Questions about the Flying Carpet

Pekiti

I love the look of the flying carpet flight power, it fits my character theme, but I have questions.

1. It looks like it won't let me activate powers while riding it, but it appears my (already active) toggles continue to work, is that right?

2. Is there anything I can do to make it fly faster?

3. Is there any way to change the color of it?

your toggles continue to be activated so that when you stop using the carpet, they function again, without having to re-toggle.

No you can't make it fly faster - if you want to go faster a) scream or b) use a regular travel power

somebody made a mod for the hoverboard on live I believe, that would change the texture locally. But it would look the same in game to all other players. I don't know if such a mod exists for the carpet

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

4 hours ago, Pekiti said:

1. It looks like it won't let me activate powers while riding it, but it appears my (already active) toggles continue to work, is that right?

You should be limited to self only powers.  But you should be able to turn on toggles and activate powers that only affect yourself.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

You should be limited to self only powers.  But you should be able to turn on toggles and activate powers that only affect yourself.

I wonder if Shadowfall (toggled on before I summon the carpet) will still affect my team. I will have to test this.

Well, I can fly through a lot of missions on the carpet and stay cloaked etc...which fits the theme.

I did discover that it appears "you cannot increase the carpet's flight speed" is technically incorrect. If you slot Fly Speed into Swift, it affects all of your flying powers. One level 25 IO makes the Carpet almost as fast as unslotted Mystic Flight (according to the in game status monitor). It feels faster too, but this is what the stats window shows.

image.png.9345ad33cecf8c8ffb69d86a85b4273f.png Swift with 1 Fly speed IO, carpet active

image.png.2293daca77145b9b48c3aebbf8ffc005.pngSwift unslotted, Mystic Flight active

The wiki does say that the carpet should ignore any buffs or set bonuses, but I don't have a way to test that by myself. So (in theory) if I wanted to save a power pick I could spend a slot or two in Swift to buff my Carpet flight speed. Probably futile, but interesting to me.

Edited by Pekiti
corrected pic captions
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pekiti said:

Well, I can fly through a lot of missions on the carpet and stay cloaked etc...which fits the theme.

I did discover that it appears "you cannot increase the carpet's flight speed" is technically incorrect. If you slot Fly Speed into Swift, it affects all of your flying powers. One level 25 IO makes the Carpet almost as fast as unslotted Mystic Flight (according to the in game status monitor). It feels faster too, but this is what the stats window shows.

image.png.9345ad33cecf8c8ffb69d86a85b4273f.png Swift with 1 Fly speed IO, carpet active

image.png.2293daca77145b9b48c3aebbf8ffc005.pngSwift unslotted, Mystic Flight active

The wiki does say that the carpet should ignore any buffs or set bonuses, but I don't have a way to test that by myself. So (in theory) if I wanted to save a power pick I could spend a slot or two in Swift to buff my Carpet flight speed. Probably futile, but interesting to me.

Depending on your AT, there are secondary powers to boost flight etc...

/e poofgone

7 hours ago, Pekiti said:

I just dropped one into my usually empty slot on a toon I have the carpet on, it does seem a bit faster (also turns out I already had a few movement boosts from sets etc.)  Since it's usually an empty slot, seems it can't hurt to throw one in, right?

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Pekiti said:

I wonder if Shadowfall (toggled on before I summon the carpet) will still affect my team. I will have to test this.

No, the three flight powers like this (rocket board, glowie disk, and carpet) all put you in "only affecting self" mode. 

You can eat inspirations, turn your own powers on and off, teleport yourself, etc, but can't attack enemies or buff your team.

19 hours ago, Pekiti said:

I did discover that it appears "you cannot increase the carpet's flight speed" is technically incorrect.

[ObiWan] It's correct... from a certain point of view. [/ObiWan]

Movement Speed is a little weird.  FlyingSpeed is an attribute of the character.  What movement powers do is increase those movement speed attributes (running, leaping, flying) of your character.  In other words, Swift isn't increasing the flying speed of the Flying Carpet.  It's increasing the flying speed of your character.  Flying Carpet is ALSO increasing the flying speed of your character.  That's what you see in the list of values in the movement speed combat monitor.

What it means when it says you can't increase the speed of the carpet is that you can't increase the contribution made to your overall flight speed BY the carpet.  That's to contrast with powers like Flight or Mystic Flight which can be enhanced for fly speed.  Enhancing those powers increases the amount they contribute to your overall flight speed.  That can't be done with Flying Carpet.  It always adds the same amount to your flight speed when toggled on.

Put another way, you can place enhancements into Mystic Flight and you'll see its line in the combat monitor increase in value (i.e. the number next to Mystic Flight will go up as well as the total flight speed).   But Flying Carpet will always add that same number you already see in your pics when you toggle it on.

A fun trick while on a Magic Carpet(or skiff, or rocket board) is to use Mystic Flight's teleport while flying on it. You arrive at your destination on your chosen mode of transport in a circle-y flash. 

What, me worry?

4 hours ago, ZemX said:

[ObiWan] It's correct... from a certain point of view. [/ObiWan]

You are TECHNICALLY correct, Bureaucrat Hermes, which is the best kind of correct.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:25 AM, Pekiti said:

When you are using the flying carpet, rocket board, or void skiff none of your powers are functional.

The toggle powers don't detoggle so you don't have to fiddle with turning them back on every time you stop using the flying carpet - but they don't do anything while you have the flying carpet active.

2. Is there anything I can do to make it fly faster?

not that I know of.

3. Is there any way to change the color of it?

There are ways to mod sounds and visual effects, but only you and those using those mods would see them the way that the mod has changed them.

That being said, I don't fiddle with mods so I don't know if there is one of the magic carpet or not.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.