Failed attempt at a gimp build

DrZeus

I like to make novelty characters.  Melee blasters, characters whose attacks are only kicks (due to their big robot feet looking awesome when they kick) that sort of thing.  Recently I made a character based on P2W... I figured I'd only ever damage people with P2W powers.

Obviously, I figured this would be kind of gimpy, but a fun concept.  A rich guy with no powers other than what he buys from others.  I had made a farmer just to see how to do it, but then discovered none of my characters needed the influence because I just don't play that way.  I chose a devices blaster - primary not important because I'll never use it, but I could use a targeting drone and a cloak.

I found two surprising things.  Firstly, he's not gimpy at all.  Only using the cheap powers he has four high damage, fast recharging powers to cycle through along with a couple of good AOE powers.  He can hit things well due to tactics and targetting drone, and in groups tends to be a boss killer.  I'm sure he's not uber compared to people who run at max capacity, but he's a real slugger.

Secondly... and the the thing I could use advice for... I'm not sure how to slot things.  Keep in mind, I can't slot ANY of my attacks.  But I can six slot targetting drone, field operative, tactics, assault, dodge, weave, intimidating presence, pacify, most of the medicine pool... but any suggestions on how to slot these without just simple SO's (or their invention counterparts after level 30)?  If you had no reason not to six slot these types of powers... what would you put in them?  Money and resources are unlimited because that's the whole point...

• Thumbs Up 1

LOL!

Kudos to you for a great concept! (Hope he has a nice bio, too!)

Not nearly as dedicated, but I have No Millionaire (because he blew it all on gadgets and training) on Torch that would love to team up with you!

My suggestion would be to max out Targeting Drone (and look into muting the Drone sound -- see Solarverse's threads) and Field Operative. LOtG is brilliant in the Drone (I 5-slot it and add a Performance Shifter END proc.)

In fact, I think maybe Procs will be your friends in powers you intend not to use.

And run as many Mayhem or Bank missions as you like, for all those sweet temp powers. Hit Striga for Peeples' ring, too.

That concept sounds like such a blast, I hope you have entirely too much fun with it, and don't be afraid to team. (A heads-up to the leader, if you aren't leading, might be nice, though.) But be sure to reveal it to the team afterwards! (A la "I am not left-handed either!")

Enjoy!

Edited by DoctorDitko
ocd

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

IIRC, the P2W powers still scale with the AT damage scale. This would mean that by picking a Blaster and using P2W attacks you really aren't "gimping" as much as you would with a different AT. A Blaster with %procs in attacks is gimping your build, but in an indirect way.

Personally...the combo of targeting drone with those temp powers...just brilliant. I wanted the devices secondary on another AT and sadly realized only blasters have that access. For a different kind of challenge, that accuracy/toHit boost would have been super valuable. 

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

In fact, I think maybe Procs will be your friends in powers you intend not to use.

And run as many Mayhem or Bank missions as you like, for all those sweet temp powers. Hit Striga for Peeples' ring, too.

Yes... I'm only using temp powers for travel.  At first I bought a 5k jetpack to do some radio missions, and then used the jetpack from the radio... but ultimately just spent a million on a rocket sled because it looks so much like a stupid rich guy's toy.

So... you intrigue me with the idea of procs on powers I don't use... why would I do that, if not using the powers?  I did old school on live... never really got into a lot of inventions... any procs you'd recommend?  I can throw luck of the gambler into targetting drone... not sure what to put on field operative, since it is such a versitle power (doesn't cost endurance, gives cloaking, defense, and massive end recharge)...

Without needing any travel powers I so far have taken fighting for tough and weave, Medicine for... most of that... (debuffs, self buffs)... presence for soft holds (an underrated pool), and leadership for more damage and tohit.

From the above responses... sounds like blaster was totally the way to go.  I just wanted to get a targeting drone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm definitely no proc expert, but IIRC there are some that go off whether you use the power or not.

And not all technically procs, but there are things like these that give a benefit all on their own.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If you have Tactics, that's a good place for Gaussian's Synchronized Fire Control; one of the pieces randomly fires off Build-Up effects while the toggle is running (MOAR DAMAGE), in addition to the set as a whole just having good bonuses all round.

Understanding of procs though I could be wrong on a fine point or two:

1.  Proc in auto power fires based on an internal timer.  Most obvious examples of this are Panacea in health or Performance Shifter +End in Stamina.

2.  Proc in toggle power fires off based on an internal timer along with how often the power itself ticks (if damage).

3.  There are some "always on" procs such as the Unbreakable Guard +Max HP.  I'm not sure if there are any always on procs that slot into damage powers.

4.  Procs in a click power have a % chance to trigger when you trigger the power and only when you trigger the power.

And I agree with others interesting concept for a character.  Please keep us posted on your progress with it.

I appreciate the word on Procs... I tend to do a lot of story arcs, so merits come easy.  I had wondered about how they worked because they all seem to say "this proc fires off X times per minute"... which makes sense when I put (thanks to advice above) Gaussian's in my targetting drone... that's always on, so it seems to be constantly triggering the proc I'm guessing (about once a minute it says)... but for powers that trigger from an attack, I would assume you'd actually have to USE the attack for it to work.  I've got a bunch of attacks... first level blaster power... brawl... boxing... all with one slot and never used. 

I'm going to use some psychology terms here (dig out your old textbooks)... but I'm assuming they're run on a variable interval reinforcement schedule... or it is a fixed interval reinforcement schedule?  (at least for toggles)

And for click powers... would it also be variable interval... or would it then be variable ratio?

23 hours ago, iBot said:

Please keep us posted on your progress with it.

So... I've put in the luck of the gamblers (4 of them at this point, I think that's my max).  Fear and even intimidate are great holds for when things get dicey.  Through story arcs I've gotten sands of mu and the tesla staff... which aren't as redundant as I had thought... they do significantly more damage than their P2W counterparts.  They're still temp powers so I figure they're safe in the concept.   Maybe 1/3 more damage and they recharge about twice as fast.  With my fast recharge times I can do sands... hit them with a high damage sledgehammer... and have sands almost back up.  The only drawback I've seen is the long animation times on everything.  You have to take your tesla staff out.  (This is minimized by having two of them, your second shot is much faster)  You have to take your grenade... your pistol... your baseball bat... your sledgehammer out.  Only fast attack is the energy blast cone.

A neat thing... and a drawback, is the playstyle never changes.  You start at level 1 with all your powers.  The only thing you'll add is reliability of hit (once you get targetting drone) and then Procs when you can slot/afford them for your pool powers... which are mostly defensive since attacks are only P2W.

I can group.  I'm fine with it actually, I can hit reds and even purples very reliably (reds are normally 95%, and with extra teammate's tactics purples are now doable too) and the high damage strikes really knock them on their asses.  Bosses are very reliably knocked down (or back) with either a baseball bat or a sledgehammer.  Keeping a hard hitting boss prone is a solid defense.  But there are two drawbacks with grouping.  1) I level WAY too fast.  When this happens I feel like someone's just artificially aged me.  Years have been taken off me.  Playtime I could have enjoyed is now gone.  I could have played for 4 hours... instead I grouped for 1/2 hour.  2) the animation time length is more of a drawback in a group than when solo.  People use nukes and AOE all the time now.  Mobs die so much faster than they did back on live.  So in a group I can't attack minions... they're dead before I get my hammer out.  I can target a boss - get a couple of whacks on him before the entire group is dead.  But at that point... I barely feel like I'm contributing to the group.  Sure, I can stand toe to toe with any boss there and mitigate him while killing him.  But play is just so fast in groups.

Don't get me wrong... this guy is fast to solo.  Walk up to an orange and two shot him.  Sands of Mu and Nemesis staff and he's down.  If I take the time to debuff (with injection) or self buff (aid self) or control (fear) then Sands is back way before that action is done.  He plays like a scrapper.  But these days... I assume scrappers don't group much either due to not being able to contribute very much.

9 minutes ago, DrZeus said:

But these days... I assume scrappers don't group much either due to not being able to contribute very much.

You assume incorrectly.  Scrappers are quite common on teams.

Two things:

What level are you currently?

Did you know you can shut off XP to not out level content when grouping?

The first I'm curious about because I'm wondering how the free powers etc will continue to hold up against higher level mobs.  Once some of the resistances kick in those same attacks may not be as effective.  Rarely do I see someone use those on higher levels so wondering how well they scale.

The second I understand your frustration with leveling too fast in a group but there isn't a good solution for that other than shutting off XP.  As for usefulness I say make your own fun.  If the group is wiping out the current spawn move on to the next.  Granted that means you've got to be able to handle the alpha alone.  And sometimes someone may make a comment about you splitting off but those are different topics.

As for scrappers, all I can say is I have several that will take offense to being called "useless" in a group 😜

5 hours ago, iBot said:

Two things:

What level are you currently?

38... I think.  Somewhere around there.    So far the free powers seem to be holding up just fine.  They age well with levels due to the blaster benefit also effecting temporary powers.  So all the damage scales up.  Normally the hammer and bat for instance recharge fast and have "high" damage.  That's not common for any level.  And once you start getting other temp powers, like the REAL sands of mu or the REAL nemesis staff... well, they recharge fast as well (even though the P2W versions have moderate recharge times) and do... very high damage.

When those powers run out, I'm going to redo the story arcs to try to get them again.  They're totally worth the time investment as fantastic powers.  Again, the only drawback is that you can't enhance them directly... but when your entire build is built upon enhancing them indirectly...  (blaster bonus... tactics, assault and targetting drone)...  I'm really curious what other temp powers are out there to collect as well.  I mean... you COULD do this entire concept without any P2W powers at all.  You'd need to have someone walk you through one of those missions where you get a 24 hour temp power, then do the other one, and honestly... then run off on your own and spend a career collecting these things.  That would be a budget version of this build... you'd just need help from a friend/alt account to start out.

And yes... I do know you can turn off Xp... but then you stop progressing.  I like to constantly feel forward progress, and this is very individual of coruse, but there's a good medium of how fast you want to level.  Some games have you level so slowly it is daunting and you don't feel rewarded for your efforts.  I find grouping in this game the opposite... you level so fast I don't feel I've earned it.  There's a happy medium in there.  I rarely turn on double Xp for instance... I happen to for this character, simply because it's P2W and that seems appropriate... and it's fun to just buy your way to victory.  But the groups make me feel like I'm in a farm and I'm a door sitter.  There is... no way at all I'm doing 1/8th of the work.

I'll sometimes make a character JUST for groups.  Someone who can really contribute to a group.  not just in damage but maybe a tank or controller who can control well... although with the speed that game has changed as well.  I have fond memories of a telekinesis based controller... it's a tricky power to use - but if you do it right you can get a huge group of mobs all trapped in a corner and held while your group whittles them away in complete safety.  Back in the day that character was a life saver... now?  The mobs would all be dead before I could even collect two in the web.

Maybe a different version of this character would be good in groups.  Maybe at high levels I'll collect more AOE powers and group that way if those powers exist.  I've been surprised at how defensive the character is.

6 hours ago, iBot said:

Once some of the resistances kick in those same attacks may not be as effective

So ... doublechecked.  level 36,

1016 hp... (3 slotted health)

regen rate of 18hp/sec and 4.16 end/sec

2.29 end consumption/sec 

to hit bonus of 116%,

damage bonus of 90%, (and first hit hits like a truck due to  targeting drone 80% bonus)

30% recharge time,

14% smashing and lethal damage resist... (can boost resists by about 20% with a temp power)

11% defense against everything (can boost resists by about 20% with a temp power)

resistance against immobilize, stun, sleep, confuse, fear and confuse.

They buffed the hell out of "cloaking device" when they turned it into 'field operative"

Edited by DrZeus

So I wasn't entirely clear on the rules of the challenge so if I violated the spirit of them my apologies. I also wasn't sure how gonzo you wanted to go with the slots. 

Here's a possibility that with Smoke Grenade in play (or Destiny: Barrier!) caps you to Ranged Defense and nearly to Melee. I can actually do better by dropping the Teleportation pool for Maneuvers, but I figured if I was building something this ridiculous, why not go the full journey and incorporate Fold Space and Time Bomb, so you can port things in and blow them up.

This build also features:

• Protection from Immobilize (Combat Jumping)
  • Minor protection from Holds (Acrobatics)
  • Mezz-breaking (Rune of Protection)
  • Knockdown at close range (Repulsion Field)
  • Three sources of emergency Resistance for various kinds of emergencies (PFF, RoP and Force of Nature)
  • Protection from KB up to Mag 11
  • 50% Resistance to Run Speed and -Recharge debuffs

My main criticism is I may have underslotted for Endurance, but IMO only slightly.

I assumed it was okay to slot powers you're not actually going to use, like your first couple of mandatory attacks. This is a lot harder to pull off without slotting those.

image.thumb.png.8c18ff5ef044bddd8a1fa635fdd7d5a8.png

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Archery
Secondary Power Set: Devices
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Sorcery
Ancillary Pool: Force Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Snap Shot -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(34)
Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 2: Aimed Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 4: Combat Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13)
Level 6: Teleport Target -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 8: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(33), GssSynFr--ToHit(33)
Level 10: Targeting Drone -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(11), RctRtc-ToHit(11)
Level 12: Boxing -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(31)
Level 14: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), UnbGrd-ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17)
Level 16: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(19), RedFrt-EndRdx(21), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(21), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 18: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Field Operative -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(25), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(40), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(40), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(43), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(25), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 24: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(37)
Level 26: Acrobatics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 28: Spirit Ward -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 30: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(34)
Level 32: Rune of Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(39), UnbGrd-ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 35: Repulsion Field -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), ExpStr-Dam%(46), ExpStr-Acc/KB(46), ExpStr-Dmg/KB(50)
Level 38: Smoke Grenade -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 44: Force of Nature -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 47: Time Bomb -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Personal Force Field -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1331;627;1254;HEX;|
		|78DA6593C94F5A6114C5BFC77BD42AE0441514A8028222FA2AFD079A4EBAA8262AB|
		|65B42F005498C10A4A9AC9A0EE9BAD60E4965B04DC7B475D9FE31EDAEEB0E49E745|
		|432F9CA33591047EF9CE77CFBDF7DDCB9BDB38E7DC9DB9764A69AEB3ABE9F5F5D41|
		|9F92D5945FB5C3A9BCBA8E6A74DBEFD94538BE9B5ACB56C9E2E6656AC62D9B32727|
		|2F170AF962C99C492F67ADD2BAEA9DCFE757CD256BD56ACAE9522EBFE66A49D3B9E|
		|C4A29B79675B64EB356BAB07F48E68B19C9D97BBE90CB98D3CD436AAE95BDEC950E|
		|86E4EB577B9F865DD575A51286326AE0912A590183DBE443F0EA416F55B534E723B|
		|0FB31D85B03C7EBE0E40E181068F46AF486191B666C98B123CC39C29C51199F0EAF|
		|A6BFB7A1EE0730227776DC29BB0F7D0E3727AEA156DB4BC41D7D413E07879F914FC|
		|927E07571B5C36B6BAF8AE636544785DC0635A9E9E0B338EE192D9FFF2EB9051EBF|
		|436E92B7415DBC2EE4D75D7FD06FE76FF23BD8FD837B91D82E3E47578786F97682C|
		|7BA4807D8EF245DA0DEAF540FE7D213C71C6F0ADCCCE7BE8438EF457074815C04C7|
		|93E412F34A2F7DECBBAF8FDEBF720C186AF002FA1DFC067A24D6C37D79B8A711EEC|
		|D2B7703C8A30682E86B33A2948F9A2F881C5BA2059823C01C41E6B81FC17F59EE8C|
		|A193888F728651CE30CA198EFE045F0B42F0E8A18FD8C56419FB9CDC001357C01B1|
		|21561EDC85BD44CBC03DF489E31CE618C3563AC1963CD186BEE0AE2AC1967EC04EF|
		|26E899F805DE922893CF6456D0DF892A5923EB6062077C25D629EE788A3BF11BFBE|
		|FA8AEE6052143D916C845D048824163EFA56C3466FFFB9AC74643CD1BFB6FACD25A|
		|CAA70E51B483CA9743CAE743CAD783CA034CF11F195ED075|
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Edited by oedipus_tex

I'm doing a similar one as of tonight. I altered making it so you can use any powers from devices (taser is awesome) but take no powers from the primary. Hit level 19 in just random teams. It's really fun actually. Kinda has a Casey Jones meets Predator vibe to it.

Most attacks (to my understanding, these are the Powers you don't intend to use) don't really fall into the category of having useful "global" benefits.

* If your primary has a heal (dark, water), you can slot your Preventative Medicine there and it will activate even without using it.

** This is not true of all the rest of the "special" Healing or Endurance Modification enhancement, i believe. If you read the descriptions, most say they give a buff for 120 seconds or so. Those ones rely on you to keep using the power to refresh.

** If you grabbed Aid Other, that's another good home for Preventative Medicine.

* Most of the "always on" character benefits, like the Steadfast Protection +defense unique, will end up in your armor toggles you're leaving run anyway.

* Unlike what's mentioned in that linked Guide, Power Transfer has been updated -- if you slot two of them (Health and Field Operative), they can now fire at the same time.

* Some other ATs have global ATO enhancements which fit the bill, like Scrapper +3% crit chance and Soldiers of Arachnos global +toxic damage. Blaster doesn't get anything like that, but that is not a compelling reason to remake as one of those (though SoA has really good damage multipliers and leadership), since I cannot imagine either ATO effect applies to Temporary Powers.

*You mentioned crowd control with Presence pool, so I gather this is more "Temp and Pool powers.". The chance of disorient on the aoe fear is surprisingly decent at breaking enemy alpha strikes, if you feel like the fear isn't good enough.  Though I prefer the psi damage procs.

... Hi. I typed this up about 4 days ago and just discovered I didn't close it out without saving.

4 hours ago, Verfall said:

I'm doing a similar one as of tonight. I altered making it so you can use any powers from devices (taser is awesome) but take no powers from the primary. Hit level 19 in just random teams. It's really fun actually. Kinda has a Casey Jones meets Predator vibe to it.

It DOES have a casey jones vibe to it.  I played for a few levels with a classic silver age style look... and after a while switched to always using a golf bag on my back.  Both the hammer and the bat are taken out of the golf bag which looks awesome... (I wish the nemesis staves were done that way).  Once you get targetting drone the build makes a huge jump upward... and Field operative will give you another huge jump forward.

10 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

So I wasn't entirely clear on the rules of the challenge so if I violated the spirit of them my apologies. I also wasn't sure how gonzo you wanted to go with the slots.

Well... there are no rules.  Just an idea.  What I'm doing is "only damaging powers are temporary"  I don't even use brawl or boxing for damage... although I do use fear and intimidate from the presence pool for control due to the fact that they do no damage.  I suppose smoke grenade would have fit the concept but it seemed too... aggressive for an actual blaster power for my tastes. (although I do use injection from medicine pool)

And I never bothered take travel powers... why bother when you can buy them.

Honestly, in my mid-30's I have five blaster powers...  I have the first assault rifle power... and web grenade and caltrops... never used, immediately removed from tray and one slotted... and then field operative and targeting drone.

But hey... if you want to change it up... I'd love to hear how it goes.  I've been wholly surprised by this and I'm really wondering about making a group version of it.  Or one using only temp powers you can't buy (there are 12 hero side temp powers you can earn that have at least 50 charges... and four attack powers to cycle through that last days of playtime).  Just because I'm not using land mines or smoke grenade... maybe that's how to turn this into a group thing.  (although again with the long animation times).

I'm curious though... I see that in your proposed build you've six slotted a few unused attack powers - but I don't recognize what the enhancements are or why you used them.  What is the advantage of doing so?  You've sacrificed putting a couple of slots into stamina in order to so - I assume there is great benefit that I just dont' know about.

If you need help creating a Gimpy build just ask.  Many of my oddball creations are called Gimpy when I post.  Recently I had a Blaster excoriated for being constructed in such a way as to do less damage than it's Sentinel cousin with same primary.  I can help you.

• Haha 1

Looks like the Blaster ATO, Winter O's, Kinetic Combat, and Thunderstrike.  From memory: Winter O's boost end recovery, defense, and FC resistance; the ATO boosts recharge, hp, defense, resistance; KC boosts SL defense, Thunderstrike mostly boosts ranged defense.

2 hours ago, DrZeus said:

I'm curious though... I see that in your proposed build you've six slotted a few unused attack powers - but I don't recognize what the enhancements are or why you used them.  What is the advantage of doing so?  You've sacrificed putting a couple of slots into stamina in order to so - I assume there is great benefit that I just dont' know about.

Set bonuses apply to your character even if you do not actually click the power. It's occasionally useful to slot a power like Boxing or Brawl with an IO set that has bonuses even if you never plan to use the attack. In this case, we slotted the Winter's Gift set (for +5 Slash/Lethal defense) and the Kinetic Combat set (for an additional +3 Slash/Lethal defense). Winter's Gift also provides some -Recharge and -Run Speed resistance.

The reason I didn't slot Stamina etc is that as a Blaster you already have double Stamina, from the combo of Field Operative and inherent Stamina. You might find yourself needing a bit more endurance support, but its unlikely IMO you'll need to slot heavily unless temp powers are a lot more costly than I imagine.

RE: Travel powers, these are necessary sometimes to unlock stuff further down the chain. Given the focus of your build. I'd chase Pools that provide you with Immunities. From Pools you can get Immobilize protection (Combat Jumping), a small amount of Hold protection (Acrobatics), rotating mezz protect to all (Rune of Protection). You could also get some more immunities by going with the Leadership pool, but as I mentioned I thought Teleportation was funnier because you can combo it with Time Bomb. Truly power gaming it though I would drop the Teleport pool for Manuevers/Tactics/Vengeance. Skip Assault because I don't think global damage bonus increases temp power damage at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a Dark Melee/Dark Armor Brute named Shadow-Boxer who was once a champion boxer who won a belt that (unbeknownst to him) was enchanted to stoke the rage inside his heart. (A reference to how Brutes actually play.) Anyway, I only took from Dark Melee Shadow Punch, Smite, Shadow Maul and Taunt (since those abilities resemble punches. Definitely a gimpy build, but he's still level 33 now.

2 hours ago, CursedSorcerer said:

I have a Dark Melee/Dark Armor Brute named Shadow-Boxer who was once a champion boxer who won a belt that (unbeknownst to him) was enchanted to stoke the rage inside his heart. (A reference to how Brutes actually play.) Anyway, I only took from Dark Melee Shadow Punch, Smite, Shadow Maul and Taunt (since those abilities resemble punches. Definitely a gimpy build, but he's still level 33 now.

This sounds very similar to my mainish character on live.  I just wanted a puncher.  Martial arts didn't work... because there you mostly kick.  Super strength doesn't work because there's no punching involved... just odd animations from someone really strong and really uncoordinated.  He was a hell of a scrapper actually... flurry from superspeed helped round out his punching, and with that and shadow maul (they didn't have sands of mu at the time) he had a pretty well done rotation.  Add sands of mu and there's a lot of AOE for a scrapper.

These days I might also do energy... minimize the glowie hands, as the animations are pretty punchy. (now that we can alter the look and color of the powers)

Another power set to have a look at is Kinetic melee.  Lots of punches there with a fair bit of choreography going on.  Some of the attacks can be a bit annoying with a wind up and I know some have complained about the sound effects but I enjoyed the brute that I played with it.