Powers that need alternate animations

My suggestion: Poison

Most of the attacks in Poison are launched from the character's mouth, and there isn't an alternate animation for any of them.

Annoying. All the Mind Control attacks can be swapped to fire brain-beams from the hands. Why no love for Poison? Why does my Poison Defender have to hock loogies at my enemies?

What other powers need some animation customization?

• Thumbs Up 9

All non-weapon ranged sets, both attack and support oriented, should have options for psi-style forehead emanation, eyes, mouth, chest, one or two hands and any melee weapon; all attacks fired from long guns should be able to be fired one or two-handed, have alternate arm gauntlet animations (like Deadshot's wrist guns) or fire from mechanical shoulder armatures (like the Crab Spider backpack). All no-weapon melee sets should have at least one set of alternate animations like Super Strength does for as many powers as possible, especially making punches into kicks and vice versa.

No, I don't care how much work this would take, but I do know that if the project were announced I would be extremely likely to donate for it.

• Like 1

I'd like to see weapons options for most of the attacks in game.  Poison especially.  I'd like to be able to hold a squirt gun or a trang gun and shoot poison stuffs at people.  Or spray them down with it I guess.  Most of the other "elemental" like fire and ice attacks too could use a weapon the attack shoots from rather than from the users' body.

Bio Armor needs a minimal FX that removes the additional geometry, the shells and casings that automatically happen on a player's body.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I'd like to see weapons options for most of the attacks in game.  Poison especially.  I'd like to be able to hold a squirt gun or a trang gun and shoot poison stuffs at people.  Or spray them down with it I guess.  Most of the other "elemental" like fire and ice attacks too could use a weapon the attack shoots from rather than from the users' body.

Hoo boy that's a big old can of worms. Adding (optional!) props to every ranged power is basically a redesign of the whole power system.

58 minutes ago, strangething said:

Hoo boy that's a big old can of worms. Adding (optional!) props to every ranged power is basically a redesign of the whole power system.

I would kind of hope this isn't literally true, but I guess it could be true, at least mostly true.  Just as an aside it's possible to modify code by changing it piecemeal while still keeping code compilable and working (sometimes referred to as changing all the parts of a race car while still driving it around the track).  But I can see that this might not be what someone wants to do with their spare time too.

19 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

Bio Armor needs a minimal FX that removes the additional geometry, the shells and casings that automatically happen on a player's body.

Every set needs to have a downside. Bio doesn't seem to have any except for the horrible appearance. I always thought that was the downside.

For example:

Invuln: "You get to be awesome, but you have a weakness to Psi attacks."

Stone: "You get to be awesome, but you're slow."

SR: "You get to be awesome, but you don't have a self-heal."

Bio: "You get to be awesome, but you look like giant poo man."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, strangething said:

Most of the attacks in Poison are launched from the character's mouth

Not to be pedantic, but aren't only 2 of the powers from the mouth? Either way, I would also like to be able to change them from launching from the mouth; the set is kind of all over the place theme-wise partially because it's like, am I concocting poisons or am I producing them from my body...?

55 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Every set needs to have a downside. Bio doesn't seem to have any except for the horrible appearance. I always thought that was the downside.

I just tell myself that Bio Armor is Plant Armor, make it green and bam! My Stalker is now a Thorns/Plant Stalker.

Edited by Trickshooter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

2 hours ago, AmbiguousOmen said:

Make the personal attacks from the Ninjas MM set throw shuriken instead of using a bow and arrow, please.

Only as an option. Archery was very much also used by ninja, and I like my arrows.

1 hour ago, Trickshooter said:

Not to be pedantic, but aren't only 2 of the powers from the mouth? Either way, I would also like to be able to change them from launching from the mouth; the set is kind of all over the place theme-wise partially because it's like, am I concocting poisons or am I producing them from my body...?

Honestly, I didn't play my poison character that long. Let me check the wiki.

There are 5-6 attack powers in the set. I know Envenom is from the mouth, and I assume Neurotoxic Breath is. Venomous Gas is an AoE Toggle, so I guess it spews out everywhere.

That leaves Weaken, Paralytic Poison, and Poison Trap. I dunno how they animate.

8 minutes ago, strangething said:

Honestly, I didn't play my poison character that long. Let me check the wiki.

There are 5-6 attack powers in the set. I know Envenom is from the mouth, and I assume Neurotoxic Breath is. Venomous Gas is an AoE Toggle, so I guess it spews out everywhere.

That leaves Weaken, Paralytic Poison, and Poison Trap. I dunno how they animate.

You can check the animations in the character creator.

Alkaloid is tossed.

Envenom is spat.

Weaken is fired from the hand.

Neurotoxic Breath is exhaled.

Elixir of Life is thrown/slammed.

Antidote is tossed.

Paralytic Poison is fired from the wrist like a dart.

Poison Trap is placed.

Venomous Gas emanates along the ground.

14 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I would kind of hope this isn't literally true, but I guess it could be true, at least mostly true.  Just as an aside it's possible to modify code by changing it piecemeal while still keeping code compilable and working (sometimes referred to as changing all the parts of a race car while still driving it around the track).  But I can see that this might not be what someone wants to do with their spare time too.

it isn't true

I switch around animations all the time 

its actually not terribly difficult and works well as long as the cast times match up

tbh finding animations with matching cast times is the most difficult part 😞 

the changes are only user side, so only you will see your different animations

but that's good enough for me

head over to the mod section of the forum to find out more

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

6 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

it isn't true

I switch around animations all the time 

its actually not terribly difficult and works well as long as the cast times match up

This is more like what I'd expect.  However I think there's a difference between modding stuff on your own computer, and making all the changes necessary for it to be accessible for everyone.  Choosing animations is part of my character, like my costume, and I want others to see how I have chosen to animate my character.  It's part of the look.

But yes, fundamentally, I'd expect that the code has a "slot" for each powers' animation, and an animation for each power just gets put into the "slot" for that power, which then plays when you use that power.  It doesn't sound like a game breaking change.

On 5/21/2024 at 4:19 AM, Player2 said:

Spellcasting animations for all control, support, and ranged power sets...  including dual pistols.

Handwave, pew pew!!

arm gun, ala Megaman or Samus...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azari said:

arm gun, ala Megaman or Samus...

This reminds me, there should be an option to set your attack animations to all use the same hand. I'd like to use the asymmetry options to give my techie character one big, chunky gauntlet. But attack animations always alternate arms.

On 5/19/2024 at 8:33 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

of all sets I'd say poison needs love the most

a larger radius on the debuffs would do the set wonders

and maybe apply the splash effect to the heal but keep the 7ft radius as an homage to how things used to be whilist buffing 3 powers

or maybe come up with a new mechanic where ground powers like caltrops and tar pit can be formed into a cone and apply that to nox breath

or maybe add an enhanceable resist effect to the res power because it can also be used as a mule as you rez maybe 1 or 2 people a week

and

oh right back to the spirit of the thread.

you know the first thug upgrade animation where you take something out of your jacket and throw it?  that animation for some poison application

widow single dart

caltrops throwing

and  a downgrade animation, spine's throw

katana out throwing a knife animation

kinetic melees focused burst

• Like 1

All of them do.. 

I think every power set should allow you to pretend its something different then what the set is.

EG Poison set.. 
Give the player the ability to color it bluish and change it up a bit and the player can pretend they are shooting ice type powers instead of poison. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, Azari said:

Radiation armor should have minimal FX. Radioactive things usually dont glow or look flashy in real life.   I’d like invisible radiation.

I would like "invisible" as an option for lots of things, separate from minimal FX. As in, invisible swords, invisible defense fields, invisible costume elements, etc. It's a classic supernatural fiction trope! For PVP concerns, make such elements unable to be used in costume slot 1 or force you to switch to a non-invisible costume before entering any PVP activity.

Edited by Jack Spanky

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:19 AM, Player2 said:

Spellcasting animations for all control, support, and ranged power sets...  including dual pistols.

Handwave, pew pew!!

I wish ranged weapon sets had options for spectacular projectile FX, even if their actual damage type is still just S/L most of the time. I can pick a raygun visual for Dual Pistols or Assault Rifle and several fantasy bows but they still shoots mundane bullets/arrows, why can't I make it look and sound like a space blaster or mana arrows too?

Edited by Jack Spanky
*bows*, autocorrect, not bowls, thank you