How about we get rid of non-attuned IOs and remove the confusion?

Shred Monkey

The result I see from having both attuned and non-attuned versions of IOs is that they cause confusion.  I think if we made attunable recipes boostable we could just do away with non-attuned versions and simply the system.

As is, it's just an unneeded complication.  I realize originally attuned enhancements were implemented as an upgrade from regular enhancements to use if you were going to exemplar often.  However, I think in the current state of the game it's better to just simplify the game by doing away with the leveled set IOs and just make them all attuned only. 

(but do make them boostable.  That's still of value.)

• Thumbs Down 4

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I'd like the ability to boost Attuned IOs, but because of crafting costs and conversion restraints, it may not be possible to make every IO default Attuned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

While I understand the logic, this seems a pretty 'power creep'-y - especially so in-regard to what is already the most powerful tool for enhancing characters in the game. Having to either attune the IOs yourself or buy attuned versions separately from the auction house (where they already cost the same as non-attuned IOs, which in and of itself is an objective net gain) is really the only restraint placed on that aspect of the system. Getting attuned IOs as drops would render other enhancement drops even more useless than they already are, getting attuned IOs as recipes would make the existing recipes pointless (and require that all of them be remade as new, 'craft as attuned' versions if that's even possible), and being able to stack the enhancement boosts on top of having them level bonded seems... well, actually power creep-y.

On Live, these limitations were part of the MMO grind. On HC, all these things still exist as already lessened speedbumps in the system deliberately to curb mass inf. accumulation (and at least a little bit as a learning curve for players). Also the choice to attune or not to attune (or boost or not) is there as a player decision because there's supposed to be a tradeoff for using one over the other. If a player is making a character for high level PvE play (like AE farming) they probably can boost freely and don't even need to bother with attunement, if they're going for high-level PvP content then using boosts might be the best bet (while low-level PvP could use attuned), and if the character is a main that's going to badge or run exemplar content then the best choice is attuned - but the booster AE build might not be as good while exemping, the PvP builds won't function quite the same out of their level band, and the exemplar build won't have quite the same big numbers as either of the others in their respective areas.

Edit - Also, to actually address the 'player confusion' aspect, that's part of what the University IO tutorial is for and also if someone doesn't know what 'attuned' does... They can ask in Help chat or the HC Discord? Or look it up on the forums/wiki? Really, if someone dives into the IO system without taking the time to learn how aspects of it work, poorly spent influence is a really minor cost to pay (especially considering how easy it is to gain).

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 4

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

4 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

I think the training enhancements should be first on the chopping block.

I don't think removing them is the answer; there are still people who set themselves additional challenge by using TOs and DOs like the original game. However, I would like to see a settings drop-down on the vendor window like the one on the map window with options to show/hide TOs, DOs, and SOs at the player's choice.

• Like 1

I'm for getting rid of some of the confusion, but it's mainly to do with PvP & Very rare sets.

Very Rare should have attunement made impossible since they only exist at 50 and the only thing attunement does for them is make them non boostable.

Maybe instead, we make attuned IOs boostable?  (Though VRs should still have attunement not able to be done)

Edited by lemming
yea, nope
  • Like 1

Power creep bad. No. I oppose the OP. Boostable attuned IOs just means you can be super-ultra overpowered at all times.

Also, as was stated earlier in the thread, there are in-game tutorials, online wikis, and the Help channel for those players that may find the system complicated. And it suddenly stops being complicated when players ask questions to learn.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And how much would they cost?  I tend to outfit new characters with level 25 generic IOs, since they are relatively inexpensive and never expire.  I'd rather see the energy put toward a better invention tutorial/primer in-game for the uninitiated...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how my suggestion creates power creep.  Is there something available in what I said that isn't available now for the same price?

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'm not sure how my suggestion creates power creep.  Is there something available in what I said that isn't available now for the same price?

10 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

doing away with the leveled set IOs and just make them all attuned only. 

(but do make them boostable.

Attuned + boostable = power creep.

We cannot currently boost attuned IOs. We cannot currently attune boosted IOs. To boost the attuned IO is to strip away the attunement, if you can even boost them after attunement.

Edit: And the only way I would simplify the IO system is to expand the crafting tutorials to give more information.

Edit again: And if your intent is not to have boosted attuned set IOs? Then it would still be power creep because you are asking to be able to make attuned set IOs boostable which will lead to players asking for the two to stack. So no matter how you read the OP, it is power creep.

Edited by Rudra

I don't often do this but I think this adds nothing to gameplay, fails to achieve the OP's goals and takes up unwarranted and precious development time

/jranger

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

(but do make them boostable.  That's still of value.)

so make em work the same as purples... what would you be willing to trade to make this happen?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's not that hard to understand...Very Rare and PvP Set Bonuses work all the time regardless of level of IO.

You have to be in slottable level of the IO to get the bonus, best use is Attuned unless going for some slightly more min/maxed build and want to +5 those Max Level IOs.