But Jimmy . . .

Bionic_Flea

27 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Wait. That was real!?!?

I assumed it was an internet gag or something!

Wow.

This must be how they got people to buy random comics back then, throw some random shit on the cover and prey on curiosity.

If there was a comic with pregnant Superman at a cheap motel holding a baby elephant with an intergalactic alien holding a camera saying "ya gotta spread em open wide, Supes. Now take 3! Action!" I just might spend a dollar to find out wtf is happening...

17 hours ago, Naraka said:

This must be how they got people to buy random comics back then, throw some random shit on the cover and prey on curiosity.

If there was a comic with pregnant Superman at a cheap motel holding a baby elephant with an intergalactic alien holding a camera saying "ya gotta spread em open wide, Supes. Now take 3! Action!" I just might spend a dollar to find out wtf is happening...

My absolute favorite Superman cover. "Superman's Pal" seems like a real crappy life.  (Apparently I'm crap at adding images to posts here)
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Superman's_Pal,_Jimmy_Olsen_Vol_1_30?file=Jimmy_Olsen_30.jpg

Edited by Panache

17 hours ago, Naraka said:

@Naraka, maybe not everything you wanted, but between Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olson, Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane, and Adventure Comics, they could definitely hit the WTF Event Horizon. The late 50's through the early 70's were a wonderful(?) time to be a comic reader

JimmyOlson.jpg

superboy.jpg

LoisLane.jpg

• Haha 2

On 3/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

Pineapple pizza is most definitely not the best. Fresh pineapple is delicious, hell I am growing 4 pineapple plants at home, but putting it on pizza and cooking it makes it weird.

It's like canned spinach. Fresh spinach is great, canned spinach I wouldn't eat even if Bluto was taking Olive oil out to sea and I needed to turn my legs into a propeller to move Wimpy and myself out to save her in a row boat like it was a speed boat.

I find this true of so much food.  I've had some (fairly) fresh coconut in my past, like the meat taken right out of the shell yeah, and now that dried and shaved (and often sugared) stuff you buy for baking or whatever just tastes awful or wrong to me.

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 3/10/2022 at 9:24 PM, Naraka said:

Yeah, that was a common tactic for DC back in the day "what's this?!  This cover shows Superman tossing the entire Earth into the sun!  But... why?!  I simply must spend my twelve cents to discover what's going on it this comic!!"

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 3/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, TraumaTrain said:

The '70s. The worst decade in comics.

There were clunkers, but we did start to see comics start to grow up a bit, at least in Marvel. Maybe it was a bad era for DC?

Anyway, as far as craptastic decades in comics, I have to go with the 90s, aka “edgelords, edgelords everywhere, and narry a story to be found.” 

Okay, I exaggerate — but not much. Ended up with a big parcel of 100 comics as a random Christmas gift (which included an extended run of Byrne’s Next Men, and a lot of random stuff). After trudging through a couple dozen dark, brooding, randomly violent, “we just found out sex exists!l issue, I was just, “Good God-can we get over ourselves already?  

Of course this was like some random lot. Maybe I got all the bad ones ...

How about the 80s=“Let’s put out 300 versions of the X-Men and Spidey!” (Barf) Or was that the 90s, too? It’s hard to get past the bristling weapons, fantastic cosmic chests, and itty bitty feet.

Yeah, I think I am going with the 90s, just for that.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Nah, the 70s were bad for Marvel too, they lost Jack Kirby.  I'm with you on the 90s 100% (and I think that's when they pumped out all the extra Spider-/X-Men too).

Go have fun!

6 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Nah, the 70s were bad for Marvel too, they lost Jack Kirby.  I'm with you on the 90s 100% (and I think that's when they pumped out all the extra Spider-/X-Men too).

Hard to recall now. What I remember was Tony Stark’s alcoholism, a big Avengers-Sentinels run, death of Gwen Stacy, the Man-Thing (Gerber’s 23-issue run). 

And then you had all the occult titles. Morbius, the living Vampire. Son of Satan. Werewolf by Night (as opposed to Early Morning Bad Breath Werewolf?). Marvel loved trends, and since we’d had Rosemary’s Baby, Exorcist, The Omen, etc. boy did we get a hefty dose of the Devil. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Howard the Duck was 70s though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Go have fun!

4 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Howard the Duck was 70s though!

And who remembers the Vamp-cow? Hm? And who owned that particular HtD story (onlybecauseitappearedinagiant-sizedMan ThingorsomethingItotallydidn'tbuyit)?:-)

• Like 1