"Icoulddobetteritis"

biostem

On 1/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, Greycat said:

I play on a server full of roleplayers who do things for character reasons, including diving headfirst into mobs you *know* are going to kill them.

So... no.

Hey, I literally have a character concept whose an immortal and has a fully slotted Rise of the Phoenix.  That's both concept AND functionality right there!  When Rise isn't up, I valuably contribute a body for Vengance buffs to the rest of the group.  Who needs Weave, Maneuvers or Armor?!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Do people routinely play bad even in harder content?

I mean, I get people playing drunk and stupid in radio missions, but how about Doctor Aeon?

Yes.  Not naming names, but I've been on hard mode ASFs with someone somewhat notorious for repeatedly going AFK without notice.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but nope.  He was repeatedly blown to smithereens by Golden Brickernauts after going AFK in the middle of combat, only to come back a few minutes later and wonder why he was dead.  Happened about a dozen times in one hard mode ASF.  Then there are, as I mentioned before, the absolutely terrible Tankers that play like more safe, crit-less Scrappers and like to Leeroy Jenkins it.  "This can't possibly kill me."  Then the Blasters without any IO enhancement sets that try to join.  I've seen one blame others for "letting him repeatedly die."

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

...join PUGs on a Tank. I don't have to worry about what the team is doing if I never needed them in the first place.

^---this.

But I PUG on other ATs, mostly when needing a TF or two.  Being a tanker at heart, all my toons are leveraged for as much survivability as possible, so even the support toons aren't really "squishy".

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

2 hours ago, Astralock said:

Then there are, as I mentioned before, the absolutely terrible Tankers that play like more safe, crit-less Scrappers and like to Leeroy Jenkins it.

That's how I stress test a build. 😉

I'm pretty sure I'm more a mid-skill tanker.  Annoy the mobs, bring them to me, occasionally throw a taunt at a group that seems after someone more squishy.

Several of my characters are perfectly fine leading a +4/x8 (though +3 if more under 50s than over) and most of the time I don't have to even touch the steering wheel.  If someone else is leading, I tend to follow the lead and/or tank.

And I definitely have different playstyles based on which character and that can swing fairly wildly even within an AT

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, biostem said:

Well, if you're mezzed and the team wipes because "Johnny Two Toes" couldn't be bothered to use [insert mez protection buff here] on anyone, then maybe chiming in could have been helpful.

Nah. Like I said, if things are running smoothly, who cares? If they aren't running smoothly, I'll look for a different team or just run solo. I'm not interested in trying to hold someone's hand when they aren't asking for it.

Edited by ForeverLaxx

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

7 hours ago, ZemX said:

If someone doesn't know and is unsecure about asking, you might actually help them.  If they don't want to hear it, they can say so and that's where you drop it.  You tried.

If they aren't asking, I'm not offering. I got sick of being "lectured" by people who thought they knew better way back in the day (generally they were the ones getting everyone killed). If someone is too afraid to ask for help, that's their problem. I'll find a new team if it becomes a problem or just run solo.

• Thumbs Up 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

8 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Part of being at that ceiling is understanding that you DON’T have all the answers and you sure as hell aren’t good enough to fully optimize someone else’s toon because of this thing called:

Different Playstyles.

Way to miss the point.  Saying something like "hey, if you cast clear mind on that other defender, they could've used their buffs/heals/debuffs to prevent that team wipe" is not nearly the same as "having all the answers", and ignoring powers you do have, (remember, we're not talking about builds here, we're talking about people not using powers they already have), is something that can be easily remedied.  Forgetting or neglecting to use powers that are already part of your build is not "a different playstyle".  Why do people keep commenting like this?  I am NOT talking about builds being bad or good.  I am talking about people not using stuff they already have at their disposal...

On 1/4/2023 at 6:25 AM, Shred Monkey said:

To me, teammates are people who occasionally share witty banter while we work though a mission.  I never ever think about what powers they're using or not using.  

If my teammates are entertaining and we all get along, I don't really care how long stuff takes or if we get the occasional near-wipe (or full wipe), as long as it's not obnoxiously long.

Last night I did a Synapse tf that ended up taking 2 hours. But everyone was chatting away, joking around, interjecting snippets of rp, and generally having a good time.  Didn't feel like 2 hours.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, biostem said:

I am NOT talking about builds being bad or good.

Yeah that's MY JOB!

The inner circles gives me powahs!

• Haha 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I'm not sure I can add a lot to this, but I'll give it a shot.

CoH is pretty loose on forcing roles on players; unlike, say, a classic trinity-MMO. For example, someone may be playing a tanker, but be a DPS build. Does every team need a tank? Probably not. They may even be on a tanker, playing a tanky/aggro build, but like using it to do DPS. The role they're playing is often "This is fun for me to play", and I may not like it, but they are not wrong and I keep my advice to myself unless asked. If the team is having difficulty with how a handful of random people playing the way they individually want to play, then maybe the difficulty could be turned down, or worst case, they could find other people to team with.

Now, for me, on many pugs, on my tankers which are built pretty tanky and for aggro and also for mobility, I herd. I see my job to be to herd as much on the team as fast as possible as the team can manage without too many deaths. I find this fun. Most people seem to like this when they are on the team with me, but on rare occasion I've also had people complain, in which case I'll slow the pace down. I've had other tanks complain, for that matter, though that's rare. Some folks expect/desire a plodding, one group at a time, don't let anyone take even a tiny bit of damage, clean up the spawn, and then move to the next group style; and they're not wrong, even I don't enjoy that. I'd rather be with the high speed cataclysm-in-motion.

I do sometimes feel judge-y about how other people are playing, but it's an emotional response and I try to have enough self awareness to temper it with reason.

1 hour ago, WumpusRat said:

If my teammates are entertaining and we all get along, I don't really care how long stuff takes or if we get the occasional near-wipe (or full wipe), as long as it's not obnoxiously long.

Last night I did a Synapse tf that ended up taking 2 hours. But everyone was chatting away, joking around, interjecting snippets of rp, and generally having a good time.  Didn't feel like 2 hours.

It would have felt like 2 hours to me.  I have a friend that plays drunk that could probably solo a Synapse +4/x8 in less time than that.

32 minutes ago, Snarky said:

It would have felt like 2 hours to me.  I have a friend that plays drunk that could probably solo a Synapse +4/x8 in less time than that.

I'd love to see a 20th level character who could solo Synapse at +4/8 in under 2 hours without burning tons of temp summons and millions of inf in setting up a specific build for it. Seriously. I'd be impressed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

I'd love to see a 20th level character who could solo Synapse at +4/8 in under 2 hours without burning tons of temp summons and millions of inf in setting up a specific build for it. Seriously. I'd be impressed.

I will talk to a couple of my friends who are more obsessed with such challenges and let you know what they say.   I’ m not doing it.  Obviously there will need to be some serious envenomed daggers and such on the AV

wait a minute….dont spend millions in inf?    Okay, now i think you are just doing hyperbole.  Yes, there will be inspirations used and a build…that costs more than a few hundred thousand. 

nevermind, i am not bothering my friends with a challenge that has ever shrinking restrictions…. But can you do it on SOs using 1 insp and no P2W?  Then you didnt do it in under two hours by the “right rules”.   Sheesh.   

You see, I was not being facetious, I am pretty sure one of my friends could do this, if they wanted to.   But, obviously scared my comment might be correct, you have started hauling out “your rules” for how it must be accomplished.  

The only rule I would agree to is the friend must be drinking.  Both the people i know who do this crazy smashing tend to play while imbibing 

• Thumbs Down 2

10 minutes ago, Snarky said:

wait a minute….dont spend millions in inf?

I think you didn't read the rest of that sentence.

"Millions of inf setting up a specific build for it." As in, not taking a 50th level character, respeccing them for 20th level play and 6-slotting every power usable at that level to load them out with every possible proc and other stuff. If it's a normal character (billion inf build or not) who's just exemplaring down to run it? More power to them. 

15 minutes ago, Snarky said:

But, obviously scared my comment might be correct, you have started hauling out “your rules” for how it must be accomplished.  

You seem very, very quick to imagine what other people are thinking. Especially when you misread what they said. 

27 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

I think you didn't read the rest of that sentence.

"Millions of inf setting up a specific build for it." As in, not taking a 50th level character, respeccing them for 20th level play and 6-slotting every power usable at that level to load them out with every possible proc and other stuff. If it's a normal character (billion inf build or not) who's just exemplaring down to run it? More power to them. 

You seem very, very quick to imagine what other people are thinking. Especially when you misread what they said. 

I saw something from a Cool player on here that said “always assume people are trying to be helpful”.  Nice thought, they did not live in my graveyard.  I run Redside. Because I just assume you are going to double cross me.  But you know that i know that, so you prepare for my response.  And try to backstab me while I deal with that.   

Look, I said I THINK I have a friend that could solo that at +4/x8, while drinking in under two hours.  I may be wrong.  

DID YOU HEAR ANY OTHER CONDITIONS???

• Thumbs Down 2

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I saw something from a Cool player on here that said “always assume people are trying to be helpful”.  Nice thought, they did not live in my graveyard.  I run Redside. Because I just assume you are going to double cross me.  But you know that i know that, so you prepare for my response.  And try to backstab me while I deal with that.   

Look, I said I THINK I have a friend that could solo that at +4/x8, while drinking in under two hours.  I may be wrong.  

DID YOU HEAR ANY OTHER CONDITIONS???

And, in response, I said if they could do that without custom-tailoring a build specifically for it and spending tens of millions on temp summons I'd be quite impressed.

That was it. Period. I was not challenging you or them to do it. I was making a simple statement: "Wow, that would be impressive if they could do that."

If they did it by doing all those things? Well, I'd be less impressed, since the more you weight things in your favor, the easier things become. Obviously.

But I'm done responding to you now. You're clearly getting agitated, and I'm not going to just go back and forth with you making accusations about what I am or am not thinking.

2 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

And, in response, I said if they could do that without custom-tailoring a build specifically for it and spending tens of millions on temp summons I'd be quite impressed.

That was it. Period. I was not challenging you or them to do it. I was making a simple statement: "Wow, that would be impressive if they could do that."

If they did it by doing all those things? Well, I'd be less impressed, since the more you weight things in your favor, the easier things become. Obviously.

But I'm done responding to you now. You're clearly getting agitated, and I'm not going to just go back and forth with you making accusations about what I am or am not thinking.

And if they could do it while dancing the mamushka even better

but i dont give a crap.  I will ask my friends what they think.   I may let you know what they say.  Probably not.     

• Thumbs Down 1

38 minutes ago, Songseven said:

little rude Snark.....what you talking about +4 Synapses for anyways, seems you can't even handle a +1🤣

Bit disingenuous Song, Snark never said he could solo Synapse. In your quoted topic he was speaking about group play, and in this one he said he has a friend who likely could. He never made the claim or insinuation that he personally could as you suggest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Don’t think I’ve ever looked to see what power choices my teammates have made.  

This thread isn't really about when things are going smoothly - it's when things get shaky or you start wiping, and maybe you look at your team composition, and start to think "y'know, if that emp, who has clear mind, had applied it to those blasters over there, they wouldn't have gotten mezzed, leading to said wipe", or maybe you noticed that a controller on your team isn't holding those really nasty enemies, but they aren't doing a lot of buffing, either, yet you notice that they *do* have the requisite powers.  You're welcome to ignore your teammates or simply not be aware of who's on your team - that's your prerogative, but what I'm saying/asking is why people don't leverage the abilities that they *do* have, and how to nudge them toward using them in a positive and constructive way...

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, biostem said:

I'll be on my tank, and wonder why the various buffers are ignoring me

This is interesting to me because on my Tanks I usually have to tell people not to Fort me or whatever. I'm already at the resist & Def caps. Nothing is going to kill me. Give it to the Blaster who can take advantage of the +Dam better.

Obviously in some content totally. Gotta keep the meatshield up in tough content. But I don't play the tough content on PuGs, it'll be an SG team and they'll know.

I used to play an empath on Live where i found the same issue. Tank is safe, I'll heal him as needed but I bet the Dominator would like Adrenal more and that Scrapper and Blaster can get more from Fort.

So I guess I agree with the OP, but for the opposite reason. "I could do better. Id use that buff on X rather than me as the Tank. I don't really need it at all"

Edit : If I'm on a Team as a Squishie fighting something like +4 Malta and keep getting mezzed then I'll just say something like "Bloody Malta. Hate mezzes" knowing one of my teamies has something to help. If they take the hint great. If not I'll probably just switch chars at the end of the mission to something able to handle it better (switch the Blaster to my Inv Stalker for example where I don't need to worry about Mez and can focus on brutally murdering the problematic individuals while the team AoEs the rest). 

Edited by Carnifax
  • Thumbs Up 4