Wanted to Introduce Myself....and ask questions

WuTang

Hi everyone! So been playing CoH a few weeks now and so far it's pretty great. The playstyle, the customizability in character creation (almost overwhelming and quite amazing), the vastness of powers, the enhancements (which was confusing at first), the AH (which is still kicking my butt)... Everything adds up to a really good experience. No "but" either.

I'm still in the new-boy phase where I'm just cloning my favorite super heroes from the comics so haven't gotten too exotic or original yet, though I did just create a "magic" Hulk as a Brute with dark melee and willpower armor. I did an original science super strength and invulnerability brute Hulk but it felt like I pigeonholed the toon, though I fully intend on leveling him out at some point. Oh I lied...did create an original Brute with energy/radiation fun combo so far. Also wanted to say....some of y'all have some incredible imaginations when it came to character creation. 

I came from playing WoW since vanilla and played Star Wars Galaxy before that and before that it was Doom 2 Team Fortress over my 56k modem, good ol'days...also first and last 1st person shooter I've ever played. I prefer a game with some meat to it, SWG almost had too much meat, huge sandbox.

Any ways, so far I seem to be partial to the Brutes, I've always preferred melee to range, and always like a side of tankiness with my damage. Am thinking about building a Tanker, are Tankers and Tanks the same thing? I ask because in creation you can select Tank or Melee but then Tanker is included in the melee set.

If y'all haven't figured it out yet, I suffer dearly from the same affliction alot of y'all do....altoholism.

The AH, man that is dog eat dog... You vets show no mercy, all good though. But I'm getting the hang of it...somewhat. I'm not raking in 100s of mil but I've socked away a few mil....nothing to brag about but it keeps the lights on.

Enhancements, what are "SO" etc? IOs are the sets, right?

Any who... I keep getting interupted which might make all this seem disjointed or maybe that's just my mind today.

I will have follow-up questions....

Thanks in advance! 

- WT

P.S. great community btw!

Edited by WuTang
  • Like 5

Welcome.  I am terrible at AH but there are a few guides.  I use a boring grindy system. I play a toon. As i play i get recipes and merits. I use the ATM at the corner of the AH to turn merits into enhancement converters.  I craft the recipe.  I convert that crafted I/O invention origin enhancer into one of the ones that sell.  I make a few mill off each transaction.  The drop down menu on enhancment converter screen to top right is the key to guiding the odds and direction to your goal.  Goals are generally res, def, end mod (perf shift proc) and some says heals.  Then convert those to specific high traffic i/os in each type like perf shifter proc.  Learn procs and globals. What sells.  SO is singl Origin enhancement available from shop (person) standing to ms liberty’s left. And a thousand other places in game.    I think if you send an email to @yomo he is still slowly handing out 100 million to everyone 

Welcome and good luck!

• Thumbs Up 3

Welcome to Paragon City!

Yes, Tanks and Tankers are the same thing.

Enhancements are: Training Origin (TOs), Dual Origin (DOs), Single Origin (SOs), Invention Origin (IOs), and there are a few other rare types.

P.S. Send an in game email to @Yomo and he'll send you 100 million Influence, the in-game currency. He does this for new players cause he's cool like that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Left 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

First of all, Welcome and glad you are enjoying yourself!

Second, a warning about creating IP characters, don't. Since back in Legacy days, players have been pretty protective of CoH and will report characters that that violate the IP restriction. There are several threads that can be searched here in General regarding the subject.

Regarding Tanks(Tankers) and Melee, think of Melee as a category or playstyle, so all Tanks are Melee but not all melee are Tanks. This is just a method for narrowing down the Archetypes that will be displayed on the next tab in the character creator, so if you select 'Melee' then it will remove Crowd Control, Support, Pets etc.

There are numerous guides for builds int the Archetype section of the forums and AH (Action House) guides down in the Guides section, likely in The Market section as well.

Lastly, Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

9 minutes ago, Go0gleplex said:

Yes, Tanker and Tank are the same AT.  If you do want a ranged change of pace and still have a bit of tank flavor, Sentinel is decent though its melee side is only average at best.  Enjoy the game! 

I'm might just do that. So it's like a mid-ranged fighter?

Also @Techwright posted a pretty concise list of acronyms here:

There is one on the wiki that hast nearly everything, but @Techwright points out the ones you will come across the most.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

5 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Second, a warning about creating IP characters, don't.

How do you mean? And I searched for "IP restrictions" and "IP charaters" and nothing but your post here is coming up.

7 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I'm might just do that. So it's like a mid-ranged fighter?

It is very good training wheels toon. At the deep water end of the game many feel (sooo true) that the damage nerfs on Sentinels Ranged sets and their mediocre armor makes them the worst of both worlds. Some rabid, delusional, (much loved) members of the Community swear by them.  Choose wisely.  Wait, you have a thousand character slots on each server. Go nutz

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, WuTang said:

How do you mean? And I searched for "IP restrictions" and "IP charaters" and nothing but your post here is coming up.

Intellectual Property.  Original toons owned by megacorps.  My image is Nosferatu, which is public domain. 

• Thumbs Up 3

IP meaning Intellectual Property in this case.

The terms of service disallow you from making characters that are copies of copyrighted characters. Or near copies.

It would suck big time if the game had to shut down because Marvel sued it out of existence  for letting people make Wolverine clones. 

• Thumbs Up 2

@WuTang more like a mid-power rather than mid-range since it gets a higher defense (though less than a tank) at the cost of its melee power while it has a high ranged attack (though less than a blaster). But like most ATs, it's how you play 'em that decides how effective they are. :)   As Snarks said, some hate 'em while others love 'em.  I've had nothing but good results from them and tend to mow mobs down with near impunity myself though I've yet to reach above the 40's range yet due to my Alt-SQUIRREL!-itis. 😄 

Edited by Go0gleplex
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, WuTang said:

If you want to see the various discussions, I'd suggest searching "infringement".

Regardless of players opinions on the subject of IP infringement, here's what Homecoming states:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/terms/

also here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#copyright

Relevant portion to your particular question:

image.png.167d40fea0c6d157570249bb1da5700f.png

I'd rather this welcome to CoH thread didn't turn into another IP discussion. :)

Many folks that are new to the game often base their first character on their favourite comic heroes/villains, branching out after that and creating your own is where the fun really is that and only limited by the imagination.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Ohai new friend you bring teh donuts?

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

7 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

If you want to see the various discussions, I'd suggest searching "infringement".

Regardless of players opinions on the subject of IP infringement, here's what Homecoming states:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/terms/

also here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/#copyright

Relevant portion to your particular question:

image.png.167d40fea0c6d157570249bb1da5700f.png

I'd rather this welcome to CoH thread didn't turn into another IP discussion. :)

Many folks that are new to the game often base their first character on their favourite comic heroes/villains, branching out after that and creating your own is where the fun really is that and only limited by the imagination.

Enjoy!

I didn't mean literal clones...just power base and origin. Though I did make my Hulk guys big with unnatural skin color, niether are green, or any other color I remember any of the Hulks being, but do have green somewhere in the overall scheme as a nod. One is shirtless and just wears shorts, the other is shirtless in a sleeveless trench coat with pants and shoes. Ah well if I get reported I get reported and hopefully they'll give me a free name change or whatever is need for compliance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Welcome aboard! Now as a newbie, your first task is to go to the last page in the general forums, pick a topic and post in it. Trust me on this one. It'll be hilar...aweso........good for the community. 

Edited by Skyhawke
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

10 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I didn't mean literal clones...just power base and origin. Though I did make my Hulk guys big with unnatural skin color, niether are green, or any other color I remember any of the Hulks being, but do have green somewhere in the overall scheme as a nod. One is shirtless and just wears shorts, the other is shirtless in a sleeveless trench coat with pants and shoes. Ah well if I get reported I get reported and hopefully they'll give me a free name change or whatever is need for compliance.

name changes are infinite.  just edit it on character load screen.  if you like the name make a bank of level 1s and let them hold favorites for later

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skyhawke said:

Welcome aboard! Now as a newbie, your first task is to go to the last page in the general forums, pick a topic and post in it. Trust me on this one. It'll be hilar...aweso........good for the community. 

I thought about necro'ing a thread. All the stuff I had questions about seem to have only been covered back in 2019, but I got the inclination that some things have changed since then. So I thought I'd just introduce myself and fire away hoping not to annoy the community. So far...so good, no one has really thrown up the 100 links and said "read these" or "covered already" or the old standby "use the search function newb!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WuTang said:

I thought about necro'ing a thread. All the stuff I had questions about seem to have only been covered back in 2019, but I got the inclination that some things have changed since then. So I thought I'd just introduce myself and fire away hoping not to annoy the community. So far...so good, no one has really thrown up the 100 links and said "read these" or "covered already" or the old standby "use the search function newb!"

Well fine:

Read everything here: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

And then we'll tell you what's changed later. 😉

it's a big game with a lot of nuances, but basic at start.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
4 hours ago, WuTang said:

Hi everyone! So been playing CoH a few weeks now and so far it's pretty great. The playstyle, the customizability in character creation (almost overwhelming and quite amazing), the vastness of powers, the enhancements (which was confusing at first), the AH (which is still kicking my butt)... Everything adds up to a really good experience. No "but" either.

I'm still in the new-boy phase where I'm just cloning my favorite super heroes from the comics so haven't gotten too exotic or original yet, though I did just create a "magic" Hulk as a Brute with dark melee and willpower armor. I did an original science super strength and invulnerability brute Hulk but it felt like I pigeonholed the toon, though I fully intend on leveling him out at some point. Oh I lied...did create an original Brute with energy/radiation fun combo so far. Also wanted to say....some of y'all have some incredible imaginations when it came to character creation. 

I came from playing WoW since vanilla and played Star Wars Galaxy before that and before that it was Doom 2 Team Fortress over my 56k modem, good ol'days...also first and last 1st person shooter I've ever played. I prefer a game with some meat to it, SWG almost had too much meat, huge sandbox.

Any ways, so far I seem to be partial to the Brutes, I've always preferred melee to range, and always like a side of tankiness with my damage. Am thinking about building a Tanker, are Tankers and Tanks the same thing? I ask because in creation you can select Tank or Melee but then Tanker is included in the melee set.

If y'all haven't figured it out yet, I suffer dearly from the same affliction alot of y'all do....altoholism.

The AH, man that is dog eat dog... You vets show no mercy, all good though. But I'm getting the hang of it...somewhat. I'm not raking in 100s of mil but I've socked away a few mil....nothing to brag about but it keeps the lights on.

Enhancements, what are "SO" etc? IOs are the sets, right?

Any who... I keep getting interupted which might make all this seem disjointed or maybe that's just my mind today.

I will have follow-up questions....

Thanks in advance! 

- WT

P.S. great community btw!

The auction house is a weird beastie and no mistake. It's quite simple to use though so here's a simple starter guide.

Type /AH to open the auction house in any open zone. It won't work in missions or in bases. Best done near a vendor so you can compare sale prices.

The Auction house uses the "lowest list price gets highest bid" system. So putting something on for 10 inf will net you the highest current bid. That might be 10 inf, it might be 50 million inf. It just depends on what the highest current bid is. Putting something on close to the price of the last 5 bids will sell eventually, but it could take weeks. It's a buyers market and anything listed for a lower price than yours will sell first. 

Salvage

White salvage is vendor trash, sell it at any vendor.

Yellow salvage price fluctuates wildly, drag it into the AH window and see what it sells for. If it's higher than the vendor then sell it on the AH otherwise vendor trash it.

Orange salvage don't even check. Drag it into the AH and list it for 10 inf.

Special salvage like catalysts and converters make good inf. Convert merits at a merit vendor to enhancement converters and sell them for instant inf.

Recipes

White are vendor trash

Yellow and orange you need to check each one individually and compare to the vendor sale price. Some go for millions, others go for pennies.

Purple don't even check, just drag them in and list them for 10 inf.

Sometimes you'll need to click the find button a few times to see the last 5 prices.

Buying

When buying enhancements like IO's or sets look at the last 5 prices and bid under that, then work up in increments. A 10 million inf sale might be available at 2 million, or 5 million. 

Always buy sets attuned when you buy them. There is a separate menu on the side to buy attuned. Attuned means the enhancement will level up or down with you so once slotted can be safely ignored. The Auction house strips the level off a sold enhancement and allocates a level or attunement depending on the choice of the player. The price is the same attuned as levelled as it's the same enhancement. The only reason not to attune is if you are level 50 and want to use boosters on them. Purples, PvP and procs don't need to be attuned.

And that's the basics of the auction house. Just be careful you don't buy a recipe instead of an enhancement, or an enhancement instead of a recipe. That happens a lot 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

The IP issue mainly is related to players making characters that do all 3 of these things:

1. Copy the color scheme
  2. Clone the costume
  3. Approximate the name

You can usually get away with one of the above. Choose wisely.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

6 hours ago, WuTang said:

so far I seem to be partial to the Brutes

Welcome aboard!  Please, if you do one thing, try as many ATs as you can, (excepting perhaps Peacebrings/Warshades or Soldiers of Arachnos/Fortunatas until you're a bit more familiar with the game).  You may find a combination that unexpectedly surprises you!  Bust most importantly, have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

@GM Crumpet I would have to disagree slightly regarding white salvage/recipes. There are always people working on their Crafting Badges, so there are always people looking for these on the AH. Is it a huge return? Not really, but it also gains you progress towards AH badges, for those of us who care. Otherwise yeah, they are pretty much trash.