Costume Saves for different Characters?

Janos2001

Preface: I am old and senile and I forgot to save the Costume/Character design that I made before I started with before I began playing and am thinking of restarting the Character with different Secondary Powers (I built him BEFORE I read about some of the changes/additions), but I do not want to have to try and rebuild his look by memory (not the best Memory in the world). Now, my question is, is there a way to save the character costume look to apply to another character that I make afterwards? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

17 minutes ago, TheZag said:

When i was newly returned i used a piece of paper and wrote down all the costume pieces at least 3 times before i noticed the save button.

Wow..  I am glad I am not the only one to not have seen that option... Makes me feel a smite better.

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

It's great, and handy when you are lazy like me and just recycle costumes. 

Especially if you're doing a themed SG. Then you could even send a copy of the file to other players to play with.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Especially if you're doing a themed SG. Then you could even send a copy of the file to other players to play with.

It'd be awesome if there was some way to place a mannequin wearing one of your costumes in a SG base, and allow others to interact with it to download the costume file, or allow players of your AE missions to "acquire" the costume file for custom NPCs you created, (all at the creator's choice, of course).

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I hate when SGs do that because it also changes your face, skin and hair.

Better to have a listing of the costume pieces and a chart of the colors.

• Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

15 hours ago, Janos2001 said:

Thank you both! I do not know HOW I missed that, but missed it I did... So again, sorry for the Silly Question, but thank you both for taking the time to answer me. 

A question never asked is knowledge never acquired.  Welcome to the forums.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:51 PM, Janos2001 said:

Thank you both! I do not know HOW I missed that, but missed it I did... So again, sorry for the Silly Question, but thank you both for taking the time to answer me. 

Please be aware that it does require the second character to be similar to the first.  For example, if I build the costume on standard male form, it will not transfer over to hulking male form.  I can't recall if costume elements effected by power set choices (for example dual pistols) will negate the swap as well if the second character has a different powerset selection.  But if you wish to create on one and use on a second of the same body type without additional costume elements, it works, even if the sliders are used. 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, Ironblade said:

I hate when SGs do that because it also changes your face, skin and hair.

Better to have a listing of the costume pieces and a chart of the colors.

Well it Would be a template that you then customize for the individual toon. Straight up clones would be silly. Well, unless you're doing a bunch of Gary's. 😛

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

20 hours ago, Techwright said:

Please be aware that it does require the second character to be similar to the first.  For example, if I build the costume on standard male form, it will not transfer over to hulking male form.  I can't recall if costume elements effected by power set choices (for example dual pistols) will negate the swap as well if the second character has a different powerset selection.  But if you wish to create on one and use on a second of the same body type without additional costume elements, it works, even if the sliders are used. 

Yes, this is probably the biggest hurdle of doing so, But if you were to copy the file and edit the copy to change things from say male -> female, then it may work so long as the corresponding pieces actually exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

Well it Would be a template that you then customize for the individual toon. Straight up clones would be silly. Well, unless you're doing a bunch of Gary's. 😛

Except that this is typically an existing toon and now I have to recreate their face from memory?  No thanks.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

45 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Except that this is typically an existing toon and now I have to recreate their face from memory?  No thanks.

It would be great if we could have an option to exclude the head or something, when it comes to loading a costume...

On 6/3/2022 at 6:43 PM, Ironblade said:

Edit (e.g., copy/paste from one file to another) the top part of the costume file, where all the slider values are located. Whether the clothes fit is another thing as there are female/male (and maybe huge but I don't make those characters) tags on costume pieces.

WARNING (and I hesitated posting this): you can mess things up, but then the CC won't load the file, do it with a copy of the original file. I played around with these files for a couple of years when the only thing we could play with was TITAN ICON. *sigh* One could load costumes directly on map and this bypass the CC's restrictions, so I had many pieces of different colors than the limited ones provided (a bluer blue, a more purple purple - see my avatar, can't get that color in game; also note the texture of the dress 😄, etc). I also played with the Scale number: 1900: 5 stories tall, 4500: 15 stories tall, 7000: too distorted. Also, those scales made the game go reaaaalllly slooooooow as I walked down the street. And -99 Scale is pretty much invisible, useful for taking screenshots without the character being in the way/must be in first person view. These are not legal scales. 🙂 

from a file of a female NPC whose face I liked and recreated as a best friend for my main character of the stories I was writing:

CostumeFilePrefix fem                                                   <--- not always present
Scale 1.8                                                                         <---- height
BoneScale -1
ShoulderScale -0.9104
ChestScale -0.3717                                                          <--- hubba hubba 🙂  I think the scale is from -1.0 to 1.0
WaistScale -1
HipScale -0.8433
LegScale -0.0632
HeadScales  0.2849,  0.4405,  0.009398
BrowScales  -0.5797,  -0.5929,  -0.6415
CheekScales  0.1885,  -1,  0.294
ChinScales  -0.5163,  -0.6438,  0.08309
CraniumScales  0.34,  0.4,  0.35
JawScales  -0.5929,  -1,  0.2723
NoseScales  0.3295,  -0.2844,  -0.3453
SkinColor  239,  173,  132
NumParts 28
BodyType 1                                                             <--- not in male files, perhaps Bodytype 0?  If anyone has a huge character, see if Bodytype is 2?
CostumePart ""                                                        <--- start of all 28 costume part locations
{
    Geometry short

Texture1 skin_tights
    Texture2 bikini_2
    DisplayName P1525729866
    RegionName "Lower Body"
    BodySetName Tights/Skin
    Color1  255,  190,  63
    Color2  0,  20,  61
    Color3  0,  0,  0
    Color4  0,  0,  0
}

-----------------------------------------------------

Then there's the face at the 3rd costume part:

CostumePart ""
{
    Geometry V_fem_Head.GEO/GEO_Head_V_Asym_Standard
    Texture1 !v_sf_face_skin_head_06                                                       <---- note this line in your original file; this may be an NPC face
    Texture2 None
    DisplayName P687117166
    RegionName Head

Texture1 !Face_Skin_V_Fem_Head_33                                                 <--- normal face texture (this is young face 2)

-----------------------------------------------------

FYI: the costume part for the skirt in the avatar pix:

CostumePart ""
{
    Geometry N_Fem_Steampunk_01.geo/GEO_N_Hips_Skirt_Vic_Steampunk_01
    Texture1 !Skirt_V_Talons_Siren_01                                                                                   <---- not normal texture for that skirt
    Texture2 none
    DisplayName P3930658043
    RegionName "Lower Body"
    BodySetName NewSkirts
    Color1  28,  0,  149                                                                                                          <--- Color1, Color2: not pickable color options
    Color2  41,  0,  61
    Color3  0,  0,  0
    Color4  0,  0,  0
}

Edited by gamingglen
  • Like 1