underwater adventures

it's always struck me as weird that there are numerous bodies of water in the game but there are no underwater missions. just put some stuff in the water! you could even add a water breathing pool power and allow stores to sell a temporary version of it that looks like scuba gear. this would allow you to add whole new enemy factions to the game, and have some of the existing factions have underwater missions. eventually you could work toward adding new underwater maps including even the possibility of new city zones in both COH and COV. 

There are a few places in the world of Co* that a player can try going underwater. Due to a lack of specific animation for wading or swimming, along with a lack of layers for the player to move through, the player has to use their imagination that they are actually swimming underwater. There is a place in Grandville where this can be done, a few places outside the war walls in Paragon City, and a mission in the ITF that has a deep enough pull to swim underwater in. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

One of the DEVs before the Sunset was dead set against any underwater stuff or water powers. My understanding is they thought underwater and water power FX couldn't be done properly to make them look realistic enough.

There are some stealth underwater places. On come of the Crimerora maps there are some pools that go under bridges and you can go underwater there. It doesn't go anywhere special, but you can swim underwater. It is nowhere near like Atlantis on DCUO.

Thought I think an undersea/lake/water area/sections is a cool idea, I don't think it would be used enough compared to other stuff that the DEVs are focusing on.

Honestly. with the whole Time Travel thing with the Oroborus, I think zones from other time periods/alternate time streams might draw more use. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Yeah, good bit of tech and animation work would need to be done.

Not sure if the team as they sit now could realistically do it (given time and numbers,) but I think it'd still be fun if they could.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

One issue is how certain travel or regular powers would interact while underwater - Champions Online basically forced every travel power into some form of "flight", and ignored all other powers - so fire and electricity still behaved normally, etc.  If our powers were left unchanged while under water, then besides a graphical difference, what would be the point?  I mean, would you just want to see a screen-wide rippling/blur effect?  Perhaps some bubbles rising around you?  What kind of changes would you expect while under water? 

I've seen screenshots of SG bases that were built to appear to be underwater - perhaps that could be a good compromise.

As for actual underwater missions, I have mixed feelings.    The underwater missions in WoW and other MMOs I've played,

while they looked cool, were a royal pain.  Never did like having enemies coming at me from literally every direction.

And considering that most powers in the game, especially area effect powers, probably assume a somewhat horizontal plane to find out which targets are hit,

it would require massive rewrite of that code.

here's some footage of what it looks like in DCUO

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

19 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

There are some stealth underwater places. On come of the Crimerora maps there are some pools that go under bridges and you can go underwater there.

As I understand it, there are two 'diveable' locations -- the Cimerora cave end room with the crossed walkways, as you say, and a pool on the north side of Grandville outside the walls. Neither one provides anything useful you can do with them, but they're there.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Neither one provides anything useful you can do with them

Agreed. Based on what I said in my post, I think someone snuck them in, and they were never supposed to be there or of any use.

It's a shame too, because they could have at least use what little of a mechanic it was to travel to an area with an Easter Egg at the very least.

Using it to travel to underground caverns inhabited by Coralax would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

I don't want this to be a big deal. I'm fine with letting power sets pretty much work as they do now underwater, including fire and electricity. I don't need it to make sense. I just want it to be fun. I can swim to the bottom but there's no reason to because there are no mission doors, no explorer points no contacts and most of all nothing to encounter. That's what I'd like to see added.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Mighty Paladin said:

That's what I'd like to see added.

Lusca is great, but I'd like to have other threats added to the water in general. Even if they are just Coralax swimming around in the water like a player character.

Sharkshead Isle with no sharks in the surrounding waters?! Come on!

• 2 weeks later

I really liked it in WoW, ARK, Conan and such.

But given the technology and the amount of time that would need to be invested to make it look good for all costumes and powers, I can totally understand why CoH devs chose to not go that route back in the day.

For the current dev team it would be even harder as they do not have some of the core development tools (for animations/3D models) that would really help in bringing such things to life.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 11/1/2021 at 9:14 PM, UltraAlt said:

One of the DEVs before the Sunset was dead set against any underwater stuff or water powers. My understanding is they thought underwater and water power FX couldn't be done properly to make them look realistic enough.

There are some stealth underwater places. On come of the Crimerora maps there are some pools that go under bridges and you can go underwater there. It doesn't go anywhere special, but you can swim underwater. It is nowhere near like Atlantis on DCUO.

Kinda sounds strange cause Water Blast was one of the last Powersets that was released/tested on Live before sunset.

There is another in the Manticore Lair before u hit the last lab room theres a pool on both sides u can actually swim from one pool to another underwater.

Example is in the Twinshot Arc Last Mission in the 1st Arc of em. 2nd Arc when u go test against different Villain Groups theres another example of that map.

Certain orenbega maps have similar, but theyre kinda random.

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

4 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Kinda sounds strange cause Water Blast was one of the last Powersets that was released/tested on Live before sunset.

When was the last DEV shake up before the sunset?

I cancelled my subscription and quit playing almost exactly a year before the sunset.

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

When was the last DEV shake up before the sunset?

I cancelled my subscription and quit playing almost exactly a year before the sunset.

cant remember really and its not sure why those ppl left.. maybe they had insider info about NCSoft Plans or better offers elsewhere.. life goes on.. differences in the team could be just one of the many reasons for a certain dev leaving and of course normally there is replacement needed. The Only one i recall after nearly 10 years that was leaving before sunset announcement was Castle.. maybe someone has more detailed Infos about this part , old forum maybe some ppl i saw in a different thread are compiling it back up.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

17 minutes ago, SuggestorK said:

cant remember really and its not sure why those ppl left.. maybe they had insider info about NCSoft Plans or better offers elsewhere.. life goes on.. differences in the team could be just one of the many reasons for a certain dev leaving and of course normally there is replacement needed. The Only one i recall after nearly 10 years that was leaving before sunset announcement was Castle.. maybe someone has more detailed Infos about this part , old forum maybe some ppl i saw in a different thread are compiling it back up.

I think there is a cover-up going on.
When I search for "was dev castle against water power in city of heroes?", one of the search results is ::

Count Dracula - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Count_Dracula

Count Dracula is the title character of Bram Stoker's 1897 gothic horror novel Dracula. ... One of Dracula's most iconic powers is his ability to turn others into ...

• Haha 1