The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Commenter control

2 hours ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

Allow us to delete user comments in topics we create and/or allow us to block them from commenting in the post.

There's an ignore feature on these forums. Otherwise as long as it stays within the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service, that's the internet. There's also GMs that moderate content on the forums also. 

• Thanks 1

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

7 hours ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

Allow us to delete user comments in topics we create and/or allow us to block them from commenting in the post.

You do not "own" the threads you post there, only the posts you actually create.  Why should the thread creator be able to restrict who can comment or reply to them, as long as said responders aren't violating the overall forum rules?

I have made bad recommendations and I want to know.  the best things come from civil discourse often. 

If you feel you are being harassed then by all means report snd block.  

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

6 hours ago, biostem said:

Why should the thread creator be able to restrict who can comment or reply to them, as long as said responders aren't violating the overall forum rules?

There's a lot of people (especially in the suggestions forum) who don't think people should be allowed to comment on their posts unless they agree with the poster.   This poster has recently encountered some rather sharp criticism, so I suspect they're coming from that angle as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

There's a lot of people (especially in the suggestions forum) who don't think people should be allowed to comment on their posts unless they agree with the poster.   This poster has recently encountered some rather sharp criticism, so I suspect they're coming from that angle as well.

I never stated this so don't put words in my mouth. We're free to make suggestions in this forum and those who are in charge of the forum are free to accept or reject these suggestions as they see fit.

Back when the game was live I stopped commenting in the forums due to the sheer level of vitriol and unwarranted flame wars that used to happen when discussing certain topics. When we made occasional requests to have pistols before they were added (suggested as "pistol scrapping" back then) it caused floods of infuriated people who would crap all over the idea and seem legitimately offended by the suggestion. "There will never be pistols in City of Heroes! Can not happen will not happen! Stop asking about it!" and then the dev team gave us Dual Pistols. We would propose the idea that the dev team allow us to modify the FX of powers and allow us to choose which specific weapon was drawn for War Mace and Assault Rifle and there would be more people vehemently opposed to it commenting in the thread than there were forum users who were in support of the idea. I remember arguments over the suggestions getting seriously ugly and requiring forum admins to step in and start warning people to calm down and stop making personal attacks over it. Even when we finally got this feature these same people were still sore about it for some unexplained reason. I guess certain forum members who declared The Card Says Moops make the viewpoint their entire personality and feel "cheated" when the feature they're firmly convinced won't happen is granted after all. Even 20 years later I guess some things never change.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

53 minutes ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

I never stated this so don't put words in my mouth.

I chose my words with care, and did not say anything that could possibly be interpreted as claiming you stated that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

Anyhow, vitriol control is the mod's job, not the players.  (And I've seen some amazingingly low key disagreements get labeled "hate" and "vitriolic".)  This ability is far too easily abused both by players who can't or won't face criticism of their idea and/or by players who wish to create the appearance of solid support for their idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

I never stated this so don't put words in my mouth.

He specifically said "a lot of people." Are you "a lot of people"? No, you're JebidiahBeetus. So he clearly wasn't talking about you.

Maybe you're not aware of this, but many of us have noticed over the last 5 years that we're been posting on this forum that people will post a suggestion and then absolutely lose their marbles and attack anyone who disagrees with their suggestion. Even if someone mostly agrees, but just wants to tweak the suggestion slightly, posters will often go off on them.

Now I'm not saying that you would do this, and Doc did not say that you would do this, but if your suggestion is implemented those people who freak out when people disagree with their suggestion will use the ability that you're suggesting to delete every post, and block every poster, who disagrees with them.

People disagreeing with suggestions is a good thing. How do you know if most people like the suggestion if the OP can simply delete the posts that disagree? How do the developers know? And lastly, how will you know if your suggestion is a good one or not if people aren't allowed to disagree with it?

• Thanks 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

Back when the game was live I stopped commenting in the forums due to the sheer level of vitriol and unwarranted flame wars that used to happen when discussing certain topics. When we made occasional requests to have pistols before they were added (suggested as "pistol scrapping" back then) it caused floods of infuriated people who would crap all over the idea and seem legitimately offended by the suggestion. "There will never be pistols in City of Heroes! Can not happen will not happen! Stop asking about it!" and then the dev team gave us Dual Pistols. We would propose the idea that the dev team allow us to modify the FX of powers and allow us to choose which specific weapon was drawn for War Mace and Assault Rifle and there would be more people vehemently opposed to it commenting in the thread than there were forum users who were in support of the idea. I remember arguments over the suggestions getting seriously ugly and requiring forum admins to step in and start warning people to calm down and stop making personal attacks over it. Even when we finally got this feature these same people were still sore about it for some unexplained reason. I guess certain forum members who declared The Card Says Moops make the viewpoint their entire personality and feel "cheated" when the feature they're firmly convinced won't happen is granted after all. Even 20 years later I guess some things never change.

You want an echo chamber, a dead space where only people who agree with you are allowed a voice.  You want to take away other peoples' right to speak, to have an opinion, to disagree.  What you want is antithetical to the very nature of a forum, a public place where people can openly discuss things.

That's exactly what I meant when I said "fascist activity".

Nope.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

There have been quite  a few posters in the past that have attacked anyone who said anything that wasn't in full agreement with their suggestions.  Just because of that, I'm against this one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later
On 1/26/2024 at 8:57 PM, JebidiahBeetus said:

vgLfgza.gif

Anyone can make a suggestion and anyone on the forums, player, Mad, or Dev can provide feedback. If the 'Suggestions & Feedback' section was not meant to include player feedback on other's suggestions, then it would have been set up like support tickets system. Same goes for replies in just about any other thread on the forums.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:22 PM, Luminara said:

You want an echo chamber, a dead space where only people who agree with you are allowed a voice.  You want to take away other peoples' right to speak, to have an opinion, to disagree.  What you want is antithetical to the very nature of a forum, a public place where people can openly discuss things.

That's exactly what I meant when I said "fascist activity".

Nope.

This is how "I" read the OP's post, so that's a big Nope for me. All reasons have already been stated.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)