What are your favorite things about Sentinels?

Galaxy Brain

On 8/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

More than likely because I attempt to play her as I do everything else. I don't use amps so I have to lean on clarion, I don't spam insps proactively because I'm used to armors/debuffs/controls managing incoming damage, I don't pull to thin out spawns because I hate wasting time like that... ugh. Ahh, well, I have her at 50 and T4ed. Doesn't mean I have to ever play her solo.

Bill is my brother from another mother.  Blasters are generally too squishy for me to enjoy.  I've had a few I like, but I really only spend time with one right now.  

I tend to like one of two modes of play.  I either like to sit back and control the field and support or I like to smash face without thought.  I lack the required 300 IQ to play Blasters.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, oldskool said:

Bill is my brother from another mother.  Blasters are generally too squishy for me to enjoy.  I've had a few I like, but I really only spend time with one right now.  

I tend to like one of two modes of play.  I either like to sit back and control the field and support or I like to smash face without thought.  I lack the required 300 IQ to play Blasters.

I suggest trying Archery/Tac Blaster.  Enjoy mine.  Dual Pistols is my favorite blast set, but haven't gotten to enjoying it on a Blaster for some reason.

6 hours ago, BrandX said:

I suggest trying Archery/Tac Blaster.  Enjoy mine.  Dual Pistols is my favorite blast set, but haven't gotten to enjoying it on a Blaster for some reason.

I have one of those at 50. Thinking back on her, she was always more enjoyable than the fire/time. Perhaps it's time for that lvl 50 respec and some incarnate work.

7 hours ago, BrandX said:

That is my primary Blaster.  Despite the nerfs to Tac Arrow, I still really like it.  I kinda miss playing it as a Defender, but my original build was super gimmicky.  I haven't given it a try since the HC buffs, but since I already have a Blaster with a conceptual theme I see no point in doing it right now.  

I do like Dual Pistols/Martial Combat conceptually and visually.  My build had pretty solid S/L defense plus respectable defenses elsewhere.  However, I generally don't like weapon redraw and so it tends to make me like certain pairings less.  The only exception are my DP/Traps Corr and Dark/DP Defender.  They're doing other things and the weapon swap isn't too bothersome.  

One of the things about Blasters that tends to keep my interest low is the general array of powers.  None of it really excites me (outside a very small band of it), and I'd rather play the glass cannon control plus damage on the Dominator.  The Dominator pulls off the schtick better and caters to my bias of liking the control sets.  

So, it really is a range of things about the Blaster both in mechanics and broader appeal that just doesn't resonate with me.  I think it is awesome that folks love the AT, but it just isn't for me outside only a couple characters.  Sentinels are the opposite.  Its probably the fact that my very first hero ever was a Scrapper and so the armor set life is my jam. 

16 hours ago, oldskool said:

That is my primary Blaster.  Despite the nerfs to Tac Arrow, I still really like it.  I kinda miss playing it as a Defender, but my original build was super gimmicky.  I haven't given it a try since the HC buffs, but since I already have a Blaster with a conceptual theme I see no point in doing it right now.  

I do like Dual Pistols/Martial Combat conceptually and visually.  My build had pretty solid S/L defense plus respectable defenses elsewhere.  However, I generally don't like weapon redraw and so it tends to make me like certain pairings less.  The only exception are my DP/Traps Corr and Dark/DP Defender.  They're doing other things and the weapon swap isn't too bothersome.  

One of the things about Blasters that tends to keep my interest low is the general array of powers.  None of it really excites me (outside a very small band of it), and I'd rather play the glass cannon control plus damage on the Dominator.  The Dominator pulls off the schtick better and caters to my bias of liking the control sets.  

So, it really is a range of things about the Blaster both in mechanics and broader appeal that just doesn't resonate with me.  I think it is awesome that folks love the AT, but it just isn't for me outside only a couple characters.  Sentinels are the opposite.  Its probably the fact that my very first hero ever was a Scrapper and so the armor set life is my jam. 

I understand all that.  I'm not a blaster fan either.  The Archery/Tac Blaster, just happened to be a blaster combo that I turned out to love.  However, focusing on others, I need to respec her since the Concealment and Teleport changes. 🙂

On 7/1/2021 at 6:18 AM, Galaxy Brain said:

I've noticed a lot of negativity surrounding Sents lately, and I think it's time to turn that around! 

For me, a Sentinel was the very first thing I made on HC as it was a brand-new AT. A mix of Ranged and Armor with tweaks to both? It sounds like a blast! Combined with the big, flashy target you can apply it makes for a rather unique character compared to the rest.

How about you?

I was just playing one of my lowbie blasters. Ice/NRG... very serviceable, but one slip, one miscalculation and you're horizontal. Sentinels don't experience that at level 22.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I still don't get it. I've had smarter folk than me rework my fire/time blaster's build and she still can't survive +4/x8 (hell, she couldn't survive +2/x8 PPD in DA earlier) where my fire/bio sent breezes right along. I find the stories of blaster superiority quite silly. I live, they die, sents are superior.

Fact is blasters have to build a certain way, take certain incarnates and then they "might" come close to sentinel level of survivability. Extra defense and insane damage are pretty potent. I think blasters outclass them in raw damage but superior? I don't see it.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, BrandX said:

I have a 50+ DP/Martial blaster. She's a hoot to play, and damn near untouchable. The rare status effect that hits me is shrugged off by the built in breakfree power in Martial. I can just rick roll anything that isn't an AV or GM.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, Triumphant said:

Interesting.  I'm not sure why you're having such a struggle with your blaster. 

To be fair, I've never played fire/time.  My current main blaster is energy/energy.  He can typically fight +3/8 or +4/4.  It does vary with the enemy type, though.  I have a great deal of trouble with Praetorian Seers, for example, although I don't fight them very often so it's not really an issue.

How are you playing it? And cascading def failure is a thing unfortunately. Blasters, when played well, do not die like this. Can attest, have several at 50 that do great. Sents may just vibe with your playstyle, but blasters being inferior is a lie

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 9/5/2021 at 5:55 PM, DocRadio said:

Fact is blasters have to build a certain way, take certain incarnates and then they "might" come close to sentinel level of survivability. Extra defense and insane damage are pretty potent. I think blasters outclass them in raw damage but superior? I don't see it.

Now I want to see the numbers of AT out there at 50/played. 

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 9/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, Krimson said:

The Psi/Fire Sentinel that I am soloing hit 34 last night. Spending time bouncing back and forth between Croatoa and Brickstown. I have the build modestly slotted, so currently running between +2 to +4/x1. Once I fill in a few more sets, it will be all +4 all the time. 

Nice. In my experience /Fire wasn't the best set for mitigation. I took a Fire/Fire/Fire sent to the late veteran levels. He's my main. I'll admit he's not fully optimized. I heavily invested in recharge and damage at the cost of resist and defense but I can still pretty much solo anything. Right now I'm doing  Water\Bio and Elec\Elec builds. Both are in the mid game and show great promise.

6 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I have two Rad/Fire Brutes, so I am basically just using /Fire the way I know, which features Burn which does help a lot since I am soloing to 50. 

I didn't take Burn until the late levels. I got tired of immobiles being a weakness. Turns out I was leaving potential damage on the table. It works well with Fire Sword Circle.

Opportunity is a giant waste of time. I ignore its mechanic entirely. I also dont have the sentinel ato's slotted either, having preferred frankenslotting powertransfer _heavily_ (3 or 4 slots pt in almost every attack in elec blast, plus some in pool powers (elec/regen)) to build in massive boost to my regen secondary.

I don't like mez. At all. Anything that makes me mez proof is a win in my book, and sentinels have it in spades. Elec/regen is what I have always wanted a blaster to be for me, and its a win. 😄

• 2 months later
On 8/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, BrandX said:

When have people made it clear they're not welcome?  I haven't seen anyone go "No Sentinels!" on teams.

Yes, they need improvement, but other than people not wanting to play them, feeling they're weak, I haven't seen any kick them from teams.

I literally had a defender say... great You have armor and mez protection. I can concentrate on keeping the tanker upright thereby avoiding a team wipe. And she did... and I'd roll in and obliterate shit every few minutes with inferno. Never needed a buff.

• 2 weeks later
On 9/9/2021 at 6:13 AM, Seed22 said:

Now I want to see the numbers of AT out there at 50/played. 

Yeah, I prefer Sents to blasters. I team so the damage difference isn't glaring. What is glaring is the survivability. Sents have it. Blasters do too but it's not the same and it gives you a chance to be a bit more free and try different play styles. 

Also, making a durable blaster can be very expensive in regard to IOs for the toon. This is my main issue with blasters. I don't mind the AT but to make a good one, its an INF sink.

• Thumbs Up 2

Blasters have superior damage and number of targets (16 vs 10). hitting more targets and much harder. Sentinels are not even close. Let the Tanker take the damage. He will clear mobs much faster than a Sentinel anyway lol.

You are better off with a Scrapper or Brute than a Sentinel if you want survival and damage. They are superior both ways.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Blasters have superior damage and number of targets (16 vs 10). hitting more targets and much harder. Sentinels are not even close. Let the Tanker take the damage. He will clear mobs much faster than a Sentinel anyway lol.

You are better off with a Scrapper or Brute than a Sentinel if you want survival and damage. They are superior both ways.

Is this your favorite thing about Sentinels?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, underfyre said:

Is this your favorite thing about Sentinels?

Best i could think of lol.

Ill try better....

A Sentinel will often be the last to die standing at the back doing a small amount of damage, with the ability to flee if the team starts to wipe 😛

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 3:10 AM, Gobbledegook said:

Best i could think of lol.

Ill try better....

A Sentinel will often be the last to die standing at the back doing a small amount of damage, with the ability to flee if the team starts to wipe 😛

You're getting a ton of mileage out of your last 2 brain cells, eh 🙂 Good for you, Jack!

I find my Sents are quite durable and I get them into the mix all the time. So, my opinion is quite different from gook's. I also play Sents quite often. Gook, how often do you play them and did you kit them out etc?

• Confused 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:10 AM, Gobbledegook said:

Wait. So your favorite thing about Sentinels is the ability to cut and run and let your teammates die?

Wow. You guys really aren't selling me on the Sentinel AT.  🤪

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

It still seems to me that Blasters are for team players and Sentinels are for soloists.

Which isn't a bad thing. I actually think it's good that both of those ATs have their niches.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

4 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

You're getting a ton of mileage out of your last 2 brain cells, eh 🙂 Good for you, Jack!

I find my Sents are quite durable and I get them into the mix all the time. So, my opinion is quite different from gook's. I also play Sents quite often. Gook, how often do you play them and did you kit them out etc?

Personal insults uh? You must be really passionate about this game class  :P

I never said once they were not durable. I said they were out classed in the current state.

A scrapper or Brute is more durable and more damaging. Even a Tanker will kill faster just by hitting far more targets. I even have a Stalker that is far more durable and hugely more damaging.

I feel there are too many restrictions on the class. Either increase the target limit or increase the damage at least. One of these things would improve the class a lot straight away. Also rework Opportunity, it's a bit rubbish.

Yes i have played them and yes i have kitted them out, but i just feel they are lacking and out classed and not finished.

It is about time they received a small rework.

If i wanted a durable blaster type i would roll a PB or Veat. At least the Veat bring decent team buffs and the PB are quite unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gobbledegook said:

A scrapper or Brute is more durable and more damaging. Even a Tanker will kill faster just by hitting far more targets. I even have a Stalker that is far more durable and hugely more damaging.

This is all true for a sentinel that fights in melee range but as soon as it goes into hover mode, its durability skyrockets as the amount if incoming damage plummets. Its damage output, of course, never catches up to its melee cousins.