Character list sorting options

biostem

I tend to jump between many alts, (mostly to work on costumes or try different character concepts out), and my character roster has grown quite large.  I thought I'd put it out there that I'd love to be able to have an "order of most recently played", "creation date", and other such sorting options, (perhaps by AT, hero/villain, alphabetically, etc).  Perhaps an option to tag certain characters as "favorites", and have them bumped to the front of the list, could also or alternatively be implemented.  Your thoughts & thanks for reading!

• Like 6

Similar things have been asked for before and I *still* think it'd be a good idea. More sorting options (and tagging,) please!

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

While I am not against this suggestion, I was under the impression that the user can sort their characters manually - do you mean like a filter option? Or something server/account wide sorting? (like alphabetically or by AT?)

From the description, expanded filters for the character list, it sounds like.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

While I am not against this suggestion, I was under the impression that the user can sort their characters manually - do you mean like a filter option? Or something server/account wide sorting? (like alphabetically or by AT?)

I honestly was not aware that you could manually sort your characters, so thank you for bringing that to my attention!  That being said, I would still like some more sorting options.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

You *can* manually sort (drag and drop.) You can even edit the playerslots.txt file, but that can lead to its own issues (newer characters sometimes not appearing because the file's not being updated, etc.) Plus it's not allowing some of the other options people have requested.

• Thanks 1

I tend to sort my characters by "spaces" between the character types and what I use them for. I have 3 supergroup characters that are used as alts to get myself into my various supergroups (I have a lot of enhancements) especially to "gear" the newbies for play. Those alts are separated by a character create space and then it proceeds to my various fire blasters (I love fire blast) and then I add another space for some of my various interesting "alts." I try not to have any characters I flat out just do not use at all, so if I don't end up playing a character for a month, then it's probably getting deleted or exiled to a low-population server. 

There's already a thread for this and I created a Utility/App request based on that person's thread as well. Both accessible via the link below.

• Thanks 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

@WanderingAries I think since we had four 'no power pool limit' threads in less than a week we can allow for two 'character sorting' threads in the space of a half a year 🤣

That being said, having a link to other discussions is much appreciated so we can avoid repeating things too much and bring fresh ideas forward.

So long as people don't complain when I necro. 😂

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 3 weeks later

Low impact way to get this feature with (hopefully) minimal Dev time is two part:

1:  Make a slash command for "export all character details on Shard," and let the community develop some third-party sorting programs to apply orders on the playerslot.txt file.

2:  Add a button to the character selection screen that refreshes the sorting based on the playerslot.txt file.

18 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Low impact way to get this feature with (hopefully) minimal Dev time is two part:

1:  Make a slash command for "export all character details on Shard," and let the community develop some third-party sorting programs to apply orders on the playerslot.txt file.

2:  Add a button to the character selection screen that refreshes the sorting based on the playerslot.txt file.

From a coding standpoint, I don't see #1 working at all as the slash commands (I believe) only work for the active character. #2 is the most plausible route from the team's standpoint, but IDK how the character database and the server interact. It 'should' be as 'simple' as adding the function, but who knows how spaghettified that part of the game is.

Indeed.

There's probably a host of backend that needs to happen first to allow a player who is presently logged in to a specific character to have some capacity to also access the login server/character database simultaneously.  And I have NO idea how feasible that is.  That's a part of the code which I haven't even made an effort to look at yet.

I'd rather they fixed the issue where renaming a toon doesn't cause another toon to suddenly overlay onto you renamed toon. 

Example 

I have 45 toons. I renamed the toon in the 3rd slot. They toon in the 4th slot now overlays on top to now be in the 3rd slot. The renamed toon is still in the 3rd slot but you have to move the 4th toon off of the 3rd toon. I tried deleting the /playerslot and that didn't correct it. I had to transfer toons 3-45 to other servers and then transfer them all back. I used my 2nd account to save all my toons names as I did the transfers. I'd rather get this fixed seeing how on live you could move your toons from 1 page to next with no issues.