New HC SubReddit

Scutt

On 2/9/2023 at 3:48 AM, Scutt said:

Someone has created an HC specific reddit that I wanted to share here. I am hoping this is ok to do as when I linked this on r/CityofHeroes, the response was a bit ... dramatic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoHHomecoming/

Love, Scutt!

Thanks for sharing.

I don't use the reddit and I get the point below. A little grassroots getting the word out seems valid. Good job trying to get more redsiders @Snarky

20 hours ago, Lady Victory - The Watch said:

Because not everyone uses or even knows about the forums.
Sticking solely to the forums if you're interested in bringing more people into the game is just not likely.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, Xiddo said:

it isn’t about “can’t find or be bothered” it’s about finding people where they normally are and converting them into regular users

Is there really this big audience of potential CoH players on reddit, though?  I mean, CoH was a niche game when it was live.  I'm not hating on CoH one bit, I love the game, but I just can't see that there's this massive untapped audience on reddit, of all places.

5 hours ago, Xiddo said:

I didn’t find out about HC from the forums, I found out about it from Reddit. Now I am both an active player and, more recently, an active forum user.

The forums aren't where you find out about HC - I did a google search when I was feeling nostalgic about CoH a few years ago, and the HC page came up in the search results, so I checked it out.  Is CoH being discussed in the comic book sections of Reddit?  That's where I think a plug for HC would be best placed, not a separate page/section - and that's my point.  Do you like comic books or superheroes?  Do you like MMOs, check out forums.homecomingservers.com!

5 hours ago, Xiddo said:

I wonder if there’s also something about perceived approachability on here.

It's not about approachability, it's about where you post and how you go about doing it.  Are you asking for help, with an understanding that this is an older game, or are you demanding people stop what they are doing and cater to your whims?  Have you done an iota of research on CoH and/or checked the various resources already available, or are you coming in blind and making assumptions based upon other games you have played?  Even if you have a hot take, you can generally get the help you need, so long as you are willing to take the advice given...

5 hours ago, Xiddo said:

Could some of us look at how we interact and wonder “is my attitude helping to foster conversation and a welcoming environment”.

That goes both ways, though.  If you are "the new guy", then have a little humility and don't expect that everyone will do things the way you want or are used to.  "Welcoming" doesn't mean you get a blank check to throw your weight around just because you're new...

5 hours ago, Xiddo said:

I saw someone on the CoH FB saying “why can’t I post pictures on the HC forum? Everyone else seems to.” I probably won’t ever know why they didn’t post that question on these forums, I hope it wasn’t because they didn’t feel comfortable.

So why bother conjecturing?  Did you say "Here's the link to their support section, I'm sure someone can help you", instead of just guessing?  Be part of the solution, if you are so intent on extending beyond the existing site(s), and direct folks to the available resources.

1 minute ago, biostem said:

Is there really this big audience of potential CoH players on reddit, though?  I mean, CoH was a niche game when it was live.  I'm not hating on CoH one bit, I love the game, but I just can't see that there's this massive untapped audience on reddit, of all places.

Reddit has 430 million monthly users.  So there is a massive untapped audience for almost everything on Reddit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DougGraves said:

Reddit has 430 million monthly users.  So there is a massive untapped audience for almost everything on Reddit.

I don't care about their total userbase.  I care about the ones that go to sections that may involve CoH.  It's like saying your colon cleanse shop will get a lot of business because it's on an offramp...

Just now, biostem said:

I don't care about their total userbase.  I care about the ones that go to sections that may involve CoH.  It's like saying your colon cleanse shop will get a lot of business because it's on an offramp...

If 430 million people drive down that offramp every month you will get a lot of business because of it.

• Like 2

Just now, DougGraves said:

If 430 million people drive down that offramp every month you will get a lot of business because of it.

Then let me rephrase - your colon cleanse business is on a side road, off another side road, off yet another side road, off that offramp - What relevant sections of Reddit is CoH frequently discussed in, and what is their traffic like?  Regardless, all you need do then is to say "Hey, if you like superheroes and videogames, check out CoH:HC - here's their site".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biostem said:

When I just googled "City of heroes" on a clear browser (Chrome, not safari) and the third result for me was the Reddit for CoH, behind the Wiki and the OG website. If a returning player happens to feel nostalgic and searches for it they are likely to find that high up. The first "people also ask" is "is it still playable", and right at the bottom there is a "city of heroes homecoming". So at least we're winning the autocomplete!

9 minutes ago, biostem said:

Is CoH being discussed in the comic book sections of Reddit?  That's where I think a plug for HC would be best placed, not a separate page/section - and that's my point.  Do you like comic books or superheroes?  Do you like MMOs, check out forums.homecomingservers.com!

That's a very fair shout 🙂 Might do it tbh. I got chatting with a comic artist on Instagram who decided to come and try it out. As an aside, I often do a Twitter search and reply to people saying they miss the game and link them to the Forums. Quite often it is a positive response.

I did reply to them with some tips, asked more about the problem, we talked in the comments and I said to message me on here if they wanted anymore help. They haven't, which is their prerogative. I'm not trying to argue man, we all want the best for the player base. It wasn't an attack.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

Incorrect.

You MIGHT get a lot of business.

You're glossing over the attention span involved.

> First Order
The majority of people aren't going to even register that it's there.
>> Second Order
The majority of what's left will register it but just ignore it.
>>> Tertiary Order
The majority of what's left will actually register it, not ignore it, and simply decide they don't need said offering.

Essentially the number of people in the out-preference category proceeds exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Never mind the quality, feel the width

• Haha 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

My only personal experiences with Reddit involve generic google-searches for build ideas and min/max numbers related to other IPs, and even in that scenario, I notice a trend of "only popular opinions allowed" with innocuous things like the aforementioned. That doesn't even begin to describe the kind of screenshots and "discussions" I've seen posted elsewhere where that trend is turned up to 11 so hard that anything less than that is drowned out entirely or outright banned.

Beyond that, I'm tired of the "it was posted to Reddit/Twitter/Discord" when the question where information could be found when the answer should be "it's on the official forums." They're our forums, you're required to make an account to even launch the Homecoming server, and at the very least, all information/announcements should be cross-posted to here.

I don't use social media, I don't use Reddit, I don't go into Discord channels. I come to the official boards for info and the last thing I want to see is "Update is now LIVE: Details on REDDIT!" with a hyperlink I'll never click on.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:48 AM, Scutt said:

Someone has created an HC specific reddit that I wanted to share here. I am hoping this is ok to do as when I linked this on r/CityofHeroes, the response was a bit ... dramatic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoHHomecoming/

Love, Scutt!

"Ok, cool. 

Love you too Scutt!"

There, that wasn't difficult was it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

1) what are you talking about

2) have you tried the correct password for whatever you are attempting

It's a spam account, look at their post history. 

Edit: I have been reading too many Chatbot AI posts. I meant no offense 😆 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

13 minutes ago, rebeloutlaw said:

and here we go again tried to log in and no good 

Problems logging into Reddit should be addressed to Reddit, not here.

Problems logging into Co* should be addressed to the appropriate forum, where people capable of diagnosing the issue are looking, not in whichever thread you stumble into.

Problems with your banana pancakes should be addressed to IHOP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.