XP boosts/XP curve playing without

Ghost49X

It didn't strike me at first when I came back but the xp curve has been thrown out of wack, this is without me using the P2W xp boosters. I easily out level zones and before I even get to sample most of the content. I get that some people can't get enough lvls/hour, but some of us might want to take things slow for nostalgia's sake. Keep the xp boosters (or even increase them if you must) but allow those of us who prefer the player experience over the destination to work at a "normal" pace. As things are, the xp rate is too high to be able to appreciate the game.

Any ideas of what can be done sort of constantly freezing / unfreezing xp gain or purposely dying to accumulate debt in an effort to slow myself down.

Keeping the difficulty level at '-1' might help as well.

Granted this will only work if you mostly solo and don't mind it making things much easier.

I'm not sure why they didn't add a "Half XP/Normal Inf" option at the P2W vendor to be honest.. Boosting Inf would be problematic for inflation reasons, but I see no harm in offering people an option to decrease XP gain for themselves while leaving Inf gain unchanged.

Granted this will only work if you mostly solo and don't mind it making things much easier.

I'm not sure why they didn't add a "Half XP/Normal Inf" option at the P2W vendor to be honest.. Boosting Inf would be problematic for inflation reasons, but I see no harm in offering people an option to decrease XP gain for themselves while leaving Inf gain unchanged.

Boosting inf wouldn't be a problem at all, since you can already get double inf if you turn XP off at level 50 or while exemplared.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

You don't have to toggle your XP on and off regularly. Turn it off at every level which ends in a 4 or a 9, until you've totally run out of all available missions from all possible contacts. Then you turn it on again, and level up whatever way you choose to the next level which ends in a 4 or a 9, and then turn it off again.

You also still gain XP when exemplared, so you can pretty much just Flashback all the soloable story content as soon as you've outleveled it.  Creating an SG base just to add a Pillar of Fire and Ice makes it very easy.

Also, doesn't the P2W vendor offer negative XP boosts?  -25%, -50%, -100% ...?  If I'm remembering it right ... slap on a -25% XP, get some extra INF along the way, and no outlevelling content.  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Also, doesn't the P2W vendor offer negative XP boosts?  -25%, -50%, -100% ...?  If I'm remembering it right ... slap on a -25% XP, get some extra INF along the way, and no outlevelling content.  :)

It does not Pax, it works the opposite.  Get at 50% XP boost, get 50% reduction in Inf.  And the exemplar option for no XP and double inf is exactly that, only for examplaring, which doesn’t help you for your own content, just others.

However I am definitely a +1 for what you suggest to become a reality.  I wouldn’t mine getting Inf boosters that cut my XP.  Because otherwise my alternatives are -

1.) Reduce difficulty and lose any sense of challenge

2.) Outlevel Content.  Yes, there is Flashback, but it would be nice to be able finish a story arc and missions that I currently have without getting too high a level for the content.

3.) Play the same content as everyone else but with half the rewards by turning off XP

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I think it's both intentional and a good idea to have more content than needed to level. This adds a lot of replayability when levelling alts. It'd suck to have only the same arcs to play from 1-20 on every alt.

Agreed, but I often can’t finish one story arc (much less several) without leveling too quick.

Regardless, it would be nice to support all 3 playstyles -

1.) Want to level quick, go get an XP boost and farm/DFB like crazy

2.) Want to level normal - well then away you go, you are all set.

3.) Want to level slower?  Turn off XP (wait a sec, that’s not leveling at all)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

However I am definitely a +1 for what you suggest to become a reality.  I wouldn’t mine getting Inf boosters that cut my XP.  Because otherwise my alternatives are -

1.) Reduce difficulty and lose any sense of challenge

2.) Outlevel Content.  Yes, there is Flashback, but it would be nice to be able finish a story arc and missions that I currently have without getting too high a level for the content.

3.) Play the same content as everyone else but with half the rewards by turning off XP

This exactly,

While I could reduce the challenge, most of my fun in this game comes from punching above my weight. Also I doubt inf boosters or even just a booster that cuts xp would be all that hard to code in. I mean they copy what they did with the XP boosters and switch the numbers around.

It didn't strike me at first when I came back but the xp curve has been thrown out of wack, this is without me using the P2W xp boosters. I easily out level zones and before I even get to sample most of the content. I get that some people can't get enough lvls/hour, but some of us might want to take things slow for nostalgia's sake. Keep the xp boosters (or even increase them if you must) but allow those of us who prefer the player experience over the destination to work at a "normal" pace. As things are, the xp rate is too high to be able to appreciate the game.

Any ideas of what can be done sort of constantly freezing / unfreezing xp gain or purposely dying to accumulate debt in an effort to slow myself down.

This is the normal pace. The XP curve was adjusted waaay back in issue 11, resulting in a faster leveling rate across all levels.

This can't be the normal pace, I finish contacts in my zone and I have to skip up to two zones ahead of where I should be. Even without DFB, the AE or boosters I've made almost 10 levels after running with a team for for about 6 hours. Maybe set the xp rate after inf boosters to be close to what it was prior to issue 11?

/bind 1, "powexec_slot 1$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 2, "powexec_slot 2$$option_set noXp 0"

/bind 3, "powexec_slot 3$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 4, "powexec_slot 4$$option_set noXp 0"

/bind 5, "powexec_slot 5$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 6, "powexec_slot 6$$option_set noXp 0"

/bind 7, "powexec_slot 7$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 8, "powexec_slot 8$$option_set noXp 0"

/bind 9, "powexec_slot 9$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 0, "powexec_slot 10$$option_set noXp 0"

Should cut your XP gain roughly in half, unless you're one o' them clickers.

where I should be...

As of Issue 11, you are 'where you should be'.

You have the option to turn off XP just like on Live if you want to do the arcs at-level.

Why do so many people want to change things _for everyone_ when they have tools at thier disposal?

Like others, I don't have an issue with more options, but don't force pre-i11 on the rest of us just because you want to go slow.

/bind 1, "powexec_slot 1$$option_set noXp 1"

/bind 0, "powexec_slot 10$$option_set noXp 0"

Should cut your XP gain roughly in half, unless you're one o' them clickers.

I appreciate the effort on this - it's a decent workaround to slowing XP, but it's not a real solution to the imbalance...

For example, let's say hypothetically, that an end of mission reward is 1000 XP and 1000 Inf, or to put another way, it's 2000 units of Reward

With a 25% XP booster, it's 1250 XP and 750 Inf = 2000 units Reward

With a 50% XP booster, it's 1500 XP and 500 Inf = 2000 Reward

And with 100% XP boost, it's 2000XP and no Inf = 2000 Reward

On the other hand if I turn off XP, it's no XP and 1000 Inf = 1000 Reward, or half the reward for the same effort...

PixelPower, your solution, if we assume random chance of where everything rolls at the end of a mission would look like:

• XP is turned on for 1 mission = 1000 XP + 1000 Inf = 2000 Reward
  • XP is turned off for 1 mission = 1000 Inf = 1000 Reward

And if we average that together, we get 1500 Reward on average, so still not on par with everyone else

Additionally, your solution is an extreme workaround at best, because it assumes that people will be randomly pushing there powers and there you end your attack chain typically on "5", which result in still getting full XP most of time.  And, as you mentioned, it assumes button mashing, not clicking.  And it requires people to do a more advanced function in the game which most will be unaware of and fewer still can execute properly.

I'd love to see a "XP suppressor" that gives a 50% cut in XP and a 50% boost in Inf.  Mostly want it for the XP suppression, because while the Inf boost is "fair", it hasn't really been an issue for me, because I play a little of the Auction House so I have not really been wanting for XP since my first character hit 20.

Also, doesn't the P2W vendor offer negative XP boosts?

It does not Pax, it works the opposite.

I know the positive XP boosts incur an equal penalty to INF rates.

I just thought there were also REDUCED XP options for sale, that worked the other way around: less XP meant more INF.  You'll see I highlighted that, in the quote above.  :)

If there isn't .... then I would suggest this would be a very good thing for the HC dev team to implement.  (Maybe limit them to level 49-, since at 50 you go to pure INF anyway ...)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I know the positive XP boosts incur an equal penalty to INF rates.

I just thought there were also REDUCED XP options for sale, that worked the other way around: less XP meant more INF.  You'll see I highlighted that, in the quote above.  :)

If there isn't .... then I would suggest this would be a very good thing for the HC dev team to implement.  (Maybe limit them to level 49-, since at 50 you go to pure INF anyway ...)

Sorry Pax, my wording was poor...but there are not negative XP boosters...Agree it should be implemented... :)

There is, Solarverse.

It's not intuitive or easy to do, though.  Certainly, it's not as visible as the XP Boost powers from the P2W vendor.

Wait, I always thought there was a way to turn of xp? I have never done it, but always thought it was an option.

As Pax said there is a way.  But it would be nice to have the option to not have to micromanage turning on/off XP, but rather be able to earn it at a slower pace.  Much like the XP Boosters aren't double XP only, but provide various tiers.  And unlike the XP boosts, turning off XP doesn't boost your inf gain.

I suggested in a different thread, but I'd like to see a "Reward" slider added to the options so we can control our XP-Influence rewards so that people who want to level slower get reduced XP but higher influence and people who want to level faster get increased XP and lower influence (essentially building in the P2W vendor) as a slider per character.

Of course, now that I'm leveling again, I'm also reminded that I'd kill to have someone go back through and organize the Contacts and Story Arcs to level cleanly per zone and also let us know what origins each arc is for so you're not constantly running between zones.  I forgot who much I did not miss "Run from Atlas to KR to Perez to Atlas to KR to Perez" to Skyway to SC to Skyway to SC to Faultline etc.

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

I suggested in a different thread, but I'd like to see a "Reward" slider added to the options so we can control our XP-Influence rewards so that people who want to level slower get reduced XP but higher influence and people who want to level faster get increased XP and lower influence (essentially building in the P2W vendor) as a slider per character.

Of course, now that I'm leveling again, I'm also reminded that I'd kill to have someone go back through and organize the Contacts and Story Arcs to level cleanly per zone and also let us know what origins each arc is for so you're not constantly running between zones.  I forgot who much I did not miss "Run from Atlas to KR to Perez to Atlas to KR to Perez" to Skyway to SC to Skyway to SC to Faultline etc.

I remember reading in a post recently (maybe that one?) that the Dev's had tried something like that and it didn't work well.  The current "XP Boost" for an hour was the workaround...

The base xps curve hasn't changed unless you modify it yourself  ia P2W or notoriety settings.  Outleveling the contacts in a particular level band before you see them all has always occurred in this game, except for a couple issues in the 35 to 40 band right after the game launched.  To me, this is a good thing.  Having a glut of content is way better than what you see in a lot of other games where every character gets the same thing every time.  Makes it a lot less likely you'll be bored.

you can turn off xp if you want.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!