Vidiotmaps for Homecoming

• City Council
13 hours ago, Exaltist Ethan said:

I should let you guys know that since the latest publish, with the changes they did with Atlas Park and AE, Vidiotmaps is now broken for Atlas Park. I went to other zones and saw the general map to make sure that the installation was working, and it was, and every other place I went to had current information. I did download the i24+ patch to the data folder. 

You shouldn't need an "i24 patch" you'll need to either install the .pigg file linked in the install instructions in the OP, or use the mod installer (also linked in the OP) to install the new version of the mod with the event maps included.  Make sure you remove all of the map files from your data directory (also outlined in the OP) when you use either of the install methods.

New versions of Vidiot Maps don't use loose files that go in the data directory anymore, but those will still override the maps installed via either of the above methods.

• Thanks 1

One very little itty bitty "bug" I've noticed.  VidiotMaps shows the "Adamastor Rising" zone event for Sharkhead Isle, (maybe Talos Island as well, haven't checked).  That is not the case on Homecoming since Adamastor was yoinked back to Echo: Dark Astoria in Issue 25.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Astralock said:

One very little itty bitty "bug" I've noticed.

Thanks for pointing it out. There are lots of little issues like that scattered all throughout the maps. I've got a list of the ones I've noticed and/or have been brought to my attention, and now Sharkhead Isle is on that list! It may be a while before I get to it, though. I know the Talos map doesn't have it though because I recently updated that map.

Please do keep pointing out issues, though, no matter how minor. Especially if it's on a map I've already updated. I do my best to QC them but I know I still miss stuff.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Atlarian said:

NM,  figured it out

I didn't see the unedited post so I am not sure what the issue was, but if you are so inclined do you mind posting (or editing into the post above) a brief synopsis of the issue you had and how you fixed it? It might help someone else down the road solve a similar issue. Thanks!

i guess if anyone else runs into this problem with junk on their mercy island map (and possibly others, most are unaffected).  I had previously renamed vidiotmaps folders to old maps, old p_maps and old v_maps but i left the GUI folder alone.  so i went and renamed the entire data > texture library to old texture library to see if it would fix the problem and it did.  it was just 2 files for badge textures in the gui folder and i dont know what they were for anyway but they were messing with the map and removing them fixed it.  

1065261134_buggedmap.png.35c6298eb92fe4951d53163f2302f014.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I didn't see the unedited post so I am not sure what the issue was, but if you are so inclined do you mind posting (or editing into the post above) a brief synopsis of the issue you had and how you fixed it? It might help someone else down the road solve a similar issue. Thanks!

Sure the issue was that that the base size of the maps in Nova Praetoria are so condensed that the mod was unusable without having to extend the maps.  unfortunately then the map box takes up most of the screen.

image.png.306cc1bb25c27575c79752180faa2ce9.png

On 4/15/2023 at 12:25 AM, Atlarian said:

the issue was that that the base size of the maps in Nova Praetoria are so condensed that the mod was unusable without having to extend the maps.

On the right hand side of the map window is a zoom slider that you can use to zoom into the map. That should make the map more readable without having to oversize your map window.

Edited by AboveTheChemist

On 4/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, TheZag said:

i guess if anyone else runs into this problem with junk on their mercy island map (and possibly others, most are unaffected).  I had previously renamed vidiotmaps folders to old maps, old p_maps and old v_maps but i left the GUI folder alone.  so i went and renamed the entire data > texture library to old texture library to see if it would fix the problem and it did.  it was just 2 files for badge textures in the gui folder and i dont know what they were for anyway but they were messing with the map and removing them fixed it.  

That is really strange. Those 2 badge texture files in the GUI folder are indeed unnecessary and can be removed (I cover them in the Outdated Files section of the top post) but I would not expect them to have any impact at all on the performance of any map files. If the maps are working fine now I suspect it was some other step you took in your troubleshooting of the issue that fixed it, and not anything related specifically to those two badge textures.

I'd ask if you were using an updated version of vidiotmaps, but I can tell from the screenshot that that is the updated Mercy Island map. The issue that I see in the screenshot looks exactly like an issue from a couple of years ago that I have since corrected (or thought I had). If you notice any other maps that have issues like that please let me know, because I am at a loss to explain this one.

If you don't mind posting your world texture quality setting (Options > Graphics and Audio tab > Advanced Graphics Settings section > World Texture Quality) that might be helpful. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

ok.  ive tracked it down to the presence of 'old V_MAPS' inside the texture library folder.  i renamed it to 'older V_MAPS' 'backup V_MAPS backup' and 'goober'.  that folder renamed to anything didnt make a difference as long as it was in the texture library folder.  ive obviously removed it now and thats why renaming the texture library folder fixed the problem earlier.

im pretty sure there was 1 other map that was affected but it wasnt covering any actual needed map graphic.  but seeing as it was essentially my running 2 map mods at once through the new and old version that caused the problem,  i would chalk it up to user error.  maybe just emphasize that the old folders cant be renamed and must be removed since its already in the instructions to remove them.  i usually rename folders to 'old' or 'backup' incase i need to revert and since it seemingly didnt mess up the maps i figured it was fine.  

edit:  World texture quality is set to very high if that still matters

Edited by TheZag
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to follow up, but thanks for the additional info. It makes more sense now. I actually wasn't aware that renaming the folders would still cause issues, but that makes sense given the info that is contained in the individual texture files. I've added a caveat in the top post that a simple rename won't work for removing the old installation.

Your world texture quality setting is interesting, too. Usually a 'very high' setting would not cause the bug I mentioned to appear, so there's more going on than I fully understand, for sure. At any rate, I am glad you got it all sorted and working correctly.

• 3 months later
2 hours ago, ebrown2112 said:

The Safeguard maps for Atlas Park and Founders Falls are bugged. Is there a way to fix them?

I see an issue with the Atlas one.  Founders, the map seems alright, but coming out of the Police Station dropped me under the city with /stuck not helping.  That has nothing to do with the map though.

I'll see what a clean install does with the vidiot maps

37 minutes ago, lemming said:

I see an issue with the Atlas one.  Founders, the map seems alright, but coming out of the Police Station dropped me under the city with /stuck not helping.  That has nothing to do with the map though.

I'll see what a clean install does with the vidiot maps

Last time I was in FF I fell under the city too, but I was also having map issues. I will try reinstalling vidiotmaps as well.

Falling through map geometry has nothing to do with vidiotmaps.

There is an issue with the minimap for the Founders safeguard mission that dates back to the live days, but that's not something that I can fix. It has to be fixed in the code itself, which is beyond my control. That particular issue appears regardless if one is using vidiotmaps. I think there is a similar issue with the Atlas safeguard map.

Some old links for further reading (and there may have been others generated since these were):

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6210-safeguard-mission-maps-out-of-kilter

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11484-safeguardmayhem-map-issues

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19115-ff-safeguard-exploration-badge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Hi!  My Vidiotmaps doesn't show the exploration badge on Statesman's shoulder in Kallisti Wharf.  Do I need to update or has this not yet been updated?  Thank you!

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

3 hours ago, Display Name said:

Do I need to update or has this not yet been updated?

The Kallisti map was updated with that badge over 2 years ago, so you'll likely need to update your installation. If your install is more than a year or so old, you will need to follow the instructions for removing/deleting old installations as well. The install process changed about a year ago and old installs will prevent new installs from appearing correctly. Instructions for everything I mentioned above can be found in the first two sections of the top post.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just did a fresh install of Homecoming and then tried to install vidiot through the Mod installer, now when I HC, I get the following error and HC won't start.

c:/Games/Homecoming/assets/mods/hc_vidiotmaps.pigg: Bad flag on file - not a Pig file-1

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again.

What this team needs is more Defenders

18 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

I just did a fresh install of Homecoming and then tried to install vidiot through the Mod installer, now when I HC, I get the following error and HC won't start.

Sounds like the download didn't quite work.  I did that recently and my file is 55390511 size.  Try removing the mod, run HC to be sure nothing else stops it, then try applying again

yeah, it's not downloading right for some reason... i just checked and it is showing 0 bytes size

I've done a couple of uninstall/reinstalls of vidiot.

*edit* i just did the manual install from the google drive link and that worked perfectly.

Edited by Psyonico
  • Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

• City Council
44 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

yeah, it's not downloading right for some reason... i just checked and it is showing 0 bytes size

I've done a couple of uninstall/reinstalls of vidiot.

*edit* i just did the manual install from the google drive link and that worked perfectly.

Have you tried any other mods via the mod installer? I just removed and reinstalled vidiots and it downloaded the full pigg correctly.   Could you open the mod installer, click Tools, then Upload Support Bundle and enter your forum name in the dialog?

NVM, I found the issue, working on a fix.

This is fixed.

Edited by Michiyo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

I'm in Night Ward playing a mish with the objective "Recover the Manual of the Dead."  Underneath it says "Retrieve Tremaine's Manual of the Dead."

I entered this mish through the green mansion (Midnighter Club) in the door under the stairs where you first enter.  In the mish, there's a badge in a circular room.  But the badge is UPSIDE down!?  There's no legend to tell me what the badge is...

Did I glitch the mod somehow?

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

On 9/15/2023 at 7:30 PM, Display Name said:

In the mish, there's a badge in a circular room.  But the badge is UPSIDE down!?

I realize I am way too late for this in this case, and this is directed to anyone reading the thread (not just the person quoted above), but it would be quite helpful if a tastefully cropped screenshot (or, barring that, a photo of your monitor) of the map issue you see in-game is included to help diagnose map issues.

That being said, from what I have seen the Midnighter club map is used somewhat frequently for missions, and as a result I often see the badge marker appear on mission maps when there is no actual badge there. It's not ideal but since those image resources are shared, I am not aware of a way to remove the marker from the mission maps without having the badge marker in the static version of the Midnighter club disappear as well. That's how I understand it, at least, as those map modifications predate my time working on vidiotmaps. I can't explain an upside-down marker, though, and that's why a screenshot would have been helpful.

In short, you didn't glitch the mod, it's just a quirk of that particular map resource.

• Like 1