Is Assault from the power pool worth it?

starvingduck

So I was messing around in Mids using the DPS calculator and I noticed that for most of my builds Assault only adds 2 percent DPS increase even though the power itself adds 10 percent increase damage to a power. I was just wondering if it was really worth the spot on tight builds? In the past, I have always taken it on most everything, but I'm rethinking that now.

It's better on some ATs than others. Defenders and controllers have especially good modifiers for it. On any AT, it's pretty strong if everyone is taking it for full team stacks.

Taken on its own, it's not so hot. It can be an okay one slot wonder if your other choices require more investment, but typically tactics is a better pick. Maybe you'd choose both if you have many free picks.

• Like 1

Much more effective on support ATs and in team situations but generally if you're alone the end cost for the damage buff isn't worthwhile.  It's at least useful in that it does not need any slotting whatsoever and can get by with just an IO EndRedux so you can put the level up slots elsewhere.

IMO, you should be taking it on support ATs if you can.  Defenders and SoA get the highest values out of it, and SoA can double down on it with their own version.  Masterminds have no reason not to take it as it's more damage for all pets.  Controllers and Corrupters are also good with support and more won't hurt.  Other ATs, maybe if you have a power pick left over but the lower values make it much less enticing.  I would also say Assault is the lowest priority of the three toggles.  Maneuvers is great for survival (especially for SoA as their own version has much higher values) and also accepts a Luck of the Gambler unique while Tactics has the accuracy and perception bonuses to help land those stronger hits.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Not really, or kinda. Depends on how you view it.

On a suppert/Tanker it says it's 15% but actual testing shows to be 4-5%. This is the not really part.

But a team has 8 people. So as long as they are close enough it's 5% x8. This is the kinda part.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, starvingduck said:

So I was messing around in Mids using the DPS calculator and I noticed that for most of my builds Assault only adds 2 percent DPS increase even though the power itself adds 10 percent increase damage to a power. I was just wondering if it was really worth the spot on tight builds? In the past, I have always taken it on most everything, but I'm rethinking that now.

Usually not, unless you have room for an extra power pick somewhere. Damage bonuses in this game are sort of misleading because a, say, 10% bonus isn't actually 10% - damage bonuses only affect base damage and also do not affect damage from procs.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Tank yes. Brute hell no. Scrapper, yea, but only if you care about eking out as much damage as possible which is almost always not the right move in 99% of your game time. I have it on my claws/bio scrapper but only cuz it increases my DPS against pylons.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

• 4 weeks later
On 1/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, Sovera said:

On a suppert/Tanker it says it's 15% but actual testing shows to be 4-5%. This is the not really part.

On most of your attacks, you'll be running +150% or so damage. Adding another 15% would take it from a 2.5x attack to a 2.65x, or a 6% boost. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

In any case, if you've got the endurance and the power slot to spare, there's little reason not to take it. Unlike Maneuvers/Tactics which mostly serve as self-buffs (since your group mates will have already capped their hit/defense without your help), Assault is almost always a benefit for the entire group.

12 hours ago, Hjarki said:

On most of your attacks, you'll be running +150% or so damage. Adding another 15% would take it from a 2.5x attack to a 2.65x, or a 6% boost. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

In any case, if you've got the endurance and the power slot to spare, there's little reason not to take it. Unlike Maneuvers/Tactics which mostly serve as self-buffs (since your group mates will have already capped their hit/defense without your help), Assault is almost always a benefit for the entire group.

I don't math like that. I hit something while Assault is up. Then I turn it off and hit something again. Then I use an online math calculator to see the difference. That is how I saw Assault was worth 4-5% and Musculature 45% is worth 15%.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's one of those powers I take at level 49 if I've got no slots and nothing else I want.  Most endgame teams I see have sizable stacks of all 3 leadership toggles, so I think this is a common approach.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

It's one of those powers I take at level 49 if I've got no slots and nothing else I want.  Most endgame teams I see have sizable stacks of all 3 leadership toggles, so I think this is a common approach.

It's often times one of those picks for me as well, unless my build plan would reasonably allow it lower such as lvl 30ish since mobs in the manticore tf can taunt you.

That said the effectiveness of it varies by AT, and then by the chosen Powersets. For example, I wouldn't imagine any sane kinetics toons to also have assault when we're constantly skirting the damage cap anyways.

• Like 1