Dark! Oh, how I love you.

The_Warpact

8 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I normally play controllers.  I want control and healing, so dominators and defenders only do half.  But controllers lack damage.

But a dark defender gets an aoe stun and an aoe fear plus healing plus damage.   A dark/dark defender gets an extra aoe stun.

My Storm/Dark/Dark Defender gets four AoE stuns.  Thunder Clap, Dark Pit, Oppressive Gloom, and Tornado (weirdly, it has a stun component).

14 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I am just in love with dark themed sets, dark/dark tank, a couple necro mm, dark/dark blaster, dark troller....well you get the idea.

Its not the most powerful set and frankly I think dark should be a mix of negative energy and cold dmg, but, I digress.

But, I want to branch out into other ATs, sets, etc what are some of your toons or builds you have had.

Was thinking of making a Dark/Invul brute next but I'm open to suggestions.

Dark/Savage Dominator is both effective and great fun.

Dark/Sonic Defender is very strong defensively, and okay offensively solo... but great for team damage. Also a ton of control, so it's like a Controller who doesn't need Containment to do damage.

• Like 2

My dark/dark stalker is by far my favorite solo content character. Works really good in teams too.

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

13 hours ago, Coyote said:

Dark/Sonic Defender is very strong defensively, and okay offensively solo... but great for team damage. Also a ton of control, so it's like a Controller who doesn't need Containment to do damage.

Yes, my dark/sonic is one of the few characters that I feel is fantastic for both solo and teaming. 

I have played on some very potent superteams.

That said the single most potent team I've played on was a 5 character group my friends and I put together we called the Twilight Brotherhood.  They all had to have at least one power set that was Dark.  They were crushing anything and everything by the early to mid 20's at +4/×8.

1 DM/Willpower scrapper

1 Dark Miasma/Archery defender

1 Dark Miasma/Dark Blast defender

1 Cold Dom/Dark Blast defender

1 Sonic Res/Dark Blast defender

We bored ourselves to death.  One of the last things crushed was the Agent G mission arc in Faultline ended in Arbiter Sands inside Arachnos base getting ready to flee via submarine (iirc).  

Edit: it's one of two teams our group had that I really would have loved seeing at 50 fully IO'd and Incarnated.  Outside of suggesting grabbing Cold to the one friend it wasn't planned, just a really effective grouping.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

I've had a blast with my ninja/dark stalker. I added combat teleport to the build, with a single-key bind to "Goto" my current target "/bind g powexec_location target Combat Teleport" and I can teleport around while in hide and set up assassination strikes. Thematically, it really holds together when you recolor the pool powers to match the dark theme.

• Like 1

Panda welcomes you to the fraternity of Darkness we have cookies and juice boxes and the coloring books are over there, heres your Tshirt

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

On 3/19/2021 at 10:42 AM, Crasical said:

I'm considering backburner-ing my Warshade on the grounds that I'm not having fun playing him, but I do really like the costumes and backstory, so I might recycle them into a dark something. Maybe a brute?

1) How is dark/dark on a brute?
2) Can you color Dark to get that kind of ominous purple nictus glow?

My main is a Dark/Dark/Soul Brute.  It is insanely good.  

Dark....Dark is special.  I would not run Dark Armor without Dark Melee.  Not just for theme, but because the insanely good synergy.  Lock and Key perfect fit.  Dark melee feeds off Recharge.  Dark Armor is Resistance based.  So.... Increase resistance some.  Global Recharge.  My main Dark/Darks best Def is mid 30s.  Because against most stuff that layer of protection is okay.  against really hard stuff 40s aint enough.  and against debuffers Def goes away. (no Debuff Res for Def on Dark)  Dark depends on semi stealth, and two Mez auras to do some of the lifting for protection.  Odd set.  Dark/Dark uses the rule Stealth>Mez>Def>Res>Heal.  Dont get seen, stun the garbage, Defense is prob going to be meh - (EXCEPT that all Dark attacks add a tohitdebuff, pumping my Def by debuffing my opponents!), Resists what you can, best heal in the game.  One of the mez auras has crap base accuracy.  Global Accuracy needs to be pumped.  Need Recharge and Global Accuracy?  Purple Sets!  Which pump some odd resists!  My Psi Res is over 89% stone cold.  Running a Dark/Dark is like running a Nerva Spectral Demon.  You want high accuracy and you debuff your opponents accuracy. It is a complex juggernaut doing a damage aura, 2 mez auras, a lot of Damage over Time.  It is just a painful blob you dump where the enemy does not want you and survive whatever they do to get you to go away.  oh, if you die (rare) you rez with a huge stun (which is great, but you spent a LOT of time throwing all the toggles back on lol)

On 3/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, TheOtherTed said:

Dark/Dark corruptor = well nigh invulnerable.

I made a Dark/Dark Corruptor today.  I 50d an Ice/Cold Corruptor a month or so ago.  Insanely good.  i rarely ran Corr because back in the day I was pissy Redside did not get Blasters.  Now I look at Dark/Dark Corr with different eyes.  And I like what I see!  I am committed to my Brute through Oct or 3000 vet levels whichever comes first lol.  But I think I can find some time to explore how to run a very very dark Corruptor.  Mainly starting by researching builds/tactics.  Just parked at level 1 right now waiting for a minute to do DFBs and pencil in a levelling build.