Ranged Damage Dealer!!! Suggestions / Feedback / Heckling

Snarky

Heyas.  still on a quest for my "main" fully Ranged Damage dealer.  I have quite the contender.  Elec/Temp/Force Blaster.  

I do not see much in the Blaster primaries that will beat Elec for Ranged Damage.  the closest contenders (Water/pistols/rifle) I have issues with.  Beam?  mebbe...  But I want to see if you guy think there is something better.

Secondaries?  I want range and sustain, range and sustain.  ideas?

Went with Force for the AoE ranged ball, the mules, etc.  Sudden Accel proc in Ball attack

So, other Blaster sets that will give this a run for ranged money?

As a curiosity, any other GREAt Ranged possiblities.  (Corr/Dom...anything?)

Thanks for feedback and ideas.

The build.  

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Snarkinator: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Force Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Lightning Bolt -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(11)
Level 1: Time Wall -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(7)
Level 2: Ball Lightning -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(37)
Level 4: Time Stop -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(23), SprEnt-End/Rchg(23), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(25), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(25), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(31)
Level 6: Charged Bolts -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 8: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 10: Chronos -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Build%(34)
Level 12: Zapp -- ExpMarks-Dmg/End/Int(A), ExpMarks-Acc/End/Rech(13), ExpMarks-Rng/FSnp(13), ExpMarks-Acc/Dmg(15), ExpMarks-Dmg/Rech(15), ExpMarks-Dmg/Int/Rng/Rech(17)
Level 14: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Stealth -- Ksm-ToHit+(A)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(42), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(43), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(43), NmnCnv-Heal(43), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(46)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Voltaic Sentinel -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(27), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(27), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), BldMnd-Acc(29), BldMnd-Dmg(31)
Level 28: Tactics -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 30: Tesla Cage -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Rchg(48), Lck-Rchg/Hold(48), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-%Hold(50)
Level 32: Thunderous Blast -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(37), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(39), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(39), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(39), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40)
Level 35: Time Shift -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(40), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(40), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(42), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), CldSns-%Dam(48)
Level 38: Time Lord -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 41: Personal Force Field -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Repulsion Bomb -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(45), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(45), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(45), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(46), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(46)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 49: Force of Nature -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1397;660;1320;HEX;|
|78DA5DD3594F13511806E033ED1484524BA9C80E1644D696C5E596288B1221418AD|
|E92B14C60626D9BB618B9F45798A8801A1710E137B8FE0BEF585D006F5C13ACDFCC|
|FB4A1A9BD0A77CA7DF39EF393D337A7BA064EDE29D3EA5F9FAE34626337941DEB36|
|6DA336A4C5B31252F6F3461A46F5809239B4C17CAFF0DFCC6E4B8919836A7228371|
|33964D5B31238EDEE67FE3D1D9542A99CE4626CC9BA20C8F1A092B351B37B25632A|
|1BC63C9643C3214B7A667B201E7F370E29695B1AE5B712B3B57EC54A229D39CF23B|
|1F474C63CA4C6766AC54D960CA8A458692E9982933DA2BCD554AAC90FC75D97935F|
|B2DE7514BBA523DBA2A5886475ED01558FC92AEC2F36D79BDF7DC4ECD759F3E80FA|
|3C5D80058BB0DB6E65AFA6305F93465DD40D4FEAD403FB655D377BDDAF503BFE9AB|
|E81956FE93B58FF1E46A4CBA3D0EB99574EAD7401962DD287F0D823FA18F60A85E8|
|D50A3B500BD101C954C44C454F5C58F3293CF18C3EA74B30B40C4FDB578699BC1BC|
|859B249B7E0D16DBA034B3F42AF04F2A157F93E603E9FD4FCC8A2FC07429DAE1AA5|
|1660F6C07FD987247B90D9835734A7D6360EDBA374825E85E16B3020F39673ADF27|
|2D4CAA456C14C1521AC7156A8E21EAB3EA156FD997E81B5BB740FD6EFC3A0CC57C3|
|356AE6658F415D9DB1B7C5CC75DFB0EFAEEFF407ECF9497FD1DFF09CFD48B2B7E18|
|077EB0F3C95A3F62DB1D5608B0B5E92B36A646FE3BACB39DB960DBA09DBB6E836EC|
|DA81C3D2DBCC7D34F7E23958115A7956AD3CBF55F9413B78561DCCD7C97C9DCCD7C|
|97C61E60BAFA3BE2AF345B846A44273D65D935A37D7E8BE8B33A8D5155F39A5AA79|
|1FF4C3E73937923F1EC6F898CE61A969BC3BBBC587CFB1D29A50DBCFAF85B0CFBDF|
|C5A2BBEF735BFC65C97DB0FB3E6FA8252629EBFC542D0CC|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

• Like 1

My original main main (not one of my alt mains lol) is an E3 blaster and he was pretty awesome.  I'll be honest though I haven't played him much since HC came along.  Just so many things to do, you know?  I like what you came up with.  Not sure how it will play or feel but it sounds very viable.

Since HC came back I will admit that I've been on mostly a melee binge due to all of the fun things that can be done with Tankers, Brutes and Scrappers.  But I have not forgotten my ranged toons, and there are many.  I just have not had enough time yet to give you any good feedback yet on this.  Give me a couple more years to get caught up!  lol

On this topic I should point out that I embraced the 'melee' side of my blaster as well as ranged attacks.  He was designed for ranged but could hold his own when mobs moved in close (for a bit, he was still a bit of a glass canon).  Not really full on blapper - I awlays wanted to try that too.  Sheesh.  SO MUCH To DO!  Maybe I should take a break from my gazillion other projects and give my blaster some love.  For that matter I have other ranged toons I should start playing more.  I mention this because I know you would like to play a blaster that is pure range (at least I think I picked up on that somewhere) and stay away from blapper builds.

I think maybe I'll start running my blaster for a bit to see what he can do.  I basically p/l'ed him to get him remade and have yet to really kick the tires.  Hmmm...

Oh and while I really really like electric (on most AT's) honestly I find the -end thing to be pretty useless, at least the way I play.  So if you are going to pick Electric, don't choose it for that or prepare to be a bit disappointed.

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

I mean, maybe I'm totally wrong but I was under the impression that Fire was the uncontested king of blaster primaries.

Fire/Temp is what I run, fully IO setted and everything, full incarnates... it is undeniably my strongest ranged.

Elec/Energy is a good combo if you want to use electrical primary.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Psede said:

I mean, maybe I'm totally wrong but I was under the impression that Fire was the uncontested king of blaster primaries.

Fire/Temp is what I run, fully IO setted and everything, full incarnates... it is undeniably my strongest ranged.

I would kill to make this a Dark Blaster.  Seriously.  Just say....um.  Yeah, okay.  But Dark, and Fire have PBAoE T9s.  Elec has a ranged T9 (60 that I have squeezed out to 75...)  That means my shortest range attack chain is AoE at 75...  and I only close to this "short" range once every 30 seconds or so if things are hot.  My normal combat range is right at 100.  Softcapped Range Def, and how many mobs really throw AoE out past 80???      I only get hit by crap when in tunnels, caves, and office bldgs.  I even do Fire Support for +4/x8 Farm (any damage type) as long as it has a 'real' outdoor map.  That asteroid you can keep.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I would kill to make this a Dark Blaster.  Seriously.  Just say....um.  Yeah, okay.  But Dark, and Fire have PBAoE T9s.  Elec has a ranged T9 (60 that I have squeezed out to 75...)  That means my shortest range attack chain is AoE at 75...  and I only close to this "short" range once every 30 seconds or so if things are hot.  My normal combat range is right at 100.  Softcapped Range Def, and how many mobs really throw AoE out past 80???      I only get hit by crap when in tunnels, caves, and office bldgs.  I even do Fire Support for +4/x8 Farm (any damage type) as long as it has a 'real' outdoor map.  That asteroid you can keep.

Meh. I built mine to softcap defenses with decent resists, and basically sit in melee with everyone else for those sweet sweet buffs. I tanked the last two TFs I ran. Synapse at 24 was well before soft capped defenses but the time/ defender took care of that.

honestly, there is no need to be purely ranged once setted out unless youre only building ranged defense. I built S/L/F/C/E/N and its a noticeable increase in survival vs just ranged defense. Ranged at that point just becomes a way to defeat stuff that happens to not be in melee range.

• Haha 1

Beam is my fav of the all-ranged choices personally. Have a Beam/Time Blaster, Beam/TA Blaster, and TA/Beam Defender all with zero melee powers

Your S/T chain is awesome and your nuke is sexy.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Psede said:

Meh. I built mine to softcap defenses with decent resists, and basically sit in melee with everyone else for those sweet sweet buffs. I tanked the last two TFs I ran. Synapse at 24 was well before soft capped defenses but the time/ defender took care of that.

honestly, there is no need to be purely ranged once setted out unless youre only building ranged defense. I built S/L/F/C/E/N and its a noticeable increase in survival vs just ranged defense. Ranged at that point just becomes a way to defeat stuff that happens to not be in melee range.

True, anymore every AT can do almost everything.  Heck, when I made my rad/fire/mu farm build just to see how it compared to my fire/fire/en I p/l him to 50 then as a hero then took him to null the gull to go villain to get mu mastery.  I was able to do most of the Scirocco patron arc without even slotting any enhancements because I didn't want to have to build the build twice  (I did eventually cave and slot up the build for the sake of time but I was doing it with no enhancements, which is crazy). 

But I think for Snarky (I don't mean to speak for you bud) he wants a pure ranged blaster for the principle of actually having a purely ranged toon, which I can understand.  Even though it's not needed in the current state of the game.  Honestly most of the stuff we are doing at this point isn't really needed, it's more for flavor to borrow a term I believe Snarky has used before.

I for one am curious what he comes up with.  😉

Edited to add:   Now I am looking at my E3 blaster build trying to figure out what I was building.  It's like being a dev who forgets to comment in the code and now I'm staring at it going...  hmmm...  It's either ingenious, or I threw it together.  

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

I do not see much in the Blaster primaries that will beat Elec for Ranged Damage.  the closest contenders (Water/pistols/rifle) I have issues with.

I take it you also have a problem with Ice? I mean, if I were making assumptions about it I would say that it's because the (good) AoEs are all rain powers, but it will beat Electric for ranged single target damage for certain, and Blizzard is also a ranged nuke.

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

Heyas.  still on a quest for my "main" fully Ranged Damage dealer.  I have quite the contender.  Elec/Temp/Force Blaster.  

I do not see much in the Blaster primaries that will beat Elec for Ranged Damage.  the closest contenders (Water/pistols/rifle) I have issues with.  Beam?  mebbe...  But I want to see if you guy think there is something better.

*headscratch* Elec is one of the weaker sets due to the sapping tax, but you're praising it? What am I missing?

The strongest ranged will be always Fire.  You need to dip in once every 40 seconds for a nuke and then you move out of melee range. In exchange you get the strongest damaging set. When in doubt consult Mids and just check the damage of the nuke.

Fire just does it all. But if you want better AoE you can go Water. The ST lags but the AoE is amazing. Plus you get a decent heal in Dehydrate that you can frankenslot so it heals for 20% of your HP every 3 seconds or so. Ice edges a bit ahead of Fire for single target if you proc out the attacks, but then greatly lags behind in AoE.

So, again, Fire is the best that you go but you have a go-into-melee-range-once-every-40-seconds tax to pay for it. I wouldn't stress about this as any Blaster can be made to be softcapped to S/L. No Blaster needs to be glass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Ice/sonic.

Makes little sense to do tbh since /sonic’s most attractive feature is the melee -res aura. But sure you can play with just the build up/sustain/ranged hold as you can with many other sets.

Anywho, I don’t understand where this implied idea that a pure ranged build is somehow a rarity is coming from. I have at least 5 of my blasters where I’ve picked up zero reasons to enter melee, and that’s not even starting on controllers, corruptors, defenders, dominators, etc where I’ve done the same. The way Snarky here has been going at this topic for awhile, you’d think he was looking for Bigfoot.

Edited by arcane
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arcane said:

Makes little sense to do tbh since /sonic’s most attractive feature is the melee -res aura. But sure you can play with just the build up/sustain/ranged hold as you can with many other sets.

Very true, you dont get use out of the melee aura. But you do get a lot of hold synergy between ice and sonic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hew said:

Very true, you dont get use out of the melee aura. But you do get a lot of hold synergy between ice and sonic. 

Yep. But that makes it approximately equivalent to Time without Time Lord 😉 

• Like 1

Just now, Hew said:

Ahh, but fold space + -res aura + blizzard for alpha strike! And its (I think) got a range far enough to pull everything from 75 feet away.

Yes yes and I love my /sonic too, but we’re very specifically in “no melee allowed territory” in this thread for Snarky’s sake, and that -res + blapping is just too tantalizing on /sonic.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Psede said:

My understanding is that Fire is king of damage when you have multiple targets, but Beam Rifle is number one for single target damage.

Hence, when I made a character specifically for assisting with 'Really Hard Way' badge runs of the Magisterium, I went with a beam rifle / kinetics corr.

Beam rifle for damage output.

Corrupter for the scourge damage as Tyrant's HP go down (and his resistance goes up).

Kinetics to crank up the team/league damage.

It's a really effective combination for teams.  Probably not the best for soloing since only some of your secondary powers can affect yourself, but good enough for me.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

My understanding is that Fire is king of damage when you have multiple targets, but Beam Rifle is number one for single target damage.

So you're counting the -regen in the damage numbers?

20 hours ago, Psede said:

Snarky doesn’t want any melee, so, short of skipping a nuke like a madman, fire is outside the scope of this thread.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, arcane said:

Beam is my fav of the all-ranged choices personally. Have a Beam/Time Blaster, Beam/TA Blaster, and TA/Beam Defender all with zero melee powers

Your S/T chain is awesome and your nuke is sexy.

I tend to dislike redraw and disappearing weapons.

Then again, i dont LOVE Elec.  But I sure like it...

I do have a costume/character idea I have toyed with.  I may drag it out for a Beam Rifle setup and see if it is better than Elec.  The character is based off of Cryptosporidium from the "Kill All Humans" games.  I just love an uplifting game, don't you?

What are really good RANGED secondaries for Beam Rifle?

10 hours ago, Sovera said:

*headscratch* Elec is one of the weaker sets due to the sapping tax, but you're praising it? What am I missing?

The strongest ranged will be always Fire.  You need to dip in once every 40 seconds for a nuke and then you move out of melee range. In exchange you get the strongest damaging set. When in doubt consult Mids and just check the damage of the nuke.

Fire just does it all. But if you want better AoE you can go Water. The ST lags but the AoE is amazing. Plus you get a decent heal in Dehydrate that you can frankenslot so it heals for 20% of your HP every 3 seconds or so. Ice edges a bit ahead of Fire for single target if you proc out the attacks, but then greatly lags behind in AoE.

So, again, Fire is the best that you go but you have a go-into-melee-range-once-every-40-seconds tax to pay for it. I wouldn't stress about this as any Blaster can be made to be softcapped to S/L. No Blaster needs to be glass.

.... I feel like I'm talking to a used Car Salesman after I ask for a Blue Sedan and he directs me to a Red Sports Car...  "This is the car you want!"

I can do fire support for +4/x8 Fire Farms (or any farms) on my Elec Blaster.  Heck, i dont even wait for the melee squad to pull. I prefer to hit a fresh spawn first.  Hover above them, about 80-85 range.  Pick centered mob.  Build up, (Aim+Chronos) Hit Thunderous Blast.  move down to 75.  BOOM.  Ball Lightning Repulsion Bomb.  If Gaussian Triggers sometimes the entire mob disaapears.  poof.  At least half of them do no matter what.  hover up a little to 100.  plink, snipe, more AoE balls.  Untouchable.  The mobs dont even know what to do.  They (the ones that are left) race around in circles.  repeat every 47 seconds.  never take a single point of damage the entire farm.  Try that on a Fire Blaster....

Just now, Snarky said:

I tend to dislike redraw and disappearing weapons.

Then again, i dont LOVE Elec.  But I sure like it...

I do have a costume/character idea I have toyed with.  I may drag it out for a Beam Rifle setup and see if it is better than Elec.  The character is based off of Cryptosporidium from the "Kill All Humans" games.  I just love an uplifting game, don't you?

What are really good RANGED secondaries for Beam Rifle?

To expand my list, the following blasters of mine are all built for zero-melee:

Beam/Time

Beam/TA

Water/Plant

Arch/Nrg

AR/Dev

Electric being the other primary with a ranged nuke.

All of those secondaries with the exception of Devices (build literally only grabbed Cloaking Device and Targeting Drone) have at least 3 solid picks for ranged play when taking procced out holds into account. Time goes one further with Time Lord, but it would seem that mainly Energy and especially Tactical Arrow give you the most ranged toys. I’d say the hierarchy might look something like this for ranged only powers:

Tactical Arrow (All Ranged!!) > Energy > Time > Any others with a ranged hold.

And then the bottom end being sets like Fire, Ice, Electric, and then the very bottom two being Mental (melee sustain power) then Dark (melee sustain AND melee build up). 

I think you want TA, Energy, or Time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

.... I feel like I'm talking to a used Car Salesman after I ask for a Blue Sedan and he directs me to a Red Sports Car...  "This is the car you want!"

I can do fire support for +4/x8 Fire Farms (or any farms) on my Elec Blaster.  Heck, i dont even wait for the melee squad to pull. I prefer to hit a fresh spawn first.  Hover above them, about 80-85 range.  Pick centered mob.  Build up, (Aim+Chronos) Hit Thunderous Blast.  move down to 75.  BOOM.  Ball Lightning Repulsion Bomb.  If Gaussian Triggers sometimes the entire mob disaapears.  poof.  At least half of them do no matter what.  hover up a little to 100.  plink, snipe, more AoE balls.  Untouchable.  The mobs dont even know what to do.  They (the ones that are left) race around in circles.  repeat every 47 seconds.  never take a single point of damage the entire farm.  Try that on a Fire Blaster....

Completely immune to damage? Well, no, I mean, sometimes we get hit even through 45% defense 😄 But if it's what you want then go for it. I was guilty of not thoroughly reading the first post and how you really wanted the full ranged experience. I can't blame you, I used to be like that too.

• Thanks 1

Archery/Tac Arrow.  Both use the bow, so weapon redraw is at a minimum.

Glue Arrow you get verrrrry early and is very handy for kiting across and making baddies run to you (slowly) isntead of attacking. 

Yea it's lethal damage (mostly) but it still does a heck of a job on critters. and you get quite the toolkit in your secondary to draw on.