Villainy.

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

Going around killing new players in Atlas Park is griefing.  It is NOT villainous.  Go watch the South Park WOW episode.  

You want PvP?  Put on your big boy pants and  head over to Recluse’s Victory…. Or did you try that and they handed you your head back all gift wrapped?🎁  So now you want to beat down on the new players we have coming on?

Griefing and harming innocent people is the epitome of villainy, and so is being an asshole to people. How can you say griefing somebody isn't villainous? That's like saying: "Changing an overflowing-diarrhea-diaper isn't messy. It's the dry turds that take the most baby wipes to clean up."

• Thumbs Down 4

i mean, perhaps a zone event where a portal opens in atlas park and turns certain contained, visible areas into a PvP arena where there’s no debt, but perma deleting someones alt at random is bit too brutal haha

1 hour ago, eldriyth said:

Griefing and harming innocent people is the epitome of villainy, and so is being an asshole to people.

C’mon.  People play this game to have fun.  You are demanding the Dev Team give you permission to make their game time miserable 

Your statement gives me permission to say horrid things to you.  I will not. That would be unnecessary.  You seem to dislike reality enough as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, eldriyth said:

Griefing and harming innocent people is the epitome of villainy, and so is being an asshole to people. How can you say griefing somebody isn't villainous? That's like saying: "Changing an overflowing-diarrhea-diaper isn't messy. It's the dry turds that take the most baby wipes to clean up."

EVE Online is that way. ------>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conversationally speaking; I could see the Devs setting up a PVP server...for all of maybe a week before it was overcome by rolling sage brush and declared a ghost town and shut down again. 

I do believe the zones set up for such battles already are more than sufficient for those so inclined. Only reason I've ever visited said zones is simply due to my enjoying exploring new places...not for any desire to compete with others over who can create the most face plants. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Go0gleplex said:

Conversationally speaking; I could see the Devs setting up a PVP server...for all of maybe a week before it was overcome by rolling sage brush and declared a ghost town and shut down again. 

I do believe the zones set up for such battles already are more than sufficient for those so inclined. Only reason I've ever visited said zones is simply due to my enjoying exploring new places...not for any desire to compete with others over who can create the most face plants. 

We had an unofficial PvP server and-- it's not anymore. Turns out, over the last 20+ years, PvP isn't as popular as everyone used to think it was. We've also learned that people don't like being ganked, as a rule, and opt-in is the optimal strategy to make (almost) all parties happy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

6 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

While not exactly giving the 'element of surprise' completely, there already are PVP zones where door missions are available to do.

Would like to see more door missions added to a zone like Warburg for example where its a free for all, maybe more sprinkling of special badges or rewards for completing them.

Or make Kallisti with a distinct dividing line down the middle, one side blue other side red.  Blue door missions in red side and vice versa.

In Warburg there is a complicated open map game whereby you get a Warburg Nuke.  This is VERY nice in high end content and hoarded by players as a special temp in hard challenges.

6 hours ago, Go0gleplex said:

Your speculation is as close to fact as can be without actually putting it to the test, imo.  I like this game...a lot.  I play this game...a lot.  I play PvP in other mmos, but not this one. 

• Like 2
  • Banjo 1

Torchbearer

/jranger for extreme stupidity.

"Yeah we got our game back let's fuck it up for the community now!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:45 PM, El D said:

Let me see if I've got this straight. Your objective is to implement the ability to deliberately target other players with PvP, in non-PvP zones, and allow attacking players the opportunity to possibly lock their targets out of accessing certain characters entirely? Then if the locked out character doesn't have a ransom paid the character gets deleted? And you want the playerbase and the devs to support this suggestion?

I couldn't help but notice the suggestion didn't involve deleting the villain character when they were defeated and sent to prison for life after being beaten in Atlas Park.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Random Axis said:

I couldn't help but notice the suggestion didn't involve deleting the villain character when they were defeated and sent to prison for life after being beaten in Atlas Park.

Of course not. Like any troll and/or bully, the OP wants an activity that is fun and completely safe for himself while being awful for his victims fellow players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

EVE Online is that way. ------>

This is the most correct answer.

Check out EVE online. You can do whatever you can get away with, and everything ultimately has a real-world $$ value, so you can literally harm people out of game. Good hunting capsuleer!

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Redside content kind of lacks on the villainy front in several ways.

First, you're mostly just a flunky, doing what you're told. Sure, you sometimes get the option to double-cross your contact, but you're never *REALLY* in command of your own destiny, even after Lord Recluse acknowledges you as a true villain. You still just do what you're told. There are few missions that feel like real schemes to dominate the world, or even a portion of it. Not even just get filthy rich. You just go find somebody who did the real villainous part and do what he tells you to do. That works for heroes, because heroism is a fundamentally reactive endeavor. You're not there to pursue your agenda, you're there as a hero to stop the bad guys from ruining everything in the pursuit of *THEIR* agendas.

Second, it was all developed in the mindset of "The villains aren't allowed to win." Any *TRULY* grandiose villainous scheme is destined to fail. So you may kidnap a few victims to deliver to Vahz for pocket change, but you're not going to blow up city hall or hijack a Rikti ship to do an Independence Day on any target anybody has actually seen. You won't lure Praetorian Hamidon into Primal Paragon City to distract all the heroes while you steal all the tech from Portal Corp. Even if you try, you'll fail, because the status quo must always be maintained. And maintaining the status quo is what heroes do. Villains are agents of change, and change is forbidden.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:34 PM, eldriyth said:

#3: This would make villains a lot scarier. It would make it where city of heroes is not just sitting around diddling yourself and basking in your cosmetic glory in sanctuary. You have to actually be careful and watch out like real life.

This ^^^^ sentence 2 reminds me of where I real life work.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

On 1/30/2024 at 1:34 PM, eldriyth said:

I want to see some features where you can actually be a real villain. This includes:

#1: Earn a "true villain" power with a long mission or badge that grants you the ability to show up in Atlas park and actually murder roleplayers or other heroes chilling there. They literally have no say if they're in pvp mode or not. I mean, people don't know when villains strike in real life, so it only makes sense.

#2: You have the ability to kidnap Heroes and hold them for ransom to their guilds. If the player is sold off they get to play again within 24 hours. If the ransom isn't met their character is perma dead.

#3: This would make villains a lot scarier. It would make it where city of heroes is not just sitting around diddling yourself and basking in your cosmetic glory in sanctuary. You have to actually be careful and watch out like real life.

I have no words but I do have a video aimed right at the OP!

• Haha 4

On 1/31/2024 at 10:13 AM, eldriyth said:

Griefing and harming innocent people is the epitome of villainy, and so is being an asshole to people. 

I get it! You don't want your character to be a villain -- you want to be a villain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1