So imagine our Devs decided to go for CoH 2...

3 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

My thoughts were similair to @Scarlet Shocker; lose most of the warwalls, make most of the city a "single zone". Some areas would still be walled off for security purposes, like Eden/The Hive.

Though I don't know why folks would remove PvP, unless this new version of CoH also does NOT have Villains. While the constraints needed to make PvP fair would horribly impact PvE performance, I belive the idea that opposite player factions would never come into conflict is asinine at best.  So what, you have no problem beating up Skulls and Hellions, but the moment you come across a serial Thief/Arsonist/Saboteur with delusions of grandeur and a nifty costume, suddenly you don't feel like doing your job anymore? Because you might lose?

Pfft, some Hero!

So yeah, no PvP is fine, but then no Player-Villains, either. Which probably wouldn't be a huge loss, since most of the time we're all teaming up anyway.

As someone who exclusively plays red side and gold side and abhors PvP, I'd like to unsubscribe from your newsletter. :P

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, d4verman said:

Isn't City of Titans supposed to be CoH 2 in a way? 

That is if it ever gets released. 

Funnily enough, Ship of Heroes (another CoH spiritual successor), just launched its Steam page here.  It's coming at the end of this year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FupDup said:

In regards to origin, I'd like each origin to have its own unique incarnate arc. Right now the Ramiel arc makes sense for magic characters but cramps the style of everyone else. 

Some ideas:

Natural: Go to ancient mountain temples, study under Tsoo monks

Science: Reverse-engineer Crey's Revenant Hero Project to modify your own body

Technology: "Borrow" some tech from the Rikti's homeworld

Mutant: Harness the power of the Devouring Earth virus to change your DNA to become more powerful

Magic: Drink magic juice from a magical well (the current Ramiel arc)

All origins could access every arc in Ouros (or Midnight Club after Dream Doctor blows up the place). The mutant one could maybe be the science origin instead, given that Dr. Hami designed the Dev Earth in a laboratory...

I agree with the general concept behind this idea. Nixing the Well of the Furies as the 'primal source for all superpowered possibilities' is an absolute yes. It was a dumb narrative decision hampered even further by poor explanation in-game, though I get why it works in the context of the Incarnate system (the Live devs wanted a handwave for why every single character concept could be affected by it, so 'quintessence of all superpowers' it was). That said, I'd go a step further and invert the focus on those Origin Exploration missions.

Keep the 'Deep Dive into Origins' aspect, but make it the player character seeing how other groups or signature characters of said Origins gain and utilize their powers, rather than any attempt to explain the player character's background or 'next step' for them. This still keeps it grounded within the lore and offers up more story angles to peruse, but keeps the character progression method deliberately nebulous. Was your Natural Origin character inspired to improve by Manticore and Wyvern? Did they push themselves further to combat Malta and the Knives of Artemis? Was it some secret training program from ELITE or Omega Watch? Or was it none of the above, some other idea you had?

The arc shouldn't be there to tell a player how their character works, it should show how similar characters fit into the world as inspiration. That was the biggest writing fumble of the Incarnate system, to me. The Origin stuff always should have been specific for setting canon & lore but open-ended for player inspiration - instead it was specific for setting canon & lore, and directly determinant for players. 'It doesn't matter what backstory you wrote, this is the ultimate source of why your character has their powers and the only way you will become stronger.'

By the same token, bringing back the FBSA branches as actually important entities in-game and just making origin choice matter more overall. Even if it is just for repeatable missions or similar arcs with branching dialogue options based on player origin, moments where the game gives the player an option to reference 'Yes, I am a Magic origin character in a Magic relevant arc' should definitely be more of a thing. How your character knows what they know or has access to what they do as a result is still up to player decision (or, if it's not fitting, just opting out of that angle in the first place), but it should still be there.

• Like 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

1 hour ago, Sir Myshkin said:

For some reason I'm struggling to see this. A vampire... truck driver.

But then I think about it being a relatively confined (coffin) space, and with appropriately tinted windows it could be fairly well sun-shaded... and suddenly I have this whole new vision of a remake for Smoky and the Bandit. Instead of Snowman, it'll be Snarky, and it won't be Coors, but product from a blood bank ala a Bank Robbery style film.

spike-drivin-slayer.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

But then I think about it being a relatively confined (coffin) space, and with appropriately tinted windows it could be fairly well sun-shaded... and suddenly I have this whole new vision of a remake for Smoky and the Bandit. Instead of Snowman, it'll be Snarky, and it won't be Coors, but product from a blood bank ala a Bank Robbery style film.

The RV...

Near Dark (1987) - IMDb

Edited by PLVRIZR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Now that I think about it, if we can flesh out KW, that'd be cool. That wouldn't have to be Coh2, either. It's just a zone asking for some content.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

5 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

i love it

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Astralock said:

A sequel would be nice solely to remove all of the technical cruft CoH has accumulated.  More and more people are running into issues running it on modern hardware, including myself.  It's to the point that I pay $58 per month just to rent a Shadow PC to play despite having a modern gaming PC built last year, and honestly I'm kind of tired of it.

Really?

I'm not exactly running a coal-powered rig. I can't imagine how any advance could keep the game from running, assuming things like a compatibility setting or two.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 hours ago, d4verman said:

Isn't City of Titans supposed to be CoH 2 in a way? 

That is if it ever gets released. 

I think they've discovered that you can make a really, really, really detailed model of a rocket.

Unfortunately.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I think they've discovered that you can make a really, really, really detailed model of a rocket.

Unfortunately.

In this amount of time they could have printed a rocket on a 3d printer. Full scale atlas perfect to the last detail.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

In this amount of time they could have printed a rocket on a 3d printer. Full scale atlas perfect to the last detail.  

Point being, in case I was too cryptic, that they have spent a decade meticulously perfecting what looks like an MMO, without actually building anything that's actually a game. Maps, a costume creator and lore don't add up to anything but a volume of D&D rules.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:21 PM, biostem said:

Keep it to some sort of arena setting, with no unique rewards, and I'd be fine with it.

17 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

3) Dedicated PVP server - those that want to PVP can

I just feel that PvP distorts a game when it's not the actual point. CoX is a PvE game; shoehorning in a mode so P's can pound on each other leads to an endless chain of compromises that cripple the main purpose. I think that precisely happened with the current game, and for all the whining and please-mommy and I'ma-gonna-sulks, it didn't add much. The PvP zones and arenas were never well populated.

So I'm a perma-no on that, for whatever tiny speck in the cosmos that's worth. If PvP has to be included, then it has to be completely isolated, all but a separate game, and not one dev minute or decision spent enabling or "balancing" it.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Point being, in case I was too cryptic, that they have spent a decade meticulously perfecting what looks like an MMO, without actually building anything that's actually a game. Maps, a costume creator and lore don't add up to anything but a volume of D&D rules.

Oh I decided long ago they were just “following the rules” to not get in trouble for fraud.  They collected a lot of money.  If the did nothing they were screwed. Now, if the do a project horribly stupid they are not legally in any trouble 

• Sad 1

Detach aesthetics from powers, to a degree.

Turn something like Fire Blast into "Deterioration Blast". The base look could be fiery, but you can also alter the look to be Icy, Corrosive, all of that come from a weapon, and so on. The mechanical theme of "my special effect is DoT" would be the unifier as opposed to say "Forceful Blast" which would be the Energy Analogue where your special is pushing targets. 

Expand powersets beyond 9 powers, and include more passives / A or B choices. Coupled with the above, a "Single Weapon" set would cover nearly half the melee sets in CoH as a weapons master type character. Better yet, it may not need specific weapon sets at all if it were just a costume choice for your powers. This frees up a lot of design space to make much bigger power pools based on mechanics that you layer aesthetics with to get even finer creative control.

Similar enhancement system, but expanded upon. Add in more slots like a global slot, a slot for a whole powerset, maybe special slots per power that take special procs. Additionally, IOs and normie enhancements become one in the same with more complex enhancements able to just drop.

More interaction with the world based on powers. Your character is super strong? They can kool aid through a door. They have electrical power? They can turn on a generator or zap a body of water. Lots of ways to play with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like the gangs to be a bit better. Can still be skulls/trolls/hellions etc but give them more a in game reason to be around. What roll they fill in the city etc.  

Less crime in the day then night. The need to actively arrest things or just kill them. Have the world Npc and outher things treat you differently on how you act.  The punisher toon killing all the skulls might be like in Kings row when crime was down but still can't walk into the ppd or they will be arrested/attacks. 

A crime meater in each zone/neighborhood low crime means less things for a hero to do high crime give less for a villan as hero's/villans do thing in the area it will affect the meator as a pve way to do PvP.  

Personally I would like all zones to be PvP and you could be fighting at any time. Even in mishens but I quickly see that being a issue for how hard hero's tend to out umber villans. 

More/better zone events.  

Idk what to do about iOS but I would like that system changed. Just never thought on how. 

Differences in each origin. Maybe tech could do more different powers but would have a in game currency cost to maintain and repair.  Maybe mutant would have free slots on powers and the more you use them the more slots they get. Again random thoughts no real idea put into it. 

More in game rp hubs. Possibly all of them being "neutral" zones where you can't PvP at all. 

Most or all of the city fixed up to later break it with events and have players build some in games things there. 

Player homes. (Could just be a "SG" portal to a small lot at the door of every apparent idea)  

Less useless currency.  

The removal of levels (good luck getting people to like this one)  

Better AI tatics the skulls might take small cover and rush you the Malta would take heavy cover and spread out more.  

Less street gangs like Malta or rikit that just should not be there. 

More underground exploring ing. Underwater zones.  

More npc in game fighting possibly as silly as "gang" zones where you can help them expand territory and they will do it by themselves.

Starting as a gang member or ppd/longbow/Malta  

Vehicles. More travel powers. 

The list goes on.

7 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I just feel that PvP distorts a game when it's not the actual point. CoX is a PvE game; shoehorning in a mode so P's can pound on each other leads to an endless chain of compromises that cripple the main purpose. I think that precisely happened with the current game, and for all the whining and please-mommy and I'ma-gonna-sulks, it didn't add much. The PvP zones and arenas were never well populated.

So I'm a perma-no on that, for whatever tiny speck in the cosmos that's worth. If PvP has to be included, then it has to be completely isolated, all but a separate game, and not one dev minute or decision spent enabling or "balancing" it.

That's a valid opinion - but I'd counter it by saying that I feel no negative impact from PVP in the game as it stands. If I want to take part in PVP, I take part. If I don't, then it doesn't bother me. There is no measurably impact on the PVE game I can detect unless I willingly go into a PVP zone (for example to get Shivans) and somebody happens to try and take me on there, which is entirely their right to do so.

I'd be interested in understanding how you feel PVP has actually been of detriment to the PVE game and wider community - and I think it's worth pointing out that there are a significant number of players who enjoy casual PVP and wouldn't go for a completely distinct and separate game just to PVP

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

4 hours ago, Supertanker said:

Everyone in the same city, no splitting up the player base.

No Player Villains, but you can create villains (and their henchmen, lair, etc.) for others to fight in AE-style player generated content.

Exactly how large an order of crap did you want?  Large, extra large, or “bury me under Bandini mountain?”

• Haha 3