Should /Fiery Aura Scrappers take Provoke to keep enemies in the Burn patch?

Bojutsu

I used to have a Fire Tanker at game launch. Burn was extremely useful and powerful, but then it was nerfed. A fear effect was added to it, causing enemies to run out of the Burn patch even if taunted. 

I'm not sure exactly how Burn currently performs in this matter. Since Scrappers only get Confront, which is a single target taunt, do they need to take the AoE taunt Provoke in order to keep the enemies in the Burn patch? 

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Omega Force said:

1.  Be a brute.

2.  Take Confront, which appears to be AoE now in Mids.

3.  Use Ice Patch or other controls to knock them down.

4.  Take Provoke.

Have to be a Scrapper for this character.

Mids shows Confront as a single target taunt.

My powersets are decided and there is no control option available.

It looks like I may be taking Provoke. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Bojutsu said:

Have to be a Scrapper for this character.

Mids shows Confront as a single target taunt.

My powersets are decided and there is no control option available.

It looks like I may be taking Provoke. 

Defs go Brute for Fire Armor. Nothing you will do will keep enemies on the burn patch which is, like, 70% of the reason to go Fire Armor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bojutsu said:

This is a just for fun concept theme character and has to be a Scrapper.

Please stop telling me to be a Brute. I just want to know if Provoke is necessary for Scrappers with Burn. 

Thank you.

No it isn't.  If they are going to run, front load the damage with procs.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

31 minutes ago, Bojutsu said:

I just want to know if Provoke is necessary for Scrappers with Burn

I'm confused by the use of the word "necessary" in this context.  Of course it's not "necessary".  My charitable interpretation is that you're asking if provoke would get enemies to gather to maximize the damage of burn, in which case, it's a definite "maybe"...

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

I'm confused by the use of the word "necessary" in this context.  Of course it's not "necessary".  My charitable interpretation is that you're asking if provoke would get enemies to gather to maximize the damage of burn, in which case, it's a definite "maybe"...

Necessary to keep them from running out of the Burn patch. 

I may just test it out myself when I get to that point, and respec as necessary if needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Bojutsu said:

This is a just for fun concept theme character and has to be a Scrapper.

Please stop telling me to be a Brute. I just want to know if Provoke is necessary for Scrappers with Burn. 

Thank you.

While you can of course do whatever you would like with your character.

I am confused by this in a more general sense.  

Do characters actually know whether or not they are Brutes or Scrappers?  Seems a bit Meta.  I assumed that AT catagories were on the mechanics 4th wall side of the divide.   

Knockdown does a good job keeping stuff in the patch for more ticks, and if it's active knockdown you can also slot Force Feedback (FF) procs in them.

Provoke won't stop stuff from running out of the patch, it'll encourage mobs to run back into the patch after they run away, how much time do you want to waste waiting for that? Provoke also doesn't have any -range debuff so you might also just get mobs that run out and are perfectly happy shooting you. Slows are in the same boat, they are subject to the purple patch and you'd have to invest in slows heavily to see marginal difference especially vs higher con mobs. If you really want them to stay put, nothing short of holds/immobs will glue them on spot and scrapper don't have an abundance of mass immob/hold options, knockdown is much more available.

If you knock stuff down a few things happen: enemies can't attack you because they are too busy trying to get back up, they stay in the patch longer while trying to get back up, and  you can also have a chance to proc FF, making your burn recharge faster, see the synergy? There are primary sets that offer good synergy via knockdowns with fire armor. Stone, ice and electric melee come to mind with guaranteed knockdown/up powers.

Don't bother with provoke unless you want to dip deeper into that pool for fun shenanigans with invoke panic or even unrelenting and none of those powers have anything to do with keeping stuff in burn patches. The reason I'd take the presence pool for a fire armor scrapper would be for invoke panic first and foremost, as it has a wide radius, decent recharge, and is a good alpha breaker that gives you some breathing room. Unrelenting may give you a momentary boost to stay alive through the most challenging situations. 

Burn also does a lot of front loaded damage now so runners are less of an annoyance if you are just concerned about getting the most out of burn. And if you slot a few procs in burn you can one shot fodder on cast.

Also, DO NOT slot any of the KD procs in burn, it will cause knockback because the ticks stack up very quickly to stack KB mags which turns KD into KB.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

50 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Knockdown does a good job keeping stuff in the patch for more ticks, and if it's active knockdown you can also slot Force Feedback (FF) procs in them.

Provoke won't stop stuff from running out of the patch, it'll encourage mobs to run back into the patch after they run away, how much time do you want to waste waiting for that? Provoke also doesn't have any -range debuff so you might also just get mobs that run out and are perfectly happy shooting you. Slows are in the same boat, they are subject to the purple patch and you'd have to invest in slows heavily to see marginal difference especially vs higher con mobs. If you really want them to stay put, nothing short of holds/immobs will glue them on spot and scrapper don't have an abundance of mass immob/hold options, knockdown is much more available.

If you knock stuff down a few things happen: enemies can't attack you because they are too busy trying to get back up, they stay in the patch longer while trying to get back up, and  you can also have a chance to proc FF, making your burn recharge faster, see the synergy? There are primary sets that offer good synergy via knockdowns with fire armor. Stone, ice and electric melee come to mind with guaranteed knockdown/up powers.

Don't bother with provoke unless you want to dip deeper into that pool for fun shenanigans with invoke panic or even unrelenting and none of those powers have anything to do with keeping stuff in burn patches. The reason I'd take the presence pool for a fire armor scrapper would be for invoke panic first and foremost, as it has a wide radius, decent recharge, and is a good alpha breaker that gives you some breathing room. Unrelenting may give you a momentary boost to stay alive through the most challenging situations. 

Burn also does a lot of front loaded damage now so runners are less of an annoyance if you are just concerned about getting the most out of burn. And if you slot a few procs in burn you can one shot fodder on cast.

Also, DO NOT slot any of the KD procs in burn, it will cause knockback because the ticks stack up very quickly to stack KB mags which turns KD into KB.

Overwhelming works fine though, or did when I tested. Probably because it works on a different mechanic. Burn's frontloaded damage is 60% if I recall. It's still a lot to miss out when the mobs run out but whatever makes the OP happy since they seem to be aiming for maximum crit they can get instead of gameplay use for the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or just kill/arrest them befoe they run....  The one great thing about Fiery Aura for scrappers is slotting your Critical Stirkes Proce in Burn, pretty much a guarenteed proc, then try to find space for Fireball and use your best AOE/ST dpa attacks from your primary  to fit as many as you can in the crit proc window.   If you are teaming, it won't matter anyway, a tanker/brute/controller will likely be locking them down.   Better yet take Ice Melee for the best of all worlds. (Fiery Embrace, Build Up, Burn, Fireball, Freezing Touch, Frozen Aura).  If any boss/lt survives that, drop Ice patch to get them flopping.   My Ice/Fire/Fire scrapper is my first HC character and still my favorite.   

22 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Do characters actually know whether or not they are Brutes or Scrappers?  Seems a bit Meta.  I assumed that AT catagories were on the mechanics 4th wall side of the divide.   

This isn't why I insist on this character being a Scrapper. 

It's not because of a Scrapper character theme, and it's not me being "meta". 

It has to do with the damage potential of a Scrapper.

It's funny how many people come here not to provide an answer to my question, but to question my question and why I asked it. 

Edited by Bojutsu

58 minutes ago, Bojutsu said:

This isn't why I insist on this character being a Scrapper. 

It's not because of a Scrapper character theme, and it's not me being "meta". 

It has to do with the damage potential of a Scrapper.

It's funny how many people come here not to provide an answer to my question, but to question my question and why I asked it. 

I was asking in a more general sense.  Since its pretty common for people to say they have to be X AT for "concept reasons";  As I said you can do what you want.  

As to this point you have suggested now, damage potential, that is why they suggested Brute.  Since your Firey Armor damage abilities will be more effective on a Brute.  Since the damage is DOT based, and Fury effects DOTs.  If this was a Bio or Shield question in the Brute subsection, the comments would be the opposite.  Since the Scrappers higher scale would benefit from the +DMG of those two Powersets. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, Haijinx said:

While you can of course do whatever you would like with your character.

I am confused by this in a more general sense.  

I never think of the characters as thinking they're the AT.  That has always been a game mechanic 4th wall aspect to me.

• Thanks 1