new troll here - a checklist

presto2112

I’m sure many will outdo my alt-itis problem, but I keep rolling alts, so I’ve developed “rules” for myself when rolling that new alt.

Wondering who else is doing this, or does each character have it’s own layout?

- priority! remove General and Help from General tab

- make standalone tab for LFG channel

- remap q, e to strafe

- remap a, d to turn

- Reveal goes in button 7 - this is a sacred spot for reveal power!

- buy my standard powers/revokes from P2W vendor with cash i mailed from alt

- expand button bars to 3 rows

— attacks go on the bottom (not strict)

— heals/buffs/etc go on middle row (not strict)

— toggles go to top (not strict)

There’s probably a way to set the default keybinds so i don’t have to remap things for a new alt. need to google that for myself sometime

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You can save all your keybinds through menu options.  

I dont put reveal on a  hotkey. It is used on e ar the beginning of each mission and is therefore not worth the investment.  I bop onto a map and mouse over it

i do buy a ton of stuff at P2W for each new alt.  It varies slightly but it is mostly just a full shopping cart

i do customize my chat tab.  I use chatter which has Everything that real people talk on. Everything.  Then i have a dedicated SG tab. Most useful is a NPC tab.  This is just for NPC dialog. Extremely useful when doing content and looking for a specific NPC. When they talk (80% time they do) you know you are close.  Rewards tab.  Then you know what you got. Important for badges and merits etc. Auction House.  Keeps that useful info separate   For late game badging Zone Events are very useful to separate out as well

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

After you have your keybinds, chat and windows set up the way you like it, you can go to options and press the buttons that save to default:

Keymapping > Save to default file

Windows > Chat settings file > Save to default file

Windows > Windows settings file > Save to default file

The game loads from these files whenever you make a new character (no action needed on your part). I started using this once I had a setup I was comfortable with, now I won't have to redo it for every alt.

I use a setup that binds keys to specific tray slots (press 1 to activate the power in slot 1, etc.), rather than specific powers. This is the way that all modern MMO's handle keybinds, and it's what this game does for your default tray. This way, I can easily try out new hotkey layouts on the fly without messing with a binds file. The command is:

/bind <keyname> pow_exec_tray <slot#> <tray#>

So, e.g.

/bind F pow_exec_tray 6 3

Will execute whatever power is in slot 6 of tray 3 when you press F.

This way, when I make a new character, all my chat and windows are already loaded in the positions I want. I can just drag powers into the tray and press the relevant hotkey to use them.

Edited by Miss Magical
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, presto2112 said:

There’s probably a way to set the default keybinds so i don’t have to remap things for a new alt. need to google that for myself sometime

See the Tech Guide for all you need, whether you do a full remap or just have a few preferences. Basically, from an alt you have set up the way you like, type /bindsave. Then for each new alt or one you want to make consistent, type /bindload. You can (and really should) make this alt-specific as well.

You might also want to use (from that 'perfect' alt setup):

/wdwsave

/optionsave

/chatsave

And then on each other alt, use:

/wdwload

/optionload

/chatload

...and you will do almost everything you prefer, and more, in a few steps.

About the only thing that can't be saved/loaded is tray arrangements, which is a real bummer, especially after a respec complicated build.

But all of this is in the Guide. Along with other useful knowledge.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

I have  a separate tab for NPC chat.  When soloing missions I have that tab on so I just see the mission stuff and not other chat.

This. I use a tear-off window with all "game" content - NPC, team, etc. Makes it much easier to separate what's in front of you with what's around you, so to speak.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

- remap q, e to strafe

- remap a, d to turn

I basically do this in reverse.  CoH was the first MMO I played and I played for almost 7 years before going to another MMO.  Now, I remap keys and invert the mouse in every other MMO I play.

- expand button bars to 3 rows

— attacks go on the bottom (not strict)

— heals/buffs/etc go on middle row (not strict)

— toggles go to top (not strict)

Not enough bars.  I also open up AT LEAST a fourth and fifth bar for toggles, incarnate powers and temporary powers.

To be fair, I run a lot of toggles.  The majority of my characters take the Leadership pool - even tanks and scrapper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Put the new and improved power begging channel(lfg) in its own tab and then delete the tab. 

Come to general and beg for a power beggers channel for the people that just spam lfg making it near unusable or for more ignore space so i can catch them all.

Cry softly because city of beggars is all this games become.

Oh you mean the....oh sorry yeah what someone else said. Adjust chats, make 2 new trays etc

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Being able to apply filters to a channel for yourself would be nice -- for example, tell your client to ignore any messages in the LFG channel with 'farm' or 'DFB' -- but these should be strictly client-side, or we'll just get the same situation as back on Live before the devs stomped on the the various broken AE opponents, and tried to ban specific terms in chat, so we saw euphemisms like the "meow missions" pop up. Telling your client to hide messages is one thing; trying to get them eradicated everywhere is a lost cause.

22 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Being able to apply filters to a channel for yourself would be nice -- for example, tell your client to ignore any messages in the LFG channel with 'farm' or 'DFB' -- but these should be strictly client-side, or we'll just get the same situation as back on Live before the devs stomped on the the various broken AE opponents, and tried to ban specific terms in chat, so we saw euphemisms like the "meow missions" pop up. Telling your client to hide messages is one thing; trying to get them eradicated everywhere is a lost cause.

W-what's the meow mission? 

3 hours ago, A Cat said:

W-what's the meow mission? 

Early on after the release of AE, it was possible to create missions with boss or higher mobs that didn't actually have any attacks -- you've probably seen the bug report post about Cimeroran Immunes Surgeons not giving XP; this was a change implemented because they have no attacks, so you could create an AE mission crammed full of Immunes Surgeons and blow through them with no more risk than having to work to overcome spawns full of healers (and if you had high enough DPS, particularly AoE DPS, this wasn't a problem).

People started to advertise in chat for people to pad out teams to get the maximum-sized spawns for these missions, and the devs imposed keyword filters on chat to make any messages soliciting for these missions simply not appear, so the players started using euphemisms to get around the keyword filters. 'Meow mission' was one of those euphemisms.

4 minutes ago, presto2112 said:

What's the issue with DFB? I think I joined on once and it didn't really blow my hair back. Seems very popular tho

I'm just personally tired of the rampant star-ducking for it, where I'll see a dozen or more "LF DFB" or variations  on it from different people, with no one stepping up and actually starting one, or the person who'll spam "LF DFB" every thirty seconds to a minute for fifteen minutes, when they'd likely have a full team quickly if they announced 'Forming DFB, send tell'.

15 hours ago, presto2112 said:

What's the issue with DFB? I think I joined on once and it didn't really blow my hair back. Seems very popular tho

It's popular because it's fast XP in the low levels but also because you get your pick of one of four buffs that remain with you until level 22.  So run it four times and get all four.  Then when you're 15, run DiB and get another four that last until 30.

It's not going to compete with a farm for speed, but then again neither would you care about the buffs if you were door-sitting a farm.  It's for people who want to play their characters in the low levels.  In that case, the buffs are nice.  Especially the accuracy and recovery ones.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:36 PM, presto2112 said:

I’m sure many will outdo my alt-itis problem, but I keep rolling alts, so I’ve developed “rules” for myself when rolling that new alt.

Wondering who else is doing this, or does each character have it’s own layout?

- priority! remove General and Help from General tab

I'm so glad you removed those. I'd hate to see you trolling us with Monty Pythonesque-styled humor, wait, that's humour, or misquoting movie lines (that's my schtick), or telling us again that a goose bit your sister. 

Edited by gamingglen
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I use a tear-off window with all "game" content - NPC, team, etc. Makes it much easier to separate what's in front of you with what's around you, so to speak.

Also extremely handy for NPCs that insist on dialoging under my minimap!

Jerks!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, gamingglen said:

I'm so glad you removed those. I'd hate to see you trolling us with Monty Pythonesque-styled humor, wait, that's humour, or misquoting movie lines (that's my schtick), or telling us again that a goose bit your sister. 

nobody expects the inquisition

On 9/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, srmalloy said:

so we saw euphemisms like the "meow missions" pop up.

Oh pancakes.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝