It's Time to Unleash Seismic Melee, A new Outlook on Geological Based Attacks

"Welcome back Omnibus" Thanks Forums... Happy 4th of July to @Tyrannical. I believe your in UK time zone so I wanted to rub in your face the American Independence since we crushed the British.

That is right I'm back with another powerset proposal. I'll go straight into the topic for this one. This is another melee set, the theme for this powerset is seismic. Now I know the vast majority of you may be thinking the following. Why do we need seismic melee if we have stone melee?

Well "Seismic" is a potential energy that focuses on the forces responsible for channeling those natural calamities such as earthquakes. Meaning that it is earth related, as it is a natural occurrence. However while Stone melee conjures earth, Seismic Melee conjures up the forces bottled up inside the earth, allowing you to tap into at your will. So you will see geological related attacks but it is not creating earth as Stone Melee does, but rather harnessing the potential energy the earth possesses from within. You are moving the earth along with you because of the forces trapped within it. Not encasing your strike with the earth itself. 

Now I would also like to address another concern that you all may be thinking. "Isn't this set way too overpowered' And to answer your question, YES IT IS, Deal with it. If you ask me we need more overpowered sets especially since the ones that were cool and had to potential to be unique kept getting nerfed on live. And since this a seismic set dealing with potential energy, you can trust me; The Potential will not be diminished unlike Kinetic Melee. @Infinitum's favorite. We need brave crusaders like him to fight for what's right.

No nerfing unique sets!!! 

A phenomenal thanks to @Vanden he has always been a fantastic help with the icon coloring for these power icons. Since I know  @ShadeknightI know you're an icon guy I hope you enjoy the multicolored retro effect he gave the icons. Gives out the sense of seismic intensity for the powerset. Furthermore in turn because of Vandens aid I'm going to promote and implement a variant of a mechanic he suggested on the forums to add onto this new powerset to make missing less possible. 

Click here to check it out.

So without further a due.

Seismic Melee 

Seismic Melee generates barrages of potential energy. The user taps within the earth crust, to harness the potential energy stored beneath them; In order to severely wound, degrade, and falter their foes; occasionally preventing their recovery and often maintaining their footing as the earth itself seems to be against them. Because of Seismic Melees overwhelming impact on the environment; Seismic Attacks ability to miss,  rapidly decreases when opponents are in the presence of seismic waves. Players are granted the ability to deal more devastating affects on the target with the function of Magnitude. Magnitude dramatically rises a players seismic output and has 3 levels of varying affects. Each move carries the affect of the specific Magnitude level they are on. Each can be diminished with a Richter Release or Finisher Move. (Magnitude affects last at a maximum of 3 seconds)

Power Tables

Brute & Scrapper

The Seismic Melee powerset is available as a primary for Brutes & Scrappers. The following table shows which level each power is available.

Power Tables

Power Level Effect  
1296697180_1SeismicStrike.png.d2d3eb0fba4687283b5fde479400ef1f.png Seismic Strike 1 Melee, Minor Damage (Smashing/Energy), Foe Disorient, Seismic Intensity, Magnitude  
2145218213_2ForeshockFist.png.a08fc33a6e51db69349429f908f2009e.png Foreshock Fist 1 Melee, Moderate DoT (Smashing/Energy), Foe Slight Knockback, -To-Hit, Seismic Intensity, Magnitude  
534404123_3DivergingBlow.png.2c0ae9145c75a1b0da8c09f78694a7a3.png Diverging Blow 2 Melee (Cone), High Damage (Smashing/Energy), Foe Knockback, Richter Release/Finisher  
285124967_4Epicenter.png.5feb67903fc5a59059c66a3238cf1974.png Epicenter 6 Self: +Damage +Jump +To-Hit, Special (Auto Magnitude 3)  
1286826651_5Shuddershock.png.863698251c661468fc902b3b3d2f272d.png Shuddershock 8 Melee, Moderate Damage (Smashing/Energy), Foe Disorient, -Def (Smashing/Energy) Seismic Intensity, Magnitude  
1312616540_6FalseFault.png.42a3e58645b26596134070a9dd56e455.png False Fault 12

Ranged, Foe Taunt -Def (Smashing/Energy) -Range

782986825_7TremblingQuake.png.c710b09561dc06f04f336d7a5ee09301.png

Quaking Chasm

18 Melee, (Targeted Area of Effect), Heavy DoT (Smashing/Energy), Foe Knockdown, Finisher  
925377538_8Shatterfist.png.f047a7f3d742ffec6f792ab30cb2a908.png Shatterfist 26 Melee, Superior Damage (Lethal/Smashing), Foe Disorient, -Res (Smashing/Energy), Finisher  
103592751_9ConvergingPlate.png.9ce1becac2d82002a2d8278857977bf3.png Converging Plate 32 Melee, (Targeted Area of Effect) Superior DoT (Smashing/Lethal/Energy), Foe Knockdown, Slow, Fear, Seismic Intensity, Magnitude
  Power Level Effect
1839887301_SeismicActivity.png.9e67c6b06541f68825a613c16d01b374.png Seismic Intensity 1 Melee, +Accuracy, + To Hit Bonus, Foe -Recovery
Seismic_Magnitude1.png.cc4259bbe66d0b6fc5846970856c3c97.png.12fddbf3c154d594a1dd966dd5d4d375.png Magnitude 1 1 Melee, Foe Snare
Seismic_Magnitude2.png.e0c8dfe11b171201fbbc327abca7559e.png.e7e51b1c432c67500307c188ba2fa380.png Magnitude 2 1 Melee, Foe Hold
Seismic_Magnitude3.png.64d2e5b13274b5cf9f488ae307442b27.png.c0254e67472dc8a6e16590983d5294ef.png Magnitude 3 1 Melee, Foe Knockdown
Seismic_SeismicWaveEffect.png.23187526624078eba462d28c0ed95cbd.png.1fe78bf0f09990804069c02ea81fcc8a.png Seismic Waves 1 Ranged, High Damage (Smash/Energy), Foe +Special 

1839887301_SeismicActivity.png.9e67c6b06541f68825a613c16d01b374.png Seismic Intensity

Required for Magnitude, when exerted on foe from caster, a foes recovery rate worsens in the presence of a potential disaster. This affect allows the caster to increases their accuracy as they are able to detect the emission of seismic waves they casted upon their foe. This allows the user to deal more violent waves of seismic energy and more detrimental effects to be release with Magnitudes progression.

MAGNITUDE

Spoiler

Seismic_Magnitude1.png.cc4259bbe66d0b6fc5846970856c3c97.png.12fddbf3c154d594a1dd966dd5d4d375.png Magnitude 1

First level of magnitude foes struck under this level experience being slowed due to the barrage of seismic waves being propelled at them.

Magnitude increases with each strike after Seismic Activity. Wears off due to inactivity in 10 seconds. Last 15 seconds if player chooses not to use a finisher move.

Seismic_Magnitude2.png.e0c8dfe11b171201fbbc327abca7559e.png.e7e51b1c432c67500307c188ba2fa380.png Magnitude 2

Second level of Magnitude, the foe when struck by the caster now after suffering from the inability to escape the seismic energy in times begins to tremble in fear preventing from escape the casters seismic influence.

Magnitude increases with each strike after Seismic Activity. Wears off due to inactivity in 10 seconds. Last 15 seconds if player chooses not to use a finisher move.

Seismic_Magnitude3.png.64d2e5b13274b5cf9f488ae307442b27.png.c0254e67472dc8a6e16590983d5294ef.png Magnitude 3

Final level of Magnitude, the seismic waves emitting from the casters blows become so devastating the foe can no longer regain their footing a momentarily are in a state of perpetual knockdown.

image.png.69a7aca296985877d8488f34ddbcca1a.png Seismic Waves

Seismic Waves are a chained damage effect that is only emitted when the finisher is used. This jump affect is only available on which level Magnitude 3 and does High Damage.

1296697180_1SeismicStrike.png.d2d3eb0fba4687283b5fde479400ef1f.png  Seismic Strike

You perform a quick strike of potential energy harnessed underneath you, emitting upward onto your target. 

2145218213_2ForeshockFist.png.a08fc33a6e51db69349429f908f2009e.png  Foreshock Fist

You attack your foe with a mild trembling attack that is proceeded by more violent shaking to the foe dealing additional damage over time.

534404123_3DivergingBlow.png.2c0ae9145c75a1b0da8c09f78694a7a3.png  Diverging Blow

You split apart your foes with a charged rush of potential energy, extending your attack over a conical area, afflicting damage to multiple targets. This is a finisher when used the caption RICHTER RELEASE will appear of the target dealing additional damage.

285124967_4Epicenter.png.5feb67903fc5a59059c66a3238cf1974.png Epicenter

As you become the center all seismic activity, you generate a immense amount of pressure of potential energy stored from beneath you to enhance movement speed as well as your blows of all seismic attacks. Epicenter also increases accuracy as you move more fluently when your foes environment becomes immersed in your seismic waves.

1286826651_5Shuddershock.png.863698251c661468fc902b3b3d2f272d.png  Shuddershock

You charge such an enormous amount of potential energy that you begin creating cracks in the atmosphere as a result of the potential buildup.  You finally expel this strike onward to an opponent severely degrading their defense to all seismic attacks.

1312616540_6FalseFault.png.42a3e58645b26596134070a9dd56e455.png  False Fault

You taunt your opponent by casually creating a rift nearby an opponent implying it was intended for them. The foe despite now being agitated, was still within range of seismic activity and their defense towards your blows decrease. 

782986825_7TremblingQuake.png.c710b09561dc06f04f336d7a5ee09301.png Quaking Chasm

You pummel the earth beneath you extracting more potential energy to be releases as the ground becomes unstable. The output of energy is so devastating it collapses all targets within the quakes range. This is a finisher when used the caption RICHTER RELEASE will appear of the target dealing additional damage.

925377538_8Shatterfist.png.f047a7f3d742ffec6f792ab30cb2a908.png  Shatterfist

You concentrate all the potential energy within your environment into a single catastrophic strike. The seismic intensity is so chaotic it begins to shatter the atmosphere around your fist. Unleashing this calamity onto an opponent fatally wounds them, leading to various detrimental effects. This is a finisher when used the caption RICHTER RELEASE will appear of the target dealing additional damage.

103592751_9ConvergingPlate.png.9ce1becac2d82002a2d8278857977bf3.png  Converging Plates

Your mastery of seismic energy allows you to alter the very plate tectonics themselves. You compress both ends of the ground beneath you. The impact of the colliding plates causes both ends of the ground to morph into a range of disaster, devastating a foe.

Epilogue

Thank you all for viewing another one of my proposals. I hope this addresses any concerns you may have in terms of value and the need for this set. Nevertheless I hope you'll be intrigued by this set and consider it an idea worth adding. I like to introduce and expand, real life existing concepts while making these new powerset proposals, so each set feels different then the last. So I not only are you invested in this potential powerset proposal, but you also have a understanding as well of geological events. Having a Seismic Melee set would expand on more superpowered themes that have not been introduced in game. I wanted to make this set because there isn't a vibration or a sonic based melee set so I wanted to incorporate the two to create something unique but equally desirable.

Enjoy the Overpoweredness 😉

I'll also add a Tanker and Stalker power Table to ensure we this power is available for all melee AT unlike some powers.

FX and Animations coming shortly for visualization.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 7/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, Tyrannical said:

Jokes on you I'm Irish 😉

But I like the idea of a melee powerset similar to a 'Sonic Melee' concept that actually makes more sense that just screaming down people's ears

Oh my bad the Irish, along with the Scottish and the Welsh, this Celtic alliance was the original resistance against the English colonial punks.

Anyhow very glad you liked it, I absolutely wanted to incorporate a vibration based melee set in a way that seemed more sensible.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Haha 1

• OmnibusOmnh changed the title to It's time to unleash Seismic Melee, A new Outlook on Geological Based Attacks

I actually thought this thread was about Seismic Smash because I read the title too quickly. This mistake seems to reinforce the “uh, perhaps a tad close to stone melee” point I am therefore going to make.

• Haha 1

• OmnibusOmnh changed the title to It's Time to Unleash Seismic Melee, A new Outlook on Geological Based Attacks

sounds fun but a couple questions:

-i dont understand why this version of taunt would uniquely have an extra debuff (-defense).  and i dont think 'to be overpowered' is a good answer here.

-Can you clarify Trembling Quake and Converging plates -- both labeled 'targeted area of effect' so i was imagining rain of fire i guess, but the description sounds more like Burn (simple PBAoE).

2 hours ago, Sancerre said:

sounds fun but a couple questions:

-i dont understand why this version of taunt would uniquely have an extra debuff (-defense).  and i dont think 'to be overpowered' is a good answer here.

-Can you clarify Trembling Quake and Converging plates -- both labeled 'targeted area of effect' so i was imagining rain of fire i guess, but the description sounds more like Burn (simple PBAoE).

Sure I'll gladly explain. Simply put I wanted this taunt to be different, as well as seismic related. As I put in the description, False Fault creates a fault nearby the foe to startle them and lead them to you. It is a debuff since  despite the foe being agitated, being close to the fault still had them waver from the affects like all other seismic attacks. 

Secondly there are more targeted AOE attacks in game aside from fire based ones like the examples you stated. All a Targeted AOE is, is instead of working automatically, it requires a target. Such as Spinning Strike or Exploding Arrow. Burn is actually a Location based AOE much like Dimension Shift or Shadow Field. However it may be called differently depending on the labelling. Either way they have different functions.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh

39 minutes ago, OmnibusOmnh said:

Sure I'll gladly explain. Simply put I wanted this taunt to be different, as well as seismic related. As I put in the description, False Fault creates a fault nearby the foe to startle them and lead them to you. It is a debuff since  despite the foe being agitated, being close to the fault still had them waver from the affects like all other seismic attacks. 

Secondly there are more targeted AOE attacks in game aside from fire based ones like the examples you stated. All a Targeted AOE is, is instead of working automatically, it requires a target. Such as Spinning Strike or Exploding Arrow. Burn is actually a Location based AOE much like Dimension Shift or Shadow Field. However it may be called differently depending on the labelling. Either way they have different functions.

your reasoning of the unique taunt ultimately boils down to 'because i want it to be overpowered'.  i'm not entirely against the concept but if you set a precedent here... the more direct question is... why would this powerset be uniquely positioned to have that advantage over ALL of the melee powerset taunts.  and i am sure you are well aware that -defense allows you to slot Achilles heel -res proc.  far be it from being anywhere near 'guaranteed' it would still just be a nice 'why not' IO to dump into it that no other melee powerset has.

as for the targeted AoE abilities -- i think you are framing that it would function more like Thunderstrike (from electrical melee).  I personally never liked that style of button, so it surprises me you would want 2 of them.  balance wise... that is a whole lot of force feedback recharge.

In all, this certainly does sound overpowered... as you intended i suppose.  And i havent even touched on the overly bloated inherents.  a case of ask high and bargain down maybe?  again the concept sounds fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Concept is cool and obviously things would get balanced in testing because that's how video games work, but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

Has anything from the suggestion forums outside of small tweaks or balance ever made it into the game in the 2+ years? just curious

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Has anything from the suggestion forums outside of small tweaks or balance ever made it into the game in the 2+ years? just curious

Definitely a question for the general fandom. Lol 

Yeah I just create these sets and proposals for fun because I'd like to see this game explore new concepts and ideas. I'm glad you liked it and gave it a look.

Edited by OmnibusOmnh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OmnibusOmnh said:

Definitely a question for the general fandom. Lol 

Yeah I just create these sets and proposals for fun because I'd like to see this game explore new concepts and ideas. I'm glad you liked it and gave it a look.

You did a good job, this looks a lot like how the devs would have handled a stone-melee revamp. By making a flashy new version with unique gimmick and not touching stone melee.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2