quit another task force....

Snarky

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

It is polite to mention if you altering the difficulty when advertising a TF.

Depending on the perspective. I mean, while yeah this is nice to do, it's a cultural dissonance thing possibly?

I wouldn't assume everyone shares the same view of "polite", Snarky. Remember, different strokes for different folks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

20 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Teams can be...interesting on Excel.

This is exactly why I love the carnage of Excel. There is two particular accounts, I won't name them but I've never seen them on the forums, who to their credit do a lot of team running and forming. But they INSIST on taking the alpha regardless of their sets/AT/level. Feel free to take the alpha on your empathy defender my friend, I get a veng boost.

• Haha 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

Snarky ill be on tonight sometime around 8-9is est if you want to run a manti on ive got pcs who can run it on Torch Ever Indom and excel let me know and ill run you one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I like to usually set expectations before starting the TF.  For the most part unless I say +X, it's a +0, and will note speed, though like with Manticorp, it depends on the team setup.

I've bumped difficulty up or down depending on first missions too on some TFs.

When joining, I like knowing what to expect, though sometimes depends on what I'm playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

When i join a PUG TF that is advertised as a Manticore, or Synapse, or Posi I do assume it is +0.

Running at +0 is too boring except when you're really low level.

I run Positron and Synapse at +0.  Penny Yin and onward, I run at +1 so we don't fall asleep.  I do not communicate this because most task forces at +1 are EASY MODE.  To me, +0 and +1 are default settings.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Nope.  I am wrong a lot.

That's true.  You're wrong on this topic for sure since you're partly to blame for your own predicament.  You (not the team leader) made an assumption on what other people think, how other players communicate and you got burned for not taking the time to chat.  You didn't take a few seconds before starting the TF to communicate with your fellow team members, ask questions or let others know what you were after.  That's 100% on you.

This isn't excusing the team leader at all.  Of course they could've communicated better too.  Communication goes both ways though.  Since your thread title is "Quit Another TF", sounds like you've had issues joining teams before and maybe you need to ask yourself what you can do better to communicate what you're after to other people.  Maybe that'll help make your experience more enjoyable for you and you'll abandon less teams. 

17 hours ago, biostem said:

It all goes back to communication - are they running the TF for the merits?  For a badge?  As progress toward an accolade?  For the XP?  To get WST credit?  If they don't say, and you don't ask, it's not entirely on the fault of the one advertising said TF/SF...

^ Spot on.

Edited by Excraft
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Running at +0 is too boring except when you're really low level.

I run Positron and Synapse at +0.  Penny Yin and onward, I run at +1 so we don't fall asleep.  I do not communicate this because most task forces at +1 are EASY MODE.  To me, +0 and +1 are default settings.

Ironblade I enjoy your company but that would grind my gears lol

3 hours ago, Excraft said:

That's true.  You're wrong on this topic for sure since you're partly to blame for your own predicament.  You (not the team leader) made an assumption on what other people think, how other players communicate and you got burned for not taking the time to chat.  You didn't take a few seconds before starting the TF to communicate with your fellow team members, ask questions or let others know what you were after.  That's 100% on you.

This isn't excusing the team leader at all.  Of course they could've communicated better too.  Communication goes both ways though.  Since your thread title is "Quit Another TF", sounds like you've had issues joining teams before and maybe you need to ask yourself what you can do better to communicate what you're after to other people.  Maybe that'll help make your experience more enjoyable for you and you'll abandon less teams. 

^ Spot on.

Well I may be partly to blame for not doing an in depth interview of the person settings things up

Thankfully I found an easy button solution! (You can just quit these things….👍)

• Thumbs Down 3

See, now you’re just looking for reasons to quit TFs so you can come on here and thump your chest.

Advertising a TF does not mean it’s set to +0, just like it does not mean it’s a speed run.  You should have asked the leader before it started.  
You didn’t.  Why?  Because then you couldn’t come on here and brag about quitting another TF.

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

New players to HC: +1 is a perfectly reasonable setting.

Please do not be deterred from using settings that may run the risk of possibly creating a situation in which a monster fights back in some small way.

And don't be afraid to filter cretins and miscreants with the /ignore command either, today's ridiculous tantrum can end up preventing tomorrows joyless carry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

See, now you’re just looking for reasons to quit TFs so you can come on here and thump your chest.

Advertising a TF does not mean it’s set to +0, just like it does not mean it’s a speed run.  You should have asked the leader before it started.  
You didn’t.  Why?  Because then you couldn’t come on here and brag about quitting another TF.

they're so adorable when they are trying to be formula tv show detectives.

I honestly do not need any reason to start a post here.  seriously.  I have two threads going about spam.  one was not enough.

advertising something without stating it is altered does indeed imply it is unaltered.  for instance if you bought coffee and discovered it had something in it, that you did not request, that would be unexpected.  the implication, with no communication, is that it is black coffee.  

as has been joked about upthread there is no reason to believe someone will stay the entire task force.  it is implied.  we expect it in CoH.  but no one asked me if i would.  according to your logic the leader should have.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

As similar issues appear to have happened to you multiple times, I'd say purely from a practical, time-savings aspect, maybe it's best to reply to action invites with something like "I'll join if it's +0" rather than just "Sure I'll join".

That said, you're free to waste your (and others) time any way you like. It's a game, after all... we're not here to earn efficiency ratings.

There's a saying, normally it's used in reference to customer service but I think it applies here too:

If you have a bad experience everywhere you go, the common thread in all those experiences is you.

• Thanks 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

16 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

When did "+0 if not stated" become a thing?

I don't think it is a thing. Sometimes leaders don't know what level/difficulty they're going to set the TF at until they see who they've got -- levels, ATs, Incarnate stuff, do we have a healer, do we have a tank, buffs, debuffs, controls, what's damage output likely to be. Lots to consider. Sometimes they even like to ask the team to provide their own input.

Like I said upthread, broad expectations i.e, "will this be a speed run or a normal one?" should probably be in the LFG post (and "normal" should be assumed unless the post says otherwise, because that's why we have words like "normal" in the first place), but expecting everyone who forms a TF to determine and declare all the minutiae ahead of time is just being obstinate. And acting like that's what people are arguing for is also a classic strawman.

Ultimately, if you've got deal-breakers and they didn't mention them one way or another, it's up to you to ask about them. Or to form your own damn team.

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

41 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

You seem to have problems with every PUG you join.

I'm starting to think the problem isn't the PUGs.

If @Snarky made a post about every pick-up group he joined, it would make the recent spam attack appear laconic.  He's only giving us the highlights, not chapter and verse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 minutes ago, Luminara said:

If @Snarky made a post about every pick-up group he joined, it would make the recent spam attack appear laconic.  He's only giving us the highlights, not chapter and verse.

Too true. These people seriously misjudge how much i game

I've pug'd with Snarky a couple of times now. As a forum user I like the dance of death... "Am I going to end up in a post?" - adds a bit of spice 😉 We did a VERY bad respect trial which I 100% expected to see on here.

PUGS are fun. You roll with the punches. The quit button is there for a reason though. I think its ok to leave as long as you explain the situation to the leader, blind quitting I'm a little less forgiving of. A kill all +0 Manti and a +1 are gonna be different enough times where I could see myself feeling like my nose was being put out of joint (although I don't know if I'd quit). It sounds like maybe there was a miscommunication on all fronts.
What I would say is: let's not get too aggy with each other. Do it in the Arena. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

On 2/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, Snarky said:

I send a question in team "Are we running at +1"

Leader "Yeah"

Me "Was that in the ad?"

Leader "Never said it was speed"

Now see.  To me there are various conversations that could have happened here.  But that particular response can (to me) be boiled down to "My team, my rules, I own you for the rest of this task force."  

I think the hilarious part is that you wrote the leader/TF off as unacceptable because you sent him a mildly snarky poke and he sent you back a mildly snarky reply.

Clearly, your snark is worse than your fight.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Too true. These people seriously misjudge how much i game

But like...it's the SAME chapter over and over and....

I get teaming can be rough, but at this point I've never even experienced HALF of what you have. I'm interested, what times to do you get on? And why is this happening so often? Doesn't seem natural, if ya ask me.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Heh.  I advertised a kill most +4 ITF yesterday.  I knew my tank could handle the incoming, though holding agro can get dicey.

I should have dropped it to +2 after the first mission, but did drop it to +3 after the second.    Not enough DPS and not enough mitigation.

We had to restart the last mission at +0 to finish, but we only lost one member while doing that and credit to the players that stuck around for two hours and 121 deaths. 😛

May try another one tonight, but making sure to bring a couple DPS units.

• Like 1