UNfocused Feedback

Ironblade

On 10/7/2022 at 12:59 PM, Shadeknight said:

As pointed out before somewhere, the valid feedback they look for is from testers. Actual testers. Not people who grab a change from the Patch Notes and ride or die it until they've given devs a reason to not engage. If you cannot put the effort into testing because of limited space, that's...one thing I guess? However, if you willfully choose not to put minutes (or more) into testing out the changes and making clear feedback based on experience? Well, that isn't valid feedback - not in the sense that it gets anything major done.

Patch Note Reactors is what made the forums 10x worse during Page 4 and a shadow of it has reoccurred for Page 5. People need to realize that feedback NEEDS evidence in numbers and actual testing rather than "I don't like this." or "I feel like this is bad." because that tells the developers nothing. It makes sense that if your only feedback is from reading the patch notes? You're not actively aware of how it plays out or what it's done to the gameplay of whatever has been changed.

Experience speaks more than feelings in other words.

The only feedback they want is "power x needs to last 2.5 seconds longer" etc. any discussion over whether the change needs to be in that direction is hidden rather than taken into account. This is not a good system. The devs live in an echo chamber of the people on their private server.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Im gonna be honest: At this point it’s too late for a PR person.

I disagree.

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Whoever it is, they will be polarizing to another aspect of the community and then something something favoritism towards this or that subgroup. Trust me on this one, pulling from this limited pool of players will end horribly.

The key to making it work would be to pick someone who's well known for being critical of the devs, not someone who's seen as a "white knight for the developers."

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

5 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I disagree.

The key to making it work would be to pick someone who's well known for being critical of the devs, not someone who's seen as a "white knight for the developers."

Okay, okay.  I can read the room.  But, how much does it pay?

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 1

ufo-343x258.jpg?fit=343,258&ssl=1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

17 hours ago, Snarky said:

I’m on Excelsior. It looks to me way deader

Please forgive our undead friend. He has been out of the loop. He probably had no idea that there were, at one time, 4 instances of PI this Saturday, while there was an Trick or Treating going on in those zones, as well as in Kallisti Wharf and in RWZ. 

I can see from the lfg there are plenty of people doing different things on Excelsior. Blapperella is leading stuff through ouro, Oklahoman is still doing his thing on a newer alt called Okie. Bright Phoenix is still doing his Hami raids in the Abyss. 

And there are still several people on brainstorm tinkering around with the new sentinel stone proliferation and other things. I took my sentinel out yesterday on brainstorm to try out the increased damage. My problem was - that very Sentinel was my first 50. I looked at the build and realized that I've come a long way in making sturdy characters. That build was trash, lol.

On Everlasting, there were at least 20 people in Atlas with another 30 or so in PD. They were just standing around. There were a few folks in Kings Row, and they were doing ToT in PI as well. 

I think there may be some drop, but I don't think it's the drastic drop in population. But perception is reality. 

• Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, Ukase said:

But it IS broken. Didn't the 40 pages of the weeping and gnashing of teeth tell you anything? 

I'd just like to point out that after the changes that removed XP --> Inf, @Jimmy spent a lot of time in the thread about it, repeatedly explaining the devs thinking no only behind the changes that had been made, but also their policy towards farming, marketeering and the game economy in general, and that generated 80+ pages of wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I mean, personally I'd love to hear more about the devs plans and strategy because I'm sure it would be very interesting, but I'm pretty sure that it would do nothing to cut down the volume of angry posts.  Probably quite the reverse.

• Thumbs Up 6

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

I started hanging out in CoH again the last few days.  It is NIGHT and DAY different.  It is dead. D E A D.  Deadsville man, and that is sad.  

Comparing WoW to CoH isn't really fair.

WoW is still top five in terms of MMO population with many servers hitting tens of thousands of "active" players (whatever that means). Homecoming seems to have plateau'd a while ago at around 1k off-peak, 2k peak.

While it would be nice to see them regularly at the 2k point, the majority of CoH players are, I would suspect, nostalgia junkies. CoX was never one of the top games in terms of numbers when it was live, so I wouldn't expect it to see those numbers on a private server.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

3 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

I'd just like to point out that after the changes that removed XP --> Inf, @Jimmy spent a lot of time in the thread about it, repeatedly explaining the devs thinking no only behind the changes that had been made, but also their policy towards farming, marketeering and the game economy in general, and that generated 80+ pages of wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I mean, personally I'd love to hear more about the devs plans and strategy because I'm sure it would be very interesting, but I'm pretty sure that it would do nothing to cut down the volume of angry posts.  Probably quite the reverse.

And that would be more information. 
Sure - some of us might go off track. 
But the points to be made would be in there to absorb and discuss. 

Nobody said it would be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is. (so they say. I can think of a couple of dates that were exceptions to that rule) 

And what's wrong with angry posts? They're more fun than an MSR or a Hami Raid, for sure. As long as we can avoid labeling people, it should be fine. So what if someone attacks me or you? If their opinions had any validity, we wouldn't be arguing, right? (that's a joke) 

Sometimes, people need to vent. I can't tell you how many pages of ranting I've written out and deleted. And still a lot of that trash makes its way here. So what? 
Sometimes, feedback is that annoying pitching tone that comes out of the speakers. But you have to suffer through that sometimes to hear the music. 

43 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

Comparing WoW to CoH isn't really fair.

WoW is still top five in terms of MMO population with many servers hitting tens of thousands of "active" players (whatever that means). Homecoming seems to have plateau'd a while ago at around 1k off-peak, 2k peak.

While it would be nice to see them regularly at the 2k point, the majority of CoH players are, I would suspect, nostalgia junkies. CoX was never one of the top games in terms of numbers when it was live, so I wouldn't expect it to see those numbers on a private server.

I must have been fantastically unclear in my post on this. Or people speed read.  

I was not comparing WoW to CoH.  I was comparing CoH 2 months ago to CoH in the last week

Ukase says my perception could be the issue.  But it is my perception.  

on CoH, nothing to do with WoW except that is where I was.  This has nothing to do with WoW. Wow, stop it already.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I was comparing CoH 2 months ago to CoH in the last week

Ah, my mistake!

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

8 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Just want to point out...characterizing pages of discussion as "wailing and weeping" is just a cheap trick to try to make peoples discussion look petty and foolish. It is a bad debating technique and should be beneath us. It gets used way too much by many people.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

Sometimes, people need to vent. I can't tell you how many pages of ranting I've written out and deleted. And still a lot of that trash makes its way here. So what? 
Sometimes, feedback is that annoying pitching tone that comes out of the speakers. But you have to suffer through that sometimes to hear the music. 

sure, but some people are like a dog with a bone,

...still have that page long DM you wrote me after i dared disagree with your opinions on page 3 drop,

guess my point is, say your thing, that is of course your right, but do we really need 7-9 threads of "discussion"

many are just repeating themselves..

i've got a pretty good idea why you are so upset.

Edited by Songseven
  • Thumbs Down 2

50 minutes ago, Songseven said:

sure, but some people are like a dog with a bone,

...still have that page long DM you wrote me after i dared disagree with your opinions on page 3 drop,

guess my point is, say your thing, that is of course your right, but do we really need 7-9 threads of "discussion"

many are just repeating themselves..

i've got a pretty good idea why you are so upset.

If you do not want to discuss things do not do it.

If you do not want other people to discuss things you are advocating censorship, or self censorship.  That is the most polite way I can say that.  I literally had to use willpower to say it that nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

If you do not want to discuss things do not do it.

If you do not want other people to discuss things you are advocating censorship, or self censorship.  That is the most polite way I can say that.  I literally had to use willpower to say it that nice.

such a victim..

read my post again 'Snarky'

• Thumbs Down 2