Leveling Up Bug Post-Patch

SagaKoto

Hi, all.

My son logged out of a character last night after gaining a few levels and had not visited a trainer to actually level up.

This afternoon, after the update, he logged in and immediately went to War Witch to level up. 

When leveling up, it would only progress him through the odd-numbered levels.  He was not able to pick any new powers, but it allowed him to add enhancement slots.  For example, he leveled to 5, got slots, talked to War Witch. .. and was immediately taken to leveling up for level 7. . .skipping level 6 level up all together.

So basically, he ended up with a character with 3 powers across the primary and secondary pools when he should have been able to pick at least 2-3 more powers.

I was unable to replicate this, as all characters I have are up to date on their levels. . .and I suspect it only affects characters that had not yet leveled up from before the patch went live.

Edited by SagaKoto

I ran into something similar leveling from 43 to 48 (after a productive ITF). I had to visit the trainer extra times to get the levels that had been skipped, and then I was left with a stuck-on "You've leveled" graphic in the level UI. Logging out and back in fixed that problem.

So I eventually got everything the way it should be, but the powers and slots were chosen in the wrong order and there was a logout/login required.

Edit: Note that the levels were both earned and cashed in after the patch.

Edited by KeepDistance

1 hour ago, KeepDistance said:

So I eventually got everything the way it should be, but the powers and slots were chosen in the wrong order and there was a logout/login required.

Edit: Note that the levels were both earned and cashed in after the patch.

Same for me. I got level 22 in a TF, tried to level, it sort of worked, but then it kicked me out of the level up screen. I waited until the TF ended, logged out, back in, and I leveled up... 21->23->22->24->25->26.

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

11 hours ago, UberGuy said:

Out of curiosity, do the affected characters all have Super Speed?

Yes, my character had super speed but I was able to go from 30 to 35 this morning and pick 31-34 power and slots normally but at 35 wasn't able to pick a power. It counted me as leveled up when I left the mission I was in without seeing a trainer.

I plan on respecing out of SS into Hover/Fly/EvMa but hopefully they catch this.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

The code for leveling up in the respec screens is apparently rather fragile (IMO) in the sense that it figures out what level you are based on how many powers you have that meet certain criteria.

Powers in certain categories, like "temporary powers" and "inherent" don't count for this, nor do powers explicitly marked as "free" (that's a setting on the powers themselves). It looks like the "Momentum" power, which is in none of the "free" categories and not explicitly be flagged to be "free" may be the issue. If you turn of SS or let Momentum expire (it only lasts a few seconds) before you respec, the issue may not appear.

The devs have this info, so hopefully it will be fixed soon, if the above is the actual/only issue.

• City Council

We're pretty sure it's being caused by Momentum, but won't know for certain until the fix for that is in, which will most likely be Tuesday the 27th during maintenance.

In the meantime, if you end up with a character that's missing powers after a level-up hiccup, open a support ticket. A GM can verify by looking at the power list and grant a respec to fix it. Kind of a pain to have to respec but it's possible to get the character back where it should be.

Just got out of an SSB and the only travel  running was sprint.  I do have SS but I never run it in SSBs because of how often it gets suppressed off and on.   Trained up still no ss on  just sprint and it was bugged for me

This is not the City of Heroes that you remember ,  it is a new game built on what we were forced to leave behind.  Change is going to happen , because Homecoming is not your personal museum to hold your nostalgic torch too.   It has active development and will continue to evolve just like the City of Heroes we knew was changing and evolving and was about to change in massive ways.  

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.

I also had this issue last night.  I leveled from 34 to 35, but when I finally got to the trainer it just opened and closed it.  Never let me pick a power.  Before that though, I had it showing that I had a level to collect. 

My character also has Super Speed as a power.  I was probably running it at that point, but because of endurance sometimes I turn it off.  Not sure if you just have to have the power or have it running for the issue to occur.

Anyhow they are researching it and I hope to get a respec token so I can fix it.  I normally don't respec again until 42nd to put in new and better sets.  🙂

• City Council
3 hours ago, Templarstone said:

Just got out of an SSB and the only travel  running was sprint.  I do have SS but I never run it in SSBs because of how often it gets suppressed off and on.   Trained up still no ss on  just sprint and it was bugged for me

Can you post us some screenshots showing every power you've got? Including temporary powers. Also the character name and shard please.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council
23 minutes ago, G1ass said:

Anyhow they are researching it and I hope to get a respec token so I can fix it.  I normally don't respec again until 42nd to put in new and better sets.  🙂

Submit a support ticket with /petition and one of the GMs will get one over to you!

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I am having the same type of problem. My Trick Arrow characters previously had coloration on their EMP arrow and certain others, now it's reset to pure white (not the normal bluish) and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to change. Do you think a respec would fix it?

Edited by zenblack

4 hours ago, G1ass said:

I also had this issue last night.  I leveled from 34 to 35, but when I finally got to the trainer it just opened and closed it.  Never let me pick a power.  Before that though, I had it showing that I had a level to collect. 

My character also has Super Speed as a power.  I was probably running it at that point, but because of endurance sometimes I turn it off.  Not sure if you just have to have the power or have it running for the issue to occur.

Well, I got into an ITF today and leveled again and like others I got slots and then a power choice.  So no respec needed now.  Totally weird though.

Thanks all.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, zenblack said:

I am having the same type of problem. My Trick Arrow characters previously had coloration on their EMP arrow and certain others, now it's reset to pure white (not the normal bluish) and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to change. Do you think a respec would fix it?

Just for posterity sake a respec did not fix my EMP field. It is still broken.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, zenblack said:

26 minutes ago, zenblack said:

Just for posterity sake a respec did not fix my EMP field. It is still broken.

You know that the costume colorization for the no redraw Trick Arrow theme was intentionally removed, and that the pure white EMP Arrow is a bug which will be fixed with tomorrow's patch.  I miss the colorization of my EMP Arrow as well, but it is what it is.  Going on about it in Bug Reports when you know that it isn't a bug is a bit counter productive.