Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #22: What If you lived in Paragon City, the Rogue Isles, or Praetoria?

Hey again folks. This week the conversation delves more into the metaphysical projection of self into the game setting. So this isn't about any character you necessarily have but what you perceive yourself to be like if you lived in Paragon City, the Rogue Isles, or Praetoria.

Do you have powers? If so what's your Archetype? What's your Powersets? What's your origin story? What's your alignment? Do you openly use your powers or do you hide them? Where do you live? How do you deal with life? Do you have a day job?

Hopefully you have fun with this one.

Drink your Enriche!  All is well!  Gwendolyn Lee will be on TPN later with the weather.  It will be Hamidon free!

Huzzah!

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Enjoyin' retirement on one the outlying islets in Nerva and cashin' in the bits of scrapped tech washing up on the beach from the frequent Longbow vs everyone else clashes. Those days as a 'Lectric/Rad Sentinel cape are just memories. Yup...listenin' to tunes and watchin' sunsets over the water while sippin' my lemonade without a care is great. And the locals have long since learned to leave me alone...the hard way. 

32 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you have powers?

Sure. One way or the other. I would want to have powers. Who wants to be an NPC?

33 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

If so what's your Archetype?

I figure that would depend on my $origin which may not be natural, and I probably wouldn't have a choice especially if my $origin was mutation.

I would deal with world gave me or work through science, tech, or magic depending which of those doors opened for me in the CIty.

37 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

What's your Powersets?

The ones that I would have access to or think up and try to make happen.

38 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

What's your origin story?

I mean this is me and not a character.

My origin is suddenly being in Paragon City, and realizing it was for real. I would be wondering how I ended up in Paragon City. I would be looking looking for day jobs and a place to live; I don't want end up under the underpass in Kings Row trying to stay warm around a barrel-fire with a bunch of Lost. I would probably try to be trying to find a way back home or find out that I'm trapped in another cage.

42 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

What's your alignment?

I would strive to be a hero, but I would probably end up being a vigilante.

42 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you openly use your powers or do you hide them?

Never take off the mask ... until it's time to blend in with a crowd.

43 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Where do you live?

I guess it would depend on what I could afford. I don't know what kind of loot I could make from day jobs, and I don't know the prices for places to live within the CITY. 

As said above, I would be trying to avoid living with Lost in an underpass in Kings Row.

47 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

How do you deal with life?

Do what I have to do to pay my bills and then spend the rest of the time trying to do what I can to save people and fight crime in the City.

48 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you have a day job?

I figure I won't end up in the City with wealth.

I'd end up blipped in there with hopefully at least my clothes.

I wouldn't have any kind of Paragon City ID.

Yeah, I would get a day job as soon as I could.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you have powers?

I'd find it ridiculously hard to live anywhere in the game without powers, or at least substantial tech.  Yes, I tend to think of myself in terms of a powered individual living in Paragon.

If so what's your Archetype?

Probably Sentinel: part ranged, part melee. Maybe not the strongest at any one thing, but adaptable and with reasonable defenses.

Alternatively, controller.

What's your Powersets?

Sentinel-wise: That one I'd have to think about, though I will say the foundation would be survivability.  No sense in having a powerful attack if I can be one-shotted.  Possibly ice, therefore.

Controller: this is easy: storm/illusion.  Good survivability, and a downright vicious attack on opponents.

I've got some great character origin stories but the one that has always struck a chord with me, the one I'd want if I lived in this world, is the guy who has wealth enough (not Bruce Wayne-levels of wealth, but enough) that he could relocate out of the city, but instead spends his wealth freely to improve himself (in the scenario paying the right people to design him a powered under-suit to his costume), then spends the rest of his fortune to acquire the rights to an old movie hero franchise so that he can inhabit and personify the role for real.  Sure his life is a real terror, but if he's going to go out, he's going to do it on his terms: helping people and having fun while doing it.   There's actually a real-world influence in this idea:  Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels (The Lone Ranger and Tonto) knew the impact they had with young people and more or less set a standard for themself to continue being a quality influence in people's lives long after their roles ended.

What's your alignment?

Classic goodie-two-shoes hero, because that aligns with the old movie hero whom my in-world self has chosen to personify.  I'd also see it as the means to bring out the best in people. 

I think I'd start with a mystery private life.  Once I'd built a name, I'd have enough time to decide whether I could do a Tony Stark-like reveal.

Where do you live?

As close to an ICON tailor store as possible.  Think about it: where will there always be spare heroes nearby if you're attacked when resting?  There's also the advantage that the buildings around ICON are usually one or two story structures.  Living in a skyscraper gives a good view and a good balcony launchpad if you're a flyer, but just look at what happened to Baumtown.  Probably not a good structure to live in around these parts.

Incorporating my movie-fiction persona into my "real" person.  I'd probably travel outside the city periodically doing uplifting work visiting children's hospitals and the like while in costumed persona.  I'd enjoy getting people to associate my role with goodness and inspiration, even if a little daft for the old style I'd deliberately incorporate with it.  I can laugh at myself with them. I'd have a deep satisfaction bringing out the best in people, regardless of what face I wore in public.

Do you have a day job?

Yes, though unconventional.  Part of the reason I'd have acquired the movie franchise was so that I could reboot the character and story.  As my reputation grows, I'd be growing my fanbase with online chats, sites, and more.  I'd strike licensing deals for new designs in clothing and gifts related to the rebooted franchise and character that I "inhabit". I'd probably work it into new story material as well, whether movie, book, or internet series.  It's a little like DC's Booster Gold, but without the narcissistic and financially exploitive tendencies.   I'd just be recouping my expenses, keeping my gear up to date, and providing for travel and charity options.

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you have powers? If so what's your Archetype? What's your Powersets?

Super Strength/Willpower brute would be the closest approximation of the real me.

Mundane.

What's your alignment?

Vigilante.

Or rogue.

Rogulante?

Rogulante.

YARN | Down here, I'm God. | The Matrix Revolutions (2003) | Video clips by  quotes | 8f0dad2a | 紗

Where do you live?

Eden.

Quietly.  With lots of cats.

Do you have a day job?

Several, but only jobs that involve helping people who need it.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

If I lived in:

Paragon - Move.

Rogue Isles - Move.

Praetoria - Hope I like Jello and/or radiation. *Thanks,* Cole.

• Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I will probably end up as a Loyalist working for a clockwork factory somewhere near the Magisterium.

Who needs powers? Life is good here. The Emperor protects and all that.

Hopefully, no alien weirdos will come here, brand us evil for having a different political system, and try to liberate me by supporting the Resistance and destabilizing my government. Which would probably turn my beautiful neighborhood into an apocalyptic wasteland in the process. 

• Sad 1

I've been thinking about this one a bit for myself and thinking that if I somehow lived in the game I'd probably live in Talos Island. I think it would be cool to have powers but I'm guessing I wouldn't naturally have them. Maybe I become a Warshade's host. Guessing I would likely fall in line as a vigilante but I don't think I'd actively using my powers to get into battles with gangs, monsters, demons, and aliens. I'd probably try and keep a low profile and take care of the family. I'd have a day job, because I've been unemployed before and I get bored easily, so work it is for me. At least the commutes are quick with Shadow Step.

It's kind of an interesting take on the whole "if you had one super power what would you have" question. I assume though that we wouldn't have knowledge of the outside world, otherwise we'd be trying to break the 4th wall all day.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I personally lived in Paragon City?

I'd probably like to live in Salamanca because I love the night there, the day is okay and the sun can be fun, but I live to see those rays slip away.

In reality I'd probably live in some studio apartment in Faultline.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Honestly? I'd move. 

As a completely normal, "non-powered civilian" woman I'd be utterly unable to walk cross my own neighborhood without getting into an hours-long tug-of-war match with some ganger over my purse. Even though the jerks would never actually be successful in snatching said-purse, the process would get old fast. 

So, no thanks Paragon.

I'd rather move to the 'burbs. <_<

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

16 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I'd be utterly unable to walk cross my own neighborhood without getting into an hours-long tug-of-war match with some ganger over my purse.

Can you clutch a purse like it's your precious baby?  Are you comfortable standing in one spot for hours?  Have you ever arm-wrestled a gorilla?  Exciting career opportunities exist in Paragon City!  Join our ever-growing stable of victims!  Receive generous compensation for doing nothing!  Advance to Cell Phone Talker in no time!  Apply now!

This advertisement brought to you by the offices of Chris Jenkins, Attorney at Law.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.