superadine raids, and why Heroes suck

Snarky

So, I am slow levelling a character, badging as I go.  Level 14, doing some Superadine raids.  1st one, solo, 37 Super trolls.  Need 50.  All Next day, 3 raids, people are 1) doing it wrong (killing the entire rave and not lettiong supers spawn) 2) not inviting to team.  So I am watching a 50 just melt everything with me having no chance to badge and them ignoring requests in local and private tells for a team invite.

See, Redsiders have always tended to work together.  Sure, we are villains.  But we are not stupid.  um, except a few of the undead, a couple SS 'roid junkies, and the sociopath in the corner, while not stupid, does not play well with others.  But aside from those exceptions Redsiders work together.  Blue?   Its a unflushed toilet bowl Blueside.  Just not pretty

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Breaking up Troll raves in the caves in The Hollows always seemed like a real jerk move anyway.
They are just hanging out, getting high, dancing and having drum circles in a cave.
Why is that my business? Why am I beating them up?
Poor guys...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't that the rave that had all the barrels of dynamite hanging being improperly stored regardless of current local safety regulations?

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

1st one, solo, 37 Super trolls.  Need 50.  All Next day, 3 raids, people are 1) doing it wrong (killing the entire rave and not lettiong supers spawn) 2) not inviting to team.  So I am watching a 50 just melt everything with me having no chance to badge and them ignoring requests in local and private tells for a team invite.

The problem isn't the players, it's the event.  The two badges were designed with conflicting requirements.  The Raver badge requires defeating 50 trolls before they go inside and transform into Supa Trolls, whereas the Dee Jay badge requires defeating 50 Supa Trolls.  Consequently, attending the rave event makes it nearly impossible for players to acquire the Dee Jay badge.  That isn't because heroes are assholes, it's because the Paragon crew didn't think it through.

For the Dee Jay badge, it's significantly easier to just zone in at the central Skyway station and pulp the Supa Trolls there (when they leave the event area, they go there).  You can get all 50 in short order that way.  Or you can have your ass handed to you, if you're trying to do it at level or below, since there can be a couple dozen at each stairway (again, Paragon's bad judgement, not player-created havoc).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

The problem isn't the players, it's the event.  The two badges were designed with conflicting requirements.  The Raver badge requires defeating 50 trolls before they go inside and transform into Supa Trolls, whereas the Dee Jay badge requires defeating 50 Supa Trolls.  Consequently, attending the rave event makes it nearly impossible for players to acquire the Dee Jay badge.  That isn't because heroes are assholes, it's because the Paragon crew didn't think it through.

For the Dee Jay badge, it's significantly easier to just zone in at the central Skyway station and pulp the Supa Trolls there (when they leave the event area, they go there).  You can get all 50 in short order that way.  Or you can have your ass handed to you, if you're trying to do it at level or below, since there can be a couple dozen at each stairway (again, Paragon's bad judgement, not player-created havoc).

While that is indeed very true. it does not explain why the lvl 50 refused to answer or invite snarky to team, it would not get him any disadvantage as long he is the leader.

If he hadnt him on ignore, chat window closed or couldnt understand english for whatever reason there may be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

I won't deny that 50 could've invited him and was a bit rude to just ignore messages, assuming they had chat open.  I don't think people should be obligated to invite people to a team just because someone asks though.  They have just as much right as the next person to be there.  It's not like this event is a one time deal either.  There will be other raids.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

I won't deny that 50 could've invited him and was a bit rude to just ignore messages, assuming they had chat open.  I don't think people should be obligated to invite people to a team just because someone asks though.  They have just as much right as the next person to be there.  It's not like this event is a one time deal either.  There will be other raids.

The player did not have me on ignore (they might now). They answered me 5 minutes after the event.  They told me they were there first and advised me not to take it personal.  I told them since it had nothing to do with me I did not take it personal and told them they were the southern aperture of the digestive system (in one concise word).  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The player did not have me on ignore (they might now). They answered me 5 minutes after the event.  They told me they were there first and advised me not to take it personal.  I told them since it had nothing to do with me I did not take it personal and told them they were the southern aperture of the digestive system (in one concise word).  

Not agreeing with that other player at all, but insulting them isn't doing anyone any good.  You're basically being exactly what you called them by thinking your fun supersedes theirs.  2 wrongs don't make a right.  They had just as much right to be there and collect badges as you and aren't under any obligation to team with you.  It sucks that some people are jerks, but that's life.  @Luminara is right - it's not the players, it's how the event was designed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Luminara said:

For the Dee Jay badge, it's significantly easier to just zone in at the central Skyway station and pulp the Supa Trolls there (when they leave the event area, they go there).

I've also seen them going for the sewer entrance NE of the hospital in Skyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

They answered me 5 minutes after the event.

Which brings us to the other monumental development fuck-up that causes situations like this.  This game doesn't encourage player to player interaction.  In fact, it actively discourages player to player interaction.  Not only does the game default to cramming all of the commonly used communication channels into a single tab, in which it also shoves the combat channels (thereby causing messages to be easily missed during combat), but it also demands that players pay attention to their power tray, health/endurance and the action on the screen, thereby reinforcing the behavior simply because it's impossible to keep up with what's going on in the chat window if you're actively participating in content (yes, we can move windows to group them together, and we can isolate chat channels in separate tabs so we don't miss communication, but these options don't fix anything, they merely move the burden of attempting to compensate for the horrendous UI onto the player).

I never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.  That's what I see here, and I'm not referring to the player, but to Cryptic and their ineptly designed UI.  Yes, the player absolutely was a dick after the fact (appropriate response would have been to ask to place you on global friend list and help you get the relevant badge next time the event popped), but the ultimate source of the issue was not his/her dickness, it was the bad UI.

Please don't make snap judgements of those of us who play heroes, @Snarky, based on this situation.  People are going to miss messages.  The UI strives to make that happen.  That doesn't mean we're all assholes, it means we're all human, and until/unless the UI is redesigned to be more intuitive, expect it and don't let it frustrate you.  And if you're still having trouble acquiring the badge, send me a /tell when I'm logged in and I'll help you.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

My experience is also that villains tend to better together than heroes do. Which is weirdly opposite of how it should be. However, someone's not rude simply because they don't respond to a random tell.

I'm usually on Discord talking with my friends while I'm playing, so my chat window's often closed. So unless you send me a tell, and I hear it over the screams of my victims... I mean protests of those being arrested..., I'm not going to respond to you.

According to your definition I'm rude simply because I'm too busy having fun with my friends to even notice random messages from other people.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I like getting most defeat badges by myself so I street sweep a lot (no purple caves & no 5-layer cake room, go at my own pace). Some I get due to TFs, and that is okay.

As for that raid, I prefer to solo that, too. But if someone else is there, or comes in when I'm already there, I'll leave and come back another time.  I do wait for the Supatrolls to show up and get that badge first, then go after the ravers. Yeah, sometimes it takes 3 tries, but I'm not in a hurry. 

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

Please don't make snap judgements of those of us who play heroes, @Snarky, based on this situation.  People are going to miss messages.  The UI strives to make that happen.  That doesn't mean we're all assholes, it means we're all human, and until/unless the UI is redesigned to be more intuitive, expect it and don't let it frustrate you.  And if you're still having trouble acquiring the badge, send me a /tell when I'm logged in and I'll help you.

I like the Atlas story Arc that has the Hero who does NOT do anything to stop the villains.  Hellions I think?  Hilarious and so accurate.  In my opinion.  I wish it was a 'snap' judgement.  But it is an accumulation of long decades of watching people do mean and stupid sh....er stuff.  Just because they are so self absorbed, WHILE thinking they are somehow the person in the right.  At least I know I am a wretched soul.

I did get the badge thanks.  Another Raid, another 40.  I explained the mechanics and we both finished off BOTH badges.  I suspect it was another Redsider like me slumming it Blueside.  All the cool kids are doing it these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I like the Atlas story Arc that has the Hero who does NOT do anything to stop the villains.  Hellions I think?  Hilarious and so accurate.  In my opinion.  I wish it was a 'snap' judgement.  But it is an accumulation of long decades of watching people do mean and stupid sh....er stuff.  Just because they are so self absorbed, WHILE thinking they are somehow the person in the right.  At least I know I am a wretched soul.

I did get the badge thanks.  Another Raid, another 40.  I explained the mechanics and we both finished off BOTH badges.  I suspect it was another Redsider like me slumming it Blueside.  All the cool kids are doing it these days.

I don't want to break your immersion or anything, but you know we aren't actual heroes or villains IRL right?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hush., you!  😃

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

Its Skulls, the so called hero is "Icedrone" hangs out with the protesters, depending how u answer to him he fight along with u in a door mish later or u have to fight him 1st in that same mish cause he get aggroed. Its the 1st Mish of Sondra Costel contact that sends u to him.

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thumbs Up 2

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

4 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Its Skulls, the so called hero is "Icedrone" hangs out with the protesters, depending how u answer to him he fight along with u in a door mish later or u have to fight him 1st in that same mish cause he get aggroed. Its the 1st Mish of Sondra Costel contact that sends u to him.

somehow i always end up fighting him...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Maybe he doesn't like Willem DaFoe.  😛

I see what you did there...

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

On 10/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, Vulpoid said:

Breaking up Troll raves in the caves in The Hollows always seemed like a real jerk move anyway.
They are just hanging out, getting high, dancing and having drum circles in a cave.
Why is that my business? Why am I beating them up?
Poor guys...

This right here! Instead of beating them up, perhaps be nice and they'll share their rave candy!

• Thumbs Up 2