give iTrial leader a tip upon completion

Gerswin

Putting together an iTrial team is time intensive and tedious, especially since the leader who spends 30 minutes forming gets the exact same rewards as the person who joins 5 seconds before queue.  

Put a box on the rewards screen upon trial completion that allows players to donate something small (Astral merit, 5 reward merits, etc) to the leader to thank them for their time. 

I don’t know what server you play on but on Excelsior it takes about 5 minutes. 10 minutes if you are trying to build a specific team balance.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

19 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Why do I see this opening up leaders abusing players for not paying them...

Meh.

If people are going to be jerks then they're going to be jerks. No excuse is needed.

In Guild Wars 2, commanders routinely ask for tips for certain speed runs. I've been on dozens of them. Not once has a commander ever been a jerk to someone if they didn't tip.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Yeah, I don't see them implementing a tip feature as described,  but it wouldn't be a bad thing if the system gave a special reward at the end.

Maybe it takes some people only 5 mins, but it takes me up to 10 mins on average in the evenings, then another few minutes on subsequent  runs

to replace the 8 to 10 people who always leave.

Of course, to make THAT work, they first need to fix the bug where the TF leader randomly loses the star on entry to the map.

While some Trials take longer to put together than others, I think we need to give League Leaders a little more credit than just gathering peeps for a league run. Trials require ample knowledge of the task, certain strategies that minimise casualties... or ensure badges... and a certain level of coordination with Team Leaders and delegation. Why don't we make it automatic that the overall League Leader gets a certain percentage more than the members? Doing so would incentivise others to rise up and be League Leaders themselves one day.

3 hours ago, Six-Six said:

While some Trials take longer to put together than others, I think we need to give League Leaders a little more credit than just gathering peeps for a league run. Trials require ample knowledge of the task, certain strategies that minimise casualties... or ensure badges... and a certain level of coordination with Team Leaders and delegation. Why don't we make it automatic that the overall League Leader gets a certain percentage more than the members? Doing so would incentivise others to rise up and be League Leaders themselves one day.

The issue is that sometimes the "leader" isn't necessarily the one with the star.  Voluntarily rewarding the person or people that step-up to facilitate things requires no new code or systems, and is already possible...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, biostem said:

Then we don't need to facilitate them.  If you want to give a tip to a raid leader, PM them and offer one...

So the Guild Wars 2 community can handle giving tips to the raid leader without becoming jerks, but the much vaunted City of Heroes "bestest community EVAR" can't?

Why are you on the forums? People could be jerks you know.

Why do you play an MMO? People could be jerks you know.

Why are you even on the internet at all? People on the internet could be jerks you know.

The mantra of "but people could be jerks" can be used against anything. If you're really worried about people being jerks do you ever leave your home? People outside your home could be jerks and we wouldn't want to facilitate that.   🤪

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

28 minutes ago, biostem said:

The issue is that sometimes the "leader" isn't necessarily the one with the star.  Voluntarily rewarding the person or people that step-up to facilitate things requires no new code or systems, and is already possible...

That's true.

In the Trials I've been on (in Reunion), the ones facilitating the entire mobilisation are almost always NOT the ones with the star--and in most cases it's a group of 4 or 5 rather than a single supreme commander. Rather, the "designated" leader seems to be under training from the shot-caller. But ya, good catch.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, Gerswin said:

Put a box on the rewards screen upon trial completion that allows players to donate something small (Astral merit, 5 reward merits, etc) to the leader to thank them for their time. 

There's a box in the lower left of the UI which allows you to type words in it, and it even displays what you type for other players to see.  "Thank you for your time", for example.  "Thanks for putting this together."  "We appreciate you doing this."

I'm old-fashioned, I believe in expressing gratitude by expressing gratitude.  Handing someone a gift card to convey appreciation seems hollow, insincere and materialistic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

41 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

So the Guild Wars 2 community can handle giving tips to the raid leader without becoming jerks, but the much vaunted City of Heroes "bestest community EVAR" can't?

Why are you on the forums? People could be jerks you know.

Why do you play an MMO? People could be jerks you know.

Why are you even on the internet at all? People on the internet could be jerks you know.

The mantra of "but people could be jerks" can be used against anything. If you're really worried about people being jerks do you ever leave your home? People outside your home could be jerks and we wouldn't want to facilitate that.

I'm not familiar with GW2, only really played the 1st one.  Regardless, you're reasoning sounds a lot like an appeal to popularity.  Either way, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from pm-ing the raid leader and thanking them or emailing them a reward, if you so wish...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I'm old-fashioned, I believe in expressing gratitude by expressing gratitude.  Handing someone a gift card to convey appreciation seems hollow, insincere and materialistic.

I agree. However, why can't you do both?

There's a reason why Grandma's birthday cards are the best! Because they don't just say "I love you" they also have money.

1 minute ago, biostem said:

I'm not familiar with GW2, only really played the 1st one.  Regardless, you're reasoning sounds a lot like an appeal to popularity.  Either way, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from pm-ing the raid leader and thanking them or emailing them a reward, if you so wish...

No, it's not an appeal to popularity. Mostly I was just being a jerk by pointing out that, while people constantly claim that the CoH community is the best, that's not always the case.

Sorry, I need more coffee.

And yes, you're right. There's nothing stopping @Gerswin from simply saying in Team Chat, "Welcome to the Team! I'll be accepting tips once we're done. Thanks!" And then also politely remind people at the end of the raid/task force/trial that he's accepting tips, which people can simply email to the raid leader. That's what people do in Guild Wars 2.

However, I think the OP wants the legitimacy of an actual UI element to bolster his confidence in asking for said tips in the first place. Personally I don't think this is necessary. Just tell people "Hi all! I run these trials/raids a lot, so I don't have time for much else. I hope you enjoy it. And, if you do, there's nothing wrong with right-clicking on me and sending me an email with a generous tip. Thanks!"

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

However, I think the OP wants the legitimacy of an actual UI element to bolster his confidence in asking for said tips in the first place. Personally I don't think this is necessary. Just tell people "Hi all! I run these trials/raids a lot, so I don't have time for much else. I hope you enjoy it. And, if you do, there's nothing wrong with right-clicking on me and sending me an email with a generous tip. Thanks!"

And my concern is it'll be turned into a shakedown mechanic.  If said raid leader is confident enough to assemble and lead the raid, then they can ask for tips themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There's a reason why Grandma's birthday cards are the best! Because they don't just say "I love you" they also have money.

Does your wife know you're five years old?

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Does your wife know you're five years old?

That's probably why I'm divorced.  😃

A much better system for the the @SeraphimKensaitax program. For each time you're rewarded either influence, or merit, etc. 1% gets redistributed to me.

Seems totally fair and good for the economy. 

Realistically you can send someone a tip via email if you feel inclined, but to make the system designed to reward the leader over the rabble, then we'll have all chiefs and no indians.

Here's an alternative idea:  When there's a raid, a special bonus is generated and put into a pool, (this would be a separate additional amount, so not pulling from anyone else's gains).  At the end of said raid, all participants can vote on who they thought was the MVP of that raid, and the top 3 people selected get a cut of that pool.  Who voted for whom would be kept secret, but the overall results can be displayed.

• Thumbs Up 1