That set you want to play but can't seem to get around to it...

Sir Myshkin

What is it?

I seem to always have one or two singular sets in mind that spend forever on the pre-drawing board. Not even the concept board but the "I really do want to play this, but I just don't know what to pair it with, or what to make the character around it, or if now is a good time, or I have all these other things I'm still working on... oh look this other idea came up and that's really cool I gotta do that first, and I'll just think about this one later... "

*SIX MONTHS LATER*

So yeah, I have wanted to get a War Mace character off the ground for like 18 months plus now, I've put builds together, I've toyed with some concepts, but I just never seem to be able to commit the character to creation before I end up stealing either their paired set, or their concept into another build! Character concept alone I've stolen three! Build pairings two! And it's rough because I've already got a pretty stable and complete collection that I don't like doubling up on power sets which makes it harder to more I do that 😅

My most recent build I had lined up was Shield/Mace as a Tanker, I was sold and just waiting for a concept to hit me, then today some discussions about Kinetic Melee were brought up and I was thinking about that pairing with Shield and a character came to mind and now I'm so sold on it that I'm pulling Shield away and doing KM again for the first time since the shut down and I realized "Dangit, I'm doing it again."

Got me curious what's everyone else's one set, for whichever AT, they want to play but never seem to get off the ground?

• Like 4

For me it's Plant Control. I've loved it and wanted to make something that used it since it debuted alongside dominators all the way back in issue, what, 4 or so? I've tried seven or eight times but never made it past level 20. Not for any specific reason, it's not that I dislike playing it, I always just... finish up for the day and then never come back to it.

I think a big part of the problem is that I've never really been able to make something with it that grabbed me on a conceptual level. It's always been, "I want to make a plant controller, so I'll make one" and never "I have this great costume/name/idea that I'm really excited about, and Plant Control is the powerset that works best for it so that's what I'm going with."

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Like 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant

Drop Dead Gorgeous Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden

Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Doctor Roswell (Psychic Blast/Atomic Manipulation blaster, 16 August 2024)

Mace is a heck of a lot of fun, don't wait!

For me, sort of, it'd a Kin anything, I've started like 3 on HC, of diff ATs too, and never gotten terribly far with any them; I did have one back on Live that went to 50, but that was more through cussedness than anything else and I can't say I had a lot of fun with him. 

I think it feels like I'm playing a toon with only one power set and the Kin set is like "just some buttons to click for no real reason" which make no visible difference.  Sure sure, I know the math behind them makes the team godly, but it doesn't feel like I've really done anything, leaving me at just "time to click some more of my Dual Pistols I guess" or something.  And that's OK, not all sets and meant for everyone.

Or maybe I just haven't hit on one with the "wow factor" that I need to inspire me to take them further.

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Time.

whenever I team with a time toon they usually blow me away. When I play it? It’s like I’m trying to play pool with spaghetti. I run out of end, I do no damage, I die, it’s quite slow… I don’t understand it! But my god do I keep making builds that look good on paper in mids.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

Scrappers. Every time I go to make one, I end up going for either a tanker or brute. I *know* the numbers, the majesty of the AT procs. I love perusing the forums. Alas, I just can’t land on a pairing that I need to keep. I white-knuckled one to 50 (which I rarely play), despite a lovely costume and bio. I think it has something to do with the sound of  the vowel in the word, “scrapper”. 

Also with @Clave Dark 5 on kins. Love ‘em on a team. Can’t seem to actually make one I ever want to keep. In fact, I have the same issue with /thermal. WTF?!? It’s like a mental block. Maybe all this indicates I need to reassess my meds…

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

For me it was always MM's until Homecoming I never got one past 40 before giving up on it. I'm not sure why I didn't really like them, mechanically I understood them just find and am reasonably skilled making complex binds so controlling them was fine as well. Perhaps it was simply my perception of how they played at the time.

It took until Homecoming launching for me to make an MM up to level 50. Now I have around 10 lvl 50 MM's, and I have no qualms about playing them. Perhaps I had to grow as a person over time to really get them.

Otherwise for powerset at combos that I want to try: a Fire Armor/Staff tank built (not for farming mind you but for actual content), an energy/radiation blaster I have an interesting concept for a character for that one,  and a /stone armor sentinel that I haven't decided on the primary as of yet.

It's hard enough though to juggle the toons I do have with my limited playtime though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anything that isn't my Savage/Radiation Brute. 

I love the idea of having a swath of cool characters to play at any given moment.  Lots of diverse costumes, backgrounds and playstyles.

But I never stick with *any* of them.  And I'm not entirely sure why.  If nothing else I'd at least like a Sentinel, Mastermind and Peacebringer since I always keep tabs on their balance patch notes.  I like all the ATs in theory except for VEATs that aren't Crab Spiders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Controllers.

All of them.

They do get off to a slow, slow start.

• Like 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

19 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I admit, way back when I first started playing I seen Controllers that had Control and Support.  I said to myself "No damage?  Like, at all?  How does that even work!?!"

Turns out, it works damn well, but they are usually late bloomers and need good slotting to really clean house.  Some Controls being more damaging than others.

• Like 2

Arcane Bolt makes a world of difference for low level controllers.  Or the toxic attack from Experimentation that has a 4 second recharge.  But you can only get one.

My main on live for a long time was an invuln/mace tanker.  But now the big thing for tankers is aoe and maces does not get aoe in the levels that I play.  So I want to recreate my tanker but haven't.

• Like 1

1. Battle Axe.  I love the KD crunchiness, and the revamped Battle Axe is a thing of beauty... but I keep making alts, not finding a happy pairing, and leaving it behind.
  2. Master Minds. Tried a bunch of combos. I got furthest with a Beasts/Savage, then realized I only liked Savage and rolled it as Scrappers, Brutes and Tanks. Savage/Bio is a hoot! Got a Beasts/Kin to 50 by pure gumption because I had a fun concept, but got burned out when I realized I was basically a Kin defender who's constantly re-summing idiot pets that die before they defeat anything.

Luckily there's plenty of other alts!

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

They do, and the crazy thing is I have two that I just tried so hard to struggle through mid-levels with them but lost patience with both and ended up farming them to 50.

Now I play them even less! 

The only troller I actually enjoy playing is a Dark/Kin that I specifically only roll out for low level redside rp teams, and I'm terrified if I level her the character will lose the basic charm and I'll abandon her too. 😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:51 PM, Mjolnerd said:

I think a big part of the problem is that I've never really been able to make something with it that grabbed me on a conceptual level. It's always been, "I want to make a plant controller, so I'll make one" and never "I have this great costume/name/idea that I'm really excited about, and Plant Control is the powerset that works best for it so that's what I'm going with."

I was just like you, once. I too was a little baby who couldn't touch grass. I was suffering from GAMERITIS! It was horrible.

But. You know who helped me out?

400px-Obj_avatar.jpg.58eb4dbc85f3429d2b8d4060259c2a78.jpg

This ol handsome guy right here. HE believed in me, when nobody else would. Now look at me!

screenshot_230129-23-23-01.thumb.jpg.ee053080d68d7d07b13cac3aaeada689.jpg

Nowadays, I'm a real fungi.

22 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

For me, sort of, it'd a Kin anything... I think it feels like I'm playing a toon with only one power set and the Kin set is like "just some buttons to click for no real reason" which make no visible difference.  Sure sure, I know the math behind them makes the team godly, but it doesn't feel like I've really done anything, leaving me at just "time to click some more of my Dual Pistols I guess" or something.  And that's OK, not all sets and meant for everyone.

Or maybe I just haven't hit on one with the "wow factor" that I need to inspire me to take them further.

Have you considered making Kin you're MAIN power?

314057525_Screenshot(1171).png.329fd915d4a1f7cad2d14182f464e46c.png

This is my Kin/Sonic defender, and quite honestly, I do more work with Kinetics than I do Sonic. SONIC ends up being there as a debuff tool more than an offensive set, with MOST of my damage coming from Syphon speed having that Imeded Swiftness damage proc (you could slap an Ice Mistral's in there too, if you wanted) and it becomes a very reliable mainstay attack power. You could slap the "Chance for Disorient" from Energy Manipulator into Transferance and turn it into a passable stun.

I would also reccomend maybe playing Kin less as a "support" set to help your team, and maybe, more like a set to help yourself? I know it may seem odd, but, after the nerf to Sonic Blast's -res came out this toon became... functionally fucking terrible. Like, I don't think I *have* a more useless character. It hurts, but, it gave me a love for Kin that I took to an Ice/Kin controller, which I *HIGHLY* reccomend. You can give yourself a couple of proc'd out AoE damage fields, you have TONS of movement and -rech control, as well as normal controls! It might not help solve your "im only playing one set" view, but, it might help it become a set that feels so complimentary TO your main set that you recognize what it does for you, and how it helps you and engages you in how natural it feels to play alongside the set youre using.

20 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Controllers.

All of them.

Even.... THIS ONE?!

xbox-720-controller.jpg.6dd6d616abbe30b7e1afd934a1a7e315.jpg

16 hours ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Scrappers. Every time I go to make one, I end up going for either a tanker or brute. I *know* the numbers, the majesty of the AT procs. I love perusing the forums. Alas, I just can’t land on a pairing that I need to keep. I white-knuckled one to 50 (which I rarely play), despite a lovely costume and bio. I think it has something to do with the sound of  the vowel in the word, “scrapper”. 

Can't spell "scrapper" without "crap".

I was the same way though. Scrappers are strange creatures. I can highly reccomend Katana/Bio Armor though. Bio armor on a scrapper was an awakening I had while playing a Katana/Bio scrapper and loved every juicy minute of. The only reason I don't play her more is because she's a metal gear rising reference, and there was a very not nice person who ALSO was running around being very ugly to other people and it's been hard to shake the association despite us not interacting much at all.

15 hours ago, dangeraaron10 said:

I like all the ATs in theory except for VEATs that aren't Crab Spiders.

16 hours ago, dangeraaron10 said:

Except for VEATs that AREN'T Crab Spiders.

12 hours ago, ninja surprise said:
  1. Battle Axe.  I love the KD crunchiness, and the revamped Battle Axe is a thing of beauty... but I keep making alts, not finding a happy pairing, and leaving it behind.

I'm in the same boat. Axe got a revamp, Im told it hits as hard as Titan Weapons USED to hit before THAT rework took away how hard they hit. I've never played any version of TW that wasnt the current one, so, I wouldnt know? But apparently Battle Axe slaps now. It's just uhh... well?

I mean, I already play minecraft...

336667807_Screenshot(1172).png.ded720172da6b0320ac1fba4df1f93ae.png

On 1/28/2023 at 9:26 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

Got me curious what's everyone else's one set, for whichever AT, they want to play but never seem to get off the ground?

P E A C E B R I N G E R S

I can't for the life of me play these guys past 30. I really WANT to! I think like, I ADORE their VFX, I love the idea of getting flight for free, I love the variety of powers they have, and I have a couple of PBs that are SUCH fun characters... except in the gameplay department.

Because uhhh... I dunno what it is but my PBs miss literally 80% of the time or more. I don't hit ANYTHING if I don't use the build up power, and then MAYBE one guy will get hit. Maybe. Not only that, but I get to attack maybe 3 times every 10 minutes with how much Endurance they seem to suck through. They get to around 30, which for me is the point where a character is either dying more so often they're simply unfun to play anymore and the only solution would be to juice them up with IOs I can't afford, or, they're just not fun to play. Peace Bringers for me tick both boxes. So, I just retire the gameplay aspect of their character, which inevitably leads to me neglecting the character for forever and ever (forever).

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

@Redletter have you tried PB’s since the power order changes? Light form at 32 helps a bit. I’d persevere if you can. I felt EXACTLY the same on live about PBs and now mine is my main. IOs and binds really make the difference.

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

On 1/29/2023 at 12:26 AM, Sir Myshkin said:

My most recent build I had lined up was Shield/Mace as a Tanker, I was sold and just waiting for a concept to hit me

This is a side-note to the thread, but I have a Mace/Shield Brute with the concept of "A valkyrie takes a vacation".  She's armed with a pipe wrench and a manhole cover, and even though Mace seems slow to me, she's been a blast to play.  However, I was lucky concept-wise; I was driving home late at night and a classic rock song basically shoved the idea in my head.

That said, a fun concept doesn't necessarily help a powerset "stick."  I don't know how many false starts I've made with Dual Pistols, and at this point I've just kind of given up.  Back on live, I had a Pistols / Energy Manip blaster, which seemed to work - until I realized that blapping with EM was a lot more fun than Pistol dancing.  I've tried a few other combos since HC launched, but aside from the damage issue, I realized I just don't like the weapon customizations all that much.  My live character used Sidereal Sidearm, which fit nicely with the character's concept, but since then I find myself settling for the plain old boring default Semi-Auto.  Everything else is just too improbable, too unwieldy, too retro, or too difficult (or impossible) to color.

Other sets I'd like to play but don't:  Devices, Traps, Broadsword, Dual Blades, Katana, and most "elemental" sets (though I recently started a Fire/Fire Tank.

Things I am not likely to play, and probably will not feel like I'm missing out on: Anything Mastermind, any of the "epic" ATs, and finally, I doubt I'll ever play Dominators or Defenders again (they keep getting re-rolled as Controllers or Corruptors, respectively).

• Like 2

I suppose AR Devices.  I have played it.  But never for long.  Never done what I always thought I should with it….solo Redside.  

I heard back on live about the strategies of building traps and forts and just screwing with mobs through pulls into death traps.  

Someday I will get around to it I suppose 

1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

That said, a fun concept doesn't necessarily help a powerset "stick."

I can definitely appreciate this. I have a character concept I yanked from the past into Homecoming when it started and rerolled him because I felt I never had a chance to really try and play his set effectively and wanted another go at it, but it still never really stuck for me and a lot of what was putting the whole thing together was the concept. A Dual/Cold Corr Anne Rice over Van Helsing Vampire where I felt the nature of his affliction could explain the movements and attitude of the gun styles.

Instead I let it sit for a long time after it was 50 and not until recently did I roll Dual Pistols as a Blaster (DP/Nin) as a Force User (Jedi-adjacent) where I could toy back and forth between DP and a "Lightsaber" and found it much more enjoyable. The Cold side of the coin ended up in my Mercs/Cold MM after the MM revamp where it too also finds itself greatly more appreciated.

22 hours ago, Redletter said:

P E A C E B R I N G E R S

Sadly I just find Peacebringers broken by the fact that they are offered so many powers and options and cannot truly take advantage of everything they can do, and I find it so unfair. They need more slots, like... A LOT more slots to really take advantage of what they could bring to the table and be more enjoyable for everyone instead of those few who manage to do bind-breaking tricks with macros and form swaps to really take advantage of Kheldian abilities across forms.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I heard back on live about the strategies of building traps and forts and just screwing with mobs through pulls into death traps.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried a pairing of AR and Traps before on a Corr or Def? It would have a similar (but more advanced) play style.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, Snarky said:

I suppose AR Devices.  I have played it.  But never for long.  Never done what I always thought I should with it….solo Redside.  

Someday I will get around to it I suppose 

I like /Traps, which is the version classes with the horrible, terrible, miserable misfortune of NOT being born a blaster get instead of devices. Theyre all very fun, and my Beam/Devices blaster, while i play her not as regularly as I should, is also really fun.

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

On 1/30/2023 at 9:10 PM, TheOtherTed said:

However, I was lucky concept-wise; I was driving home late at night and a classic rock song basically shoved the idea in my head.

I gotta know - what was the song?!?

Every character I end up leveling ends up having a theme song (usually something that helps me keep track of the ‘tempo’ of the game play for that combination along with theme).

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

2 hours ago, Nyghtmaire said:

I gotta know - what was the song?!?

"Bang a Gong" by T Rex.  The particular line where I got the idea was "You're built like a car, you've got a hubcap diamond star halo."  I instantly though of a "biker angel" character, but changed it to a "biker Valkyrie."  Kept the wings, though.  Still a bit miffed that we can't use a hubcap as a shield...

Edited by TheOtherTed
Yeah I said "miffed." What of it?
  • Like 1