Please have players zone in further from the portal in Oro

Excraft

40 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

All of those are negated by having people zone in a little further away.   And seriously, "go play on a less populated server" is literally a stupid excuse lol.  

Those are not excuses, they are alternatives that don't require any work to be done on behalf of the HC team. Playing on a different server is a solution for the problem discussed by the original poster.

For you to call them stupid means you are not worth my time, welcome to ignore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

1. Play on a different server with a lower population

2. Use the Ouroboros portal while in the zone to get teleported directly to the exit.

3. Exit using any other methods (Team teleport, Long Range Teleport, Mission Teleport, Supergroup Base Portal power, Mission Team teleport, temp teleport powers, etc.)

4. Teleport to the exit or have another player teleport you to the exit.

5. Just click the exit and grumble about it later.

1. ...along with everyone else in your SG and the other people that you regularly group with. Not logistically feasible.

2. ...after the wait for your Ouro Portal recharge, because you used it to get to Ouro in the first place. Adding a several-minute wait is even more inconvenient than trying to fish out the exit from the crowd.

4. ...if you have a teleportation power.

5. "Just suck it up" is a fairly insensitive suggestion, in essence the "It's not a problem for me, so your opinion doesn't matter" attitude.

Rather than moving the arrival point or imposing an intermittent repulsion field, a potential solution would be to alter the Ouro portal graphic and activation point to make it taller, putting the targetable part high enough that it doesn't get buried among all the people standing at the arrival point. The third-person view that is the default in the game makes raising the target point a negligible change for the players.

Edited by srmalloy
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

1. ...along with everyone else in your SG and the other people that you regularly group with. Not logistically feasible.

2. ...after the wait for your Ouro Portal recharge, because you used it to get to Ouro in the first place. Adding a several-minute wait is even more inconvenient than trying to fish out the exit from the crowd.

5. "Just suck it up" is a fairly insensitive suggestion, in essence the "It's not a problem for me, so your opinion doesn't matter" attitude.

Rather than moving the arrival point or imposing an intermittent repulsion field, a potential solution would be to alter the Ouro portal graphic and activation point to make it taller, putting the targetable part high enough that it doesn't get buried among all the people standing at the arrival point. The third-person view that is the default in the game makes raising the target point a negligible change for the players.

But what do you think of the “move your cursor a little” suggestion that has a 100% success rate for me on Excelsior?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

1. Beggars can't be choosers, eh? If the population is too high, there is bound to be situations like this occurring. If it bothers a player enough, they will do something about it. If not, they won't do anything (except maybe look for other alternatives).

2. 5 minutes to wait versus moving over to the portal and clicking it... 

3. Noticed you didn't say anything about 3, so I take that as approval. 

4. There are plenty of options for players if they don't want to experience what is described in the OP. Teleportation powers are one of those options. You did not come up with a reason why this is not good alternative.

5. You used quotes in that one, but those aren't my words, so I am assuming you're responding to someone else... but then you quoted my post. Are you confused about something here? Definitely don't understand what you are saying here.

Moving the arrival point or imposing an intermittent repulsion field require time and effort on behalf of the HC team, my alternatives do not. They put the onus on the players to use what is given to them to solve their own problems. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Those are not excuses, they are alternatives that don't require any work to be done on behalf of the HC team. Playing on a different server is a solution for the problem discussed by the original poster.

Why don't you let one of the Homecoming what's a lot of work and what isn't instead of gatekeeping?  I mean, sure a single person might move to a lower pop server, but what about their family, friends, SG mates and such?  Or should they all move too?  We can all come up with any number of workarounds for all kinds of stuff that's been implemented here where development time could've been spent on other things.  But the people here did it anyway.  I mean seriously, what's the harm in looking into whether or not this is a simple fix?  It might literally take 30 seconds or it might be a shit ton of work.  We don't know so lets let someone familiar with the code reply instead of the gatekeeping brigade coming out in force.

3 hours ago, arcane said:

But what do you think of the “move your cursor a little” suggestion that has a 100% success rate for me on Excelsior?

Sometimes this is easier said than done with how cluttered the portal gets.  You're clicking on players or pets instead of the portal itself.

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

^ What @srmalloy wrote

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Why don't you let one of the Homecoming what's a lot of work and what isn't instead of gatekeeping?

Oh. I did not realize that Glacier Peak was a developer. Thank you for that information.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

If it bothers a player enough, they will do something about it.

I did do something about it.  I made a suggestion in the suggestions and feedback forum, which to my knowledge is encouraged by the developers here.  You're welcome to disagree with my suggestion, however the "I have a sandwich" and "suck it up" don't work and isn't helpful at all, nor is moving to another server or any of the other "solutions" you mentioned.  I would appreciate it if what is or isn't a lot of work for the development team be left to the real development team instead of the gatekeepers like yourself.  Gatekeeping isn't helping anyone and is more a detriment to these forums and community than it is a help.  

Thanks for your comments.  Your solutions aren't helpful in the least and quite frankly aren't worth my time or effort to respond to anymore.

Edited by Excraft
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

41 minutes ago, Excraft said:

I did do something about it.  I made a suggestion in the suggestions and feedback forum, which to my knowledge is encouraged by the developers here.

And in the same amount of time, you could...move your mouse cursor. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

I did do something about it.  I made a suggestion in the suggestions and feedback forum, which to my knowledge is encouraged by the developers here.  You're welcome to disagree with my suggestion, however the "I have a sandwich" and "suck it up" don't work and isn't helpful at all, nor is moving to another server or any of the other "solutions" you mentioned.  I would appreciate it if what is or isn't a lot of work for the development team be left to the real development team instead of the gatekeepers like yourself.  Gatekeeping isn't helping anyone and is more a detriment to these forums and community than it is a help.  

Thanks for your comments.  Your solutions aren't helpful in the least and quite frankly aren't worth my time or effort to respond to anymore.

I didn't say the things you are attributing to me. In fact, I provided a summation of all the other alternatives that were offered in this thread instead of your suggestion. You're clearly not interested in solutions to your problem. You just wanted a place to complain. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

On 10/14/2021 at 10:36 AM, TheZag said:

Id actually be in favor of having 2 exit portals so i can still go to ouro and immediately click the portal to exit.  And a second off to an area with some space so people can still get out when the portal is cluttered.

How about adding the normal locations to the echo portal? Dunno if that is easy but it seems like it might. I don't know if people use the echo locations a lot and would be annoyed by the menu clutter but I only ever go there for badges. 

Why do people need to get this aggressive by someone asking if the portal can be moved/expanded. Feel free to disagree that it needs to be done, give your suggestions on workarounds (they can disagree with your suggestions just like you disagree with theirs). None of you know how easy or difficult it would be to do, maybe it's as simple as moving a portal in a base, maybe they'd have to invent a new coding language. A GM/Dev would have to answer that, all of you are guessing on what it would take.

I personally think it's worth looking into. It could cause the world to implode tho, so good luck everyone!

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

Why do people need to get this aggressive by someone asking if the portal can be moved/expanded. Feel free to disagree that it needs to be done, give your suggestions on workarounds (they can disagree with your suggestions just like you disagree with theirs). None of you know how easy or difficult it would be to do, maybe it's as simple as moving a portal in a base, maybe they'd have to invent a new coding language. A GM/Dev would have to answer that, all of you are guessing on what it would take.

I personally think it's worth looking into. It could cause the world to implode tho, so good luck everyone!

You aren't a mod, don't get to say to anyone what they can or can't say. My posts are well within the guidelines of these forums and they have not been moderated or edited once. Listen to your own advice and don't tell other people what to do. 

You also have no evidence to prove that the suggestion from the OP would be easy to implement either. So if you can imagine it's easy, then you can imagine it's also hard as well. Right? That's only fair to assume since there is no evidence to prove either way. 

My alternatives require NO EFFORT in behalf of the HC team, and would instead require individual players use all the resources available to them to solve their own problem. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

For the record, I have no problem with this suggestion if it’s an easy fix. My posts were simply trying to get at the true essence of the problem. As someone who hangs out in Ouro in a populous server, I simply have never once been unable to get out of Ouro via the portal. This leaves me wondering exactly how small and insignificant the inconvenience is.

However, me questioning the extent of the problem does not amount to “aggression” or anything like that. They’re just questions. 

As for people that misrepresent every criticism of every suggestion as some apocalyptic phobia like “it could cause the world to implode”... well, logically, those people aren’t particularly worth listening to, are they.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

You aren't a mod, don't get to say to anyone what they can or can't say. My posts are well within the guidelines of these forums and they have not been moderated or edited once. Listen to your own advice and don't tell other people what to do. 

You also have no evidence to prove that the suggestion from the OP would be easy to implement either. So if you can imagine it's easy, then you can imagine it's also hard as well. Right? That's only fair to assume since there is no evidence to prove either way. 

My alternatives require NO EFFORT in behalf of the HC team, and would instead require individual players use all the resources available to them to solve their own problem. 

You are absolutely correct, I don't get to tell you what you can say. And I didn't. You aren't a Dev so you don't get to tell people what the HC team can or cant do also. Or what they might deem "worth" their time. And the fact that I/We/You don't know what it would take WAS my point.

And they are great suggestions. I happen to think the OPs suggestion is worth looking into. You don't. I get to give my opinion same as you. Feel free to ignore it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

For the record, I have no problem with this suggestion if it’s an easy fix. My posts were simply trying to get at the true essence of the problem. As someone who hangs out in Ouro in a populous server, I simply have never once been unable to get out of Ouro via the portal. This leaves me wondering exactly how small and insignificant the inconvenience is.

However, me questioning the extent of the problem does not amount to “aggression” or anything like that. They’re just questions. 

As for people that misrepresent every criticism of every suggestion as some apocalyptic phobia like “it could cause the world to implode”... well, logically, those people aren’t particularly worth listening to, are they.

Sorry about the attempted humor. I will try to be more serious about this game breaking suggestion that needs to be shot down.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

You are absolutely correct, I don't get to tell you what you can say. And I didn't. You aren't a Dev so you don't get to tell people what the HC team can or cant do also. Or what they might deem "worth" their time. And the fact that I/We/You don't know what it would take WAS my point.

And they are great suggestions. I happen to think the OPs suggestion is worth looking into. You don't. I get to give my opinion same as you. Feel free to ignore it.

Ah! I missed that point. Apologies then, we are in agreement. I appreciate the added clarification. 

And I also agree that the suggestions made in this thread by everyone (including the OP) have so far been superb. The suggestions are superb - but the implementation of some of them are what I don't agree with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

On 10/15/2021 at 9:33 AM, Glacier Peak said:

3. Noticed you didn't say anything about 3, so I take that as approval. 

4. There are plenty of options for players if they don't want to experience what is described in the OP. Teleportation powers are one of those options. You did not come up with a reason why this is not good alternative.

5. You used quotes in that one, but those aren't my words, so I am assuming you're responding to someone else... but then you quoted my post. Are you confused about something here? Definitely don't understand what you are saying here.

... my alternatives do not. They put the onus on the players to use what is given to them to solve their own problems. 

3. I didn't comment on it because you threw enough different powers into it that "burning the use of that power until it recharges" is sort of moot, although many people only have one of them. Still, all it requires is throwing enough inf at the P2W vendor to address.

4. Having the 'solution' to a problem being requiring a specific power choice on the part of the players with the problem is not viable, either.

5. I used quote marks to indicate paraphrasing. "Just click the exit and grumble about it later" is both 'suck it up' and a 'not my problem, I can't be bothered to care' attitude.

Yes, your alternatives don't involve the HC staff... and every single one of them amounts to "suck it up, find a way to deal with it, and stop bitching about it".  This was a thread describing a problem -- one I've had myself when I try to click on the portal in Ouroboros on the occasions when there were a tight mass of characters jammed tightly around the portal to the point where it took me over a minute to find a viewing angle where I could a) see the diamond in the glare of more than two dozen visual effects, and b) click on it without having someone's character in the way -- to see if there were enough other people who had the same problem to toss it up to the HC staff for consideration for a change to address the problem. Every single suggestion presented on the forums would involve work on the part of the staff -- but if no one ever brings up a problem, they won't know that there are people who consider it a problem, and it will continue to be a problem.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, Excraft said:

Super super annoying to try and exit Oro when there are piles of others just loitering around on top of the exit portal.   Can we please have players zone in a little further away from it as they come in?  Would be a super helpful QoL improvement.  Thank you.

Or  make a different exit from the zone as I have encountered a few times when I've had to click around a bit to find a way out of the zone because people zone in and then don't move.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buddy the Elf makes debut for HUB Late Night

Untitled.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, The_Warpact said:

Just have them spawn in 10' off the side of the mezzanine so they can fall to the reflection pool.

Exactly what I was coming here to say - everybody gets in the soup!

• Haha 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/15/2021 at 11:04 PM, Aurora_Girl said:

This is easier said than done when there's a lot of people and pets crowding the portal.  You're more often than not clicking on a player or pet box instead of the portal.  

On 10/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, Nerio72 said:

You aren't a Dev so you don't get to tell people what the HC team can or cant do also. Or what they might deem "worth" their time. And the fact that I/We/You don't know what it would take WAS my point.

Couldn't agree more.  The mods here are really falling down when it comes to the gatekeepers in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, TheZag said:

Or it could be possible that just being near the exit portal brings up the destination menu without clicking the portal and moving away closes it like the ferry.

That's not a bad idea either

On 10/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, Aurora_Girl said:

Tell that to the Longbow Cataphract Essence or Banished Pantheon Ravager Essence standing on the portal. I ran into that situation the other day, and there was physically no way for me to click on the portal because it was inside the lore pet. It took another character zoning in with one of the big lore pets pushing the Cataphract out of the way for me to be able to click on the portal. The change the HC staff made to remove the collision box from the various portals makes a lot of things easier, but it allows a portal to be completely obstructed.

• Thumbs Up 3