Focused Feedback: Sheathed Weapon System

Had a quick play with this on Brainstorm. I notice that while I draw my weapon with the normal animation, it just teleports back to my back when I'm done using it. I wonder if it's feasible to play the drawing animation in reverse?

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

While I am a little bit sad that ranged weapons will come later, I am glad it will come later, and I love this feature one way or another!

It might not be feasible for this update, but I want to mention it anyways.  I would love if there was an option to sheathe weapons to the hip as an alternative to sheathing to the back as well.  If it is not, that's totally okay though, I am very happy this feature was added and I'm excited to see it in game!  Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, Cobalt Arachne said:

Shields is on my radar, but is more complex than every other weapon set because it puts the player on a totally different sequencer and alt animation sets, I'm planning to take a crack at it, but it'll be after all the other weapon sets get sheathed support.

As someone who loves a shield toon, this is great to hear. Best of luck regardless of the outcome. 

Enjoying the changes so far.

Tried everything on female characters.

Some weapons have different sheathed and unsheathed models.

ezgif-1-cd684750a3.gif

Also when you select between sheathing or not, it seems like it treats weapon selections as two completely separate things. Not sure if intended.

ezgif-1-eb03a11ea2.gif

And some sheathe placements need some work as well I think.
20220716015840_1.jpg

Edited by Gen.Alexander
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/15/2022 at 7:23 AM, thunderforce said:

Had a quick play with this on Brainstorm. I notice that while I draw my weapon with the normal animation, it just teleports back to my back when I'm done using it.

I noticed this as well.  I have also seen it teleport into the hand, then disappearing, the reappearing in the draw animation.  This was on Katana and Titan Weapons.  I have not see this on Broadsword or Dual Blades.  I have not tested Staff yet.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, The Curator said:

• Sheathed weapons are dynamically drawn by the player's character when combat is initiated (if using a 'No Redraw' power customization option, this is skipped).

SheathedWeaponHit.gif.0648fe6f795627919691b10067683034.gif

Look at that! Holy crap.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:23 AM, thunderforce said:

Had a quick play with this on Brainstorm. I notice that while I draw my weapon with the normal animation, it just teleports back to my back when I'm done using it. I wonder if it's feasible to play the drawing animation in reverse?

Apparently they couldn't get a good looking animation to do so. You can't just reverse the "draw " animation, it ends up looking janky. Or something like that, I forget how Cobalt explained it.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Ethereal Star said:

It might not be feasible for this update, but I want to mention it anyways.  I would love if there was an option to sheathe weapons to the hip as an alternative to sheathing to the back as well.  If it is not, that's totally okay though, I am very happy this feature was added and I'm excited to see it in game!  Thank you!

I second this, and would like to see the option to draw the katana from the back, instead of the hip.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Ethereal Star said:

While I am a little bit sad that ranged weapons will come later, I am glad it will come later, and I love this feature one way or another!

I suspect the underlying tech to do this (the ability to have multiple alternate animations for drawing a weapon in a particular powerset) doesn't exist in the game at this point, so it's probably something that would have to happen in a future update, but I'd also like to see options like this.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:44 PM, Stormwalker said:

I suspect the underlying tech to do this (the ability to have multiple alternate animations for drawing a weapon in a particular powerset) doesn't exist in the game at this point, so it's probably something that would have to happen in a future update, but I'd also like to see options like this.

Same here.  All of my weapons users also fly and have wings, so only the katana really looks good for me.  I'd really only expect to see two-handed weapons on the back, and everything else I'd have thought would default to the hip anyway.  There's something terribly silly about carrying my daggers on my back.

Axes in particular look really painful clipping right through the wings.

Edited by Gorgar
Edit: but the katana looks so good on the hip that I now have a kat/da brute. Great job on that!
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, Gen.Alexander said:

Tried everything on female characters.

ezgif-1-cd684750a3.gif

Also when you select between sheathing or not, it seems like it treats weapon selections as two completely separate things. Not sure if intended.

ezgif-1-eb03a11ea2.gif

And some sheathe placements need some work as well I think.
20220716015840_1.jpg

I have a character that looks a bit like that. I call him... Cloud Strife! 

On 7/20/2022 at 11:20 PM, Stormwalker said:

It's beautiful, isn't it?

Yes! They one shotted that goon! Oh the animation is okay, too, I guess. 😉

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• Developer
On 7/16/2022 at 6:02 AM, Gen.Alexander said:

Was that one Vahzilok weapon in the GIF the only one you noted that needed fixing? If not, please list any more you noticed with weapon name and body type.

Thanks! 🙂

On 7/16/2022 at 6:02 AM, Gen.Alexander said:

WAI because they are actually completely separate menu categories sharing a mutually exclusive costume slot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

For female characters, 'Fantasy blade' model for Katana/Ninja blade powersets is held upside-down after being drawn from sheathed. Looked fine on other blade-wielding powersets and on other body types, and I didn't see any other weapons that did this either but I'll also admit I wasn't super thorough checking them.
This:
City_of_Heroes_Screenshot_2022.07.29_-_1
Should look like this:
City_of_Heroes_Screenshot_2022.07.29_-_1
Excited for this to hit live though ❤️ Don't have many melee-weapon users personally, but it'll be nice for the ones I do have! And seeing other people's characters carrying weapons around will be fun too.

• Thumbs Up 1