The Joys of Roleplay

Arctique

Well, figured somebody should make this to contrast with the Pet Peeves thread.

What are some things you really enjoy seeing in RPs? What things do other roleplayers do that impress you? What helps make the act of roleplaying more fun and engaging to you?

One thing that I always have fun with is when people just "roll with it" and play along with your character's concept. My favourite example of this being my character of Lord Dreadnaut, a literal saturday morning cartoon villain brought to life. So it always makes things a lot of fun when people lean into that, having their character comment on having grown up watching the made up show he spawned from. Those simple moments of playing along with another character's lore can help it feel a lot more "tangible" in a way. Nothing about Lord Dreadnaut or his cartoon series exists in CoH's established lore, it's completely made up by me, but it always ends up feeling like some well established part of the game's world because of people reading his bio and/or paying attention to his general concept, and just playing along instead of going "Literally who?" when first encountering him.

What kinds of things make RP fun to everyone else?

• Like 4

I really appreciate it when players take time to contemplate the deeper sociological factors at play in a setting which has cultural touchstones like this one.  Players who think to ask the question "what's the reasonable way the society would continue to function in such an alien setting as this one, when you consider the deep impact that living in a post-war/post-global catastrophe world, where literal gods have disrupted the lives of common folk.  What does it look like trying to keep your head down and living a normal life with such extremes?  What factors push someone in to trying to step up and do something about it?  Perhaps more interestingly, where does someone go after they decide to throw in the towel?  Is there any going back?  What does PTSD look like here?  With crime being so prevalent and powerful, what does the average citizen do in the face of being caught up in constant events that threaten to destroy their agency, health, and security?

When players take time to ask all those questions and more, and then let their estimations of the answers inform the roleplay . . . that's the stuff I really enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is important for me to grouse about how lazy the Freedom Phalanx is.  Especially Manticore.  Also he isn't fooling anyone with that fake ass hair.  Dude is bald. 

I like playing irreverent, gritty, street level characters ala Gotham's non batpeople.  

4 hours ago, Arctique said:

What kinds of things make RP fun to everyone else?

For me, I enjoy when people are engaged enough in RP plots I've created that their characters attempt to offer solutions or directions to take a given plot that I may not have even thought of when initially planning the story. 

It's more engaging for players when their characters are listened to and you can pivot a potential plotline to include these other suggestions.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Starforge said:

For me, I enjoy when people are engaged enough in RP plots I've created that their characters attempt to offer solutions or directions to take a given plot that I may not have even thought of when initially planning the story. 

It's more engaging for players when their characters are listened to and you can pivot a potential plotline to include these other suggestions.

100% this, I can barely even count how many times I've been developing a storyline on a character, only for another character's ideas/theories to help completely change the direction I was planning to go with it. I love those moments of just going "Oh snap, that's way cooler than what I actually had planned, I might work that in."

It's the collaboration that makes RP so fun, involving each other in the creative process.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

I really appreciate it when players take time to contemplate the deeper sociological factors at play in a setting which has cultural touchstones like this one.  Players who think to ask the question "what's the reasonable way the society would continue to function in such an alien setting as this one, when you consider the deep impact that living in a post-war/post-global catastrophe world, where literal gods have disrupted the lives of common folk.  What does it look like trying to keep your head down and living a normal life with such extremes?  What factors push someone in to trying to step up and do something about it?  Perhaps more interestingly, where does someone go after they decide to throw in the towel?  Is there any going back?  What does PTSD look like here?  With crime being so prevalent and powerful, what does the average citizen do in the face of being caught up in constant events that threaten to destroy their agency, health, and security?

When players take time to ask all those questions and more, and then let their estimations of the answers inform the roleplay . . . that's the stuff I really enjoy!

This. I hate over the top plots, and REALLY hate handwaving the consequences, so seeing people react realistically to the things going on in this weird city/world is always a breath of fresh air. It’s also why if I had more time on my hands, I would love to join a Neutral SG thats more realistically grounded, where contemplation of these deeper sociological aspects takes center stage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Similarly for Shadowrun.

I know there's the big debate between Pink Mohawk and Black Trenchcoat, but I say:  Black Mohawk in a Pink Trenchcoat.  

Examine the setting from the perspective of Shadowrunners who are just trying to make a living.  They may look up to the Pink Mohawks and the Black Trenchcoats, but deep down they know that they're just not EXTREEEEEM! enough and not professionally paranoid enough to fit either category.  They try to comfortably live in the middle until they can retire from their life of crime.

• Like 1

When you are so into the character and the story being woven by everyone involved that you look up and go, "Where did those four hours go?"

I mean humans, just everyday people, are capable of telling each other the most interesting, engaging and wonderful stories all without anything more than a few props and a few shared verbal and visual cues.  We have been doing it since we huddled together in caves around a fire. I can only hope we will continue to do so long after we move to the stars.

/Pollyanna off

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later
On 3/19/2021 at 4:33 PM, Arctique said:

"Well, figured somebody should make this to contrast with the Pet Peeves thread."

Positivity goes a long ways.  And in the Pet Peeves there is some attempt at looking on the brighter side in the form of some trying to offer solutions or ideas to help with the 'pet peeves'.
This is probably the best next step.  A focus on what brings us all into this game, or why some of us returned to it.  A genuinely very good post!

On 3/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, rookery. said:

When you are so into the character and the story being woven by everyone involved that you look up and go, "Where did those four hours go?"

I mean humans, just everyday people, are capable of telling each other the most interesting, engaging and wonderful stories all without anything more than a few props and a few shared verbal and visual cues.  We have been doing it since we huddled together in caves around a fire. I can only hope we will continue to do so long after we move to the stars.

/Pollyanna off

Just wanted to call out that this really is the best feeling, even if I'm trashed in the morning.  Some SG-mates and I were doing a silly 'teen heroes get used to their powers' thing in Atlas Park, and even knowing that I had a hard bedtime, I blitzed right past it, especially once 'established' adult heroes saw us RPing and involved themselves to give pointers and encouragement.  Sometimes, RP just clicks, and that's a dragon I chase every time I load into CoX.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lead of the <New Praetorians Initiative> supergroup.  Goldside enjoyer.  Perennial RP-etiquette overthinker.

Most of my writing is SG-internal, but the following are SFMA that anybody should be able to play if you want new story-based content.

• NPI: Duray, Duray | 25575: - The New Praetorians scramble to stop the Praetorian and Primal Virgil Durays from getting the band back together.
  • NPI: Brickstown Vice | 36729, 40648, 40803 - The New Praetorians aid Marauder in a drug bust that dredges up his past.  Branches into two paths.
  • NPI: Red Resistance | 43796 - The New Praetorians run afoul of vigilantes after a robbery gone wrong.  Crossover with <Hero Corps Founders Falls>.
  • NPI: Leucochloridium | 44863: - A wellness check on a Woodvale cleanup officer turns over unfinished, Praetorian business.
  • How Emperor Cole Saved Christmas | 45794 - A 100% authentic simulation of how Emperor Cole singlehandedly saved the holiday of Christmas!
  • Bassilisk | 51947 - Several Paragon City villain groups fight over the Rikti's dumbest entirely-canonical doomsday weapon.
  • A Freakshow Love Story | 54544 - Ganymede the cherub calls upon heroes to break up a toxic romance that's going to have explosive fallout!

On 3/19/2021 at 9:33 PM, Arctique said:

What are some things you really enjoy seeing in RPs? What things do other roleplayers do that impress you? What helps make the act of roleplaying more fun and engaging to you?

The Roleplayer that impresses me has a multi-faceted, multi-layered character grounded in some degree of City of Heroes/Villains' setting, you've done your homework with the lore and created a character that fits perfectly in it, you could be outlandish but somehow you make it work. Every time I discover something about your character there is another layer you have ready that is simply insatiable and I want to find out more about your written artwork. You collaborate with my own characters, the back and forth is pure magic of organic roleplay with very little OOC input. You leave OOC arrangements at the wayside and always use initiative to make meetings in-character by using every feasible IC tool there is, you laid the groundwork for plots where you offer my character opportunity to shape yours via my characters actions and vice versa, Hero vs Villain or moral decisions that are not foreseeable because the surprises haven't been ruined.

There is OOC friendship but not OOC obsessiveness, we're in it to collaborate write together and have fun no matter what type of scene is underway, action, romance, drama, loss. One more important factor would be a player that sees loss for what it is; there isn't a Superhero alive in any media where 'loss' didn't shape them, didn't drive them, defeat is one of the most character-changing events that can ever occur and the Roleplayer that impresses me knows this and doesn't blow up OOC when confronted with character-changing events.

• Like 1

I'm in it for the LOLs...

That is to say, I prefer roleplay done with a light touch and good humor. I'm not the least bit interested in angst and scenery-chewing interpersonal drama. I don't give a single flying rat's bum about the deep, philosophical ramifications of using power and violence to address the symptoms of systemic social injustice in a modern fictional setting... But a friendly, cooperative team where the IC jokes, terrible puns and saucy commentary are fast and furious? Oh, heck yeah. Bring it. 

I suppose that makes me terribly shallow... But I think there's more than enough drama, angst and discussion of Important Social Issues to be found *outside* of the game world. I really don't need to deal with it inside the game world, too. 

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'm really impressed when people play characters with complex human motivations/emotions that differ from the player.

Because usually it's one or the other - either they're carbon copies of the player and therefore have depth, or they're nothing like the player, and are just a cardboard cutout.

• Like 2

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

This

On 6/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, America&#x27;s Angel said:

I'm really impressed when people play characters with complex human motivations/emotions that differ from the player.

Because usually it's one or the other - either they're carbon copies of the player and therefore have depth, or they're nothing like the player, and are just a cardboard cutout.

And this

On 3/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, rookery. said:

I love to ask people to talk in-depth about their characters. You're a scientist? I'm probably going to ask you physics questions. Pirate? How did you get there? And I am always impressed with how well thought out their backgrounds are. 

I like it when people who you've just met will go all-in with you. Have a nice long, deep conversation.  In general, I just like it when people really get into their roleplaying.

• Like 3

• 5 months later

I heard a lot of property investors/landlords in Peregrine Island are losing a lot of money right now because of the devouring earth, circle of thorns, and rikti presence that has basically ruined the once-popular beaches and tourism there. meanwhile rent in Atlas Park is rising to astronomical levels, as it's far and away the safest part of town..  in other news, Paragon City is still completely devoid of children. 

I still think the El Super Mexicano in faultline has the best food in the city though.

Edited by Azari

On 6/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, TwoDee said:

Just wanted to call out that this really is the best feeling, even if I'm trashed in the morning.  Some SG-mates and I were doing a silly 'teen heroes get used to their powers' thing in Atlas Park, and even knowing that I had a hard bedtime, I blitzed right past it, especially once 'established' adult heroes saw us RPing and involved themselves to give pointers and encouragement.  Sometimes, RP just clicks, and that's a dragon I chase every time I load into CoX.

Funny you say dragon.*

*This is no way is an advertisement to chase my main around the city, but hey, if that's how ya get your kicks, I'm game for that too.

Ah but to add to the thread: I absolutely love running into characters that are as off the wall and multifaceted as my own are. There's just something really enchanting about finding a group of characters that just clicks with you and really digs your story telling as well as giving their own perspectives and story line threads to play with along the way.

Edited by CrystalDragon
OKAY my conscience got to me. Had to add this.
  • Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• 3 months later

No matter what my character concept is, I can always find a SG or just a group of people who have similar concepts and are welcoming to people outside their existing circle, and if I can't, then I can make one and at least a few people will show interest (the only problem with that last option is that IRL stuff and other games take up enough time that I can't maintain an SG, and I have zero experience leading one anyway so I don't trust myself doing it).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I do love listening to people's stories, and mostly the low-powered ones. I know we can all run 50-level characters with all our incarnates, and that's fine. But I'm more interested in your dealings with everyday problems and/or adventures than I am hearing how much more powerful than Statesman you are.  ie. I prefer RP with people whose powers don't define them, but are instead supplemental to who they are.

• Like 4