Server status

Defize

14 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Amazon can, and has, erased books off of Kindles before. And they've even done it without informing the owners.

Yes, they have.  That's why there are DRM-free ebooks that can be backed up.

And how long until your books get rewritten by the adherents of "Current Year Ideology"?

Never, because I back them up.

How long before you're forced to watch ads on your Kindle?

Hasn't happened since 2010.  If that was to happen, I'd just switch to one of my Kobo e-readers.

How long will you be able to read your Kindle beside the fireplace when the power's been out for 3 days?

A couple of weeks.

Edited by Lunar Ronin
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

How long before you're forced to watch ads on your Kindle?

This is a real issue. For those who may not have been paying attention, Amazon Prime Video, long the backbone of the reason to have Prime, has now started showing ads in content unless you pony up another $3 a month. This, after Prime has risen to $190 a year.

Streaming is a laboratory grade example of hypercapitalism* at work, and I will be colored in no bit Unsurprised Gray when ads come to Kindle.

* A specific term and practice, not a neolog for 'wildly out of control evil capitalist meanness.' 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

16 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

How long will you be able to read your Kindle beside the fireplace when the power's been out for 3 days?

A tablet is good for about 2-3 days of use if you're careful. The Kindle Paperwhite readers have crazy battery life, often a month or more of light daily use.

Which will make the ads and the disappearado books all the nicer, I guess. 🙂

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Never, because I back them up.

And just how easy is it for most people (who don't have advanced computer skills) to do this?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, evetsleep said:

In other words, it's a great day to:

• do the laundry
  • start your homework
  • go grocery shopping
  • clean that friggin fridge out
  • play with the kids
  • go for a walk
  • earn some spouse points
  • take the dog for a walk
  • take the cat for a run drag (edited for accuracy)
  • turn to the left and login and work for once
  • Finally finish X on your streaming service of choice
  • Start the rewatch of Game of Thrones, Lost, The Boys, etc.. (again)
  • Finally check in some of that completed code at work that you've been nervous about sharing with others
  • Take the trash out!

I'm sure I'm missing something, but except for our lovely dev's I think today's a great day to give the game a break and do something else.

Already done, and folded and put away!

I'm far past that age.

Already done!

Did last week. Clean as a whistle.

Don't have any.

Severe thunderstorm with way too much lightning. No.

He's asleep and sick.

Don't have one.

The cat is hiding under the couch in the front room because of the storm.

Disabled and jobless.

I don't sub to streaming services and am caught up on everything I currently want to watch.

Never seen them and don't plan to.

N/A

The bins were emptied last night and bin night isn't until next Wednesday.

While the above is the truth, the tone is meant to be lighthearted. tbh, with the way the storm is starting to rage, I'm likely to turn the PC off and go back to bed. It's 7:35 am in my part of the world.

43 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Where do those stairs go?

Up.

They go up.

• Haha 1

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

Servers back up.

And so...it begins...

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

19 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Any decent tablet is more flexible, unless you want to read a LOT of Kindle books and in bright light.

The problem with Kindle etc. being that Jeffy can reach out and take books away from you. OTOH, it's of benefit that I can update any of my books and they're pushed automatically to all previous buyers.

Tablet may be more flexible, but e-ink is easier on the eyes. Kindle is better for weight and handling too.

• Like 1