FARMING Chat Channel Please!

PZephregames

I passionately suggest a Farming Chat Channel. It seriously overpowers the chat greatly. A Dev created channel not a player one. So hard to weed through to see what else is happening. And on top of that they Spam chat with their farming messages.

Farming is not part of original gaming or of COX.

Those that wish to play game properly find it difficult to connect. 

it appears that creating a General chat channel has helped greatly, so a dedicated Farming channel looks good.

Thank you for your sincere consideration.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

What's playing the game "properly?" That's a slippery high horse to be standing/sloping. 🧐 Folks looking to join AE missions or recruiting others for those missions are, in fact, looking for a group.

My suggestion is for you to move that channel (and any others you might consider "improper") to their own tab(s); this may well help your personal enjoyment of the game as well as prevent the micromanaging of anyone else's. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Farming was always part of the game.  There just wasnt a central location to point the finger at.  I mostly dont farm but i occasionally hit up a farm in AE.  My only suggestion if your chat is too cluttered is to move some channels to another tab or consider a lower population server.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

Farming was always part of the game.  There just wasnt a central location to point the finger at.  I mostly dont farm but i occasionally hit up a farm in AE.  My only suggestion if your chat is too cluttered is to move some channels to another tab or consider a lower population server.

As Zag knows, I moved from the Excelsior shard to the Torchbearer shard several months ago.  It was one of the best City of Heroes-related decisions I've ever made.  You still see the occasional "PL me please!" messages in LFG, but they're few and far between compared to Excelsior, and playing on the shard is a delight.  On Excelsior, I pretty much completely ignored the LFG channel after a while.  On Torchbearer, I look at it and don't feel like I will lose my sanity if I keep the channel open.

22 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Farming was always part of the game.  There just wasnt a central location to point the finger at. 

One of the farming tricks that was employed until the devs stomped on it was setting up a team for a badge mission, having one of the team members enter the mission, and then the mission holder quits the team (often replaced by an alt needing the badge). The team gets the badge on mission completion, and the mission holder keeps the mission to do it again. Before Ouro, this was a common way to get the Spelunker badge on characters who'd leveled past the contacts that offered it. Because some people were charging absurd amounts of inf (for the time) for runs like these, the devs tweaked the game so that having a team complete your mission, even if you weren't on the team at the time, completed the mission for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, PZephregames said:

I passionately suggest a Farming Chat Channel. It seriously overpowers the chat greatly.

I feel your pain. I chuckle when I advertise an MSR and then see the ad scroll out of my LFG window by people asking for a farm. Like, why sit in a farm and do nothing when you can come punch Rikti and tell dad jokes, but whatevs.

I try to keep 2 things in mind. First, despite how I feel about the farming chatter, my leagues always fill. Well, 9.9 times out of 10. People who are looking to play will scroll back through LFG and find my post. Second, we have absolutely no guarantee the game will be here tomorrow. If being PL'd brings you some sort of joy, go for it, I say. Gratz on your bright, shiny new 50 that you have no idea how to pass a league star or give an item to another player without using a trade window. But if it brought you joy, great.

Having said that, I think people are more likely to have success by going to their favorite AE and speaking in LOCAL, rather than going to LFG - but maybe I am wrong. On those occasions I do farm, that's how I am looking for folks.

And, also, I wish we had an "Ignore for 30 minutes" option.

• Thumbs Up 1

All suggestions to give the power-gaming community its own sandbox are howled down... by, it seems, the power gamers. My working conclusion is that they just don't enjoy it without an audience. 🙂

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

6 hours ago, PZephregames said:

I passionately suggest a Farming Chat Channel. It seriously overpowers the chat greatly. A Dev created channel not a player one. So hard to weed through to see what else is happening. And on top of that they Spam chat with their farming messages.

Farming is not part of original gaming or of COX.

Those that wish to play game properly find it difficult to connect. 

it appears that creating a General chat channel has helped greatly, so a dedicated Farming channel looks good.

Thank you for your sincere consideration.

No.  Not necessary.  and farming was always, always part of CoH.  If you think it wasn't you never played the game before.  What's "playing properly?"  lol  the LFG channel is for everyone to use to find others to group with.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

All suggestions to give the power-gaming community its own sandbox are howled down... by, it seems, the power gamers. My working conclusion is that they just don't enjoy it without an audience. 🙂

... really? If anything, I'm the "don't tell other people how to play with *their* toys" community. Bold assumption. 

• Thumbs Up 2

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

3 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

... really? If anything, I'm the "don't tell other people how to play with *their* toys" community. Bold assumption. 

Which is the usual argument against doing anything. "Can['t we all just get along?"

Well, yeah, but my suggestions to create a power-gamer fork in the shards is largely meant to benefit them. If nothing but end-game content matters, give them the end game and lighten up the vibe everywhere else.

But, no. I've stopped suggesting it in any form. I don't need to be told again that I want to ban players or something.

• Thumbs Down 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

27 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

shit take tbh bro

I would create a thread asking for MSR attendants, lowbie task force leaders, etc to be segregated away from the rest of the community, but I don’t because I don’t have a problem sharing the game’s chat channel space. Do you see how that works?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Do you see how that works?

Yes. The idea that there might be two or three communities that would be happier each having their own adapted space is up there with eliminating all but the poweriest power sets. 🙂

• Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Shenanigunner said:

Yes. The idea that there might be two or three communities that would be happier each having their own adapted space is up there with eliminating all but the poweriest power sets. 🙂

Ok let’s try a different direction:

Will you support “Looking For Group” only allowing farm team recruiting, and the creation of a new channel with a different name for all the people who want to find a group of a different type?

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

The City of Heroes community is too small to fracture any further.  You keep wanting to put people into nice easy boxes.  "Power gamer."  "Casual."  "Farmer."  It doesn't work like that.  It can't work like that.

I have friends that exclusively speed run.  I have friends that exclusively steamroll/kill through.  I have friends that mostly solo.  I have friends that mostly team.  I have friends that farm.  I have friends that don't farm.  I have friends that regularly go to Hamidon raids or even lead them.  I have other friends that wouldn't touch a Hamidon raid with a ten foot pole.  Heck, I even have friends that PvP, as distasteful as I find it.  Yet they are all friends I like to play with.  You can't silo us all away into nice easy boxes because we don't fit into one single box.

Also, power gamers aren't the only farmers.  I know plenty of "power gamers" who don't farm, and I know plenty of farmers who are far from "power gamers."

You just have to deal with the power gamers like we have to deal with you.

• Like 7

I do everything...I play TFs of any lvl, I min/max, I farm, I play evil marketeer, I flashback, I badge, and once in awhile I pvp.

But, one thing I dont do is PUG, I have a dedicated friends list and that's who I team with. 

Trying to segregate people based on their flavor of the game is dumb, what happens if you have people that just want to get their toon PLd and then run a group? 

Too many variables, I suggest ignoring it or starting your own channel.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

43 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

always find it amazing how a community that loves to say how welcoming/tolerant/great it is has some of the most intolerant people ever.  lol

8 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

always find it amazing how a community that loves to say how welcoming/tolerant/great it is has some of the most intolerant people ever.  lol

hey, we have 3 spiritual successors and how many Coh rogue servers running?  I think it’s a welcoming community but everyone wants it run their way/their vision.  That’s emotional investment and attachment for an old game.  

I would probably customize a version of COH to my hopes and dreams too and I think other players would enjoy.  Then I would log in and find i am the only player 😛

Edited by starro
Typo o
  • Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

The City of Heroes community is too small to fracture any further.  You keep wanting to put people into nice easy boxes.  "Power gamer."  "Casual."  "Farmer."  It doesn't work like that.  It can't work like that.

There are not enough likes available for this paragraph.

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

Also, power gamers aren't the only farmers.  I know plenty of "power gamers" who don't farm, and I know plenty of farmers who are far from "power gamers."

Or this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Gonna have to say no to this and here's the logic as much as I don't like leeches begging myself.

If the devs make a farming channel, fine, but people will still beg in lfg because they might not find someone willing to level them up in the proposed farming channel.

For the best thing to do...the idiom "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for life" comes to mind. It's best for people that want to farm a toon up to make their own farmer on an alt and PL themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

the idiom "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for life" comes to mind.

That's a misquote of the original -- "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish, and he'll sit around in a boat all day drinking beer."        😉

32 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

That's a misquote of the original -- "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish, and he'll sit around in a boat all day drinking beer."        😉

I thought it was based on the earlier idiom, "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." 🔥

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

18 hours ago, starro said:

hey, we have 3 spiritual successors and how many Coh rogue servers running?  I think it’s a welcoming community but everyone wants it run their way/their vision.  That’s emotional investment and attachment for an old game.  

I would probably customize a version of COH to my hopes and dreams too and I think other players would enjoy.  Then I would log in and find i am the only player 😛

No it's people not appreciating what they have and being intolerant of others who don't play the same way they do.   

• Like 1