Theme Team Badge

Would love to see a badge to commemorate running a complete TF in a team of 8 of the same AT's

There would have to be some kind of detection at TF completion for character count and types, which seems like it would require some programming but not be all that impossible. I would probably limit it to full TF runs, not Ouro or AE's which could be single missions.

Of course each badge per AT would require a different name, I have a few suggestions:

Tier 1: too good not to use:
Defender - The Best Offense

Controllers - Control Freak

Brute - Et Tu

Tier 2: Kinda iffy

Tanker - Tanks A Lot

Mastermind - Stampede / Stampede Participant

Dominator - Absolute Dominion

Arachnos Soldier/Widow (probably easiest to put epic AT's together) - Arachnophiliac

Tier 3: Could use some workshopping:

Blaster

Sentinel

Scrapper

Corruptor

Stalker

Warshade/Peacebringer

So how crazy am I talking, would each badge get individual artwork? Might be too much effort, but seems like a fun project.

I imagine some folks would be happy to show off their thematic unity with some of these.

Jump to the revised idea by the Handicapper General

Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

The badgers should be along shortly to point out that locking badges by AT will make it impossible to get every badge on a character.

A single badge with a single name might make the cut but badges by AT probably never would.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TheZag said:

The badgers should be along shortly to point out that locking badges by AT will make it impossible to get every badge on a character.

A single badge with a single name might make the cut but badges by AT probably never would.

You beat me to it. 13 new badges, but you can only ever get 1 of them? From a personal point of view, that sucks....

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

Very much this, and I'd be pretty unhappy if a different AT got the badge title I want...

Edit:  I'd definitely want that Control Freak badge on my Defender.  It's not like she has a bunch of Slows and 3 holds or anything...

Edited by Akisan

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

And to point out that it misses out on another form of 'theme team' — TFs run with a team where every character in the team shares a powerset. An example I participated in back on Live was an all-Kinetics team, but you could run an all Radiation Melee team, or an all Ice Armor team, or even stretch the definition a bit and make up a team with a 'special effect' theme — for example, everyone had a Radiation powerset: Radiation Blast, Radiation Melee, Radiation Armor, or an Ice theme to rope in Dominator powersets, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard pass on AT specific badges.

Eight of one AT: "Homogenized"

Eight of a theme:   "Close enough"

On themed runs:   Some themes are more malleable, but some characters may not be in a theme bucket easily.  Some powersets like Fire, Ice, Dark, easy.  However, Claws, Superstrength, Regen? (and such, lots of options there for ~3000 combos, not counting Powerpools, Patron, and Epic.

And then there are the occasional "Aliens!  Green!",  runs.

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

There are already badges which display differently dependent on alignment, this would effectively operate the same way. It's not like any one player will have the advantage to collect a second version of the same badge which is not available to other players for any reason.

The deluge of negativity to the suggestion of a badge was quite unexpected. It would just be a badge.

I drawed things:

55 minutes ago, SpookTheHerd said:

There are already badges which display differently dependent on alignment, this would effectively operate the same way. It's not like any one player will have the advantage to collect a second version of the same badge which is not available to other players for any reason.

The deluge of negativity to the suggestion of a badge was quite unexpected. It would just be a badge.

There are different names for some of them, yes.  I'm guessing you haven't yet locked a toon to an alignment because you want to keep that badge as part of their title?

I'm not against the addition of the badge, I'm against the fact that the granted title will be different based on what AT I'm on.

2 hours ago, Akisan said:

There are different names for some of them, yes.  I'm guessing you haven't yet locked a toon to an alignment because you want to keep that badge as part of their title?

I'm not against the addition of the badge, I'm against the fact that the granted title will be different based on what AT I'm on.

But that's exactly how the titles on alignment badges work. For example

Task Force Abandoner Badge

This badge displays different names, depending on a character's current alignment.

• Task Force Abandoner on villains and rogues
  • Task Force Commander on heroes and vigilantes
Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

3 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

Some people are *very* passionate about their badges... and getting them all. *shrug* I'm not one of them, and I don't honestly get it, but... it's a thing.

But, yeah. Having something like:

- All of one AT in a TF: "Unified."

- All different ATs: "Diversified"

... would tend to go over better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 minutes ago, Greycat said:

But, yeah. Having something like:

- All of one AT in a TF: "Unified."

- All different ATs: "Diversified"

... would tend to go over better.

Heck, make a whole array of badges based upon the number of different or similar ATs, instead of specific ones:

4 of 1 AT, 4 of another - "50-50"

2 each of 4 different ATs - "Drawn and Quartered"

No repeat ATs - "Rainbow Connection"

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, SpookTheHerd said:

But that's exactly how the titles on alignment badges work. For example

Task Force Abandoner Badge

This badge displays different names, depending on a character's current alignment.

• Task Force Abandoner on villains and rogues
  • Task Force Commander on heroes and vigilantes

Edited 40 minutes ago by SpookTheHerd

Well, yeah. That's kinda the point I was making, along with: I don't like that system. I have a few characters I made with specific badge titles in mind. One of them is alignment-locked because of it. (Mad Scientist badge, 3rd red-side healing).

So, yes, please, more badges, gimme.  But stop making me have to choose whether I'm good or evil (or a blaster, or a tank, or...) to get the one I want. (No more locked titles!)

(Yes, *some* are thematic red/blue, but it'd be nice to be able to choose any of the unlocked titles - so that Mad Scientist can still practice Mad Science after redeeming themselves... *if* they ever do...)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At least with alignments, you can switch the character to the alignment you want to get the badge title you want. However, you cannot switch your character to a different AT ever.

Main issue with the alignment stuff is that Praetorians do in fact get different titles. I was annoyed to realize my "Immortal Burk" character could never wear the "Immortal" badge title since he started as a Praetorian.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, Burk said:

At least with alignments, you can switch the character to the alignment you want to get the badge title you want. However, you cannot switch your character to a different AT ever.

My objective with the naming of the badges I suggested was to pick things which related specifically to the AT of the toon who participated, like "Et Tu" for Brutes

It would be a way to celebrate the powerset of that character in a way that wouldn't be appropriate otherwise.

The VIP/Destined One/Praetoria's Son/Daughter badges are already unchangeable and set in stone on character creation, this would be follow their lead.

I suppose if the badge had a boring title like "All-Defender-Squad" (where "defender" swaps out for whatever AT) that would be one way to solve the problem, but it would make it boring.

But since everyone ITT hates fun so much, if we HAD to keep it simple and have one-badge-for-all I would nominate "Bird of a Feather"

Also maybe a badge for a single deviating character on a team of 7 otherwise matched powersets that would be "Fly On the Wall"

On 7/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, Burk said:

Main issue with the alignment stuff is that Praetorians do in fact get different titles. I was annoyed to realize my "Immortal Burk" character could never wear the "Immortal" badge title since he started as a Praetorian.

That looks like it's a badge for commutative damage, why on earth would that be alignment locked?

EDIT: Oh, I looked again, and it simply has a different title, which, yeah, locked to Praetorians. Somehow didn't see that on the page I looked at last night.

Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

On 7/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, srmalloy said:
On 7/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, Rudra said:
On 7/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, TheZag said:

You beat me to it. 13 new badges, but you can only ever get 1 of them? From a personal point of view, that sucks....

And to point out that it misses out on another form of 'theme team' — TFs run with a team where every character in the team shares a powerset. An example I participated in back on Live was an all-Kinetics team, but you could run an all Radiation Melee team, or an all Ice Armor team, or even stretch the definition a bit and make up a team with a 'special effect' theme — for example, everyone had a Radiation powerset: Radiation Blast, Radiation Melee, Radiation Armor, or an Ice theme to rope in Dominator powersets, too.

Heck, might as well add Origin to the mess.

I'm going to have to agree with the No's on this one. Make it a title instead.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

57 minutes ago, SpookTheHerd said:

But since everyone ITT hates fun so much, if we HAD to keep it simple and have one-badge-for-all I would nominate "Bird of a Feather"

I 'love' how when anyone disagrees with a suggestion, it is because they 'hate fun'. It's never because of any of the reasons actually given, it is always because anyone who disagrees obviously hates fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rudra said:

I 'love' how when anyone disagrees with a suggestion, it is because they 'hate fun'. It's never because of any of the reasons actually given, it is always because anyone who disagrees obviously hates fun.

I dunno, speaking from the perspective of someone who was told I shouldn't bother imagining something because it wouldn't be fair to other people, I think I can at least testify that the experience has not been fun.

I made this initial post thinking about how fun all-_____ teams are, and how it would be fun to commemorate that per-AT but the response was overwhelmingly "No! Gimme everything! Me me me me me!" about an imaginary hypothetical thing. Kind of a buzzkill.

Never mind how easy it would be merely to suggest that maybe the badge gets triggered with a team size of 7 same-AT toons, awarding the badge to all, including an oddball 8th. This is an imaginary thing right now, there's no reason to bring all the baggage of previous game frustrations. It's called workshopping.

Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

The whole highfalutin revised idea, to appease the bloodthirsty masses:

Theme team badges awarded to a team of 7 or 8 matching ATs who complete a TF/SF

Oddball 8th spot also gets badge: Fly On the Wall - "Maybe if I stay real still nobody will notice..."

Overall event badge for 7 matching ATs: Bird of a Feather

A team of 8 matching ATs is awarded the Unified badge, credit to Greycat.

AT specific badges, which again will also be awarded to the 8th unmatching spot, because you gotta catch 'em all under threat of death to the guy who dared think up such a thing:

Tier 1: too good not to use:

Defender - The Best Offense

Controllers - Control Freak

Brute - Et Tu

Arachnos Soldier/Widow (probably easiest to put epic AT's together) - Arachnophilia (we already have an Arachnophobia badge so let's counter that)

Tier 2: Kinda iffy

Tanker - Tanks A Lot

Mastermind - Stampede / Stampede Participant

Dominator - Absolute Dominion

Warshade/Peace bringer - Squid Squad / It Came From SPACE!

Blaster - Had A Blast (naming seems pretty uninspired but who else are you gonna get this badge from?)

Tier 3: Could use some workshopping:

Sentinel - Keep Away (because nearly everyone should be fighting at range)

Scrapper - Hack and Slash

Corruptor - Irredeemable (with that much corrupting going on...) 

Stalker - A Whole Lotta Nothin' (in reference to a group of people being invis, not meant as a knock)

Ideally most of the badge titles would sound like good names for a thematic SG.

The descriptions of each would read either "You participated in an outing of all-_______s" or "You dropped in on a gathering of all _______s" (those blank spaces are for ATs not rude words!) 

And after all that? You can even get a friggin' accolade!

Didn't Get the Memo - "Everyone else was on the same page, but time and time again you stood out like a sore thumb."

AM I SAFE TO IMAGINE THIS IMAGINARY THING NOW WITHOUT STEPPING ON ANY TOES? *mutters* yelling at me like I locked you in to praetoria for 20 levels, yeesh... 

Edited by SpookTheHerd
  • Thumbs Up 1

I drawed things:

That is a serviceable version of the original idea.  Sorry about my deluge of negativity in pointing out that AT locked badges wouldnt be received well.  I had hoped it would inspire you to rework your idea into something more universally available,  not ruin your week.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

I dunno, speaking from the perspective of someone who was told I shouldn't bother imagining something because it wouldn't be fair to other people, I think I can at least testify that the experience has not been fun.

No one said you shouldn't bother imagining things. Imagine up the world, propose whatever you like. What was said was that limiting badges by AT takes away form other players' fun and desires, including their character concepts. Why should my character have to be a Controller to get the Control Freak badge? Other ATs also get controls, and even characters without a single control power can be a control freak, something the player may be proud of and want to announce. Especially if the character can manage battlefield control without actual control powers.

There is also the consideration that there are players that collect badges like a magpie collecting shinies. And it is extremely frustrating to see a badge and know you can never get it on that character, let alone 12 more badges that you will never be able to get on the character. Collecting badges is fun in its own right, and having badges in the game that can't be acquired steps on that fun too. From a personal point of view, it's like giving players like me the middle finger. "Behold all these new badges! You want them, don't you? Well, guess what? YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

5 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

I made this initial post thinking about how fun all-_____ teams are, and how it would be fun to commemorate that per-AT but the response was overwhelmingly "No! Gimme everything! Me me me me me!" about an imaginary hypothetical thing. Kind of a buzzkill.

All specific AT teams can be a lot of fun, yes. No one is arguing against that. See my first response in this post for what is actually being said.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct quotation mark to apostrophe.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

That is a serviceable version of the original idea.  Sorry about my deluge of negativity in pointing out that AT locked badges wouldnt be received well.  I had hoped it would inspire you to rework your idea into something more universally available,  not ruin your week.

Hey I'm not gonna get angry at the weather(person) because their forecast was accurate.

I drawed things: