New Presence Pool power - Taunt Aura

Uun

This is the product of a discussion in the Scrapper forum regarding secondaries lacking taunt auras and how they might be added on a selective basis without changes to the defense sets. Seems like it would be relatively simple to create a new power in the Presence Pool that was a PBAoE toggle that did nothing but a mag 3 taunt. Endurance cost could comparable to Tough and Weave. I see no reason why it would need to be restricted to scrappers.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

It was my understanding that the team doesnt want scrappers to have a taunt aura.  Those powersets that already have one might not keep it forever and that no new scrapper secondaries  would get one.  It might have been a discord discussion but if i find a post ill link it.

Edit:  i dont say all this to be for or against it,  but to show it may need to be very compelling in order to convince the team.

Edited by TheZag

37 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

what power in presence would be lost to accommodate this new power?

Is there a limit of 5? 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

13 minutes ago, TheZag said:

It was my understanding that the team doesnt want scrappers to have a taunt aura.  Those powersets that already have one might not keep it forever and that no new scrapper secondaries  would get one.  It might have been a discord discussion but if i find a post ill link it.

I remember this discussion, but don't have a link. This wouldn't add a taunt aura to scrapper secondaries, but would allow anyone who wanted a taunt aura to add one as a pool power. Provoke (ranged AoE mag 4 taunt) is already available.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Uun said:

Is there a limit of 5? 

The origin pools have 6 but one of them is from the double on the travel power.  But it displays as 6 seperate powers ingame so i assume its supported.

26 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Edit:  i dont say all this to be for or against it,  but to show it may need to be very compelling in order to convince the team.

If it’s a taunt that doesn’t pull away from brutes/tanks, I don’t see an issue

@TheZag I believe this is what you were referring to

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Uun said:

@TheZag I believe this is what you were referring to

That looks like the one.  Also,  having to go 3 powers deep into an underutilized pool might be all the more compel thats needed.

Edited by TheZag

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

The team needs to reconsider their opinion on this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Since we've migrated over here:

Is there a way to split the difference by creating an IO enhancement that has an aoe taunt component while the power it is slotted in is active?  Like stealth IOs in sprint.

This way:

-No powersets get altered.  Devs win.

-People who don't have a taunt aura and don't want one don't have it forced on them.  Nays win.

-People who want this can now have it.  Yays win.

-People don't have to invest in another power pool and 1-3 powers to get it.  Everyone wins.

It worked with kb to kd.  Why not here?

18 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Since we've migrated over here:

Is there a way to split the difference by creating an IO enhancement that has an aoe taunt component while the power it is slotted in is active?  Like stealth IOs in sprint.

It is technically possible, yes.  I very much doubt that they would make it.

Basically, I think that the difference of opinion here is between "people who think that a taunt aura is the natural right of every character who wants it/thinks that it's a quality-of-life thing that just makes the game fun" and "people who think that taunt auras are a powerful ability that you should have to pay a significant opportunity cost to get."

People who are concerned that taunt auras are already too accessible to scrappers are not going to want to make the "cost" of a taunt aura be only one slot.

2 hours ago, Uun said:

I remember this discussion, but don't have a link. This wouldn't add a taunt aura to scrapper secondaries, but would allow anyone who wanted a taunt aura to add one as a pool power. Provoke (ranged AoE mag 4 taunt) is already available.

Use melee hybrid

Guardian survivor

46 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

I dunno.  Stealth makes a lot of missions pretty easy and they handed that out.  Is only tankers getting taunt auras that different from only stalkers should be able to stealth missions?

The thing is, stealth is universally useful.  Enemies already notice you and attack by default, so you don't need a power to make them do that.  The presence pool also already includes an AoE taunt.  I could see them adding a melee AoE damage IO set that includes either a proc or a constant effect that causes said melee AoE to also apply a taunt, since that's fitting with the specific focus of existing IO sets...

3 hours ago, Aracknight said:

I dunno.  Stealth makes a lot of missions pretty easy and they handed that out.  Is only tankers getting taunt auras that different from only stalkers should be able to stealth missions?

I'm deeply uninterested in arguing it with you, I'm just saying that those are the stakes at play here.  People who feel that taunt auras are already overly accessible to scrappers are not likely to want to give everyone a taunt aura at the cost of just one slot.

3 hours ago, Aracknight said:

Scrappers, Controllers, and I think Blasters were stealthing missions long before Stalkers were ever a thing. (And the missions could be completed without having to clear the room/area at the time too.) So your comparison fails.

16 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Scrappers, Controllers, and I think Blasters were stealthing missions long before Stalkers were ever a thing. (And the missions could be completed without having to clear the room/area at the time too.) So your comparison fails.

Agreed.  SS + stealth was a pretty popular combo before there were any Stalkers...

Hells, before IOs ever existed, /dark scrappers and I can't remember what secondary for controllers would just walk through and complete missions with just their secondaries for stealth. So asking if or saying stalkers should be the only ones able to stealth missions is laughable.

1 hour ago, SwitchFade said:

I'm eternally baffled by the extreme aversion to hitting W

I mean, moving is so terrible that every toon needs the option of an aura to avoid asdw at all costs?

I'm eternally baffled by those that think the taunt aura discussion has anything to do with laziness.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

The team needs to reconsider their opinion on this topic.

UnFuck Flee Code First. 

There are far too many folks reporting that it is not only vastly different than Live, but became much, much worse sometime between early 2020 (when I joined, and I have noticed the same change in mob behavior that others are reporting) and now.

Then we can reconsider the discussion regarding scrappers.

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.