trade Combat Jumping for Teleport Target?

cohRock

I am very used to my guys having either Hover or Combat Jumping.  But now I'm faced with no room for Teleport Target due to four other pools already active -- Leaping, Speed, Leadership, and Fighting.  This is on level 25 elec/elec dominator.  He was not even planning on Super Speed originally, but once he had Hasten and Combat Jumping, why not take Super Speed and slot in a Celerity:Stealth.  So he did.

Now he can stealth effectively, but he has no way of helping teammates get to where he stealthed.  Thus taking Teleport Target is very appealing, but he has to give up something.  What I am considering is giving up Combat Jumping (and eventually Super Jump) for Teleport Target and Combat Teleport.

Downsides:

• not used to playing with neither CJ nor Hover in missions
  • lose minor defense from CJ
  • lose immobilize protection

Upsides:

• gain ability to quickly teleport even while immobalzed
  • gain one-shot worth of bonus ToHit after teleport
  • can Teleport Target for either teammates or foes

What do you guys think?  I'm probably going to try respeccing into Teleport Pool, but would like to hear feedback.  BTW, external to missions, the travel combo of Super Speed, Athletic Run, and Sprint is very effective.  Combat Jumping adds nothing to that except minor defense, which would very seldom matter because of the effective invisibility.  He's got the p2w Jump Pack for when very great height is necessary.  IMO, sacrificing Super Jump for that combo  would not be a loss.

-- Rock

First immediate thought is if it's mostly about getting teammates to mission end is the temp power Assemble the Team and live without the pool or grab Sorcery instead CJ or Hover.  Mystic Flight provides both Fly and Teleport and use Assemble for those stealth to end needs.

Edit: Other random thoughts/ideas:

If you're swapping to other pools maybe Concealment and instead of using Teleport and just use GI etc to get everyone there.

Edited by Doomguide2005

When you play solo, Teleport Target + stealth + any snipe should be a great way to isolate and dispatch single targets quietly and efficiently.  My Dark/Dark corruptor uses the combo all the time.  Just make sure you place the target as far from you as possible, and, if you can manage it, facing away from you.  That way, they're less likely to spot you and blow your snipe advantage.

Unless you have CJ or Hover slotted to the nines, you probably won't miss the +def from either one.  Even less so if you're on a halfway decent team.  If it's vertical mobility you're worried about, slot Hurdle, or get one of those temp powers from a bank mission.

I'd never want to be without CJ on my melee toons just for the combat mobility... but a Dom?  You might have some melee attacks in your secondary, but your bread and butter is mostly ranged.  Practice with CT and a decent click-bind and you should be good getting around a battle.  Don't bother with the jump pack though.  Crap vertical speed and maneuverability compared to a jet pack plus a recharge time between uses.  Just bind a temp jet pack to a key and use it to "jump" over any obstacle that's too much for SS/Hurdle.  5K/30min flight time on the cheapest jet pack may as well be permanent because keeping it topped up is pocket change.

Oh, CJ is also a place to put a LotG:+Rech IO.  You didn't list that as a disadvantage so does that mean you have five other powers to slot this IO in or just that you already have perma-dom without needing the limit of LotGs?

My personal opinion:

As a Dominator your Leadership numbers aren't that good.  I don't know how many powers you have in Leadership but if it's only Maneuvers drop it and keep CJ. 

Like you, I love the extra maneuverability from CJ, it doesn't take much End, and you can slot some nice procs in it (LotG, Shield Wall, Kismet, etc).

The only real downside to dumping Leadership is if you regularly team with other folks who took it.  But solo or on a PUG?  Your defense is control.  Play to your strengths.

Ct/tt/fold space are amazing. Would I trade cj for tt? Proooobably not but maybe? I would probably find something else to trade for tt. This build might look strange to some, but it is highly efficient and uses teleport target _extensively_ as part of its main function. Admittedly it is using tt to move singy around, but the fact that tt is a step to foldspace, and (hopefully) everyone knows how awesome combat teleport is, creative use can be made for the whole of the tp pool excluding teleport it self which is garbage.

Combat teleport is STUPID useful. Way more than cj I think, when you start loading up binds... but you dont snag that lotg.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

domdydooooom: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Thorny Assault
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), Dvs-Acc/Dmg(7), EntChs-Heal%(7), Dvs-Hold%(17), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 1: Thorny Darts -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(3), SprEnt-End/Rchg(3), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(5), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(5)
Level 4: Fling Thorns -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), Ann-ResDeb%(25), Ann-Acc/Dmg(25), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 6: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(29), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 8: Crushing Field -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprDmnGrs-EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(9), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 10: Impale -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(13)
Level 12: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A)
Level 14: Enflame -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-ResDeb%(17), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34)
Level 16: Recall Friend -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(39), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(39), UnbCns-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(40)
Level 20: Skewer -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Teleport Foe -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Long Range Teleport -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Wormhole -- FrcFdb-Rchg/EndRdx(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(45)
Level 28: Thorntrops -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(29), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(33), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(33), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SvrRgh-PetResDam(43)
Level 35: Ripper -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(36), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Arm-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Thorn Barrage -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(42), RedFrt-Def(42)
Level 44: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
------------

5 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I tried that once.  I made it through one mission and respeced back into CJ.  I'm not me without my boingboing.  I like Combat Teleport, but I like bouncing more.

🐰

It takes time to get used to. It certainly isnt an instant-appreciation. Being able to teleport to and through walls and, well, everything is a major advantage. You dont get stuck on scenery when teleporting around. On any char I have with ct, I have f bound to ct target, which is great since it gets me to mobs or people in danger instantly, and lets me load up on procs and tohit to drop a big nuke/aoe/whatever as needed to try and shift the state of the fight.

I admit, it took me a while to get used to ct, but now I just cant leave it behind! And tt across like, all of echo DA? Yes please to my poor teammates looking to get to adamastor.

5 hours ago, cohRock said:

What do you guys think?  

I think it's kind of you to consider being able to port your teammates around - but - that's what Assemble the Team is for. And it doesn't cost a power pool. 

The changes to the teleport and the pool itself has encouraged a lot of folks to respec in favor of it. It certainly has some utility. Worst case - you get it and find you miss SS. Or whatever it is you drop for it. Then you can respec back. Or make two builds. 

• Like 1

I personally don't count the CT to-hit bonus when considering it. It may just be my 3d6 of Unluck firing, but at least the Warshade clone of CT seems to make it LESS likely I'll hit.*

* Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data. It's Someone trying to tell me Something.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

13 hours ago, Ukase said:

I think it's kind of you to consider being able to port your teammates around - but - that's what Assemble the Team is for. And it doesn't cost a power pool. 

With a 30min cooldown?  Not exactly.  Most pick up TFs I join seem to have a couple people capable of stealthing a mission and then summoning the team and often that's enough.  But on my Stalkers with Teleport Target there's no worry.  If I've used ATT already, I just port in someone who hasn't and they use it.  Guy whose travel power is Ninja Run?  Port to the door.  Someone face-planted next to an AV dishing out constant AoE?  Yoink!

It's not essential.  But it's handy.  It's for people who want some team utility and are willing to sacrifice some other more optimal build choice to get it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luminara said:

I tried that once.  I made it through one mission and respeced back into CJ.  I'm not me without my boingboing.  I like Combat Teleport, but I like bouncing more.

The one time I tried it, I could see how handy it might be... but yeah.  Wouldn't have given up CJ for it.  I actually gave up Teleport Target and Super Jump that respec just to try it (and Fold Space)... but I kept CJ.  Big problem I had with it was I was on a Staff Stalker and CT causes redraw.  Boooo!

2 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

Isn't there an option in the costume editor to eliminate redraw?

Not for Staff Fighting.  And not that it's a real performance issue.  If you draw the staff and execute an attack, the attack animation just gets interrupted by the next attack.  Overall DPS isn't affected.  It's just a minor annoying aesthetic issue I found putting Staff and Combat Teleport together.  It would be nicer on almost any other melee attack set.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for responding.  He went ahead with the respec and is now level 37.  He has Teleport Target (TT) and Combat Teleport instead of Combat Jumping and Super Jump.  At 47 he plans on taking Fold Space.  I do miss the "boingboing" of CJ but I don't feel it is essential.  Actually, laying down Static Field (self-renewing sleep field) then drawing foe(s) to him with TT or Zapp (a snipe) means that he isn't moving a lot during actual battle.  This will be especially nice when he has the Overwhelming Force set 6-slotted in Havoc Punch, which will grant 4 points of knockback protection.

He'll be taking Tough at 44, giving some smash/lethal resist as well as a power in which to slot the two +3% defense procs.  With both Maneuvers and Scorpion Shield he'll be able to slot two LotG 7.5% recharge reduction, as well as the Shield Wall 5% resist-all proc.  He'll get more recharge reduction from other sets as well.

For his Alpha at 50, he'll probably take Agility, which begins with an End Mod boost at tier 1.  With the large majority of his pri and sec powers being slottable for end mod, he should be draining foes quite quickly, as well as boosting his own end recovery.  Tier 2 will add recharge reduction to every power (including Hasten), and tier 3 will add defense, boosting Maneuvers and Scorpion Shield.

-- Rock

You could drop the fighting pool.

If you want to help the team keep leadership, every bit helps even if the values are low on a dominator. You can still keep CJ and speed, and make up for the lost LOTG slot in weave with one in vengeance if you can fit that in.

As a dominator you have the luxury of being able to lock everything down so the loss of defense from weave isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

22 hours ago, Nemu said:

You could drop the fighting pool.

If you want to help the team keep leadership, every bit helps even if the values are low on a dominator. You can still keep CJ and speed, and make up for the lost LOTG slot in weave with one in vengeance if you can fit that in.

As a dominator you have the luxury of being able to lock everything down so the loss of defense from weave isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

Since he went with Scorpion Shield (defense), his only spot to put resist proc(s) will be Tough.  That's why he is taking Fighting Pool; wasn't even planning on Weave because will have Maneuvers and Scorpion Shield for defense procs.  Probably respec into Vengeance as you suggest as well.

• Like 1

-- Rock

I prefer Ice Mastery on Dominators, Sleet is really good and Frozen armor takes resist IOs. The benefit of scorpion shield is that you can take it without pre-requisites, but if I had to take a pre-requisite to get an armor, sleet is not a terrible pick.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 9/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, cohRock said:

I am very used to my guys having either Hover or Combat Jumping.  But now I'm faced with no room for Teleport Target due to four other pools already active

And my normal situation is exactly the opposite.  Out of 21 characters, only 3 of them DON'T have Teleport Target.  I'll occasionally take Combat Jumping on all-melee characters, but Teleport Target is pretty much required for me.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.