Voltaic Sentinel

Why is Voltaic Sentinel for Elec still a thing?  Does anyone use it or even find it worth using?  Us Electric users need something better I think.  I'd like it completely removed and something else put in it's place but if that's not an option then possibly make it a pet that doesn't need to constantly be summoned.  Just summon once and have it stay with you.

3 hours ago, crakerhacker said:

Why is Voltaic Sentinel for Elec still a thing?  Does anyone use it or even find it worth using?

Yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Its temporary status is going to stay because it’s not a Control/Henchmen set pet, yes. Whether or not its little attack is enough is another question. Seems ok against single targets, maybe even better if looking at sapping, but certainly feels there’s a smidge of room for improvement on the exact numbers.

Edited by arcane

I like it... it's been a while since I've played an electrical blast up to a level where I have it, so I can't comment on whether or not the numbers need to be smudged, but I'd be against changing it completely.

What this team needs is more Defenders

29 minutes ago, arcane said:

...but certainly feels there’s a smidge of room for improvement on the exact numbers.

That said, I feel it could probably benefit from a higher ranged damage modifier.

Or a stretch idea, it could be interesting to give it also a melee AoE aura that detects when mobs are surrounding it and let it detonate for a large amount of damage like a land mine as a secondary function.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly the best thing VS does is give you a 20% damage boost for something like 10 seconds. It's a pretty crap power other than this and its one piddly attack isn't otherwise worth the constant animation time and end cost to keep resummoning it.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

3 hours ago, macskull said:

Honestly the best thing VS does is give you a 20% damage boost for something like 10 seconds. It's a pretty crap power other than this and its one piddly attack isn't otherwise worth the constant animation time and end cost to keep resummoning it.

Doesn't the voltaic sentinel fire it's attack more than ten times during it's existence?  That's like 450 damage.  At 3 seconds of cast time, 150 DPA, like 20 DPE.  That's certainly the best deal in electric blast.  Is it annoying?  It sure is.  Does it's damage play out over a minute?  Of course.  Is the inability to select targets frustrating?  Naturally.  But it's a really good deal on is cast time and end cost.

4 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Doesn't the voltaic sentinel fire it's attack more than ten times during it's existence?  That's like 450 damage.  At 3 seconds of cast time, 150 DPA, like 20 DPE.  That's certainly the best deal in electric blast.  Is it annoying?  It sure is.  Does it's damage play out over a minute?  Of course.  Is the inability to select targets frustrating?  Naturally.  But it's a really good deal on is cast time and end cost.

It's kind of telling how the "best deal" in Elec is a power you can't actually control or take full advantage of.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

17 minutes ago, macskull said:

It's kind of telling how the "best deal" in Elec is a power you can't actually control or take full advantage of.

Well, I mean, if it were a blast that did 450 base damage (or more?  Not sure how many times it actually fires), it'd be pretty overtuned.  It's gotta have some downside.

I don't mean to disagree that either electric blast is in rough shape or that voltaic sentinel is a pretty obnoxious power.  But let's also note that it puts out a lot of damage during its lifespan.

What makes it a really good power is easily seen in damage per end usage. It's a tier 1 blast set on auto for a minute for a low end cost. That adds up quite a bit on the damage meter. 

It's not a great power for those only interested in how many things they can faceplant in under half a second. 

That being said, i wished i had played an elec blast set back in the day when you could get 3 out at once. Would have been lots of fun. 

I'd love to see the animation reduced or the duration extended a bit. It's a pain to constantly summon it. Sure it does a good deal of damage over a minute.... *if* a spawn lasts that long. Then it's off to the next spawn while it takes it time getting there....  time to resummon!  And the only indicator is the small icon buried in your buffs...  I may keep it, but it's extremely annoying.

• Like 1

If I were trying to make it cool, I'd give it a power that it uses on it's master (you, the player) that changes all your -END/recovery/self+END from your blast set into a +absorb shield stackable buff for 6sec.  You'd basically become a highly defensive blast set with decent DPS potential.  You can then take more offensive oriented powers if you wanted to try and shore up the offense.

So your VS would occasionally grant you a buff (call it Magnetic Barrier or something) that lets all energy drawn to you become a barrier.  I don't think it would cause an issue for a player if their blasts no longer grant +END for a time as most don't rely on it, but if that was somehow turned into an HP equivalent ontop of IOs/procs, you could become a pretty defensive option for blasting.