Synergies with Earth Control?

Sulhythal

I know about /Storm, and that /Rad and /Kin goes with everything. 

Does Earth control have any other notable synergies with any of the other secondaries?  Or is it just such powerful control that the secondary really doesn't matter much?

Since Earth has rather low damage, I wouldn't say that /kin is really a good match for it. It works well with a number of secondaries. I just happened to love my Earth/storm on live enough to not pick anything outside of that if I ever rerolled it again.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Have you considered an Earth/Trick Arrow?  No, you won't be dealing damage at all, but you will be a CONTROLLER'S Controller.

Single-target Holds?  Two of 'em.

-Def and -Res?  You bet'cha.

AOE immobs, disorients, and sleeps?  Four!

A steady way to light your own Oil Slick Arrow?  YES!

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

In most gameplay, Earth works well with anything since it has such good control. I like /Rad also with it, since Earth has -ToHit from Earthquake... stack it with Radiation Infection for flooring just about every mob.

However, two interesting choices are Thermal and Cold. Either one of these will allow you, if you take the Pet Defense/Resist IOs, to have Stoney tank AVs. And since both of these have -Regen and -Resist, you can actually damage the AV solo. And you don't need to build an expensive character. Which makes this one of the cheapest AV-soloing characters out there, though not especially fast at it. And both builds would be excellent for teaming.

In most gameplay, Earth works well with anything since it has such good control. I like /Rad also with it, since Earth has -ToHit from Earthquake... stack it with Radiation Infection for flooring just about every mob.

However, two interesting choices are Thermal and Cold. Either one of these will allow you, if you take the Pet Defense/Resist IOs, to have Stoney tank AVs. And since both of these have -Regen and -Resist, you can actually damage the AV solo. And you don't need to build an expensive character. Which makes this one of the cheapest AV-soloing characters out there, though not especially fast at it. And both builds would be excellent for teaming.

funnily enough I woke up this morning with a concept for an Earth/cold.  Tundrawalker is level 19 or so far

Nature.

Perma Volcanic Gasses + Entangling Aura. Nothing more need be said.

If only there was a Low Visual FX option for some of the skills in Nature. Otherwise, it is a great combination! :)

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

I'm also voting for Earth/Nature. I had a Incarnated Earth/Rad on live, but do enjoy the Earth/Nature much more. Stoney is prettey much indestructible with Wild Growth, Wild Bastion and Livegiving Spore Patch. Plus he does more damage with Overgrowth.

I'm also voting for Earth/Nature. I had a Incarnated Earth/Rad on live, but do enjoy the Earth/Nature much more. Stoney is prettey much indestructible with Wild Growth, Wild Bastion and Livegiving Spore Patch. Plus he does more damage with Overgrowth.

Stoney also runs himself out of endurance a lot, and Lifegiving Spores helps with that quite a bit.

Stoney also runs himself out of endurance a lot, and Lifegiving Spores helps with that quite a bit.

Yeah, he is pretty unstoppable. One question: Is Lifegiving Spores also giving +end to one self? Because it doesn't show up on Combat Attributes and I cannot tell if I am getting +end too.

Yeah, he is pretty unstoppable. One question: Is Lifegiving Spores also giving +end to one self? Because it doesn't show up on Combat Attributes and I cannot tell if I am getting +end too.

It gives you endurance if you stand in it, yes.

Thanks, so if I slot 1 end red, 2 end mods (3 heals) it should give me more than it uses? How can I tell exactly?

Thanks, so if I slot 1 end red, 2 end mods (3 heals) it should give me more than it uses? How can I tell exactly?

It gives you as much as it uses with no enhancements at all, so yes.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned /Dark yet.  Stacking Howling Twilight with Stalagmites will let you stun bosses.  Earthquake and Darkest Night stack nicely for a lot of -to hit.  Quicksand and Tar Patch make a nice little patch of doom with -def and -res.

Of course, most anything pairs pretty well with Earth.

One set I've not seen mentioned here is  /thermal. That goes brilliantly with Earth, but a team build. Not great solo but it helps Rocky a lot with shields, has slows that stack and some good debuffs. It's a monster at controlling a room, while the rest of the team go kill/maim/disfigure

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

One set I've not seen mentioned here is  /thermal. That goes brilliantly with Earth, but a team build. Not great solo but it helps Rocky a lot with shields, has slows that stack and some good debuffs. It's a monster at controlling a room, while the rest of the team go kill/maim/disfigure

Err, Thermal has no slows...

• 2 weeks later

Anyone have a build to share for Earth/Nature?  I am...asking ....for a friend.  ...Yes that should work... 8)

I’m a big fan of pairing Earth with /sonic. The resist shields make the pet even more tanklike, and it is a useful anchor for disruption field,  helping out with the otherwise low damage. Liquify and Volcanic Gasses play well together too.

(But mainly that was paired for theme. My memory might be rosier than the present)

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Earth/Dark

Super strong CC, debuff , heals, soft cap def. Out of all builds this just feels right. It's not a great solo build but the amount of CC you can put out with 2 aoe stuns and a AOE pulsing  Hold is insane and thats not the even best part . Massive aoe debuffs -35 def and -res. Now for the  team aoe heal, shadow fall and fade will get 25+ Team def add power boost and it's closer to 35% Team def. Also soul asorb is just iceing  on the cake with +reg and recovery.

Earth/Dark is not the best  at dps by a long  shot but over excel everywhere else even tankyness. You will get alot of friend request.

Ps. Don't be that guy who spams aoe immobalise, tanks hate controllers like that. You have so many toys to start with hold the aoe imoblise till after the tank herds. Start with debuffs instead.

Im debating between the following builds based on this thread...

earth/dark

earth/storm

earth/nature

What would you recommend for most versatile end game usability.

Ill also be making a plant/storm or plant/nature for whichever powerset i dont use with earth. The earth troller would be more team oriented and the plant troller would be mainly teaming but ability to run my own missions. Im thinking earth/dark or nature and plant/storm would work well. I mainly played melee classes back on live so im trying something different :D

Thoughts?

Earth/Storm at the end game.

You don't need as much defense then, and Earth is a strong defensive control set anyhow, so going with /Dark is overkill on defense.

Meanwhile, Storm brings exactly what you need as a Controller in general, and in the end game in particular: more AoE damage.

Also, Earthquake + Freezing Rain = constant flopping for mobs. Thunderclap + Stalagmites = long-term Boss stun in an AoE.