quit another task force....

Snarky

So on my new 50 i still need some Task Force badges.  Because in the end this new toon is a badger.  

One of the ones I need is a Manticore.  So, I see a PUG ad.  I join.  I notice 37s everywhere.  Now, I like experience, everyone does.  But Paragon Protectors are a lot easier to cut through the closer they are to your level.  or they MOG.  

We are five mobs in when I confirm the pattern. 

I send a question in team "Are we running at +1"

Leader "Yeah"

Me "Was that in the ad?"

Leader "Never said it was speed"

Now see.  To me there are various conversations that could have happened here.  But that particular response can (to me) be boiled down to "My team, my rules, I own you for the rest of this task force."  

It was at this moment when... charlie knew he messed up - That's My ...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

3 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I assume a TF will not be speed unless it is advertised as such.  But sadly I do expect they will be at +0 and be ridiculously easy unless advertised differently.

Yep.  I never play at +0 whether speed run, steamroll, or kill all because it's extremely boring.  It's why I don't join anyone else's TF/SF/Trial unless he or she specifically advertises a difficulty setting greater than +0.  Whenever I form a TF/SF/Trial, I always advertise quite clearly the difficulty, whether it be +1, +2, +3, or +4.  Sadly, I've had too many people join, and even though we're steamrolling without any struggle, quickly insist in the first or second mission in that the difficulty be lowered to +0 because "all I care about is the badge/reward merits."  I advise the person that he or she joined the wrong TF/SF/Trial then, and continue on without lowering the difficulty.  Sure enough, the person will quit.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

But sadly I do expect they will be at +0 and be ridiculously easy unless advertised differently.

It all goes back to communication - are they running the TF for the merits?  For a badge?  As progress toward an accolade?  For the XP?  To get WST credit?  If they don't say, and you don't ask, it's not entirely on the fault of the one advertising said TF/SF...

Edited by biostem
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Astralock said:

Yep.  I never play at +0 whether speed run, steamroll, or kill all because it's extremely boring.  It's why I don't join anyone else's TF/SF/Trial unless he or she specifically advertises a difficulty setting greater than +0.  Whenever I form a TF/SF/Trial, I always advertise quite clearly the difficulty, whether it be +1, +2, +3, or +4.  Sadly, I've had too many people join, and even though we're steamrolling without any struggle, quickly insist in the first or second mission in that the difficulty be lowered to +0 because "all I care about is the badge/reward merits."  I advise the person that he or she joined the wrong TF/SF/Trial then, and continue on without lowering the difficulty.  Sure enough, the person will quit.

and that is fair.  because you communicate.

i joined a +4 itf kill all after.  finished the 2nd half of my lore/destiny and nearly opened hybrid.  great team

• Thumbs Up 1

It should be common practice to advertise the difficulty level and whether it's a speed, kill most, kill all, etc whenever anyone forms a TF.

I typically run casual speed TFs at +0 so incarnate xp is gained for those that need it since -1 doesn't award incarnate xp. For premade speed TFs to minimize time I'll do -1, otherwise if we want a challenge+4.

Otherwise I occasionally recruit for hard mode stuff when I have time to actually play.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Thumbs Up 3

I kinda feel like there are baseline expectations for any team, and exceptions to those expectations need to be clearly stated. "Speed" (or any other special circumstance -- enemy levels, Master badge runs, etc) shouldn't just be assumed, on either side. Communication really isn't that hard.

If you're forming a speed TF, say so. If you don't, then don't act all surprised when people show up expecting a non-speed one.

If you're only interested in a TF if it's a speed one, say so. If you don't, then don't act all surprised when you join one and find out it's not.

• Thanks 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

6 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

I kinda feel like there are baseline expectations for any team, and exceptions to those expectations need to be clearly stated. "Speed" (or any other special circumstance -- enemy levels, Master badge runs, etc) shouldn't just be assumed, on either side. Communication really isn't that hard.

If you're forming a speed TF, say so. If you don't, then don't act all surprised when people show up expecting a non-speed one.

If you're only interested in a TF if it's a speed one, say so. If you don't, then don't act all surprised when you join one and find out it's not.

well Manticore is not a "speed" TF.  As i stated, there are a lot of kill alls with Paragon Protectors.  Whatever the team is gaining in experience for +w/e it is losing in kill time and mogs.  in my opinion.  you want rewards?  run a +4 kill all itf like i did after i quit this hostage situation.  

• Thumbs Down 2

Regardless, it sounds like "run the task force" was the only expectation communicated by any party until after it had already begun. Anything else is just one person or the other making assumptions and then getting salty about those assumptions not being accommodated.

• Thumbs Up 2

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

10 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Regardless, it sounds like "run the task force" was the only expectation communicated by any party until after it had already begun. Anything else is just one person or the other making assumptions and then getting salty about those assumptions not being accommodated.

It is polite to mention if you altering the difficulty when advertising a TF.   When i join a PUG TF that is advertised as a Manticore, or Synapse, or Posi I do assume it is +0.  I will run that.  If it starts and then I am given the data it is +1 or + 4 that is a bit of poor communication In my opinion.  But no worries.  I get the chance to share some information, what might seem a surprise as well.  In that we have a dialogue, an interesting interaction, a discussion.   I quit.  It is in this give and take of information that we all grow.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

If I join a task force without knowing if it's speed or kill all/most and what level it's being run at, then I consider it my fault for joining without knowing.  If I happen to care what's being run (usually not in my case) then I ask before joining.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i ran a PuG mish team the other day and good lord was it good. every player was playing at their best and it was a dream

This is my experience.  I always run PuGs.  I don't remember ever having a bad PuG.  Granted I generally bring a really, really, strong blaster to a PuG myself, so I might be a major contributor to the success of the PuGs, but still. 

Unless a person is the type that thinks 30 minutes for a Tin Mage/Apex is slow because a good team can do it in 20-24, then I could see how PuGs are a problem for them.  Personally, I find ultra-fast speed runs annoying and uninteresting.  I'd much rather clear a map of difficult enemies then run through it.  I build my toons to fight, not run away... so ultra fast speed runs through equal level enemies feel like I'm not doing enough to have fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

I do assume it is +0

Not defending the person who set up the TF, but you making assumptions about the setup is a you problem.  Yeah, maybe they could've advertised it better but you also could've and should have asked before joining the team to find out what kind of run it was.  Just ditching everyone else on the team is bad form. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Not defending the person who set up the TF, but you making assumptions about the setup is a you problem.  Yeah, maybe they could've advertised it better but you also could've and should have asked before joining the team to find out what kind of run it was.  Just ditching everyone else on the team is bad form. 

And as Dog Graves jokingly pointed out I never said I was staying for the entire run.  The team assumed it. No one asked

We all talk in short hand in the channels.  Running X TF is short hand for X TF at +O.  You do not have to like that.  You do not have to understand that.  That is the convention.  

I am not going to hand out a questionnaire everytime I join a PUG.  Is it +0, +1, +2…. Are you recruiting 8 before we start? Are we speeding where we can?   I join a PUG and roll with it.  Unless it is not as advertised.  Not listing the +1 is default to +0.  Again, does not matter if anyone knows this.  Game has been around a couple weeks.  That is the nomenclature.   So I did not sign up for a +mystery and I am not running a +mystery.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

And as Dog Graves jokingly pointed out I never said I was staying for the entire run.  The team assumed it. No one asked

We all talk in short hand in the channels.  Running X TF is short hand for X TF at +O.  You do not have to like that.  You do not have to understand that.  That is the convention.  

I am not going to hand out a questionnaire everytime I join a PUG.  Is it +0, +1, +2…. Are you recruiting 8 before we start? Are we speeding where we can?   I join a PUG and roll with it.  Unless it is not as advertised.  Not listing the +1 is default to +0.  Again, does not matter if anyone knows this.  Game has been around a couple weeks.  That is the nomenclature.   So I did not sign up for a +mystery and I am not running a +mystery.  

Right so it's always everyone else who's at fault and never you.  🤣  And who exactly is "we" in this case?  What about all of these mythical new players who aren't familiar with your approved version of "shorthand chat"?  People aren't mind readers.  Like I said, that person could've communicated better about how they were rolling but you also could've asked.  Instead you just chose to leave the rest of the team hanging because 7 other people didn't want to play your way.  That's not cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

20 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Right so it's always everyone else who's at fault and never you. 

Nope.  I am wrong a lot.   But if people are too stupid and/or ignorant to understand I am okay with that too.  I can solo or go team with other people.  Like the team I joined afterwards, an advertised +4 ITF kill all.  Fast and efficient 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

well Manticore is not a "speed" TF.  As i stated, there are a lot of kill alls with Paragon Protectors.  Whatever the team is gaining in experience for +w/e it is losing in kill time and mogs.  in my opinion.  you want rewards?  run a +4 kill all itf like i did after i quit this hostage situation.  

In a sense, you're right on that.

However, looking at most of the mishs, a lot scream "Speed me". That is to say a lot of them are just defeat boss X or grab glowie Y.

Now, I'm not saying that's the only way, just...I wouldn't be surprised if it's sped. I wouldn't waste my time killing all unless I was in a particularly good mood, given that it really is just smack up a buncha crey for an hr. I mean, could be Citadel or Synapse, but still.

Or, being honest, I don't waste time with these TFs when Invader is so much faster/better to get. Teams can be...interesting on Excel.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|