Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #16: Love is in the air (The Valentine's Event)

SeraphimKensai

Welcome and Happy Valentine's day. This week the discussion veers to the game's Valentine's Event.

It's been around for a long time with some tweaks here and there. What do you think the state of the event is? Do you enjoy the content? Are their any issues with the event that you have? If given carte blanche what would you do to change the event? Is there anything else that would be engaging for you that would match the event?

Thanks again folks.

It's been a while since I've done the missions, actually.

What mostly comes to mind with the event are the valentines they want you to deliver (which you get as tips) - as I'll inevitably get something wanting me to go somewhere I'd need to switch sides for. Granted, popping a teammate with an arrow so they're going into battle with little hearts floating up from them can be amusing...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

What do you think the state of the event is?

More than the other events, this event is for newer players and badgers.

Do you enjoy the content?

I have only run it this year because I have a friend that gets excited about all the holiday events and wants to turn them.

Otherwise, I have no interest in the event. Sure, I'll help out someone if they need a villain or hero for the co-op event.

Are their any issues with the event that you have?

Seeing as the majority of this Event content seems to be geared at duos, the Snaptooth (redundant/repeatable) mission seems out of place.

I would think that this should go into the LFG system under Holiday events when it is accessible as it is really geared toward full team play or at least DJ Zero should advise to take in a full team (Does he already? I thought I read through it, but sometimes I just skim that stuff).  I think it would be better placed under the Holiday even tab.

If given carte blanche what would you do to change the event?

I would move the Snaptooth mission to the LFG system under Holiday events (when it is accessible) as it is really geared toward full team play.

The Valentine's day tips are just run-around/fed-ex missions.

Tip missions where you join up with a NPC in a mission to help them rescue their related love interest NPC (even if they NPC you are help in is rejected after they rescue their love interest!), rescue Cupid from entrapment by the CoT, etc. would be much more welcome.

Is there anything else that would be engaging for you that would match the event?

Good one.

Okay. How about tip missions to that take you to the more scenic or romantic places in the City?

The isolated places way out on Talos with the waterfalls and nice views of the sunset?

The RPG areas? Pocket D, Tiki Lounge, the newer RPG areas, ski lodge, etc.

No badges, but the tip suggest you take a "friend", etc. to the location to enjoy the view.

Granted that this isn't for everyone, but is in the spirit of the holiday ...

Coh_wp.jpg

... and, yeah, weddings between characters used to actually happen in-game.

Edited by UltraAlt
reformating
  • Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I think I've done the Valentine content once. Might be a good time to run through them again. The tip missions are cute, but having to request a player of the opposite alignment to complete that one mish is too big of an ask for me.

14 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Are their any issues with the event that you have?

I feel like this event is begging for league-style content like how the Lord Winter instance was done. No idea what it would be.

14 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

If given carte blanche what would you do to change the event?

I would definitely add more temporary powers. You mean I can't give someone a Box of Chocolates (open for 8-12 insps) or throw a rose at an enemy (short duration mag 2 confuse)? Oh, and I think a "secret admirer" bulletin board stationed somewhere would be neat. I'm over the direct approach. I wanted @Snarky to be my valentine, but he accused me of not communicating my true feelings properly and left.

• Haha 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

10 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I think I've done the Valentine content once. Might be a good time to run through them again. The tip missions are cute, but having to request a player of the opposite alignment to complete that one mish is too big of an ask for me.

One can do it solo by starting the mission by going in and clearing a bit, then coming out, switch faction via Null, then go back in and finish objective.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, lemming said:

One can do it solo by starting the mission by going in and clearing a bit, then coming out, switch faction via Null, then go back in and finish objective.

Didn't know that worked. Thanks!

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

25 minutes ago, lemming said:

And some posters say the game isn't solo-friendly... (I kid, I kid!)

Seriously though, thanks for the info! Would have never thought to try that. Not sure if that's fully intended but it does make a great option for running the missions by yourself. Hell, going by the nature of the thread as a proposed change I'd say embrace the solo-option and make it official - include another badge specifically for doing that mission chain without a team. Considering the other badge titles, something like 'Eye of the Beholder' could absolutely fit. "Beauty and morality can both be subjective."

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

The whole thing on that passed right by me. Last time, I just hoarded the various temp bow attacks. My tech blaster whipped them out every now and then. It was months after the event, so I almost felt I was doing something wrong (Not to mention that I’m using a “love” power to attack people. The delicious irony!)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I haven't run any of the Valentine's content in years. It no longer interests me.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 2/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, lemming said:

I tried this tonight and was able to complete the mission, but didn't get the Beautiful badge. 😞

Maybe I cleared too much before switching?

I would be lying if I said I didn't go badge stupid on this event.  Like ran 28 alts through them (none had done it before).  I liked the cross faction nature the first few times but as some have said to kind of turns grindy after that.  What I love, and I do it in between the missions are the valentines, reading them and laughing bit the correct delivery and the mis-delivery.  The best was when I got all three To Synapse Valentines at the same time to deliver, From Synapse, From Candy Lebeaux and from Mandy Lebeaux.  He's such a cheese d1ck but pulling the Lebeaux Twins, not bad.  Of course they will be severely disappointed to discover that he's not just a fast runner . . . if you know what I mean.

Oh and smashing creepy Red Caps is always a joy.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)