Torchbearer - LGBTQ Shard?

I wasn't aware there was a Pride channel. Is there a list of created global channels somewhere? It seems like a useful thing to have. I suppose any server could be unofficially announced as something if the relevant community agreed. The idea is to announce it so people gather there.

I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server.

Not this argument again, please.

It's 2019, they are welcome on any server, but some have various reasons why they are less comfortable being 'out' in a general public space, and would be more comfortable in an environment that was specifically tagged as friendly towards who they are. It has nothing to do with them not being welcome other places, or being 'segregated'.

• Like 1

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It's 2019, they are welcome on any server, but some have various reasons why they are less comfortable being 'out' in a general public space, and would be more comfortable in an environment that was specifically tagged as friendly towards who they are. It has nothing to do with them not being welcome other places, or being 'segregated'.

Bolding by me. All players should feel comfortable playing on all servers. That's not an argument, that's a basic principle of human decency.

Bolding by me. All players should feel comfortable playing on all servers. That's not an argument, that's a basic principle of human decency.

It's nice to have a safe space that is exclusively queer. Gay bars may be closing, but we still like to have a place to go where it's just us.

It's nice to have a safe space that is exclusively queer. Gay bars may be closing, but we still like to have a place to go where it's just us.

I don't think it's fair to presume that you can speak on behalf of all LGBT - I'm LGBT and I feel that it's the people who can't accept LGBT who should need to segregate themselves into a safe space. We exist, we're a part of Planet Earth, and they need to get over it and be decent to their fellow humans or go separate themselves until they can be.

• Like 1

They should and I have not seen people having problems with LGBT on any of the servers I have been on. But I am one person and not everywhere. So calling for an unofficial Pride server is less about finding a safe place and more about putting out a call for like minded people to gather, the way we have the RP and PVP servers. It is by no means required, and not all RP, PVP or LGBT people are going to be restricted there. I think about and participate in RP regardless of server, but with Everlasting being dubbed the unofficial RP server I decided to settle there, with the thought that I'll have more chance to commonly be around 'my people' who like to RP in game. The same would be true with an unofficial Pride server. It's not a restriction or a requirement. Just letting people know there will probably be a higher concentration of LGBT people there.

As far as why it's important... it's mostly comfort level. I know it's *current year argument* and people shouldn't be afraid. But the fact is, we still are and for good reason. LGBT people, especially those of color, still face a lot of discrimination and hatred. And the last thing we want is to deal with it in our escapist media as well. So for a lot of LGBT that I know including myself who has been open publicly for years are less forthcoming about it when going into a new area with new people until we can feel the room as it were. It's basic survival really. Having a space that specifically says 'Hey.. Here you can be open. No judgement, no hate.' means a lot. Being who I am most of my characters are female and attracted to women to some degree because that's who I am. I don't think I've made an explicitly straight person in the game yet, though a number of them I have not given much thought to their sexuality or history. Not as much as more often played characters, so who knows. But I still hesitate to bring up their sexuality... It feels awkward because of a lifetime of being repressed and fearful. Having a place where I know it's all cool would be a bit of a relief.

Which all said I would vote for Everlasting to be the unofficial Pride server, but that's only because most of my characters are settled there. :) Purely selfish on my part for not wanting to spread out too much. I do have people on Torchbearer and have had some on Excelsior though, from when they were the option. So I'm happy with wherever.

I'd like to believe that in 2019, LGBT individuals are welcome on any server.

This right here.

I have read the comments that flowed this one, all I can say is, I play on Excelsior, what some have deemed the "Family" server. I am sure I have played with many LGBT people...and not once were any of them denied the human right to exist and play a game. The LGBT are a part of us, not separate. So play whatever server you wish. It is your right...and like the quoted post says, you are welcomed anywhere. Separate yourselves if you wish, that is your choice, but to do so takes you a step in the wrong direction.

Let's just put this one to bed.

People are people. All people are ok.

All good people are welcome, and our unique facets make us all valuable.

Everyone good is welcome everywhere, and there's no discrimination, of any form.

We live, we love, we grow and we learn.

Together, always, in all things.

That's fair, but on the one hand, the thing about (gay) bars that doesn't apply to CoX* is that it's a space where it's acknowledged that flirting tends to happen, or people go there to try and start a relationship, so the existence of gay bars makes sense for people who don't want embarrassing misunderstandings or worse. CoX is not that, it's a game.

On the other hand, if you're really looking for safe places like that, SGs might be a much better start.

Last thing: with virtual safe spaces, you really can't enforce the exclusion of people who don't meet certain criteria (in this case, people who are LGBT). The best bet is still to ensure the larger community is polite and folks don't feel free to act like morons because they think like morons. That's what reporting is for, and from what I understand, the server's managers are not on the intolerant side.

* If you use CoX the same way, well, I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, but not only are you going to be severely disappointed, but you also should be made aware of other applications and games that will make your life much easier in that aspect.

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

We're getting pretty far afield of the original post, which simply asked if Torchbearer was the unofficial LGBTQ server.  It's a harmless question, no different from earlier threads asking if Everlasting was the unofficial RP server.  All this everyone-is-welcome stuff is fine, great, fantastic, let's all sing Kumbaya...but none of it actually addresses the question.  Is Torchbearer the unofficial LGBTQ server or not?

If it isn't, I say just come to Everlasting, y'all, so the queer RPers aren't left out in the cold.

We're getting pretty far afield of the original post, which simply asked if Torchbearer was the unofficial LGBTQ server.  It's a harmless question, no different from earlier threads asking if Everlasting was the unofficial RP server.  All this everyone-is-welcome stuff is fine, great, fantastic, let's all sing Kumbaya...but none of it actually addresses the question.  Is Torchbearer the unofficial LGBTQ server or not?

If it isn't, I say just come to Everlasting, y'all, so the queer RPers aren't left out in the cold.

I guess the topic got on a slight tangent because asking if there's an unofficial LGBTQ server because, to several people, it makes as much sense as asking if there's an unofficial man server, or an unofficial woman server, or an unofficial old people server?

Part-time table flipper

Global: Skathi the Huntress

I mean, if the community want to designate an "unofficial bigots server", as a place for players who are discriminatory to have as their "safe space" where they can pretend that it's not 2019 and they can pretend their backwards ideas have any merit, that'd be fine. Then all of the people who can't be decent and respectful to other humans can go there and be crappy to each other while the rest of us have fun on all of the other servers.

• Haha 1

Ooh can we have an unofficial old people server? Maybe some place where I don't have to yell at the kids to get of my lawn.

An unofficial LBGTQAARP - The server for gay people over 50.

I don't know if this answers the question, but there are quite a few LGBTQ+ SG's on Torchbearer.

As for why I like to know which is the unofficial LGBTQ+ server, it is because I have a tendency to say things that may shock some people who are not of like mind.

Like last night, I dropped an embarrassing mistell in the help channel.. everyone there laughed it off.. I am glad I did it on Torchbearer and not on an RP server...

Here's where you lost me. It's one thing to say "this thing here reflects our values and respects us, let's come together and show our appreciation" and "let's not let anyone else in." If you want a server that's exclusively queer that necessarily implies that you are not permitting people who are not queer.

I think so far the official “unofficial” designations have been by playstyle - Roleplay, PVP, been proposed to have an unofficial “villains” server.  All these are tied into how you play the game, not who you are.  So I think from an official “unofficial” server identity we leave it at that.

I think it would smart policy for HC to stay out of this, lest they be accused of playing politics or encouraging bias

What you do unofficially unofficially is entirely up to the players.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Whoa whoa whoa. This thread has gotten crazy.

It's clear from the first couple of posts that the intent here isn't to designate a server for the LGBTQ community to turtle together on in fear or take over and not let others in. Most of us realize the community is generally accepting of all people. This is simply about a subcommunity wanting to know if there is a hub to make teaming and events within that subcommunity easier. Trying to make it about more than that is just trying to start a fight for no reason.

• Like 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

I don't think it's fair to presume that you can speak on behalf of all LGBT - I'm LGBT and I feel that it's the people who can't accept LGBT who should need to segregate themselves into a safe space. We exist, we're a part of Planet Earth, and they need to get over it and be decent to their fellow humans or go separate themselves until they can be.

I mean, if the community want to designate an "unofficial bigots server", as a place for players who are discriminatory to have as their "safe space" where they can pretend that it's not 2019 and they can pretend their backwards ideas have any merit, that'd be fine. Then all of the people who can't be decent and respectful to other humans can go there and be crappy to each other while the rest of us have fun on all of the other servers.

The projecting here is unreal.