Focused Feedback: Sister Valeria Story Arc

On 7/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, Burnt Umber said:
  • In the second mission, there are a bit too many elite bosses.  They didn't add challenge, and, as a poster above mentioned, they made that mission a bit of a slog.  The minotaurs and cyclopes could be their boss versions.

I haven't had a chance to test it myself, but this does concern me.  Now that these monsters have been upgraded to the Incarnate versions, it means the final mission in the original Cimeroran arc is already rather un-fun, and that's just at boss level.  I hope this new arc isn't even more unpleasant.  I've noticed a trend here on Homecoming where all the new content seems to be particularly difficult even at base level.  It would be nice if super-difficult were an option rather than the baseline.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Cinnder said:

I haven't had a chance to test it myself, but this does concern me.  Now that these monsters have been upgraded to the Incarnate versions, it means the final mission in the original Cimeroran arc is already rather un-fun, and that's just at boss level.  I hope this new arc isn't even more unpleasant.  I've noticed a trend here on Homecoming where all the new content seems to be particularly difficult even at base level.  It would be nice if super-difficult were an option rather than the baseline.

I sort of agree with you:  not to be too much of a downer, but I think the "Elite Boss" status mobs have become a bit too frequent with the recent homecoming content.  Here, I feel like what would have normally been bosses were bumped up to EBs in an attempt to generate challenge.  Instead, I feel like it creates more of a time sink while sort of watering down the significance of facing an EB (narratively, at least).  Changing the minotaurs and cyclopes to be their boss versions would, I think, alleviate most of the problem.

It's worth noting that the EBs in the mission cited don't get thrown en masse at you, so you can pull one or two from range to fight. Also, I've noticed that, if you turn off bosses/EBs in the difficulty settings, it downgrades the minotaurs and cyclopes in the original Cimeroran incarnate arc to lieutenants.  I think that might help to get rid of the more "un-fun" bits.  And, the story itself is pretty fun and solo-able overall.

• Like 1

Burnt Umber I think you have hit the nail on the head for me: I'm far more interested in good story with some challenge than in raid-like challenge in everything.

P.S. Also loved your point about the dilution of the significance of EBs.

Edited by Cinnder
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't taken a run at this  but it's good to have repeatable content. I think it is tough to add materials and this is why I will always continue to push for my AE project to add regular content.

I have always wondered why ancient warriors are some of the toughest enemies in the game. It seems a bit off to me lol

Anyway, thanks Devs for all your hard work.

1 hour ago, BurtHutt said:

I have always wondered why ancient warriors are some of the toughest enemies in the game. It seems a bit off to me lol

Heh, good point!  Makes me think of Malta also -- in modern times the toughest enemies are just some regular humans with weapons?

6 hours ago, Cinnder said:

Heh, good point!  Makes me think of Malta also -- in modern times the toughest enemies are just some regular humans with weapons?

Well, it's not like they are armed with specific anti-super-power weapons or anything... Oh, right.

1 hour ago, arthurh35353 said:

Well, it's not like they are armed with specific anti-super-power weapons or anything... Oh, right.

Aside from the sappers it's all just firearms and stun weapons.  Compared to aliens, wizards, animated earth creatures, etc you'd think they'd be second or third tier rather than first.

15 hours ago, Cinnder said:

Aside from the sappers it's all just firearms and stun weapons.  Compared to aliens, wizards, animated earth creatures, etc you'd think they'd be second or third tier rather than first.

The Hercules, Zeus and Kronos titans are still there.

Loved the design of the caverns and the general rocky aesthetic /rock placement rather than just open space. And that's saying something as my main is tall and doesn't like banging their head constantly on the ceiling 😁

I did have one thing to note:

On the final mission an NPC was able to evade my AOE... turns out the character was underneath me ([474.4 -107.1 3271.7]).

Since I was smaller than normal I was able to fit into the space and defeat the villain. Just letting you know in case you need to address any geometry/pathing issues there. Normally I wouldn't have been able to get into that space 🙂

Thank you for your efforts!

2022-08-01.png

• Confused 1

--------------------

Reunion: Proximus, Aristomachus, Temporal, Vanadium, Visceral, tenet, Resolve

Formerly of Guardian and Pinnacle

• Developer
10 hours ago, Temporal said:

Loved the design of the caverns and the general rocky aesthetic /rock placement rather than just open space. And that's saying something as my main is tall and doesn't like banging their head constantly on the ceiling 😁

I did have one thing to note:

On the final mission an NPC was able to evade my AOE... turns out the character was underneath me ([474.4 -107.1 3271.7]).

Since I was smaller than normal I was able to fit into the space and defeat the villain. Just letting you know in case you need to address any geometry/pathing issues there. Normally I wouldn't have been able to get into that space 🙂

Thank you for your efforts!

2022-08-01.png

I'll look into this as time permits.

• Like 1

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

Tried this just now (sorry for the late input), on a fully incarnated Night Widow with perma-Mind Link the difficulty is pretty much "lol."  I also habitually take Mask Presence and Smoke Grenade (mostly for role play reasons) and they make it trivial to walk up to a Surgeon and one-shot him before anyone knows what's going.  So far the writing and story are nice though.

More to follow, though I realize it's late in the test cycle...

Edited by gameboy1234