Worst builds?

Branr

There are a ton of threads out there with many ideas of “best” builds, with the general consensus being “play what you like”, which I completely agree with. My question is are there any combinations of archetype/power sets out there that many people think are the worst builds?

I don't know, a petless mastermind can still contribute to a team. They might solo slowly, but they can still solo. On the other hand, the classic 'healer' build is far worse.

What is the classic 'healer' build? It's an Empathy/doesn't-matter defender or doesn't-matter/empathy controller. Any aoe or single target heals? grab them asap. Rez ability? Grab it too. Buffs? Unneeded because you are a 'healer'. Attacks or control powers (if a controller)? Take the one you're forced to have at level 1, then immediately remove it from your power trays. It'll never get used. For pool powers grab your travel power of choice and the First Aid pool. And maybe leadership too since you're going to have so much room in your build. But don't actually use the Leadership toggles if you can help it because those aren't heals. If you're forced to take anything that isn't a heal or rez, remove it from your power tray asap because it's never going to be used.

• Haha 4

Melee Sentinel.

I won't lie, Master Brawler's bonuses to Focused Fighting and Focused Senses are pretty appealing, and with the addition of Cross Punch, and Boxing and Kick all providing buffs to the other, all you really need is Jump Kick or Air Superiority to get a good attack chain going.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Putting aside the petless MM, there are some primary/secondary combos that work at odds to each other, like sets that have different weapon redraw animations . I had a couple toons where I was forever rushing back and forth between melee and long range because my attacks were all narrow cones. There are also group combinations that totally suck together, like Ice Control and anything that has an Immobilize, or Ice Armor and not having an Empathy on hand, or Storm and any amount of melee.

Or, a power pools only, 6 slot all with end/acc/rech in them, blaster?

Named, jacked up of all trades.

I think that for maximum uselessness, you'd want that in an MM or Controller. A Scrapper or Blaster could probably be at least marginally respectable with Air Superiority and Weave.

Regen/Energy Melee tanker

What do you mean, this is for joke builds that don't take any actual powers, and instead intentionally gimp themselves by avoiding good options?

This is legitimately the worst power combo in the game, most likely - Regen is an atrocious defensive set built entirely on a one trick pony with little to no mitigation of its own, and Energy Melee got continually nerfed - it was nerfed in i4, i7, i10, briefly buffed in i11 to i7 levels, nerfed in i12, i14, and I think i16. It's just terrible, one of the worst damaging melee sets in the game across all archetypes.

Any build you don't enjoy is the worst build.

This would be my take on it, honestly.

One of the fascinating things about CoH is that I've seen people successfully playing every single combo of powers.  There may be some that do better/worse in certain scenarios, but nothing is completely unplayable.  Even Turtle Man had fun and he didn't take any powers at all.  ;)

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

This guy.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Rolling in the DPs!: Level 50 Natural Defender

Primary Power Set: Force Field

Secondary Power Set: Energy Blast

Power Pool: Presence

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Concealment

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Personal Force Field

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Run Speed +7.5%
  • (3) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 1: Power Bolt

• (A) Explosive Strike - Accuracy/Knockback

Level 2: Force Bolt

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (3) Force Feedback - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (5) Kinetic Crash - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (5) Kinetic Crash - Recharge/Knockback

Level 4: Provoke

• (A) Perfect Zinger - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (15) Mocking Beratement - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 6: Pacify

• (A) Range IO
  • (15) Range IO
  • (17) Range IO

Level 8: Detention Field

• (A) Accuracy IO
  • (17) Accuracy IO
  • (19) Accuracy IO

Level 10: Hover

• (23) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 12: Fly

• (A) Soaring - FlySpeed
  • (23) Soaring - Endurance/FlySpeed

Level 14: Unrelenting

• (A) Energy Manipulator - Chance to Stun

Level 16: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (37) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (48) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 18: Repulsion Field

• (25) Force Feedback - Recharge/Knockback
  • (25) Kinetic Crash - Recharge/Knockback
  • (27) Kinetic Crash - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (27) Explosive Strike - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (29) Explosive Strike - Damage/Knockback

Level 20: Flurry

• (A) Stupefy - Chance of Knockback
  • (31) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (48) Kinetic Combat - Knockdown Bonus

Level 22: Whirlwind

• (29) Force Feedback - Damage/Knockback
  • (50) Kinetic Crash - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (50) Kinetic Crash - Damage/Knockback

Level 24: Group Fly

• (A) Soaring - FlySpeed
  • (31) Soaring - Endurance/FlySpeed

Level 26: Repulsion Bomb

• (31) Force Feedback - Recharge/Knockback
  • (33) Kinetic Crash - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (33) Kinetic Crash - Recharge/Knockback
  • (33) Explosive Strike - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (34) Stupefy - Chance of Knockback

Level 28: Stealth

• (48) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Power Push

• (34) Force Feedback - Recharge/Knockback
  • (36) Kinetic Crash - Recharge/Knockback
  • (36) Kinetic Crash - Accuracy/Knockback
  • (36) Explosive Strike - Accuracy/Knockback

Level 32: Invisibility

• (34) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 35: Phase Shift

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (37) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (37) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (39) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 38: Intimidate

• (A) Glimpse of the Abyss - Endurance/Fear
  • (40) Nightmare - Fear/Range
  • (40) Unspeakable Terror - Disorient Bonus
  • (42) Unspeakable Terror - Fear/Range
  • (42) Horror - Fear/Range

Level 41: Invoke Panic

• (A) Glimpse of the Abyss - Endurance/Fear
  • (43) Nightmare - Fear/Range
  • (43) Unspeakable Terror - Disorient Bonus
  • (43) Unspeakable Terror - Fear/Range
  • (45) Horror - Fear/Range

Level 44: Misdirection

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (45) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (45) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (46) Accuracy IO
  • (46) Accuracy IO
  • (46) Accuracy IO

Level 47: Force Bubble

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 49: Afterburner

• (50) Gift of the Ancients - Endurance/Recharge

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Kinetic Combat - Knockdown Bonus
  • (19) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (21) Pounding Slugfest - Disorient Bonus
  • (21) HamiO:Membrane Exposure
  • (40) Hydra:Quark Partciles
  • (42) Titan:Citrine Shard

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Unbounded Leap - Jumping

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Springfoot - Jumping

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Quickfoot - Endurance

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Celerity - RunSpeed

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Unbounded Leap - Endurance

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Healing IO
  • (7) Healing IO
  • (7) Healing IO

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

• (A) Flight Speed IO
  • (9) Run Speed IO
  • (9) Flight Speed IO

Level 2: Health

• (A) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
  • (11) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (11) Numina's Convalesence - Endurance/Recharge

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO
  • (13) Jumping IO
  • (13) Jumping IO

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Energy Manipulator - Chance to Stun

Level 50: Resilient Core Paragon

Level 50: Incandescence Core Epiphany

Level 50: Ion Radial Final Judgement

Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment

Level 50: Spectral Core Flawless Interface

Level 50: Rularuu Radial Superior Ally

Level 0: Raptor Pack

------------

I'm going to say ice melee/FA brute.  Not because you can't fire farm on any type of /FA brute, burn is where most of your damage comes from after all.  But on an ice melee/FA brute, burn is nearly all of your damage, because your primary contributes so little to the equation.

Again, all /FA brutes are viable farmers so it's just a matter of degrees of effectiveness, but I've played every type of /FA brute possible (there are 22 primaries) and Ice Melee is by far the most annoying primary to work with on a farmer.

• Like 1

What do you mean, this is for joke builds that don't take any actual powers, and instead intentionally gimp themselves by avoiding good options?

This is legitimately the worst power combo in the game, most likely - Regen is an atrocious defensive set built entirely on a one trick pony with little to no mitigation of its own, and Energy Melee got continually nerfed - it was nerfed in i4, i7, i10, briefly buffed in i11 to i7 levels, nerfed in i12, i14, and I think i16. It's just terrible, one of the worst damaging melee sets in the game across all archetypes.

Savage/regen brute. Actually in the game. Already a thread in the brute forums about how Savage is under performing.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

AR/Dev...That Frankenstein gun*shivers*.  Lethal damage, most resisted type of damage in the game.  Don't get Flamethrower until late teens so you get something other than Lethal and of course it is a narrow cone and has craptastic accuracy.  Then caltrops is required for the tripmine to fire off since it keeps the mob close enough to trigger the mine.  Only benefit is beanbag and taser, with those two you can mez a boss as long as you don't miss with one.  I believe TD was nerfed like i23 or i24 so it didn't provide the accuracy it use to, making slotting accuracy in the powers now.  At least until you have IO sets installed in the powers.

I'd rather take Energy Melee over Fiery Melee (or Savage Melee, as mentioned elsewhere) insofar as you can at least stack stuns on something to keep it from attacking you.  The thought of engaging in a battle of attrition with e.g. an Elite Boss with no ranged attacks or control on an AT not particularly known for its sheer melee power is... not appealing.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Actually, Savage and Regen has a bit of synergy. Since Savage has an innate +recharge component, and regen is clicky heavy.

Savage/regen brute. Actually in the game. Already a thread in the brute forums about how Savage is under performing.

Synergy or not, Savage's damage is lacking. /regen for a brute only really comes into its own with IOs factored in and is going to have issues in various situations before that. /wp is a far better set on a brute.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Petless MM.

Giggle.

Or, a power pools only, 6 slot all with end/acc/rech in them, blaster?

Named, jacked up of all trades.

OR...

A power pool only, petless MM!

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.