Bring back some of the old game

Hello longtime fan and one of the original players from the release back in 04.  Coh was a big part of my childhood and the fact I’m able to play it again is just truly amazing.

It’s great to be back here with all you fine people I’m Lone Soldier pvp from infinity you may have fought my scrapper or stalker back in the day maybe not. 

To the point I’ll make it short.

Buff Argo caps for brutes and tankers. I’m from a time when they could herd 100s of npc at once now that’s completely broken I’ll admit. But 17 seems kinda small for what we used to do. Would be awesome if they buffed the Argo limit would make farming dope to be honest I miss that about the old coh herding 30 plus mobs at once. More then 20 less then 32 for Argo limit only for brutes and tankers. It’s not game breaking and makes it somewhat more like the glory days.

also controllers please bring back multiple summons it’s not about being overpowered it’s just about being fun having 12 fire imps at once is so much fun it’s the only change that ever made me upset with coh I understand balance and all but come on we love having multiple pet summons if your from that time I’m sure you miss it. Adjust the numbers make them weaker and allow more seems best way to balance it it’s purely for fun aspect which is why we play the game. 

I respect that you're making an honest recommendation based on what you believe would be good for the game. 

I personally oppose both suggestions. You have *every* right to make these suggestions, and *every* right to disregard or disagree with my reasoning.

Aggro Cap:  Honestly, 16 seems plenty enough to me.  More than that and mobs literally can't pack themselves close enough to you to all attack at once.  Like, you're literally surronded to the point that the next crowd of people who want to punch/kick/stab/maul you can't physically reach you. And shooters are shooting through allies. Admittedly there's no such thing as friendly fire, but strictly from a point of view of realism, I don't think we need to go for the scene where The Blues Brothers finally get arrested. (although, that is hilarious). From a point of view of gameplay, sure, I can see it being a power trip for tanks and brutes.... if you're the one with the aggro.  If you're the 2nd or 3rd tank on a team, you'll be a 5th wheel at best. Whereas with the aggro cap of 16, a second tanking class can actually hold some aggro.  

Multiple Summons:  Between Lore Pets, Controller Pets, Patron Pets, Shivans, Vanguard HVAS, other misc Temp Power Pets, you can still do swarms when you want. Maybe not 24/7, but you can do them when it's time to pull out ALLLLL the stops.  And I find the game plenty fun enough as is, without putting the final few nails in the coffin of balance. 

Still. Ultimately, it's not up to me, it's up to the Devs. Whether or not they agree with you, whether or not they respond, they do read these forums, so keep the suggestions coming, even if I or some other posters don't agree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I feel like the aggro oriented AT's ought to have higher caps. Maybe if the other AT's had lower ones to balance. But this is one ofthose small change make a big difference things, and there'd be lots of unintended consequences.

4 hours ago, Alodylis said:

Hello longtime fan and one of the original players from the release back in 04.  Coh was a big part of my childhood and the fact I’m able to play it again is just truly amazing.

It’s great to be back here with all you fine people I’m Lone Soldier pvp from infinity you may have fought my scrapper or stalker back in the day maybe not. 

To the point I’ll make it short.

Buff Argo caps for brutes and tankers. I’m from a time when they could herd 100s of npc at once now that’s completely broken I’ll admit. But 17 seems kinda small for what we used to do. Would be awesome if they buffed the Argo limit would make farming dope to be honest I miss that about the old coh herding 30 plus mobs at once. More then 20 less then 32 for Argo limit only for brutes and tankers. It’s not game breaking and makes it somewhat more like the glory days.

also controllers please bring back multiple summons it’s not about being overpowered it’s just about being fun having 12 fire imps at once is so much fun it’s the only change that ever made me upset with coh I understand balance and all but come on we love having multiple pet summons if your from that time I’m sure you miss it. Adjust the numbers make them weaker and allow more seems best way to balance it it’s purely for fun aspect which is why we play the game. 

Server Rebirth

On 4/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, Alodylis said:

would make farming dope

Yeah, no. If farming keeps your attention now, the exra aggro cap isnt needed.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, Alodylis said:

also controllers please bring back multiple summons it’s not about being overpowered

Tell that to a fire kin with 12 imps. You have a very odd definition of Overpowered.

Extreme hard no on higher agro caps.  I DO NOT want to go back to the days where some ass tells people to wait at a corner for 5-10 minutes while they herd.  I see returning players now doing that kinda crap and it just stops the game dead.

To replicate this however, I suggest making a firefarmer and using the 2551 cavefarm map and set up camp at the major arteries of high traffic where its just nonstop fighting hordes for 5-10 minutes

On the other hand if I agro two packs the world should not end as many in this thread seem to be indicating. And what happens if I agro two packs is part of them wandering off to pick at the team.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

On the other hand if I agro two packs the world should not end as many in this thread seem to be indicating. And what happens if I agro two packs is part of them wandering off to pick at the team.

I agree.  Even more than 2 I think.  Its the being able to keep them all on the tank that's the problem.

Simply pulling 500 onto the team with no aggro control on 483?  That actually sounds fun.

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

I find myself agreeing with both you and @MTeague ironically. 

What I think could be a "compromise" would be that some specific circumstances maybe it can be okay to aggro more than 17 enemies at a time. Maybe a specific AE mission setting or something along those lines, or only along specific missions/task forces it could be "unlimited" (think ITF). 

While I wouldn't want to go back to the world of Dumpster Diving or herding every hydra in Perez, I do think the aggro cap could stand to be a little higher than it is. When you're with a full team (or have your smaller team set on a higher team-size difficulty) there *always* seem to be one or two more goons than you can keep a handle on. Which is to say, there always seems to be a goon... usually a Lt... who's absolutely determined to wander over and do terrible things to your Defender or Blaster while all of his buddies are ganging up on the Taunt Bunny. 

While I suppose you could argue that that's "A Challenge For The Squishies!", it usually makes me, rather I'm playing the tank OR the squish in question, wonder why the aggro cap and the spawn sizes so rarely seem to be in synch once you get past a certain point. Especially when the group actually doesn't have a second aggro-magnet to deal with the overage.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I guess. I actually *like* it when I'm the squishy and there's stray mobs running around.  Lets my "get outta my face!" powers get used, whether it's a KB, or Immob-And-Kite, or a Fear, or a Repel, or a shorter term Hold/Stun, etc. And the Controllers are pretty much always delighted to have stray mobs. Something to DO!

Playing the aggro-magnet, it makes me feel like I'm failing to do my job. 

Playing the defender/controller/whatever squishy, it makes me think "Why am *I* having to deal with this jerk? I have better things to do than trying to smack some stray around with my less-than-stellar damage." For every X-amount of time I spend dealing with that Lt in my face, that's x-amount of time that I'm NOT spending doing my own job for the group. 

Keep in mind, I typically run my support types with mid-level teams, not end-game wrecking balls, so that probably colors my opinions. Wrecking balls don't actually need their defenders for anything but a little extra Pew Pew. Mid-level? The story is often somewhat different.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

While I can understand the want for additional aggro caps, 1 or 2 stray mobs isn't going to murder a squishy. Usually the 'tank' is focused on the boss/EB/AV/GM or whatever big bad is out there, and if he can't grab everything, that's probably ok, because a minion or LT isn't going to last that long, even if it does target a squishy.

Masterminds already break the aggro cap, in a pretty massive way. ALL of the pets ignore aggro caps, which was added to compensate for the iTrials, so if you have a mastermind on the team, especially one with provoke, you can basically an unlimited aggro tank, as any aggro the MM gets the pets can shed off, and while they might not be able to hold it forever, they can hold it enough to protect a squishy.