So imagine our Devs decided to go for CoH 2...

1-50 for four different scales.

Street Hero

World Hero

Cosmic Hero

Imaginaut

Not Street Hero 'til you hit 30, then World Hero 'til 45, then Cosmic Hero at 50.

Lemme make a Street Hero and keep fighting Hellions, Skulls, Sky Raiders, the Family and stuff all the way from 1 to 50.

Lemme make a character who exists on a Cosmic Scale, fighting Aliens and Space Pirates from level 1 onward.

Lemme make a World Class Hero who stops runaway trains at level 1 and maxes out on Global Threats without touching Space.

Lemme do a Dimenion Hopping Space Faring character who jumps between realities at level 1 and engages with the Quantum realm.

Also Also: Disaster Missions. I've defused a lot of bombs, sure. But let me stop a runaway train. Let me lift rubble off of civilians. Let me throw a gasoline-carrying tanker truck away from the emergency room it crashed into so it blows up somewhere safe instead of endangering the hospital. Give me missions where I have to break the Earthquake Machine or catch part of a building to save people and be a hero in that way. How about Search and Rescue missions where NPCs spawn at various locations and I have to get them to safety from the plane crash or shipwreck or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Steampunkette said:

Street Hero

World Hero

Cosmic Hero

Imaginaut

Not Street Hero 'til you hit 30, then World Hero 'til 45, then Cosmic Hero at 50.

Lemme make a Street Hero and keep fighting Hellions, Skulls, Sky Raiders, the Family and stuff all the way from 1 to 50.

Lemme make a character who exists on a Cosmic Scale, fighting Aliens and Space Pirates from level 1 onward.

Lemme make a World Class Hero who stops runaway trains at level 1 and maxes out on Global Threats without touching Space.

Lemme do a Dimenion Hopping Space Faring character who jumps between realities at level 1 and engages with the Quantum realm.

Also Also: Disaster Missions. I've defused a lot of bombs, sure. But let me stop a runaway train. Let me lift rubble off of civilians. Let me throw a gasoline-carrying tanker truck away from the emergency room it crashed into so it blows up somewhere safe instead of endangering the hospital. Give me missions where I have to break the Earthquake Machine or catch part of a building to save people and be a hero in that way. How about Search and Rescue missions where NPCs spawn at various locations and I have to get them to safety from the plane crash or shipwreck or whatever.

Sounds good, as long as the regular progression is still there. I like the fact that Spider-Man progressed from fighting robbers to the Vulture to alien invaders to Thanos. Street to World to Cosmic.

But I get wanting to start out as Silver Surfer or Green Lantern, and it’s definitely something I’d do with my undoubted hundreds of alts.

(It better keep the ability to make dozens of alts. That’s a must-have for and CoH sequel.)

1 hour ago, Steampunkette said:

Street Hero

World Hero

Cosmic Hero

Imaginaut

Why not have four different iterations your character goes through - each 50 levels; so you start at street, then world, then cosmic and finally ... well I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean by "imaginaut" but it would give your character 200 levels to go through before meeting the end game  which could be a real challenge. Especially if the Architect Entertainment didn't give XP 😄

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I think a CoH 2 would be cool but I don't think there's much I'd want that we couldn't have here. A v.2.0 would have better graphics, options and so on but it'd be a lot of work and wouldn't be done by just volunteers. I have no idea if a lot of people would buy a CoH 2 and that is the key element with making it.

Anyway, let's not worry about that malarky!

-As I said before, graphic upgrade would be a given as would the upgrade in other areas of game tech. Then we might have the ability to add more powers like running up walls, elasticity and so on. 

-Maybe give us the ability to make characters that have multiple arms, legs, different torsos (centaur, mermaid etc). These could also be NPCs

Honestly, I do like the current game and am fine playing it but it is getting stale and I play far less than I used to. I feel the Devs should try and think outside the box more when adding to the game and not roll with the same old.

-Yes, put in my AE/players create content for the regular game and do most of the work.

-Add something different...or kinda different. The Nemesis system (based on CHAMPIONS) but better. The key would be the players get to make the nemesis from the costume creator etc.

-Add a pool power like Sidekick. Again, players get to create the look and powers of the sidekick. Not crazy different but the strength of this game is the toon creator so let's make this a strength based add.

-New TFs/Sfs/Trials

All of these can go into CoH2 but since that's unlikely, put them into the current game. I truly appreciate the Devs but adding the same old is a good way of losing players.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:20 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I can say, with a reasonably high degree of confidence, that I doubt too many people would want dildo(e)s in a new CoH2

But then there's always gonna be somebody who wants to play "dildo assault" as a power set

If you want to assault people with dildos there's always Saints Row

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blastit said:

Some, perhaps, but a lot of the worst people really just think "fuck you, I do what I want to" and relish being cruel to others. More complicated motivations are often preferred in writing because it's more interesting to write and think about but it's not more realistic necessarily.

I’d say that’s accurate, insofar as, for some folks “the greater good” is themselves.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Two things:  Audio in cinematics and... 

Endurance goes away for ever.  It's an outdated concept that serves no real purpose.   Recharge is all you should be worrying about when it comes to keeping players from using powers too often, and honestly, this is proven by the fact that we now almost ALL use procs to make endurance a non-issue by the mid 30s.  It's a holdover from everquest that you don't find outside of MMOs, and many modern MMOs don't have it either.    

• Like 1

Modern graphics capabilities, a team search option akin to WOW/SWTOR, but not limited to 5 like those games are.  A SG bank:  Instead of emailing the various types of rewards in tokens of 50 to yourself, let it go to a singular bank usable by all who are authorized.  Same with the currency.  Unlimited salvage, enhancements, and inspirations storage in a container.  A map randomizer for indoor map missions.  Allow for cherry-picking the powerset enhancements instead of having to get X enhancements to get the one powerup you really want most out of the group.

Now for the pipe dreams:
Steal...blatantly steal Champions Online's character creator options and integrate them with COH's (different length/size/dimensions of individual body parts).
And then for good measure have every known and unknown copyrighted and trademarked comicbook outfit available as a costume.  [I keed]

On 3/22/2023 at 5:58 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

what would that look like.

There was a time we had high (or less high) hopes of successor projects. Some of us even gave money to them, in the hope we'd get something in return but I think genuinely without too many expectations. Some of those projects haven't gone so very far, others have withered on the vine, and some seem to be increasingly close to completion in a way that counting to infinity works.

But... (and it's a very big but and I like big buts I cannot lie)

We were blessed with some magic and we discovered that against all odds, something we loved dearly was given back to us - but not just returned in a static state like an antique vase, but more like (rushes to search for an analogy) a classic racing car, that is continually run, successful in its class, and often modernised and updated within the rules of the competition (ie the constraints we are under as we are)

So this is more a thought experiment than anything. I should stress it is not a "wish list" or a call to  action for our own devs - but I need to give them credit for not just nurturing our game but treating it with the love, respect and dedication that it deserves. They have guarded it well, and in many many ways improved it - and even if I've disagreed with some of the options they've gone for I understand their logic and reasoning and they are mostly minor. I genuinely believe that this group of developers have served the game better than some served it on live - but I also understand the commercial pressures they were under and that's not what this thread is about.

So imagine our guys get a free rein, go have skilled fun and come up with Paragon City 2.0 (perhaps after we've finally kicked the Rikti's butt and sent them packing (it's the 20th anniversary of their invasion, after all) - what does that look like?

What does City of Heroes 2.0 look like on day one of launch?

No, this is not a wish list. It's not about new gimmicks, or "I want x power set" or "I wanna play a clown"  etc. It's about how does the game, the story, the environment move forward as a game released at the end of the first quarter of the 21st century with a 20 year legacy behind it.

Go to it!

A city that looks like an actual place where people live and work. Gas stations, parks, single family homes, Drive Thrus, a variety of stores and businesses that aren't just the same 4 or 5 placards stuck on the front of a generic building.

Some of the stuff they did towards the end started to get there - the hospital and bank in Praetoria, the area around Mirror Spirit in FF. Still nowhere near enough. The city needs to look like a city, and not like a bunch of cardboard buildings someone set up to play a game in.    

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Why not have four different iterations your character goes through - each 50 levels; so you start at street, then world, then cosmic and finally ... well I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean by "imaginaut" but it would give your character 200 levels to go through before meeting the end game  which could be a real challenge. Especially if the Architect Entertainment didn't give XP 😄

The point is to have different ways to play the game. Not one even longer path which progresses through everything.

To have characters who spend their whole career in Kings Row, becoming the guardian of the downtrodden that live there. To make a character who punches out aliens at level 1. To have -variety- of character scale.

Rather than every single character progressing from Hellions to Praetorians. More stories, not one that is 4 times longer to achieve the same goal as CoH 1.

And the Fantastic Four are Imaginauts. Different dimensions, planets, dangers. Very much more on the "Star Trek" side of superheroics where you introduce wild alternate realities and crazy alien species that later plague the comic book universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/25/2023 at 2:10 PM, Steampunkette said:

Street Hero

World Hero

Cosmic Hero

Imaginaut

It's an interesting thought, but how might that work with our five origins concept, specifically the Natural heroes?  Anything beyond your definitions for Street Hero would seem to exclude the Natural origin. 

Full disclosure: although I have a few Natural heroes, I never really saw it as a viable origin.  In comics, natural heroes eventually use tech, either a little or a lot, which means, to my way of thinking, they're automatically tech heroes.  Maybe not Iron Man, but even the Green Hornet comes armed with a gas gun, a Stinger taser, and a tricked out ride.  Despite my misgivings at this origin, I'm still interested to see how it would be interpreted in any hypothetically future work.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:27 PM, Glacier Peak said:

I'm happy with the game, why do I need a sequel again?

Plus the whole second system syndrome....

It is just an attempt for people to get their say in how the game is made instead of loving what we have.  Changes =/= Improvements.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 4/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, BurtHutt said:

I think a CoH 2 would be cool but I don't think there's much I'd want that we couldn't have here. A v.2.0 would have better graphics, options and so on but it'd be a lot of work and wouldn't be done by just volunteers. I have no idea if a lot of people would buy a CoH 2 and that is the key element with making it.

Anyway, let's not worry about that malarky!

-As I said before, graphic upgrade would be a given as would the upgrade in other areas of game tech. Then we might have the ability to add more powers like running up walls, elasticity and so on. 

-Maybe give us the ability to make characters that have multiple arms, legs, different torsos (centaur, mermaid etc). These could also be NPCs

Honestly, I do like the current game and am fine playing it but it is getting stale and I play far less than I used to. I feel the Devs should try and think outside the box more when adding to the game and not roll with the same old.

-Yes, put in my AE/players create content for the regular game and do most of the work.

-Add something different...or kinda different. The Nemesis system (based on CHAMPIONS) but better. The key would be the players get to make the nemesis from the costume creator etc.

-Add a pool power like Sidekick. Again, players get to create the look and powers of the sidekick. Not crazy different but the strength of this game is the toon creator so let's make this a strength based add.

-New TFs/Sfs/Trials

All of these can go into CoH2 but since that's unlikely, put them into the current game. I truly appreciate the Devs but adding the same old is a good way of losing players.

I would love to build on this.

I think there should be tools available for the players to build zones.  The results should be added to a test server after some kind of review.  If the beta tests go well enough, then add to the game.

Also, this could go for other aspects of the game such as the costume tools.

23 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I would love to build on this.

I think there should be tools available for the players to build zones.  The results should be added to a test server after some kind of review.  If the beta tests go well enough, then add to the game.

Also, this could go for other aspects of the game such as the costume tools.

I don't know if there are tools to build zones? That seems like a whole new system.

I've been asking to add the AE player created content for years now. I just ran through the new Rogue arc with a team and I think it's even more important to have players generate content (I absolutely did not enjoy that arc at all - too long, can't really read all materials if you're not team lead, same old boring enemies and so on).

Anyway, I hope these ideas get used one day 🙂

1 minute ago, BurtHutt said:

I don't know if there are tools to build zones? That seems like a whole new system.

I've been asking to add the AE player created content for years now. I just ran through the new Rogue arc with a team and I think it's even more important to have players generate content (I absolutely did not enjoy that arc at all - too long, can't really read all materials if you're not team lead, same old boring enemies and so on).

Anyway, I hope these ideas get used one day 🙂

whole new system...If only the game had zones to begin with then we might be able to see how those were made.

1 minute ago, wjrasmussen said:

whole new system...If only the game had zones to begin with then we might be able to see how those were made.

For me, I think we already have too many zones. I'd love to see new maps etc but only if they're in a new mission (arc, TF, SF, Trial etc).

I'd be fine with just more City. That said, RTX Remix is a thing now, maybe someone out there can get all the OpenGL calls in CoH and translate them to Vulkan, then use something like Remix and give us like a UE5 visual upgrade! :D now THAT would be epic. best thing, it would be client side, so if you don't have the hardware, keep with the old build :)

On 4/29/2023 at 10:48 AM, Techwright said:

It's an interesting thought, but how might that work with our five origins concept, specifically the Natural heroes?  Anything beyond your definitions for Street Hero would seem to exclude the Natural origin. 

Full disclosure: although I have a few Natural heroes, I never really saw it as a viable origin.  In comics, natural heroes eventually use tech, either a little or a lot, which means, to my way of thinking, they're automatically tech heroes.  Maybe not Iron Man, but even the Green Hornet comes armed with a gas gun, a Stinger taser, and a tricked out ride.  Despite my misgivings at this origin, I'm still interested to see how it would be interpreted in any hypothetically future work.

Same as we have now.

Natural doesn't have to mean "Human", after all. Superman is a Natural hero.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Wavicle said:

Superman is a Science hero. Exposure to an alien sun is Science.

Ehhh... It affects -every- member of his species the same way.

Science is something specific to you based on whatever experiment or accident happened. Natural is a function of what you are.

Also "Alien Sun" doesn't mean anything. Stars are stars. Dude just wasn't getting all the solar power he could've out of a Red Dwarf instead of a Yellow Main Sequence star because red dwarves literally put out less light/heat/energy.

GASP.

Kryptonians are Photosynthetic.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, Wavicle said:

Superman is a Science hero. Exposure to an alien sun is Science.

No. He isn't

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 5/1/2023 at 4:52 AM, Shadowsleuth said:

Mord-Sith Agiels

1711911557_Mord-SithAgiel.jpg.5a26bd66cbe6e68c9a5965bd6ec5cba9.jpg

the one on the left looks like a female Daredevil only with added phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr