About the forum and the community

Aeroprism

Hello beautiful people!

Came back to Homecoming a few weeks ago. You know what they say. Leave because you want to try other games, come back for the travel powers. As usual, I started posting here again. I have rarely seen such a welcoming and quality game community!

I noticed that the level of activity here seems somewhat lesser than it was some 15-18 months ago.  Is it my imagination? Are the forums still alive and kicking? Is it because we have a Homecoming Discord now? (Do we even have one?)

Or are you all just preparing a secret welcome back party for me in which all my forum questions will be answered all at once?

Awww guys... you shouldn't have!  I'm embarrassed! *Kicks a capo in the knees*

Hoping this place is still thriving! I don't want another sunset, nooooooo thanks!

Keep being heroic! (Or villainous, whichever floats your SOs.)

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Welcome back!

Homecoming has had a Discord server since it launched, so that’s not why.

Homecoming as a whole has lost a lot of players over the past two years for various reasons, so the game, forums, and Discord server are not nearly as active as they were in 2019 and 2020.  It just is what is.  But Homecoming is still here, and I don’t see it going anywhere.

Personally, I have mostly moved to other City of Heroes servers, but I still play on Homecoming on occasion.

9 minutes ago, Astralock said:

Welcome back!

Homecoming has had a Discord server since it launched, so that’s not why.

Homecoming as a whole has lost a lot of players over the past two years for various reasons, so the game, forums, and Discord server are not nearly as active as they were in 2019 and 2020.  It just is what is.  But Homecoming is still here, and I don’t see it going anywhere.

Personally, I have mostly moved to other City of Heroes servers, but I still play on Homecoming on occasion.

i think i saw some player stat numbers recently and the population over the last 18-24 months has remained surprisingly level

2 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i think i saw some player stat numbers recently and the population over the last 18-24 months has remained surprisingly level

I can kinda-sorta vouch for that.  Ever since I came back, I never had to look for more than a few seconds to find a good team.  Excelsior is quite lively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lines said:

Get ready with the balloons and confetti.

No balloons here but I brought the knockback!

Because you can't spell "party" without KB!

@Aeroprism, few games are currently matching their 2020 numbers. Covid was hard on the world but great if you were an MMO! Just means we could all spend a few moments here and there reminding people that CoH is back, large as life and twice as ug... entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Thank you for your answer.  

Other CoH servers? I thought Homecoming was pretty much the best and most genuine experience available.

That’s a matter of perspective.

45 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

There was a big drop off in late 2020 through early 2021, and it’s been very gradually going down since.

11 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

I noticed that the level of activity here seems somewhat lesser than it was some 15-18 months ago.

I mean, the world's been opening back up, slowly but surely.  I'm sure there's also a degree of people cycling out or otherwise taking a break.  I love CoH, but once you've maxed out your incarnates on your current favorite character, I at least tend to take a break to avoid total burnout.  Regardless, welcome back!

There is often/usually something of a post-holiday drop I think too, but it's mostly temporary.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

I see several people making light of my comment but none coming up with explanations or reasons.

People can disagree with you and there's nothing wrong with that.  There's things this server does ok, there's things other servers do way, way, way better.  Maybe if you looked into what other servers are doing and have to offer, you could have an opinion on the topic, just like others have. 

23 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

You know what they say...

Yup.  Yours stinks too. 😉

• Thumbs Down 4

57 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

I see several people making light of my comment but none coming up with explanations or reasons.

You know what they say...

There’s been so many explanations no one wants to waste their time giving another when the search bar exist.

I’ll give ya a place to start though: Page 5 Focused Feedback threads. That should give you an idea why folks laugh at the idea of “best and genuine” community.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

33 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

People can disagree with you and there's nothing wrong with that.  There's things this server does ok, there's things other servers do way, way, way better.  Maybe if you looked into what other servers are doing and have to offer, you could have an opinion on the topic, just like others have. 

Yup.  Yours stinks too. 😉

Debates are healthy and fine, they make us discover new perspectives, so long as we're opened to see what the other side has to say.

Even though I have no intention of leaving Homecoming, I am absolutely not closed to the idea that there might be different and better servers out there but flat out laughing at people who disagree with you gives them pretty poor promotion.

The point here isn't about agreeing or disagreeing.  There's still no argument to challenge my original statement, therefore there is no debate.

All there is is my statement, and people posting memes that indicate that they don't agree with it and laugh at it.  There is still no reason for me to want to lean your way. "Go ahead and check it out for yourself" is not an argument. 

Yup.  Yours stinks too. 😉

Well, what I had in mind was "Put your Inf where your mouth is" but hey, whatever floats. 😛

16 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

There’s been so many explanations no one wants to waste their time giving another when the search bar exist.

I’ll give ya a place to start though: Page 5 Focused Feedback threads. That should give you an idea why folks laugh at the idea of “best and genuine” community.

All right search bar, let's do this.  "People laugh at me when I like this server, why?"

On a more serious note, thanks for the pointer. I'll check that page 5.

6 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Well that would give Aeroprism reason to cringe certainly, but not for the lack of a best and genuine community.

More like people behaving inappropriately and not providing the measured and repeatable testing requested by the Homecoming team, or just outright telling the developers they should quit because they don't agree with a change made. Would it surprise anyone to know that one developer took a hiatus from this game after that toxicity?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

11 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Well that would give Aeroprism reason to cringe certainly, but not for the lack of a best and genuine community.

More like people behaving inappropriately and not providing the measured and repeatable testing requested by the Homecoming team, or just outright telling the developers they should quit because they don't agree with a change made. Would it surprise anyone to know that one developer took a hiatus from this game after that toxicity?

So I just did a bit of reading.  Cringe indeed.

I don't know if the situation changed since this place opened but from what I know, this place is still managed by a very small, very dedicated team of people who do this for free, just because they believe in their product and their passion.

Whenever I tell someone about this game, I always get the same question. "Wasn't this game closed for good a few years back?"  To which I answer "Yes, it was, but these Homecoming guys gave it back to us, they improve it, they diligently create new and interesting content and they do it at their own pace because it's a small team."

Most people don't even bat an eye and go back to the latest WOW expansion because CoX is a pretty niche experience, but I did manage to get 3-4 people to come back here, try it and stay for a while. 

But hey. We get this chance to play the game we loved for free by people who work their asses off, yet there are people who go pitchfork and torch over a change they didn't like.  This is why I'll never work on a project like this, my skin isn't thick enough. In the 20+ years I published video game remixed music, I was fortunate enough never to get that sort of flak.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

So I just did a bit of reading.  Cringe indeed.

I don't know if the situation changed since this place opened but from what I know, this place is still managed by a very small, very dedicated team of people who do this for free, just because they believe in their product and their passion.

Whenever I tell someone about this game, I always get the same question. "Wasn't this game closed for good a few years back?"  To which I answer "Yes, it was, but these Homecoming guys gave it back to us, they improve it, they diligently create new and interesting content and they do it at their own pace because it's a small team."

Most people don't even bat an eye and go back to the latest WOW expansion because CoX is a pretty niche experience, but I did manage to get 3-4 people to come back here, try it and stay for a while. 

But hey. We get this chance to play the game we loved for free by people who work their asses off, yet there are people who go pitchfork and torch over a change they didn't like.  This is why I'll never work on a project like this, my skin isn't thick enough. In the 20+ years I published video game remixed music, I was fortunate enough never to get that sort of flak.

I agree with everything you said!

Now, pardon me.  I am filing my pitchfork.  We are planning another run at the castle because they nerfed Brutes and buffed Tanks.

• Haha 2