[OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for January 27th, 2024 - Issue 27, Page 7 - Build 2

• City Council
10 hours ago, Duuk said:

Could I suggest that the long range teleporter be unlocked at 8 badges and not 10?  Right now it can be unlocked with 1 zone of exploration, which is 8 badges.  Making it change to 10 badges changes it from a level 1 unlock to a level 8ish unlock.

Counterpoint is that with 8 badges you can get them all in Atlas and then you have a new shiny teleporter than only goes to... Atlas. Where you already are. You still have to get at least one more badge to unlock any other destinations, which isn't a great feeling for a new player.

10 badges ensures that it actually has some use when you unlock it.

Either way, feedback on that particular feature should go here:

Long term (and somewhat unfocused) feedback related to both Dominators and Controllers and the new Arsenal sets: I'm glad these have been added for natural/tech themed character concepts - and it would be nice if eventually an Epic/APP could be created for these AT's that is also on theme as well. Closest they have right now is the Mace Mastery Pool, but that is less "I CAST GUN!" and more "SPOOKY ARACHNOS POWERS GO!".

Edited by OverkillEngine

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Folks, if you want to know if something is in a patch, just read the patch notes...  Or just search them for "base".

Hmm. I searched for "base" In this topic. My success rate with the search feature in this forums is really, really not good, and "base" is actually a fairly common word. Funny thing, I got one page of results and none of them were the actual part in the patch notes that referred to the base items.

Do you have a lot of time, Doc? I would bet a lot of people don't read all of the patch notes. Especially not when they are 70 pages.  Or even a super long scroll. I think most people look for what interests them. And point being, the new base items were one of a very few things hidden. Miscellaneous fixes, they were there. AE changes? Oh yeah. Every new tweak to costumes? YEAH! At length!  Small bug fixes? Yeah. Graphics issues? Sure!  Some people are slow readers, and I am a fast reader, and it still was a lot to wade through before I found the base items, and I already knew they were there. And I entirely MISSED the new player changes, and that was originally what I'd gone to see! But that, too, was hidden, tho, hidden at the top. I wasn't expecting it to be labeled "Build 2 Changes".

But it's easy to miss things when they are buried, which is why I made the points I did. Why is it buried? Why should we have to search to find them (when it works)? And why not make the notes more convenient and easier for people to peruse and find what they are interested in by collapsing most if not all of the sections? Treat all the information and categories the same. As I mentioned, base items are not even in the table of contents, and I'd like to point out that there are literally hundreds of people who are interested in new base items. Maybe some are on the forums, maybe some aren't, but it's still a significant group in the player base, and for many, bases either ARE the game for them, or make the game as enjoyable as it is. So I feel that changes to base building deserve as much emphasis as other topics.

If they don't want to hide everything, I would want to know why. Why are headlines alone at the bottom of a long scroll good enough for some things, but not all things? If hiding things is less desirable, then nothing should be hidden. Things should perhaps be separated into pages and linked to a table of contents that actually lists ALL the categories. This isn't a newspaper that you have to read all of it to find the tiny mention on page 45, this is a forum on the internet, where we can link to things for easy navigation! Wouldn't it be great to take advantage of that?

-Dacy

• City Council

The base items aren't meant to be hidden away, it's more just a case of us condensing extraneous, unsurprising detail (it's why all the detailed Epic changes are hidden by default, as they are all summarised in the various paragraphs above the hidden block).

I do agree that these notes aren't the easiest thing to navigate. It's just too long and there isn't really a good solution 😄

Future updates will hopefully be smaller and easier to process (and come more frequently!).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Can we get the new base items added to the table of contents so all of us base builders don't have to hunt for the cool stuff you added for us? 😄

Yay base items!

Edited by Wravis
  • Like 1

Give me money to draw your characters!

Visit one of the public RP spaces I've made on Everlasting!
Cabin-8752 - Funplex-11364 - Crash-15210 - Law-18824 - Exploreonfoot-20176 - Upside-14574 - Boardwalk-23004 - Gym-25035 - Chicken-25922 - Campus-25500 - Choochoo-28184

1 hour ago, Wravis said:

Can we get the new base items added to the table of contents so all of us base builders don't have to hunt for the cool stuff you added for us? 😄

It's already there:

image.thumb.png.8e1bb8576ed3f940cd5b97d1d3677740.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for reversing NC's snap...

@Lightyears - Excelsior

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

I do agree that these notes aren't the easiest thing to navigate. It's just too long and there isn't really a good solution

Encouraging people to use their browser search function to find information in a post (rather than the forum search function) would help some.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

1 hour ago, Lightyears said:

It's already there:

That's not the Table of Contents. That's the actual category. Under the Table of Contents, we apparently fall under "and much, much more".

That actually made me a little sad. I thought someone had gone and realized, oh no, we forgot to put that in! And had edited it in. But, no. Got my hopes up and everything.

The point is not, hey, we can search for it. The point is not, oh look, there it is....yeah, way far down and hidden, but oh look, it's there. The point is that the presentation of the base items feels very much like an afterthought. Like it doesn't matter. And basebuilders are here saying, yes it does. It does to US.

However, I like that Jimmy responded so quickly, and yes, I've already set up one shot, and we're working on more.  As for the announcement of such a size being difficult to navigate, there are a couple of options.

1. Have the category titles have collapsing Hidden Contents so that it's easy to see everything quickly and open the areas each person is interested in.
  2. Have each category actually be a link to a post in the topic (with a link at the end to return you to the table of contents/categories). @Easter Bunny did this when asked to tidy up the pins in the base editing topic. Now all the pins that are there for building help and information are now condensed into one post, and each topic links to a post containing that information.

It's very possible to make even long posts more user friendly, but it will take a bit of formatting.

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

@Dacy @Aalya if you want to get me a pretty screenshot featuring a bunch of new base items we can then include it in the patch notes so that section is a bit more visible 🙂

Thank you, Jimmy!
I came here to mention what a pleasant surprise it was to find SG Base items included in the release. My heart sank a bit at first glance when I thought there weren’t any!

Thanks for the invitation to include pictures. I love the suggestion of an expandable list of content headings or a TOC post that links to detail sections.

I play the game a lot for immersion in the theme and the bases are such a delight to aid the belief in the character. I have seen the base building facilities in some other games and they pale into insignificance against the tools that Homecoming provided when they added the extra controls to the base editor. The works of art that have been created (despite the limitations of the underlying editor) are so amazing that they create a serious thirst for additional capabilities. Such artistry deserves support.
Thank you a million times over. Keep up the amazing work!

• Like 1

Captain Matsiyan, Office of Naval Intelligence, Terran Stellar Navy

Community Base Directory   •  Base Building Guide  •  City of Base Building Discord Add to Bases Guestbook

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

Counterpoint is that with 8 badges you can get them all in Atlas and then you have a new shiny teleporter than only goes to... Atlas. Where you already are. You still have to get at least one more badge to unlock any other destinations, which isn't a great feeling for a new player.

10 badges ensures that it actually has some use when you unlock it.

Either way, feedback on that particular feature should go here:

Counter-counterpoint: SG base and Echo Plaza

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

5 hours ago, Dacy said:

That's not the Table of Contents. That's the actual category. Under the Table of Contents, we apparently fall under "and much, much more".

That actually made me a little sad. I thought someone had gone and realized, oh no, we forgot to put that in! And had edited it in. But, no. Got my hopes up and everything.

The point is not, hey, we can search for it. The point is not, oh look, there it is....yeah, way far down and hidden, but oh look, it's there. The point is that the presentation of the base items feels very much like an afterthought. Like it doesn't matter. And basebuilders are here saying, yes it does. It does to US.

However, I like that Jimmy responded so quickly, and yes, I've already set up one shot, and we're working on more.  As for the announcement of such a size being difficult to navigate, there are a couple of options.

1. Have the category titles have collapsing Hidden Contents so that it's easy to see everything quickly and open the areas each person is interested in.
  2. Have each category actually be a link to a post in the topic (with a link at the end to return you to the table of contents/categories). @Easter Bunny did this when asked to tidy up the pins in the base editing topic. Now all the pins that are there for building help and information are now condensed into one post, and each topic links to a post containing that information.

It's very possible to make even long posts more user friendly, but it will take a bit of formatting.

-Dacy

COH has a massive base builder community .. just saying that it seems we are getting a bit left out in the updates guys.....
Can we get maybe better accessibity for the base parts and MAYBE the ability to scale them? Gods there are so many things to ask for, i dont want to make that list ...  Please DEVS.. help us a bit too?
(( boy wouldnt plaques/signs you click to get a chat message be cool? ))

• City Council
18 hours ago, Dacy said:
  1. Have each category actually be a link to a post in the topic (with a link at the end to return you to the table of contents/categories). @Easter Bunny did this when asked to tidy up the pins in the base editing topic. Now all the pins that are there for building help and information are now condensed into one post, and each topic links to a post containing that information.

This is the ideal solution but it's much, much harder for the team to maintain as we move from build to build. I wish we could create anchor links inside posts, but sadly the forum doesn't support it 😞

• Like 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Jimmy changed the title to [Open Beta] Patch Notes for January 27th, 2024 - Issue 27, Page 7 - Build 2
  • Cobalt Arachne changed the title to [OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for January 27th, 2024 - Issue 27, Page 7 - Build 2
  • Jimmy locked this topic
  • Jimmy unpinned this topic