A Genericked Name: a sililoquy by Ridiculous Girl

Ridiculous Girl

WARNING: actual usage of medical terminology relating to the female anatomy and other unseemly topics will be discussed here, the faint of heart probably should retreat to safer pages.

I'll abide by the decision that my alt was genericked, that is the right of the devs and the discretion of the GM that did it. But let me reassure you, the name Wandering Uterus is not offensive. Ridiculous certainly! But hardly offensive. Though apparently someone found it offensive enough to report it and a GM supported that claim. (Please don't refer me to the Code of Conduct, I know)

Seriously... the Wandering Uterus, a Peacebringer, was not meant to be offensive, it never even crossed my mind. It was meant to be funny. I know that is probably the claim of many that have had a named genericked. But is an actual legitimate psychological expression that has a very old origin, as well as being the root for the very appropriate modern word: HYSTERIA!!! Gasp!

The name Wandering Uterus was meant to be funny, since in its Bright Nova form that was basically what I thought it looked like when I named it 3 ½ years ago. (Hey! I am student of french psychoanalysis, what do you expect?) But it is a legitmate expression that has roots in history going way, way back.

Let me quote from the Wandering Uterus' own biography...

"The word hysteria derives from the Greek by Hystera (uterus). From this is derived the Hippocratic theory that hysteria was caused by the uterus wandering about the woman's body as a free organ, and hysteria was thus limited to women."(Theories of hysteria. Thomas A. H. McCulloch, M.D)

If that does not convince you let me quote the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA).

“The name hysteria is derived from the Greek word HYSTERA, which mean uterus. ...it is attributed to starvation or displacement of the uterus.” (Hysteria: The History of a Disease. Percival Bailey, MD)

Further from “Women And Hysteria In The History Of Mental Health” (Cecilia Tasca, et al.) published by the National Institute of Health (NIH)

“Then, he (the freakin OG HIPPOCRATES, my words) resumes the idea of a restless and migratory uterus and identifies the cause of the indisposition as poisonous stagnant humors which, due to an inadequate sexual life, have never been expelled. He asserts that a woman’s body is physiologically cold and wet and hence prone to putrefaction of the humors (as opposed to the dry and warm male body). For this reason, the uterus is prone to get sick, especially if it is deprived of the benefits arising from sex and procreation, which, widening a woman’s canals, promote the cleansing of the body. And he goes further; especially in virgins, widows, single, or sterile women, this “bad” uterus – since it is not satisfied - not only produces toxic fumes but also takes to wandering around the body, causing various kinds of disorders such as anxiety, sense of suffocation, tremors, sometimes even convulsions and paralysis. For this reason, he suggests that even widows and unmarried women should get married and live a satisfactory sexual life within the bounds of marriage.

That's all well and done, my point is that I am just really, really annoyed by this genericking of the Wandering Uterus and feel that it was unjust. She was just a level 26 Peacebringer, I can't really get into them, so i am just going to rename her the Venting Spleen and let her sit until I need to vent some more. But I doubt that anything will change by this, I have no real hope, what is done is done. I just really needed to vent about it, because seriously... lighten up!

Edited by Ridiculous Girl
accidentally published before the final touches of text :D
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

Wait! WTF! i got the official email while the servers were down, though it was sent yesterday, 16 september... But I just got back and had not posted my venting nor, more importantly, logged on, But apparently she is still the Wandering Uterus! Make up your minds, folks! I've been super annoyed all afternoon because of this, writing my sililoquy in my head.

Hi Ridiculous Girl,
A support request has been created for you.

Character Action: Wandering Uterus

The name of Wandering Uterus (Excelsior) was reset

The description of Wandering Uterus (Excelsior) was reset from:

"The word hysteria derives from the Greek by Hystera (uterus). From this is derived the Hippocratic theory that hysteria was caused by the uterus wandering about the woman's body as a free organ, and hysteria was thus limited to women."

The legends were TRUE! As proved by my existence!

Biography under construction

an Ridiculous Girl alt

You have had a character(s) genericized due to not adhering to our Code of Conduct with your character themes - please do not reset them back to their previous name or costume, this will result in a more severe action against your account. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation - please contact the HC team with any questions by replying to this support ticket.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/. Please review this to avoid any further infractions.

Maybe they will generic it after all, maybe not... I'm just going to leave this up anyways, because I think it is funny. 😁

• Haha 1

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Ridiculous Girl said:

WARNING: actual usage of medical terminology relating to the female anatomy and other unseemly topics will be discussed here, the faint of heart probably should retreat to safer pages.

I'll abide by the decision that my alt was genericked, that is the right of the devs and the discretion of the GM that did it. But let me reassure you, the name Wandering Uterus is not offensive. Ridiculous certainly! But hardly offensive. Though apparently someone found it offensive enough to report it and a GM supported that claim. (Please don't refer me to the Code of Conduct, I know)

Seriously... the Wandering Uterus, a Peacebringer, was not meant to be offensive, it never even crossed my mind. It was meant to be funny. I know that is probably the claim of many that have had a named genericked. But is an actual legitimate psychological expression that has a very old origin, as well as being the root for the very appropriate modern word: HYSTERIA!!! Gasp!

The name Wandering Uterus was meant to be funny, since in its Bright Nova form that was basically what I thought it looked like when I named it 3 ½ years ago. (Hey! I am student of french psychoanalysis, what do you expect?) But it is a legitmate expression that has roots in history going way, way back.

If that does not convince you let me quote the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA).

Further from “Women And Hysteria In The History Of Mental Health” (Cecilia Tasca, et al.) published by the National Institute of Health (NIH)

That's all well and done, my point is that I am just really, really annoyed by this genericking of the Wandering Uterus and feel that it was unjust. She was just a level 26 Peacebringer, I can't really get into them, so i am just going to rename her the Venting Spleen and let her sit until I need to vent some more. But I doubt that anything will change by this, I have no real hope, what is done is done. I just really needed to vent about it, because seriously... lighten up!

It was me. Apologies, I've been suitably chastised and am happy for you to rename it back 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Game Master

Wait! WTF! i got the official email while the servers were down, though it was sent yesterday, 16 september... But I just got back and had not posted my venting nor, more importantly, logged on, But apparently she is still the Wandering Uterus! Make up your minds, folks! I've been super annoyed all afternoon because of this, writing my sililoquy in my head.

Maybe they will generic it after all, maybe not... I'm just going to leave this up anyways, because I think it is funny. 😁

The server gods decided I was mistaken and the generic failed. I've cancelled the generic 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Allow me to congratulate you on remaining the Wandering Uterus!

I had a mastermind named Florence Nightingale genericked during covid. Her original name was Nurse Rona, genericked because too 'controversial', which I renamed Florence Nightingale who was promptly genericked again. I appealed on the forum and was told I couldn't use a real person's name.... who was a historical figure... erm. Yeah. 

Anyway, I have actually been aware of the ancient diagnosis of Wandering (or as I heard it 'Traveling') Uterus. My friends and I often use it as a label for whatever funky mood we might be in or weird sensation that doesn't last... brief tummy ache? Traveling uterus! Tripped over own feet? Traveling uterus! Some celeb behaving badly? They must have traveling uterus.

It pleases me to know Wandering Uterus is in Paragon protecting us all! 😄 

Below: might be a case of traveling uterus....

sb-steamroller.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ridiculous Girl said:

So why do you not use Hysteria?

But everyone is different.  The Great Balzak rarely sees the light of day due to prejudice 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't find it particularly offensive. But I don't find it particularly funny, either. It'd be like seeing a character named Phart Nokker.

No wait...I'd probably laugh at that one.:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

• Game Master
3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

So wait, all we need to do to reverse an arbitrary generic-ed decision is to publicly post here on the forums?

Nope. If they had messaged me privately the result would have been the same. As it was a public post I replied publicly. I could have hidden the post and replied privately, but I didn't want there to be accusations of hiding things. I'm always happy to put my hands up if I mess up and in this instance I did. Indeed, if a character is generic'd players are always at liberty to appeal the decision if they can come up with a reasonable argument as to why it should be allowed to stand. The lead GMs will then decide on whether to allow it or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

The server gods decided I was mistaken and the generic failed. I've cancelled the generic 🙂

i knew there was a heirarchy of GMs! was it the Arch-GM themselves that intervened? praise be the arch-GM! 😁

• Haha 1

i knew there was a heirarchy of GMs! was it the Arch-GM themselves that intervened? praise be the arch-GM! 😁

and possibly cheru-GMs and sera-GMs. i am now mentally picturing a cheru-GM (i won't name names) as a naked little police drone with angel wings and a bow. (don't ask me how they will hold the bow, telekinetically i suppose) 😁

9 minutes ago, Ridiculous Girl said:

and possibly cheru-GMs and sera-GMs. i am now mentally picturing a cheru-GM (i won't name names) as a naked little police drone with angel wings and a bow. (don't ask me how they will hold the bow, telekinetically i suppose) 😁

Can confirm, this is an accurate description of GM_Widower

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, momentarygrace said:

sb-steamroller.gif

Beauty shot, wonder if he can hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

11 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Indeed, if a character is generic'd players are always at liberty to appeal the decision if they can come up with a reasonable argument as to why it should be allowed to stand. The lead GMs will then decide on whether to allow it or not.

Good to know, thank you for shedding light on the process!

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Nope. If they had messaged me privately the result would have been the same. As it was a public post I replied publicly. I could have hidden the post and replied privately, but I didn't want there to be accusations of hiding things. I'm always happy to put my hands up if I mess up and in this instance I did. Indeed, if a character is generic'd players are always at liberty to appeal the decision if they can come up with a reasonable argument as to why it should be allowed to stand. The lead GMs will then decide on whether to allow it or not.

Okay.  Put your hands up....

Gun At The Ready - Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3 Episode 4 - TV Fanatic

This one time, at sniper camp

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The name Wandering Uterus was meant to be funny, since in its Bright Nova form that was basically what I thought it looked like when I named it 3 ½ years ago.

Well, to be complete, you should roll up a Warshade with the name RAM Truck Logo. Or Chrome Uterus, which would be the same thing.

image.png.b42dcad64a8c1f54fadc8bb27fce19b1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com